Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 57

Discussion in 'Misc. Comics Films' started by flickchick85, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

I distinctly remember an episode of Ren and Stimpy where Powdered Toast Man became President, and he burnt the Constitution in the fireplace. Does anyone want to argue there was not a political message there?

Kahran Ramsus likes this.
  2. jmc away for a while

Political art or art that is entirely based around who the artist is and what his or her life experiences are is fine, but it's also art that is likely to cause reaction of some sort. If your an artist and you're ok with that then create away. If you're an artist who wants to appeal to everyone though then your art and creative decisions have to extend beyond just yourself. It has to speak universal languages in that instance, touching on themes and ideas that cut across class, nationality, sex, etc, and get to the heart of what makes us human. So to all the creatives out there pick your poison.

3. Sithborg The Pink Devil

Also, you know, make it past the Chinese censors.

henzINNIT and Spider-Fan like this.
  4. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

Walker (US Agent) is like Captain America if he grew up watching nothing but Fox News.

Shinobi Shaw likes this.
  5. fan4stic Registered

I don't view it that way. I think some may see it that way, others may want it to be that way. But it's not what I view it as.

Maybe some do. But it's not something I see as being something that has to go with the character.
    I think politics gets involved in moral issues. It doesn't mean I think they're one and the same. These movies, to me, take moral stances, speaking in those terms, to me. I think others more used those things as apart of the plot, not making the movie itself about the politics. I view Negasaki thing as more a metaphorical use of politics. The other thing I know very little about. I also said that I think there may be an execution concept in it.
    Yeah. I think it's thrown around easily, to me. I'm trying to quell that concept of applying that to things.

6. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

At the end of the day, art is something experienced at an individual level. So I cannot tell you how to experience art. That being said, I definitely think you are picking and choosing. Maybe not consciously, but it feels you kind of just write off the political elements of whatever you enjoy and only focus on it when it doesn't work for you. When you like it, it is a "moral issue" and when you don't, it is "forcing politics where it doesn't belong." Which is not uncommon. My dad loves Avatar, despite the fact it stands for everything he hates politically. But, not seeing the forest for the trees doesn't really change the underlying fact that those movies you named are political in nature and commenting on societal issues. The artists had political messages and intent when they crafted those films.

But again, you will at the end of the day see the world your own way. Regardless of whatever I say on this forum. As the saying goes, you do you and we will just agree to disagree I guess.

7. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Re: political themes and messages in movies, I think its much less a matter of "political vs not political", and more a question of deftness and handling. Beyond simply "a good movie is good", the key element is whether a movie's political themes are complex, or a soap box. Most movies that have someone say that its "too political", what they really mean is "the movie wasn't a story or even an argument, but a diatribe hitting everyone over the head with a mallet".

So, for example, is Black Panther "political"? Holy **** yes, pretty much every single element of its theming is a political hot button. Why the lack of complaints outside the obviously-super-racist? Because it wasn't a soap box, but an actual human analysis of the history and philosophy at play. It didn't go "Here's a simple answer to a complex issue that is obviously right, as proven by all the people disagreeing being black hat villains", but instead humanized and embodied pretty much every angle. End result is a movie that has something to say beyond the "You are awesome/evil for agreeing/disagreeing with me" preaching that a soap box movie performs.

8. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

In other words, it only matters at the end of the day whether or not the idea is executed well or not. Not whether it is grounded in political pretense. Which is what I said from the beginning

Bayne likes this.
  9. Kev4000 Registered

10. kguillou Registered

That was quick! Usually these cbms take like 5-6 months to film. Might signify that this is going to be a tight, lean, modestly budgeted film which is cool with me. Just hope it has well choreographed kung fu action.

11. Schlosser85 A Very Stable Genius

It's always nice to see one of the movies filming make it all the way through unscathed in the current environment.

AVEITWITHJAMON likes this.
  12. kguillou Registered

Did they finish filming The Eternals too or was that interrupted?

13. Detective Conan Registered

The Eternals finished filming awhile ago. They’re currently doing post-production work(i.e, touch-ups on VFX, ADR) remotely. Heck, it’s mostly finished by now, and will be definitely will be completely 100% done by the end of this year way before the film hits its November 2021 release date.

14. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

I don't know if they finished reshoots, though

15. MbJ Registered

Was the Czech Republic part of the FATWS shoot the last of it or is there still more?

16. Detective Conan Registered

For those skeptical of this true being: both DanielRPK And ViewerAnon have proven to be reliable, and have reported accurate information in the past. For example, in Daniel’s case, he’s the one originally reported that Endgame(then untitled) would have a five year time jump after the events of Infinity War. He can get stuff wrong, sure, but I think I trust him here. ViewerAnon is an insider who accurately leaked the plots of movie’s like the theatrical cut of Justice League and WW84. So I trust them.

#10967 Detective Conan, Oct 24, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  17. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

I sort of expected some type of cameo in Doctor Strange 2, honestly

18. Detective Conan Registered

We’re more closer now to having Chris Evans reprising his greatest comic book role...

The Human Torch!

Spider-Fan likes this.
  19. Joined:
    Dec 27, 2012
    Hyped for the return of the Roger Corman Fantastic Four cast.

Lencho01, Sithborg and flickchick85 like this.
  20. Detective Conan Registered

21. Kev4000 Registered

Theat means nothing. Im sure a whole season The Flash has a budget of a movie too but it has to be split up to 22 episodes while Mandalorian can use it for just 8 episodes. But I think they will go the Mandalorian/Marvel-route with 20Mio/Episode.

MadVillainy likes this.
  22. Shinobi Shaw Hellfire Club's Black King

Scarlet Witch, Spider-Man (or -Men) and Wolverine all showing up in Multiverse Of Madness is one thing, but I’m really going to be disappointed if that movie doesn’t bring in Deadpool.

That would just be a big ass missed opportunity.

23. Shinobi Shaw Hellfire Club's Black King

And I would love to see Brigitte Nielsen’s She-Hulk in the mix.

Lencho01 and Snow Queen like this.
  24. Detective Conan Registered

That’s probably how they plan to bring him into the universe.