Supergirl Supergirl Costume Discussion Thread

Presumably Supergirl is wearing knickers under her skirt though.

Most tennis players wear the equivalent of cycling shorts under their skirts.

I’m a fan of skirts (and knickers, for that matter :word:). But I never understood the “fashion logic” of women’s tennis, figure skating, etc. I.e., the skirt is so designed that a glimpse of knickers is inevitable. So why not just lose the skirt and “own” the knickers?

That said, I’m slightly more knowledgeable about superheroes than sports. And it’s clear that the depiction/(s)exploitation of women in the superhero genre is something of a hot button issue. So in that regard, my fear is that a short-skirted Supergirl will feed into that dispute and become a distraction. Whereas - other costume designs (while still being fetching) could immediately forestall any learned debates on whether knickers or “squirrel shots” are innocent/risqué/exploitative/etc.

I’m a fan of skirts (and knickers, for that matter :word:). But I never understood the “fashion logic” of women’s tennis, figure skating, etc. I.e., the skirt is so designed that a glimpse of knickers is inevitable. So why not just lose the skirt and “own” the knickers?

That said, I’m slightly more knowledgeable about superheroes than sports. And it’s clear that the depiction/(s)exploitation of women in the superhero genre is something of a hot button issue. So in that regard, my fear is that a short-skirted Supergirl will feed into that dispute and become a distraction. Whereas - other costume designs (while still being fetching) could immediately forestall any learned debates on whether knickers or “squirrel shots” are innocent/risqué/exploitative/etc.

Tennis players' skirts always fly up when they are serving. But they all wear skin-tight cycling shorts underneath or something similar.

Maria-Sharapova-at-the-Au-003.jpg

Maria_Sharapova_at_2009_Roland_Garros,_Paris,_France.jpg

I think they look very stylish and sporty and don't expose any knickers. I'd be happy if Supergirl had something similar.

Yeah,I've never really understood the "Someone will look up her skirt!" thing. No one is saying Supergirl should go commando,(at least that I'm aware of) I'm sure she'll have the appropriate apparel,not unlike figure skaters and tennis players. They don't seem particularly concerned about their knickers being glimpsed.

Yeah,I've never really understood the "Someone will look up her skirt!" thing. No one is saying Supergirl should go commando,(at least that I'm aware of) I'm sure she'll have the appropriate apparel,not unlike figure skaters and tennis players. They don't seem particularly concerned about their knickers being glimpsed.

That's why I didn't get the squirrel shot remark that Comic Chick made, because you'd think a squirrel might refer to certain hair down there, which wouldn't be showing unless one went commando. Must definitely be a southern expression.

Also, I think these tennis dresses look so elegant and stylish. If Supergirl had something like that for her skirt, it would look great. Since she's invulnerable, she can wear what she likes to fight crime instead of having something to protect her. It's not like sports clothing is anything to be ashamed of at all.

I'm guessing we still get a skirt. They didn't seem to mind giving Wonder Woman the skirt in BVS. I doubt Supergirl will be any different.:shrug:

A battle skirt that has real life, historical precedence in combat is different than a cloth skirt that...well...doesn't. You can't compare the two.

We don't know at this point what the material of the skirt will be like. I'm guessing it will be ridged enough not to flair up and give the prudes a heart attack.

If they're going to give her a skirt, why would it be made out of anything other than the usual material?

You're also making a pretty wide generalization by assuming everyone who doesn't want a skirt is a prude.

You can't complain that there's problems with giving her a skirt made out of the usual material (while suggesting making it out of a different material would be different) and then ask "why would it be made out of anything other than the usual material." Maybe the reason for the change would be to address your concerns?

You can't complain that there's problems with giving her a skirt made out of the usual material (while suggesting making it out of a different material would be different) and then ask "why would it be made out of anything other than the usual material." Maybe the reason for the change would be to address your concerns?

Exactly.

Anyway,it's not really a problem anyway you slice it. Her costume is from Krypton culture. Just because it's not a "battle skirt" by your narrow definition, doesn't mean that's not what they wear on Krypton.

I don't remember any outrage when that teen girl on Heroes with the Wolverine powers paraded around in a cheerleader outfit for her costume. At least Supergirl has some 60 or so years of precedence behind her.

1) What I was suggesting was that putting Wonder Woman in a skirt is a lot more justifiable than doing the same for Supergirl because there were people who dressed similarly to the former for combat in real life. Wonder Woman has real life justification for her skirt. Supergirl doesn't. Therefore, their situations aren't comparable. I brought up the material of Supergirl's skirt to emphasize the fact that it's nothing more than what it is; a piece of cloth with no relevant connotation or history.

2) I asked why he thought they'd alter the material because I legitimately don't see why they would. If they want her in a skirt, she's going to wear a skirt. I don't know why we should assume that they'd go through the trouble of adjusting the skirt to combat the problems of wearing a skirt when they have other, simpler, and more sensible alternatives. I think it's much likelier, for example, that they'd just give her shorts to wear underneath.

