Taika Waititi’ - “Jojo Rabbit”

Apparently GOT Alfie Allen aka “Theon Greyjoy” is also part of the cast.

Stephen Merchant To Play Gestapo Agent In Taika Waititi’s WWII Satire ‘Jojo Rabbit’

Brit writer, director and actor Stephen Merchant has joined Taika Waititi’s starry WWII satire Jojo Rabbit as Gestapo agent ‘Captain Deertz’.
https://deadline.com/2018/06/stephen-merchant-gestapo-taika-waititi-jojo-rabbit-scarlett-johansson-1202413120/

stephenmerchant Here’s me trying to look German for my part in JoJo Rabbit, new satirical comedy from the wonderful
https://www.instagram.com/p/BkK8d_yF5ou/?utm_source=ig_embed

Nice. Love Stephen Merchant. :up:

So....this is a comedy, not drama?

It's made by Taika Waititi, is that honestly a question you should be asking? :funny:

Merchant's a smug asshat of a human being, but interesting casting.

Man, that's one gigantic Nazi cop.

Set in Czech Republic.

DgOS_DCV4AAyAWR

DgOTAYqVMAA1kZz

Taika Waititi says Hitler role in Jojo Rabbit is 'confronting'

Taika Waititi has revealed more about his upcoming portrayal of Adolf Hitler while speaking to media at a film festival in the Czech Republic. The Boy and Thor: Ragnarok filmmaker will play a "weird version" of the notorious German dictator in his upcoming film Jojo Rabbit, and says it's "quite confronting" to see himself in a Hitler costume. Waititi spoke about the film at the opening ceremony of the Karlovy Vary International Film Festival (KVIFF) over the weekend. "I play an imaginary friend who is sort of a cross between Hitler and all of this little boy's heroes. So it's all combined into this weird version of Hitler. It's not actually Hitler," said Waititi.

"I tried not to research the role. This is not like [acclaimed German Hitler film] Downfall, I'm not trying to be authentic in the portrayal." Although he stated on Instagram that having a Polynesian Jew portray Hitler is a great way to insult the white supremacist leader, Waititi admitted the role has made him uncomfortable. "It is very strange for me to put on the suit, to put the moustache on and things like that. It's quite confronting and I don't necessarily like seeing myself like that."

Sam Rockwell on Playing a Nazi in Taika Waititi’s ‘Jojo Rabbit’ and the Bob Fosse Biopic He’s Dreaming of Making

The recent Oscar winner isn’t stateside for the release of Susanna White’s 1890’s period piece about Sitting Bull and the woman who traveled across the country to paint his portrait, however — he’s in Prague, where production on “Hunt for the Wilderpeople” and “Thor: Ragnarok” director Taika Waiti’s outrageous-sounding “Jojo Rabbit” is underway. “It is the greatest script I’ve read in so long,” Rockwell said over the phone of the dark comedy that Waititi hopes will “piss off a lot of racists.” Asked about his character, Captain Klenzendorf, the actor divulged a few salient details: “I am a Nazi, a captain in the Nazi army — the instructor for the Hitler Youth,” he said. “I’ve been demoted, and I’m a bit disillusioned. It’s an interesting part.”

Last edited:
*Shakes head, laughs* Really is pretty crazy they let them film this in the Czech Republic. Haha, reminds me of Inglourious Basterds actually shooting stuff in Berlin.

You'd think flying friggin' swastikas around a public street there would...cause some issues. You so craaaaazy, Taika.

https://www.screendaily.com/news/taika-waititi-reveals-more-details-of-his-ww2-satire-jojo-rabbit-and-animation-bubbles/5130569.article

Taika Waititi reveals more details of his WW2 satire 'Jojo Rabbit' and animation 'Bubbles'

Waititi told Screen at the Karlovy Vary Film Festival that the Fox Searchlight WW2 comedy Jojo Rabbit, which has three weeks of filming left in Prague, is inspired by the “great satires of the past like Doctor Strangelove or The Great Dictator”.

“There’s a message behind it, it’s very much an anti-war film, it’s got a real contemporary feel and contemporary sense of humour to it as well.”

He added the success of his previous film Thor: Ragnarok helped get Jojo Rabbit off the ground. He wrote the screenplay in 2011.

