Supergirl Supergirl Season 2, Episode 10 "We Can Be Heroes" MAJOR SPOILERS

Yeah, J'onn's reaction was waaaaay off-base to me. It's the primary thing that tells me, whether I like or not, the writers are on James' side on this whole thing. Which, bummer.

I like to imagine that J'onn was just emotionally drained by his mind meld with M'gann and took it easy on Winn. BUT, the next day he dragged Winn into his office and gave him an earful for every stupid thing that Winn has done in stealing equipment, working a second job to the detriment of his main job, withholding information, etc.

Maybe, but doesn't mean that he cares nothing for Winn, or as to whether Winn loses his job or even dies. People may not like James anymore, but he's not a bad guy. Nor is Winn a naive fool.

When push comes to shove, Winn does the pushing and the shoving, and the friendship they have is readily apparent at the end of Supergirl Lives. They're brothers with different colors!:woot:

While I do think the whole," Jimmy becomes a superhero " plotline is rubbish, and he is whiny about it, I don't think Jimmy's a bad guy. I took his rationale for being guardian because he wanted to make an impact as opposed to always being in Clark and Kara's shadow.

I can see where it could come of as wanting glory and attention, but it seemed to me to be more about him not wanting his life to have a greater purpose then just being defined as Superman and Supergirl's pal. Not saying the rationale is justified , but I felt that's what the writers were attempting to communicate.

They're doing something similar with Iris in the most recent storyline of the Flash in which she's taking risks because she wants to make a difference beyond just being Barry's GF. I just think they're communicating better there than on Supergirl.

While I do think the whole," Jimmy becomes a superhero " plotline is rubbish, and he is whiny about it, I don't think Jimmy's a bad guy. I took his rationale for being guardian because he wanted to make an impact as opposed to always being in Clark and Kara's shadow.

I can see where it could come of as wanting glory and attention, but it seemed to me to be more about him not wanting his life to have a greater purpose then just being defined as Superman and Supergirl's pal. Not saying the rationale is justified , but I felt that's what the writers were attempting to communicate.

They're doing something similar with Iris in the most recent storyline of the Flash in which she's taking risks because she wants to make a difference beyond just being Barry's GF. I just think they're communicating better there than on Supergirl.

I think that is part of his motive, but his ego clearly seems to be getting the better of him which is probably part of the arc, his ego will probably do something that will make him feel ashamed have to confront it and he'll either quit being Guardian or be better for it.

Last edited:
I'd like to know what makes Livewire of all the villains such a 'nemesis' for Kara. Is it because she's appeared a lot? Three times, now? If anything, she seemed more like Cat's nemesis than Kara's. And she definitely wasn't the most deadly.

I think that is part of his motive, but his ego clearly seems to be getting to him which is probably part of the arc, his ego will probably do something that will make him feel ashamed have to confront it and he'll either quit being Guardian or be better for it.

Yeah, I can see that . Before he was Guardian, he felt he was in the shadow of giants, and as a result, his self esteem, and self worth to an extent, was low.

Once he had the power, and was doing all of these great things, his ego has gotten the better of him, a bit and he's starting to get more cocky and reckless.

I'd like to know what makes Livewire of all the villains such a 'nemesis' for Kara. Is it because she's appeared a lot? Three times, now? If anything, she seemed more like Cat's nemesis than Kara's. And she definitely wasn't the most deadly.

Yeah, I wouldn't call livewire her nemesis per say. I think they, the producers and writers, want Kara to have her own Lex Luthor, Moriarty , Joker , Reverse Flash,etc. type arch nemesis for Kara, but none of her opponents have really risen to that level. The closet imo was Astra and even that's not to the level of an arch enemy.

Perhaps Teri Hatcher will fill that slot .

I would have liked to seen Maxima take that nemesis role. Certainly rather than be used as a throwaway in an opening segment. Whenever Kara and Livewire fight, I just try to not focus so much on how depowered they have to make the former to entertain any sense of danger.

