• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Superman & Lois General News & Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS!)

Just had to delete a video @The Caped Knight posted due to a couple instances of language, but it was a nice video essay, so if anyone wants to watch it, I'd recommend searching on YT for "Superman & Lois - The Perfect Modern Superman" from HiTop Films. :up:

Just had to delete a video @The Caped Knight posted due to a couple instances of language, but it was a nice video essay, so if anyone wants to watch it, I'd recommend searching on YT for "Superman & Lois - The Perfect Modern Superman" from HiTop Films. :up:

my apologies, I was impressed by the detailed analysis of what makes this series such a wonderful celebration of Superman. I forgot.

The breaks are annoying but Covid hit them hard more than once. They're pushing it hard right now and from what I heard another reason for the breaks is that it takes them a long time to film the episodes plus add the effects etc. Good thing that s2 will start filming in two months that way they have enough episodes filmed when S2 premieres in midseason to avoid longer breaks(hopefully)

I second this. He echoed exactly my thoughts on the show; how great and necessary a depiction of Superman it is, and how much of a dramatic step-up it is compared to all the other CW shows. It takes elements from other Superman media (Man of Steel, Smallville) and does them better.

E5z5njMUYAY8yOz

Congratulations to Superman & Lois for the nomination. I don’t think it will win, but at least it shows the strength of the team around the series. Hopefully something that remains intact for a couple of seasons before it’s pouted by the cw mediocre agenda.

I’ll be a dissenting voice. :ninja:

Now, there were parts of dude’s video thesis that I agreed with. Other parts I disagreed with. Fine. But mostly, I was distracted by the presentation style — which I found to be pretentiously pompous and self-indulgent.

I also think there are instances of duplicity in the video. At one point, dude says Superman shouldn’t be about dealing with “…world-ending fates” (or words to that effect). And to underscore the point, he shows scenes of action/explosions from recent movies — suggesting that this is what said movies got wrong. Well, it’s true, at a thematic level, that Superman is (or should be) more than the sum total of his super feats. But it’s also true that Supes is an action hero. So in most Superman adventures, there are going to be extravagant action sequences. And Superman & Lois is no different. Indeed, it would be fairly easy to put together a “destruction and explosion” highlight reel from the various S&L episodes and imply (unfairly) that this was the essence of the series.

At another point, dude says Superman “… never needed to go bad in order for us to care about him being good.” Now this is a sentiment I can get behind. IMO, the Supes going evil/rogue trope has been overused. But it rings hollow to cite this as a point of criticism in other iterations when the very same trope is (apparently) on deck for S&L.

Overall, I wasn’t that impressed with this “analysis.” Actually, I reckon that the comments you’ve written in these threads have been more thoughtful.

I’m honestly good on any version of Darkseid that isn’t either theatrical or part of an HBO Max production.

At one point, dude says Superman shouldn’t be about dealing with “…world-ending fates” (or words to that effect).
I think there's a difference between having them and being about them.
At another point, dude says Superman “… never needed to go bad in order for us to care about him being good.” Now this is a sentiment I can get behind. IMO, the Supes going evil/rogue trope has been overused. But it rings hollow to cite this as a point of criticism in other iterations when the very same trope is (apparently) on deck for S&L.
But is that there so that we care about him being good?

With the right budget and crew involved, I hope this show can someday give us the confrontation that both SV and JL had failed to deliver.

E531jmeXEAEp11M
I honestly liked the way they did the big villain in Jupiter’s Legacy. I could see them pulling something like that off.

Yo back then 10 years ago I thought that was badass but little did I know they would drop the ball hard on that one.

Still one of my favorite shows but… come on all that build up and the fight ended with Clark finally learns to fly and files threw E2 Lionel Luthor/Darkseid and evaporates into crows and that’s it.
tenor.gif

Superman, Flash, and Black Lightning need to get together for family dinners so that their children can connect.

While the show has been good so far, they keep showing Superman pretty much losing almost every fight; it’s starting to get stupid. He pretty much loses to John every time and doesn’t even get a good chance to give Morgan Edge a beatdown. He takes a backseat for John to bring Edge down. It’s lame, stupid and lazy. The show has been doing great on the drama and story but have Superman kick some ass please. The last episode was just so sloppy in how Edge was taken down. Superman should have soloed him plain and simple but nope.

While the show has been good so far, they keep showing Superman pretty much losing almost every fight; it’s starting to get stupid. He pretty much loses to John every time and doesn’t even get a good chance to give Morgan Edge a beatdown. He takes a backseat for John to bring Edge down. It’s lame, stupid and lazy. The show has been doing great on the drama and story but have Superman kick some ass please. The last episode was just so sloppy in how Edge was taken down. Superman should have soloed him plain and simple but nope.

Having Superman defeat John during their first confrontation in the pilot would have taken away the latter's credibility as a potential threat. Plus, the biggest reasons why Superman "lost" the fight was because he was caught off guard by the kryptonite and just had a tense confrontation with his sons.

The second episode showed what would clearly happen in a fight between Superman and John if kryptonite and red sun radiation aren't involved.

Regarding Morgan Edge, Superman never really lost their first confrontation and he was already weakened during their fight in the fortress. Also, there was no need for Superman to take on Edge in the last episode because they were planning on using John's red sun missile against him.

Next season I would love it if Sam tried to connect to Jordan as much as Jonathan. Also I love the score for this show so damn much .

Family is a big element of the show so I would like it if they mentioned Lucy Lane or had her show up for a guest spot. Perhaps they could get Jenna Dewan back and bring in Ron Troupe

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"