“A lot of people were interested before Thor but I’d say definitely because of that film they probably had a bit more faith,” he said. “It’s a dangerous topic, when you say ‘I’m making a WW2 film’ the studios go ‘oh god not another one’, but this one is so different, so weird and has this Pythonesque style to it. I think because of all the films I’ve made now they really got the tone.”

“It was something I’d been trying to make for a long time,” he added. “I think this needed a long gestation. After Thor I said I want to make something that I’ve written and something smaller.”

Jojo Rabbit follows a young boy (Roman Griffin) raised in a Hitler Youth camp who questions his patriotism when he realises his mother (Scarlett Johansson) is hiding a young Jewish girl (Thomasin McKenzie). Waititi plays his imaginary best friend, a sympathetic version of Hitler. Sam Rockwell plays the Nazi captain of the kid’s youth camp.

On his role as the imaginary Hitler, Waititi said: “I’m not playing Hitler, I’m playing a weird imaginary character who’s a goofball. It’s more of version of me who happens to have a moustache. I’m doing the accent, but I didn’t do much research!”

Waititi is producing Jojo Rabbit with Carthew Neal and Chelsea Winstanley. Kevan Van Thompson is the executive producer.

Really depends on its release. For a film of this size, you don't usually release a trailer too far out.

Really depends on its release. For a film of this size, you don't usually release a trailer too far out.
Alright. So let us say the movie comes out in the beginning of 2019, then a trailer could drop around October/November right? I'm not expecting the movie to have much in terms of special effects so the post production shouldn't take that long i'm guessing...

Thomasin McKenzie father posted the following on Instagram.
It’s a #jojorabbit wrap! (JJRW.) Shooting, that is. The fun’s just ramping up for the post-production team. This film is going to be astonishing, heartbreaking & heart-making. Just saying. Oh yeah - & side-splitting. Big congrats, big thanks @taikawaititi & all the wonderful team. @thomasin.mckenzie @mirandaharcourt & I gave this noble dude, producer @carthew an action hero portrait by a Prague street artist we saw on #charlesbridge. Go forth. Produce!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BlgMLVchIf_/?taken-by=s.a.mckenzie

1 year? Why will it take so long to come out?
It's not like it's a big budget type of movie that needs a ton of post-production. I thought it would be out in a few months. Is he working already on "Bubbles" at the same time or is he going to join another project very soon? Seems odd that it would take that long to finish the movie.

1 year? Why will it take so long to come out?
It's not like it's a big budget type of movie that needs a ton of post-production. I thought it would be out in a few months. Is he working already on "Bubbles" at the same time or is he going to join another project very soon? Seems odd that it would take that long to finish the movie.
He could just mean sometime in 2019, not necessarily Fall 2019.

Also, if Fox Searchlight views the film as an Oscars contender they could sit on it until next fall. It's not a coincidence that lots of movies with Best Picture/Actor/etc. aspirations are premiering at TIFF.

Taika talking a little bit more about Jogo Rabbit and his character as an imaginary Hitler.
What is it like playing Hitler?
- It's embarrassing. No-one wants to do it but sometimes you just have to. I wrote that character... the character is an imaginary friend so he is very different to the real guy. He is a bit more my personality i guess in the shape of a really horrible person and for me was... the film needed a character like this and when you see it you'll understand why. But he is more of a kind of comic relief character who really knows nothing, the character is an idiot, he is the figment of this 10 year old boy imagination so ultimately he can only know what a 10 year old knows. Imagine me knowing only what a 10 year old knows as oppose to knowing what a 15 year old knows.

Finally watched Taika Waititi's movie Boy. :yay:
What a hidden gem of a movie. Funny, tragic, beautiful, endearing... This one really nails that perfect balance between humor and drama. It's his best movie. Now having seen most of his movies i would rate them like this...

1. Boy
2. Thor Ragnarok
3. Hunt For The Wilderpeople
4. What We Do In The Shadows

Interesting to see so many little cues from Boy that made into Ragnarok. Also i wonder how Jojo Rabbit will turn out and where it will rank. From what i have read and if it fulfills it's true potential then i see it becoming his best movie.

From reading the script, I think JoJo will be his best movie. Should get a best original screen play nom too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"