Anyway,it's not really a problem anyway you slice it.

Sure it is.

Her costume is from Krypton culture.

Okay?

Just because it's not a "battle skirt" by your narrow definition, doesn't mean that's not what they wear on Krypton.

When have you ever seen anyone on Krypton wear anything resembling a skirt in combat?

Her costume would be more likely to be based on casual wear. That's fine and dandy, but...why would you want to wear that if you were a superhero?

I don't remember any outrage when that teen girl on Heroes...

What happened on that show isn't really relevant to me or how I feel about Supergirl's costume.

Last edited:
Sure it is.
No...it really isn't.

Alright?

When have you ever seen anyone on Krypton wear anything resembling a skirt in combat?

Frankly, since it's a fictionalized world (that apparently will not represent the Krypton of MOS and it's fashions) they could make their battle suits a T shirt & Jeans for all we know.
Her costume would be more likely to be based on casual wear. That's fine and dandy, but...why would you want to wear that if you were a superhero?
Why would Superman wear blue tights and a cape?

It's somewhat admirable to put some thought into the practicality of costumes, but at the end of the day they are what they are. You put too much thought in and out comes Trank's FF costumes.

What happened on that show isn't really relevant to me or how I feel about Supergirl's costume.

If that Heroes costume turns out more accurate than what we get for Supergirl is what concerns me.

No...it really isn't.

We're not going to keep going back and forth are we?

Frankly, since it's a fictionalized world (that apparently will not represent the Krypton of MOS and it's fashions) they could make their battle suits a T shirt & Jeans for all we know.

They could, but it would look pretty silly. It would look even sillier if they wore skirts like Supergirl's.

Why would Superman wear blue tights and a cape?

The bodysuit is made out of extremely durable material and covers his entire body.

The cape looks cool and is usually able to provide humans with protection from the elements.

It's somewhat admirable to put some thought into the practicality of costumes, but at the end of the day they are what they are.

Practicality is only part of the issue. Frankly, I just don't like that she wears a skirt. I think pants or shorts would look better.

Last edited:
Especially since:

-Artists seemingly cannot help themselves with the "upskirt shots of a teenage girl." Miss Martian suffers from this as well, and it's really creepy.

and

-She's not a teenage on the show. She's in her mid-20's. Her being that old and wearing a mini-skirt as her SUPERHERO COSTUME just doesn't sit right with me.

What about all these tennis players? Some are in their mid to late 20s and their skirts aren't exactly down to their ankles just to be age appropriate.

Tennis players aren't superheroes. Besides, I've never understood why they wear skirts, anyway.

So no woman above the age of 25 should wear a skirt?

As I mentioned, I don’t really “get” the fashion choices in certain women’s sports. But I’ll leave it to those sports (and the women, themselves) to deal with any sartorial issues (perhaps there are none).

It’s clear, however, that the depiction of females within the superhero genre is much more contentious and controversial. IOW, there’s “baggage” (thong bikini briefs, “boob windows,” strange/sexualized poses [as described by “the Hawkeye Initiative”], etc.) that movie/TV producers should be aware of and be sensitive to.

Now if the Supergirl costume (even if it incorporates a skirt) looks cool and awesome and suitably appropriate for an action hero, then fair enough. But if it resembles a cutesy/revealing cheerleader’s outfit, then (imo) there’s a missed opportunity for a more image-positive representation of women (given that the genre has a dubious reputation on this front).

We're not going to keep going back and forth are we?
I hate multi-quote back and forths so I certainly hope not.:oldrazz:

They could, but it would look pretty silly. It would look even sillier if they wore skirts like Supergirl's.
To you it might. To Kryptonians,probably not.That's the point. Her Kryptonian garb is not supposed to empress us with it's practicality,it's a symbol of her culture.

The bodysuit is made out of extremely durable material and covers his entire body.
The cape looks cool and is usually able to provide humans with protection from the elements.
That's my point about it's durability earlier.Her skirt will not be the same material as Slater's,anymore than Cavill's costume was like Reeve's.

The skirt looks as cool as the cape and is just as unnecessary.

They don't need protection from their costumes,being invulnerable as they are. And I doubt you'll see Supe loan his cape around to protect humans.

Practicality is only part of the issue. Frankly, I just don't like that she wears a skirt. I think pants or shorts would look better.
Well,that's on you. But, it's hardly a case where it needs to be practical.

She's invulnerable (so she doesn't need armor)
She's from another culture (so she doesn't have to conform to what our society would wear.)

Especially since:

-Artists seemingly cannot help themselves with the "upskirt shots of a teenage girl." Miss Martian suffers from this as well, and it's really creepy.

and

-She's not a teenage on the show. She's in her mid-20's. Her being that old and wearing a mini-skirt as her SUPERHERO COSTUME just doesn't sit right with me.

I think you can put your fears to rest that there will be no voyeuristic camera angles looking up her skirt. I'm willing to bet on that.

