TENET

It definitely looks like the sequel to Inception, I wonder if there might be some easter eggs in the movie that at least link it to the same universe. It certainly looks like a very high concept film that's at least trying to do something original with the action/sci-fi espionage genre..

It's not in this present case, but with each movie he pushes the limits and I feel, like I said, he is in danger of one day going too far.

When I saw the trailer for this I legit thought, what??? oh typical Nolan doing that he wants. Inception, Interstellar, now this... may well be good movies, but you stick some new, international directors name and it's a flop in the states, sadly. so to conclude, where does he go next, if he follows this trend of stretching the limits and one day, it will snap.

"Know your limits, mastah Nolan..." :oldrazz:

But seriously, my feeling is that 20 years into his career, it's become pretty clear that he's gotten to where he is because he's very good at taking the audience along for the ride with him and that enough of the audience likes being challenged. He's built a trust there-- and part of that is yes, he will present challenging and mind-bending ideas, but only because he has figured out a way to make it accessible and cinematic. Let's not forget his whole career started with a movie that was told backwards, yet still had a clear emotional through-line.

The thing to keep in mind is that while Nolan keeps pushing things a bit with each film, we as an audience also become more sophisticated, more hungry for something new, and more ready for whatever that next step may be. Especially in a world where there just aren't as many original blockbuster films being made as there used to be, and he's looked to as the guy who can deliver on that- both by WB, and the audience.

Example-- if Inception was made in 1998 instead of 2010, I don't think it does nearly as well. But because we had collectively digested things like The Matrix and had a familiarity with physics-defying action taking place in a realm of the mind, along with the tropes of the heist genre-- it had that feeling of being something fresh, but familiar. So I think as long as he continues to use cinematic language to ground his ideas and doesn't go totally abstract, his movies are going to retain some level of mass appeal.

I really don't think this is shared with Inception. I think we've gotten so used to cinematic universes that when something comes along that tangentially looks like another movie we just assume.

It's a Chris Nolan movie. The heist film and spy film share some commanlities in feel and tone so when you add the Chris Nolan aesthetic there are bound to be similarities.

Last edited:

Christopher Nolan has made no secret of his adoration for the James Bond movies. The director has been linked to directing almost every recent 007 feature, yet there's still no sign of a Nolan-helmed Bond picture.

However, that love of the spy genre flows through Tenet. However, Nolan's been trying his best not to watch any movies that may overtly influence him.

“Interestingly, this is one of the first films I’ve ever made where we didn’t do any screenings,” he tells our sister publication Total Film, referring to the screenings he normally puts on for cast and crew before shooting. “And the reason was, I think we all have the spy genre so in our bones and in our fingertips. I actually wanted to work from a memory and a feeling of that genre, rather than the specifics.”

He continues: “This is definitely the longest period of time I’ve ever gone in my life without watching a James Bond film. My love of the spy genre comes from the Bond franchise, and the Bond character very specifically. I know as much about the Bond films as Alan Partridge does.

"It’s totally in my bones. I don’t need to reference the movies and look at them again. It’s about trying to re-engage with your childhood connection with those movies, with the feeling of what it’s like to go someplace new, someplace fresh. It actually has to take them somewhere they haven’t been before, and that’s why no one’s ever been able, really, to do their own version of James Bond or something. It doesn’t work. And that’s not at all what this is. This is much more my attempt to create the sort of excitement in grand-scale entertainment I felt from those movies as a kid, in my own way.”

"Know your limits, mastah Nolan..." :oldrazz:

But seriously, my feeling is that 20 years into his career, it's become pretty clear that he's gotten to where he is because he's very good at taking the audience along for the ride with him and that enough of the audience likes being challenged. He's built a trust there-- and part of that is yes, he will present challenging and mind-bending ideas, but only because he has figured out a way to make it accessible and cinematic. Let's not forget his whole career started with a movie that was told backwards, yet still had a clear emotional through-line.

The thing to keep in mind is that while Nolan keeps pushing things a bit with each film, we as an audience also become more sophisticated, more hungry for something new, and more ready for whatever that next step may be. Especially in a world where there just aren't as many original blockbuster films being made as there used to be, and he's looked to as the guy who can deliver on that- both by WB, and the audience.

Example-- if Inception was made in 1998 instead of 2010, I don't think it does nearly as well. But because we had collectively digested things like The Matrix and had a familiarity with physics-defying action taking place in a realm of the mind, along with the tropes of the heist genre-- it had that feeling of being something fresh, but familiar. So I think as long as he continues to use cinematic language to ground his ideas and doesn't go totally abstract, his movies are going to retain some level of mass appeal.

Paprika...

David Bowie once said something that I feel works with Nolan, I can't remember the whole quote but it went along the lines of - being able to see what is popular and good and tweaking it to your style without them realizing, is the key. From Heat, to 2001 a space oddessey to Paprika, Nolan has done this and hey, who doesn't?