Livewire seems more like her Captain Cold than her Reverse Flash.

I would have liked to seen Maxima take that nemesis role. Certainly rather than be used as a throwaway in an opening segment. Whenever Kara and Livewire fight, I just try to not focus so much on how depowered they have to make the former to entertain any sense of danger.

Exactly.......I was really hoping we would see more of Maxima....."Gross"...lol

They don't really have a great track record for 'good' villains. They're entertaining, like Livewire. But get her near water and she has a problem. I think the best so far is Roulette. Handled carefully and not with throw-away plots, I think she could become a great nemesis.

Why don't more girls ask someone "do you like me"? Kara seems quite forward. If girls don't feel the same way (and I don't know if she does or not), then they may not want to hear whether a guy likes them.

Jimmy's storyline is boring. I feel he is dragging this show down and making me not so keen to watch. Fortunately we still have Melissa Benoist who is always a joy to watch.

It's like Jimmy is doing this for the glory than anything else.

That's because he is doing exactly that.

Which, btw, he's totally the new Hawkman. Arrogant, self-centered, and emotionally abusive to a close associate. Winn, run away now.

So what was the wager between Chyler and Maggie again?

And why do they have such low stakes? It should be something more daring or kinky if one wins and the other loses, but which, whoever loses, is a win-win situation. Whatever Maggie won in the end, it seemed that Chyler wasn't overly thrilled.

So what was the wager between Chyler and Maggie again?

And why do they have such low stakes? It should be something more daring or kinky if one wins and the other loses, but which, whoever loses, is a win-win situation. Whatever Maggie won in the end, it seemed that Chyler wasn't overly thrilled.

They were betting how long it would take Kara to get through the guards to the jail cell.....ALEX...lol, said that it would take her 5 seconds, Maggie said no way she's too polite, at least 10 seconds. Kara came in under 5 seconds so Alex won and it was ice cream at her place that night. HAD MAGGIE WON at that time it would have been Vegan ice cream at her place...(BTW, Vegan ice cream is not that bad)....anyway, in the end, I'm not sure why Maggie thought she had won, since they never talked about if Kara would catch or not catch Livewire, maybe at the apartment in a scene we did not see they made another bet, but in the end, since Kara let Livewire go, it was Vegan ice cream at Maggie's apartment... :)

Oh, lord....if the #Sanvers shippers find out that there might have been another scene between Alex and Maggie and it ended up on the editing room floor.....all hell is going to cut loose...those shippers are crazy...lol

They were betting how long it would take Kara to get through the guards to the jail cell.....ALEX...lol, said that it would take her 5 seconds, Maggie said no way she's too polite, at least 10 seconds. Kara came in under 5 seconds so Alex won and it was ice cream at her place that night. HAD MAGGIE WON at that time it would have been Vegan ice cream at her place...(BTW, Vegan ice cream is not that bad)....anyway, in the end, I'm not sure why Maggie thought she had won, since they never talked about if Kara would catch or not catch Livewire, maybe at the apartment in a scene we did not see they made another bet, but in the end, since Kara let Livewire go, it was Vegan ice cream at Maggie's apartment... :)

Oh, lord....if the #Sanvers shippers find out that there might have been another scene between Alex and Maggie and it ended up on the editing room floor.....all hell is going to cut loose...those shippers are crazy...lol

That's what I was confused about too. I couldn't figure out how Chyler suddenly lost and why the terms of the bet changed, so I wondered if I had misunderstood it. I guess Chyler doesn't like Vegan ice cream then. But these seem like silly stakes. It should've beeen something like if Maggie won, she would get to do whatever she wants in the bedroom to Chyler, and vice versa.

That's what I was confused about too. I couldn't figure out how Chyler suddenly lost and why the terms of the bet changed, so I wondered if I had misunderstood it. I guess Chyler doesn't like Vegan ice cream then. But these seem like silly stakes. It should've beeen something like if Maggie won, she would get to do whatever she wants in the bedroom to Chyler, and vice versa.

