Supergirl Episode 3.11 "Fort Rozz" (SPOILERS)

We'll just have to agree to disagree. BH/HHH said if another show assembled a badass team with no women, people would complain. Yet GoT did exactly that, and no one complained, BEFORE the episode aired where Dany would swoop and save them. And they wouldn't have complained if they had survived the mission without her, anyway.

No one complains about badass teams with no women because it's perfectly normal. Which is the point.

giphy.gif

I wish they didn't need that reason though for an all women team up. Why can't an all women team up happen just like that just like an all men team up?

Anyways, I doubt the point was to keep Mon El out since he keeps coming into action whenever he could. The possible reason was to take Livewire out while letting Sam have that breakdown moment. Also, they needed a proper reason for bringing in Psi in. May be the Psi-Imra thing will have a pay off. Anyways, that Livewire sacrificing was also possibly big.

If the men are around, why would Kara go with these villains? (That seems to be the show logic; unless you have Alex; and honestly, SG/Alex team ups have become rare).

Creative spaces should be free to explore all sorts of different ideas and dynamics; and they do not have the same effect, power or taboo as real world and representation in real world societal power structures.

When things are ideal, the real world power structure would be reflected in fiction too; not in a parity of distribution ala perfect mix up of men and women and people of all races in a team but telling all kinds of different stories with all voices included. Which means, all women team ups, all men team ups, men and women team ups, all race team ups, all black team ups... you get the idea. :D

However... Real world power differential has meant that one side has been massively overrepresented until now (even now). So, naturally, when the side that has been underrepresented makes a showing, people praise the effort.

That has nothing to do with any kind of reverse ism... and it is not discrimination. It is probably the sheer novelty of it.

An all men team up on the other hand is just "been there, done that"; and when taken with the power structure behind the scenes and the real world power differential, brings the question of sexism naturally; as would an all white cast. Not because taken by itself an all male team up is sexist, or racist or whatever but because it is possible that the people behind the scenes never thought about including women or POC or whoever, which is sexism (because of subconscious sexism/racism and so on). Because it was not a creative choice but a default choice.

And. Creative space is different from social power structures that need gender/racial parity in one other way.

What you have already made is there for eternity. Which means, if someone were to reinterpret Superman and create a Black Superman or write a female James Bond, your older versions of Superman are not going anywhere. Nor is Sean Connery's, Pierce Brosnan's or Daniel Craig's versions lost. They are still there. Up for consumption.

Adding one black person or one female to the mix doesn't take anything away from men's characters. They just add to what is already there.

And no gender/ethnicity/background has a or should have a paid-for-eternity tag on any creative space.

Personally. I am waiting for the Indian Supermangirl who can also shift genders whenever they want and can go out with a person of any gender. :mnm:

May be they will have rainbow colours too. Why not go all out?

[Sounds like Martian Manshunter though a bit]

I wish they didn't need that reason though for an all women team up. Why can't an all women team up happen just like that just like an all men team up?

Anyways, I doubt the point was to keep Mon El out since he keeps coming into action whenever he could. The possible reason was to take Livewire out while letting Sam have that breakdown moment. Also, they needed a proper reason for bringing in Psi in. May be the Psi-Imra thing will have a pay off. Anyways, that Livewire sacrificing was also possibly big.

If the men are around, why would Kara go with these villains? (That seems to be the show logic; unless you have Alex; and honestly, SG/Alex team ups have become rare).

Creative spaces should be free to explore all sorts of different ideas and dynamics; and they do not have the same effect, power or taboo as real world and representation in real world societal power structures.

When things are ideal, the real world power structure would be reflected in fiction too; not in a parity of distribution ala perfect mix up of men and women and people of all races in a team but telling all kinds of different stories with all voices included. Which means, all women team ups, all men team ups, men and women team ups, all race team ups, all black team ups... you get the idea. :D

However... Real world power differential has meant that one side has been massively overrepresented until now (even now). So, naturally, when the side that has been underrepresented makes a showing, people praise the effort.

That has nothing to do with any kind of reverse ism... and it is not discrimination. It is probably the sheer novelty of it.

An all men team up on the other hand is just "been there, done that"; and when taken with the power structure behind the scenes and the real world power differential, brings the question of sexism naturally; as would an all white cast. Not because taken by itself an all male team up is sexist, or racist or whatever but because it is possible that the people behind the scenes never thought about including women or POC or whoever, which is sexism (because of subconscious sexism/racism and so on). Because it was not a creative choice but a default choice.

And. Creative space is different from social power structures that need gender/racial parity in one other way.

What you have already made is there for eternity. Which means, if someone were to reinterpret Superman and create a Black Superman or write a female James Bond, your older versions of Superman are not going anywhere. Nor is Sean Connery's, Pierce Brosnan's or Daniel Craig's versions lost. They are still there. Up for consumption.

Adding one black person or one female to the mix doesn't take anything away from men's characters. They just add to what is already there.

And no gender/ethnicity/background has a or should have a paid-for-eternity tag on any creative space.

Personally. I am waiting for the Indian Supermangirl who can also shift genders whenever they want and can go out with a person of any gender. :mnm:

May be they will have rainbow colours too. Why not go all out?

[Sounds like Martian Manshunter though a bit]

Which black female would you suggest went with the female team? Miss Martian?

They could've gotten her. I wonder why they didn't think of that. They could have conveniently written her into the story too by having her visiting J'onn at the time. Then she just happens to be there and volunteers to go along.

I would have preferred Miss Martian over Livewire and especially Psi. There is no one else right now in Supergirl verse, is there?

I guess they possibly had a clash with Sharon Leal's availability. Also, may be the idea of having villains and theme of Supergirl changing a villain for the better seemed more powerful than getting Miss Martian to come along in just a regular superhero team up (having a black hero would have made it irregular, but I am not sure if they thought of that--hence, the question of racism; not saying it is actively racist by the way; they may be never thought about it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"