Taika Waititi’ - “Jojo Rabbit”

TOMATOMETER
75%

Average Rating: 6.99/10
Total Count: 40
Fresh: 30
Rotten: 10

This seems to be one of those movies that you gotta see it yourself and make your own mind.
I'm guessing people familiar with Taika's previous work should have even an easier time enjoying it.

Wasn't interesed in this one, but after all the controversy surrounding it, damn, surely I'm gonna watch it.

It's a polarizing movie. Some critics hate it and others love it.
The audience response from the screenings has been very positive though.
It's Taika, I would probably be concerned if critics universally loved it.

And any critic who thinks "Life is Beautiful" is a bad movie renders all their opinions (especially on this particular movie) irrelevent to me.

IGN - 8.5 / Great

Leave it to Taika to make something dealing with stuff as serious as war and the Holocaust into an absurd comedy/satire. Liked the choice of having well-known songs sung in German without really losing the context of the lyrics. Also, I really enjoyed the bazooka bit at the end and Jojo's interactions with kids his age.

Mel Brooks would probably call this copying. While dressed up as Hitler.

This reminds me of that sitcom from the 80’s ‘Allo ‘Allo.

"Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once."

The way the waitress Maria said "Oh Rene!"...

Toronto: Taika Waititi's 'Jojo Rabbit' Wins Audience Award
In a statement sent to The Hollywood Reporter, Waititi celebrated the news, calling the award a "tremendous honor." "Jojo Rabbit is a story of tolerance and understanding set in a time that lacked both, and I hope in making this film we can remind ourselves that it’s still possible to connect with each other even under the most chaotic of circumstances—no matter what age, religion, race or gender. It was an incredible experience making this film and I’m happy the world had the opportunity to see it for the first time at TIFF," he said.

Chairmen of Fox Searchlight Pictures Nancy Utley and Steve Gilula also celebrated the news saying, "We saw firsthand how Toronto International Film Festival audiences responded to Jojo Rabbit.We’re incredibly proud of this film, Taika and the entire filmmaking team, and the message that love can rise above evil - we can’t wait to introduce Jojo Rabbit to the rest of the world!"

TIFF's top audience prize winner is often a barometer of future Academy Award nominations after last year's top People's Choice winner, Peter Farrelly's Green Book, went on to win best picture at the Oscars. The film beat out frontrunner Roma.

Previous TIFF audience award winners including Room, La La Land and 12 Years a Slave received a lift from the festival on their way to Academy Awards glory.

This is quite unexpected given the initial reviews. There was one even gave it 0/5 which I think is rather extreme and I could easily picture the writer pretty much frothing at the mouth while writing his review. I hope he survived the inevitable heart attack upon hearing the people’s choice of TIFF went to this film.

Great word of mouth from the US premiere.
And the marketing push continues with these 2 pearls. Introduction to the characters of Jojo Rabbit:

So I finally saw the full trailer for this. It looks a lot of fun, as you would expect from Taika. One thing that stuck out to me though was how much the main character's little friend looks just like Nick Frost. Like he is the little kid version and it is hilarious to me. :funny:

This Sam Rockwell stuff is hilarious. "Titty grabbers" :D
The dialog is on point.

Apparently the movie has been playing through the roof at several film festivals. Can’t wait to see this.

Last edited:
British and European premiere of Jojo Rabbit.

Last edited:
TOMATOMETER
80%

Average Rating: 7.5/10
Total Count: 123
Fresh: 99
Rotten: 24

The movie bounced back hard after that early shaky start. Good average rating. It opens in select theaters this weekend(LA and NY) and will gradually go into a wider release in the upcoming days/weeks. Hopefully some of you guys have the chance to see it and share your experience. Unfortunately i'll have to wait a few months before i can see it.

My local theater has this on their coming soon roster, but not until November. I'm so excited for it.

TOMATOMETER
Unfortunately i'll have to wait a few months before i can see it.

Yeah, it comes out in january here, where i live. Its silly.

The big blockbusters and movies come out basically at the same time (thank you, Peter Jackson), sometimes a week sooner even, but when it comes to smaller movies, its like they think we are still in 1997.

Performing great at the box office!
It should end up in the Top 3 Per Theatre Average weekend of the year.

Box Office: ‘Maleficent: Mistress of Evil’ Dominates With Soft $36 Million
Among awards season hopefuls, Fox Searchlight’s “Jojo Rabbit” bowed with a strong $350,000 from five theaters in New York and Los Angeles, averaging $70,000 from each location. Written and directed by Taika Waititi (who also stars in the film as an absurdist imaginary Adolf Hitler), “Jojo Rabbit” is set during World War II and follows a young boy eager to join the Hitler Youth, who discovers his mother is hiding a Jewish girl in their attic. Critics have been mostly impressed with “Jojo Rabbit” (it holds a 77% on Rotten Tomatoes), while audiences have awarded it with an A CinemaScore.

“There are many reasons to be very optimistic about the future of ‘Jojo Rabbit,'” said Frank Rodriguez, Fox Searchlight’s president of domestic distribution. “Notably, the very good performance at the box office this weekend, the excellent CinemaScore of A, and the interest that we see from exhibitors and moviegoers who are eager to play and see the film in the coming weeks.”

“Jojo Rabbit,” based on the novel “Caging Skies,” will continue its paced rollout next weekend in eight new markets, including Denver, Austin, Phoenix, Washington DC, Boston, Chicago, San Francisco and Toronto. The studio is aiming for a nationwide release by Nov. 8. The cast includes Roman Griffin Davis, Thomasin McKenzie, Scarlett Johansson, Rebel Wilson and Sam Rockwell.

Very excited for this film, so I've been avoiding all footage. I haven't even watched a trailer, so I'm quite disappointed that the closest this is playing to me anytime soon is two hours away. :csad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"