I really don't think this is shared with Inception. I think we've gotten so used to cinematic universes that when something comes along that looks tangentially like another movie we just assume.

It's a Chris Nolan movie. The heist film and spy film share some commanlities in feel and tone so when you add the Chris Nolan aesthetic there are bound to be similarities.
Yup, all of this.

Paprika...

David Bowie once said something that I feel works with Nolan, I can't remember the whole quote but it went along the lines of - being able to see what is popular and good and tweaking it to your style without them realizing, is the key. From Heat, to 2001 a space oddessey to Paprika, Nolan has done this and hey, who doesn't?

Oh yeah, I mean I think that's what the best mainstream "pop art" does. I always say it's about being able to internalize all your influences and produce something new out of them. Everything's a rip-off to some extent, but I think certain things feel more original than others based on how well they can do this.

Some very interesting and enlightening possibilities in this breakdown.

John David Washington on How He’s Not Just Denzel’s Son, His NFL Career, and New Movie ‘Tenet’

KwPkiWY.jpg

John David—the Washington we’re here to talk about today—will star in the most anticipated movie of the summer: Christopher Nolan’s top-secret and most ambitious project yet, Tenet. He’ll be playing a James Bond/Jason Bourne–type character. The men who lead Nolan’s films are superstars: Leonardo DiCaprio, Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman, Matthew McConaughey. And Washington is coming off a Golden Globe nomination for Lee’s BlacKkKlansman. He is now poised to become a household name, someone instantly recognizable, Hollywood’s next great leading man. This is John David Washington’s moment.

Right around that time, BlacKkKlansmanpremiered at Cannes. Spike Lee sat behind Christopher Nolan. Every so often, Lee snuck a glance at the writer-director to see how he was reacting to his film and his star. Lee recounts this story and then tells me to take down a note to read to Nolan when I talk to him later in the week.

“Ask him, say, ‘Dear Chris, this is your cinema brother, Spike Lee. I’m looking forward to seeing Tenet, starring the great, great John David Washington. Thank you for casting him and making yourself look good. Thank you for casting him, for hoisting him into the stratosphere. My question for you is: Did you decide that you’re going to cast John David Washington at the world premiere of BlacKkKlansman?’ ”

So I ask.

Nolan laughs. “Oh, very much,” he says. “By the way, it was a pretty intense experience to sit in front of Spike Lee at the premiere. And no, it very much sort of felt like destiny to me. That was an extraordinary screening, and the audience response to Spike’s movie was really electric in that room at Cannes; it was quite something. And I just felt a sort of magnetism there. It really was an important thing for me in terms of feeling like it was meant to be somehow.”

Nolan had first seen Washington in Ballers years before. He had no idea who he was—didn’t know his name or who his dad was. He was just struck by his charisma onscreen. Nolan, who writes many of his films, including Tenet, generally tries not to think about casting while he’s writing his scripts. But with Tenet, he simply couldn’t get Washington out of his head. So he called the actor, who was still filming Ballers at the time, into a meeting.

“In my first conversation with him, he just felt like somebody on the cusp of really great things. And so from a selfish point of view as a filmmaker, you immediately think, I’d like to be a part of that actor’s journey. I’d like to harness that energy that he has,” Nolan says. The role Washington has taken on is that of a pragmatic secret agent with a genuine warmth and humanity. Washington’s history as an athlete helped convince Nolan as well.

“The film has more action than any film I’ve ever done. It has a plethora of action sequences that he’s taken the lead in. So he gets to do all kinds of different things. That athleticism also puts itself into the way he walks down the street and the way he talks and the way he moves,” Nolan says. “I remember years ago reading an account of when [Bond franchise producer] Cubby Broccoli first saw Sean Connery and considered him to play James Bond. He looked out the window and watched him walk away at the end of the meeting and said, ‘He moves like a panther, he moves like a cat, like a catlike grace,’ and I think John David has his own version of that. In every move, there’s this extraordinary athleticism and energy. This kind of controlled energy just fits this type of character so well. He’s just extraordinarily graceful.”

Washington stars opposite Robert Pattinson, and the success of the film rides on the chemistry between the two, Nolan says. The actors met shortly before filming, when Pattinson invited his new castmates to his thirty-third-birthday party in L. A.

“He turned up late, and by that point I was very much in a convivial spirit, and then it was him and Aaron Taylor-Johnson turned up, and I think I was just screaming and shouting at them for like an hour, and I suddenly regretted everything I said afterward, and so I thought maybe we’re off to a really bad start, but he was very sweet about it,” Pattinson says. “He’s so positive and not positive in a really annoying way, like he’s definitely . . .  you can definitely push him a little bit to be naughty. He doesn’t mind when other people are naughty.”