In the 50's when Supergirl was created/first popular, I'm pretty sure they managed to depict her in action without upskirt shots. It's not impossible.

And as I said earlier,her being in her 20's makes it even MORE appropriate. Not many parents would let their teen girls go out in a mini skirt. But we're talking about a grown woman,so no need for concern.

To Kryptonians,probably not.

Based on what? When have you ever seen Kryptonians - other than Supergirl - fight in anything that resembled casual clothing? What have you seen or heard that would lead you to believe that they will do so on this show?

Her Kryptonian garb is not supposed to empress us with it's practicality,it's a symbol of her culture.

I never said it was supposed to.

Also: the "symbol of her culture" angle would work just as well - if not better - with shorts or pants.

That's my point about it's durability earlier.Her skirt will not be the same material as Slater's,anymore than Cavill's costume was like Reeve's.

At what point did we discuss the durability of Supergirl's skirt? Why would that even be a topic of conversation?

Also: the comparison you're trying to make doesn't work. The materials of the bodysuits in question are different because they were created in two different time periods to cater to different sensibilities and expectations.

In contrast, a skirt is a skirt. It's going to look more or less the same (where the materials are concerned) regardless of the decade.

The skirt looks as cool as the cape

Not really.

and is just as unnecessary.

I literally just explained a practical use for Superman's cape.

They don't need protection from their costumes...

I never said they did.

And I doubt you'll see Supe loan his cape around to protect humans.

You must not watch a lot of Superman-related media.

Well,that's on you.

Uh, duh. That's why I've constantly used the words "I" and "me".

She's invulnerable (so she doesn't need armor)

I never said she did.

She's from another culture (so she doesn't have to conform to what our society would wear.)

Supergirl - this version of her, anyway - grew up on Earth. It's logical to assume that she would consider what a normal woman might wear if they were in her position. I can't imagine why a woman would want to wear a skirt when putting out fires and rescuing civilians and fighting supervillains.

Since Wynn is apparently going to be responsible for making her costume, it's probably going to be more indicative of Earth culture than Kryptonian culture, and will most likely be similar in form, if not function, to this universe's Superman's costume.

Based on what? When have you ever seen Kryptonians - other than Supergirl - fight in anything that resembled casual clothing? What have you seen or heard that would lead you to believe that they will do so on this show?

That's more or less irreverent,when the point I'm making is they can make their Kryptonians wear whatever they want and make it seem the norm (for them).
I never said it was supposed to.

I don't remember the question. Next.
Also: the "symbol of her culture" angle would work just as well - if not better - with shorts or pants.

Only it doesn't need to. It's the stigma you yourself attach to the skirt from your point of view as a non Kryptonian

At what point did we discuss the durability of Supergirl's skirt? Why would that even be a topic of conversation?
To refresh your memory:
If they're going to give her a skirt, why would it be made out of anything other than the usual material?

It became a topic as I attempted to quell fears that it was going to look like a simple cloth skirt that people seem so afraid of.
Also: the comparison you're trying to make doesn't work. The materials of the bodysuits in question are different because they were created in two different time periods to cater to different sensibilities and expectations.
Not at all. The only thing that keeps a costume from looking ridiculous is the performance (confidence) of the actor and a willingness on the viewers part to suspend disbelief
In contrast, a skirt is a skirt. It's going to look more or less the same (where the materials are concerned) regardless of the decade.

There are ways to make it more "modern" with new textured materials,but yeah, I guess.

Not really.
What was the question again? Nevermind. Next.

I literally just explained a practical use for Superman's cape.
Yeah. It looks cool. Just like the skirt would on Supergirl

I never said they did.
Next.

You must not watch a lot of Superman-related media.
I've seen about every incarnation of Supergirl,Animated/Live Action. What did they all have in common? They wore a skirt,and looked good wearing it.

Uh, duh. That's why I've constantly used the words "I" and "me".
Fair enough.But if you "just don't like it",I don't really know why we've gone back and forth over this.
I never said she did.
Next.
Supergirl - this version of her, anyway - grew up on Earth. It's logical to assume that she would consider what a normal woman might wear if they were in her position. I can't imagine why a woman would want to wear a skirt when putting out fires and rescuing civilians and fighting supervillains.

Are we saying she arrived as a baby in this show? Because of that,I'm unaware.She typically arrives on Earth as a teen,which would make her more attached to her culture. But,I maintain it's really no different than Clark using the costume of his heritage as a symbol of hope.

Clark: "Dad...about this costume..."

Jor-El hologram: "It will make you a symbol of hope to all peo-"

Clark "Dad it has a cape! And tights? I'll look like a dweeb!"

^ In the show's mythology, Kara has spent as much time on Earth as she did on Krypton (12 years), so she technically 'grew up' on both planets. Having said that, though, I think she's far more likely to want a suit that is tailored to an Earth-based cultural aesthetic than one tailored to a Kryptonian cultural aesthetic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"