ALEX.....DR......ALEX! LMAO...... :woot: :sly:

I think the point was they were making multiple bets on Kara's behavior. The first one being about how long it would take her to get through to the crime scene, a later one being about how she'd deal with Livewire. There were probably meant to be others in between we didn't see. It's just a constant little game between them.

I think the point was they were making multiple bets on Kara's behavior. The first one being about how long it would take her to get through to the crime scene, a later one being about how she'd deal with Livewire. There were probably meant to be others in between we didn't see. It's just a constant little game between them.

Yeah, there could have been a scene cut that we didn't see. If there was, it better be on the DVD, or twitter will explode....lol

Oh I doubt there's a cut scene of it (I mean, there could be, but that wasn't my point), I just meant I think they were going for the implication that this had been going on all episode. Hence them kinda book-ending the episode with it. Although now that you mention it, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a cut scene of them betting on how she'd handle the Guardian news after unconscious James was brought back to the DEO, lol.

Oh I doubt there's a cut scene of it (I mean, there could be, but that wasn't my point), I just meant I think they were going for the implication that this had been going on all episode. Hence them kinda book-ending the episode with it.

I like book ends...

No, just means that he is thinking about one thing, Guardian being known as a hero like Superman and Supergirl.....that seems to be his motivation.....but when Winn was injured it was....yeah I'm glad youre ok...I've come to check on you.....you're standing....so let's go I gotta catch these guys before Supergirl gets the glory...and the next headline. It's my headline.

I think his motivation is winning Kara back by showing her that he is her equal. Unfortunately, he has confused being her equal with being a crime-fighting superhero. And, I agree with whoever who stated here or elsewhere that probably a Kara-James relationship is the showrunners' end game. Which may also be why the writers are on James' side. (It is slightly in character in the sense that even in season 1, he was jealous of Barry for no good reason.)

So, yeah, his treatment of Monel is hypocritical because he is basically doing the "hero" thing for the same reason as Monel. But, is not ready to acknowledge it.

I don't see the point of developing a romance by character assassinating the stakeholders, but oh well!:huh:

Oh I doubt there's a cut scene of it (I mean, there could be, but that wasn't my point), I just meant I think they were going for the implication that this had been going on all episode. Hence them kinda book-ending the episode with it. Although now that you mention it, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a cut scene of them betting on how she'd handle the Guardian news after unconscious James was brought back to the DEO, lol.

Ouch! That would be callous on Alex' part considering how upset Kara was. Also, I agree with the bookend thing, and I don't think there are any cut scenes. It was just added to make the point that they do have a relationship; the entertainment factor, if there is any, is bonus. (On Sanvers shippers; I don't think many minded it; not as far as the reviews go. I am not one myself, so I may be wrong.)

But, I think Alex gave away that last bet just to please Maggie. How likely is it for Maggie to win any bet on Kara with Alex? A few months experience with rare meetings on one end, and years of knowing a person on the other? And, it is not knowing a person or how long a duration a relationship has had, but the kind of relationship as well. Alex and Kara are very close.

I think his motivation is winning Kara back by showing her that he is her equal. Unfortunately, he has confused being her equal with being a crime-fighting superhero. And, I agree with whoever who stated here or elsewhere that probably a Kara-James relationship is the showrunners' end game. Which may also be why the writers are on James' side. (It is slightly in character in the sense that even in season 1, he was jealous of Barry for no good reason.)

See, I don't read it that way at all. I read it as him wanting to find a role beyond being Kara's boyfriend. On a metatextual level, it's about the writers trying to do the same. They're on his side because he's a fairly useless character otherwise

Can't they write him out of the series like Katie Cassidy? And if he wants to guest star every now and then, he can be an alternate earth version of himself as John Henry Irons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"