“It’s an incredibly complicated movie, like all of Chris’s movies. I mean, you have to watch them when they’re completely finished and edited three or four times to understand what the true meaning is,” Pattinson says. He pauses for a moment, then continues with a self-deprecating laugh. “When you’re doing them, I mean, there were months at a time where I’m like, ‘Am I . . . I actually, honestly, have no idea if I’m even vaguely understanding what’s happening.’ And yeah, I would definitely say that to John David. On the last day, I asked him a question about what was happening in a scene, and it was just so profoundly the wrong take on the character. And it was like, ‘Have you been thinking this the entire time?’ . . . There’s definitely a bond in the end in kind of hiding the fact that maybe neither one of us knew exactly what was going on. But then I thought, Ah, but John David actually did know. He had to know what was going on."

Nolan’s films often have a complex action scene that fans end up obsessively dissecting. InTenet, the action is relentless. After wrapping, Washington was physically wrecked, unable to run for more than a month.

“There were some times I couldn’t get up out of bed. A couple weeks in, I was worried, very concerned I wasn’t going to be able to finish this thing, and I didn’t want to tell anybody because I was like, ‘Oh, I will die for this,’ ” Washington says. “It was like, in the NFL, I felt like I needed to be there every day to keep my job, and I felt the same way about this. This film deserves it. Even if I break something, I am not going to say nothing to nobody until this thing gets done.”

WN5gkuF.jpg

ngzauqX.jpg

YlbKUbR.jpg

Last edited:
Nolan watched Ballers? Wow. Not the biggest takeaway one should get from this article but I find that kind of interesting.

Nolan watched Ballers? Wow. Not the biggest takeaway one should get from this article but I find that kind of interesting.

Ballers is a popular HBO series. Not sure what Nolan routinely binges at home, but it wouldn't surprise me if he checks stuff out.

Isn’t the secrecy behind this film (e.g., vague plot details, no character names, etc) because it’s a DC film based on Clock King and his time manipulation device? Washington is Green Arrow. Even the old verbal working title mentioned earlier in this thread “Tempus Fugit” is a variation of Clock King’s real name (Temple Fugate).

Isn’t the secrecy behind this film (e.g., vague plot details, no character names, etc) because it’s a DC film based on Clock King and his time manipulation device? Washington is Green Arrow. Even the old verbal working title mentioned earlier in this thread “Tempus Fugit” is a variation of Clock King’s real name (Temple Fugate).
uhhhh

If theaters open and take proper precautions I think I might go and see this. It just looks worth the trouble. I wouldn't say it for any other movie this year but that third trailer sold me so much I want to see this in IMAX.

Regal just announced they're re-opening in July. It's starting to feel like this might actually happen.

I'm curious about the economics of it. I don't think there's a way theaters are going to allow full capacity, and there's still going to be a portion of people who just won't want to come out and I wonder how much that will impact the box office. But maybe WB has factored that all in and is OK with the movie making less, and just sees it as an important opportunity to get the engine running again.

If it opens, I'm not going to miss it. I've made more than a few trips to the supermarket during the pandemic that took 2 hours because it was mobbed. Sitting in a socially-distanced movie theater would likely be a lot safer than that. The only issue for me is that my go-to IMAX is the NYC Lincoln Square one (I live in NJ) and I can't imagine going into the city and walking into a movie theater there. That is where I may have to draw the line. I hope they'll do an IMAX re-release of this post-pandemic.

Regal just announced they're re-opening in July. It's starting to feel like this might actually happen.

I'm curious about the economics of it. I don't think there's a way theaters are going to allow full capacity, and there's still going to be a portion of people who just won't want to come out and I wonder how much that will impact the box office. But maybe WB has factored that all in and is OK with the movie making less, and just sees it as an important opportunity to get the engine running again.

If it opens, I'm not going to miss it. I've made more than a few trips to the supermarket during the pandemic that took 2 hours because it was mobbed. Sitting in a socially-distanced movie theater would likely be a lot safer than that. The only issue for me is that my go-to IMAX is the NYC Lincoln Square one (I live in NJ) and I can't imagine going into the city and walking into a movie theater there. That is where I may have to draw the line. I hope they'll do an IMAX re-release of this post-pandemic.

Even if they are reopening in July, that's just Regal, and will they even be at full capacity?

Even if they are reopening in July, that's just Regal, and will they even be at full capacity?

Cineworld Plans for Global Reopening of All Its Cinemas in July – Variety

They haven't announced any more details yet, but I can't imagine that they'd open at full capacity. Also to take into consideration is that Disney World announced plans to re-open in July, but at "reduced capacity"-- although I don't think it's clear just how reduced that means.

But if Regal does open, it's hard to imagine AMC wouldn't make a move. I think we'll probably be hearing something about AMC soon. And of course there's still the question of the NYC and LA markets. Still a very fluid situation, but it does seem like there's a non-0 chance that it does open this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"