Taika Waititi’ - “Jojo Rabbit”

Potential big news. Jojo Rabbit has now been added to the Fox Searchlight website with the caption "Coming Soon". It's the only movie on the website without a Teaser Trailer. Since the movie is apparently complete and it's being scored by Michael Giacchino i suspect we might be getting a Teaser soon.

Also the movie might premier at Tiff in September and that's roughly 5 and a half months away.

Jojo Rabbit | Fox Searchlight

One would think a release date needs to be set before a trailer comes out? I can't think of a movie that released a trailer before disclosing the opening date.

That said, I don't know what the holdup is for announcing a release date.

I can't think of a movie that released a trailer before disclosing the opening date.

There is Lucy In The Sky which just happens to be another FSL movie

That said, I don't know what the holdup is for announcing a release date.

Disney's acquisition of Fox is screwing up the announcement of release dates. Fox dated the Ford v Ferrari movie before the merger completed but this was still stuck in limbo. Nao this movie is under Disney and we still don't know if Disney would want to pursue this movie and put it in their schedule or sell it off to another studio.

So apparently Jojo Rabbit has now a release date.
If it's indeed correct then i'dd say that it's promising.

D3th7zhUcAIKvNp.png

So apparently Jojo Rabbit has now a release date.
If it's indeed correct then i'dd say that it's promising.

D3th7zhUcAIKvNp.png
If true, the studio must be priming it for awards season.
Not liking the date being so far away, though.

Rumour Mill:
It seems as though the movie might be screening on Monday at DIFF (Dallas International Film Festival).

So if any of you is around the area this would probably be a good time to maybe check it out. If you live in the area and know the festival stuff you might give us "mere mortals" a hint if it's indeed being shown or not... and maybe a small hint at what to expect would be nice.
:cwink:

I wish i lived close by so i could attend.

Rumour Mill:
It seems as though the movie might be screening on Monday at DIFF (Dallas International Film Festival).

So if any of you is around the area this would probably be a good time to maybe check it out. If you live in the area and know the festival stuff you might give us "mere mortals" a hint if it's indeed being shown or not... and maybe a small hint at what to expect would be nice.
:cwink:

I wish i lived close by so i could attend.
Was this the guy you're referring to? Claims he saw it and is under an NDA. Seems like a very positive reaction.

Several people watched Jojo Rabbit yesterday.
It was an early test screening. Apparently it was unfinished and they wanted more of the general audience to watch it and not necessarily Taika Waititi fans. I guess they wanted to see how it would play with a broader audience.

4 of these people rated the movie. 2 persons rated it 4.5/5 and 2 persons rated it 4/5. Everyone is under NDA's but one can still get some snippets of info... Needless to say that people loved the movie. Apparently a big standout was Thomasin McKenzie and Taika for pulling off this movie.

Fox Searchlight has released on their Youtube channel, the oscar nominated short directed by Taika Waititi.
It's an interesting move by the studio.

giphy.webp

Disney released their new schedule with all the acquisitions from Fox. But where is Jojo Rabbit & Lucy In the Sky??

Surprised a release date wasn't announced with the 1563201542 other films Disney/Fox released opening dates for today :argh:

Yeh... What is going on? They announced the Fox Searchlight movies too so Jojo Rabbit should be there in the mix.
5/10/2019 - Tolkien
8/23/2019 - Ready or Not
? - Lucy in the Sky
? - Jojo Rabbit

Lucy in the Sky had already a Teaser Trailer on March 19th. No release date yet. Just "Coming Soon".
Jojo Rabbit, according to IMDB who has since taken out that particular date from their website, apparently had a limited release on November 27th. We know it had several test screenings this year. It's a bit of a mystery at this point what FSL/Disney are doing with the movie.

So after a bit of digging i found out that Jojo Rabbit had at least 4 test screenings in 2019.
January 17th, March 18th, April 16th and April 23rd. At this point the movie seems to be 100% done.

Here are some of the comments from people that saw these test screenings. Take into account that what these people saw wasn't the final product because the movie was still being tweaked.
- Thomasin McKenzie is gonna be huge
- Scarlett Johansson is shockingly good
- This was pretty good overall - curious to see what they add or remove for the final cut
but this is amazing.
Thomasin McKenzie is a ****ing star.
Scarlett coming for her first very overdue nom? MAYBE
Taika you crazy mf only you can make this work.
I was at this screening last night as well. Loved the movie. Especially loved Thomasin McKenzie. She's got total star power, and there's something about her that you just want to watch her basically do anything.

- Scarlett Johansson is shockingly good
- Scarlett coming for her first very overdue nom? MAYBE
Assuming this movie comes out this year, it's good to see Scarlett Johansson turn in two great performances after a string of recent duds and meh supporting roles.

I suppose I should watch Leave No Trace on Netflix to see what the Thomason McKenzie hype is all about.

Finally some concrete news. I wonder what the date means though.
FSL has dropped some "oscar material" on similar dates. With other movies scoring nominations.

2013 - 12 Years a Slave - October 18th (3 Oscars)
2014 - Birdman - October 17th (4 Oscars)
2018 - Can You Ever Forgive Me? - October 19th (3 Noms)

This is both sooner that I expected, yet not damn soon enough.

Let the trailer date speculation begin!
We are 5 months and 5 days away from the release of the movie.
I wouldn't be surprised if the trailer dropped soon. I hope so anyways. :)

Taika Waititi On ‘Jojo Rabbit’ & The “Brilliant” ‘Bubbles’ Script – Deadline

Your next film is Jojo Rabbit. 10-year-old Jojo, the lead character, is absolutely in love with the Nazi party and a proud member of the Hitler Youth. He’s unkind, to begin with, to the Jewish girl he finds in the attic. Which is not necessarily my first go-to when I think, Here’s a set up for a hilarious situation.

No, it’s not at all, is it? [laughs] And it’s not even a super hilarious film; there’s a lot of comedy in it, but again, as with my other films, it’s more of a drama with a lot of light moments throughout. I’m not even sure if it could be construed as a comedy. It’s definitely not a broad comedy.

Having said all that, it’s the most original way I feel I would want to look at tackling this subject.

You play his imaginary friend: Hitler.

Yeah, but he’s not really Hitler. He’s like a 10 year-old kid’s version of Hitler. So he doesn’t have to share anything with actual Hitler, because 10 year-olds never meet Hitler. He’s basically a 10 year-old who happens to have a tiny little mustache.

I didn’t have to do any research, and I didn’t do any research. I didn’t base him on anything I’d seen about Hitler before. I just made him a version of myself that happened to have a bad haircut and a sh*tty little mustache. And a mediocre German accent.

It would just be too weird to play the actual Hitler, and I don’t think people would enjoy the character as much. Because he was such a f*cking c**t, and everyone knows that as well. I think people have got to relate to really enjoy the ride.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"