Texas High School Student Teacher Rant Goes Viral

The only problem with this, is that we don't know what happened right before this. The camera started recording the incident just before the rant by the kid, so the kid said or did something film-worthy before this rant of his.

We also don't know the history between this kid and the teacher. He could be a kid who acts out frequently, and just letting him rant until the principle or security comes is/has been the best way for the teacher to deal with this particular student.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the teacher in this situation.

The kid was a drop out, decided to go back to school, raised his hand to ask the teacher a question as he didn't understand something from the packet and she told him to quit his *****ing, hence his rant.

The kid was a drop out, decided to go back to school, raised his hand to ask the teacher a question as he didn't understand something from the packet and she told him to quit his *****ing, hence his rant.

And that's the teacher's version of the story? Because that part isn't included in the video. I seriously doubt that's the whole story.

There's another video out there of a of young girl confronting her teacher in the classroom about not teaching the class. It was quite sad.

There's another video out there of a of young girl confronting her teacher in the classroom about not teaching the class. It was quite sad.

I imagine it will start to become a trend. Instead of just angry ranting in front of the class, kids will learn to make the teacher look bad instead of just their usual class disruption.

Don't get me wrong, there are bad teachers out there, but there are far more bad students, and they're learning how to manipulate the situation to their favor. And their parents aren't helping by blaming teachers for their kids' failures, bad grades and bad
unknauthor_problem-cartoon.jpg
behavior.

I imagine it will start to become a trend. Instead of just angry ranting in front of the class, kids will learn to make the teacher look bad instead of just their usual class disruption.

Don't get me wrong, there are bad teachers out there, but there are far more bad students, and they're learning how to manipulate the situation to their favor. And their parents aren't helping by blaming teachers for their kids' failures, bad grades and bad
unknauthor_problem-cartoon.jpg
behavior.

100% agreed. So many parents expect the teachers to be doing their job for them, and when the results are less than favorable, they complain and blame the teachers (and yes, there are FAR more poor students than there are teachers). As you so perfectly put it, it's escaping responsibility through manipulating the situation to their advantage.

This isn't a really a surprise though. Everyone wants great results (in this case, the parents want their children to be good students and get good grades), but no one wants to actually work for it (spending time studying with your child, disciplining them, teaching them the value of hard work, etc...).

So while it's easy to rally around a viral video of a student speaking his mind, this is, more often then not, the exception rather than the rule.

And that's the teacher's version of the story? Because that part isn't included in the video. I seriously doubt that's the whole story.

It was in a couple of Yahoo articles the other day, plus comments from others in the classroom.

It was in a couple of Yahoo articles the other day, plus comments from others in the classroom.

What was? The teacher's response? Do you have a link?

Last edited:
Good. There are so many bad teachers entrenched in the system thanks to tenure and unions. I'm a teacher myself and have seen first-hand a teacher who would regularly show up drunk or hungover to his classes (and would also call out sick for those same reasons).

Good. There are so many bad teachers entrenched in the system thanks to tenure and unions. I'm a teacher myself and have seen first-hand a teacher who would regularly show up drunk or hungover to his classes (and would also call out sick for those same reasons).

I find it very hard to believe that you would side with the student in this case based on such little evidence. You're a teacher and never had to deal with a student like this?

Yes there are bad teachers, but the lazy and drunk ones are a rarity and end up getting fired.

I find it very hard to believe that you would side with the student in this case based on such little evidence. You're a teacher and never had to deal with a student like this?

Yes there are bad teachers, but the lazy and drunk ones are a rarity and end up getting fired.

It's very hard to fire a teacher who has tenure. Also if a student is bad they act out by being rude or disrespectful. This was something more. This student wasn't acting out so much as he was challenging the teacher on her teaching style and from what he said, yes I do side with him. It sounds like she legitimately didn't give a crap. She was placed on administrative leave, so obviously the school thinks there's something to this.

Good for the student!

And in typical fashion, the school district issues a lawyered up/weasel word statement and then turns around and lays blame on the kid because "it should have been handled more appropriately".

How much you want to bet this is not the first time this student has brought this issue up, probably through the proper channels, then to just be ignored and glad-handled until he couldn't take it anymore.

Teachers are there FOR THE STUDENTS, it is NOT the other way around.

What was? The teacher's response? Do you have a link?

I don't know how you keep thinking I'm talking about the teacher's response. I am talking about the back story of the student and commentary from those who know him. Not going through the trouble of looking for the articles, sorry.

It's very hard to fire a teacher who has tenure. Also if a student is bad they act out by being rude or disrespectful. This was something more. This student wasn't acting out so much as he was challenging the teacher on her teaching style and from what he said, yes I do side with him. It sounds like she legitimately didn't give a crap. She was placed on administrative leave, so obviously the school thinks there's something to this.
Unfortunately there doesn't have to be anything to it for the school to put a teacher on leave. All it takes is a couple of parents complaining and even if the teacher did nothing wrong, the school punishes the teacher. It happens all the time these days, and is pretty ridiculous how far schools go to cater to the students and their parents.

I don't know how you keep thinking I'm talking about the teacher's response. I am talking about the back story of the student and commentary from those who know him. Not going through the trouble of looking for the articles, sorry.
That's what I thought, and that's why I was asking what the teacher's response was. Because I really don't think the kid(not wanting to get in trouble) and his friends(not wanting to get their friend in trouble)are very reliable sources for what really happened.

Unfortunately there doesn't have to be anything to it for the school to put a teacher on leave. All it takes is a couple of parents complaining and even if the teacher did nothing wrong, the school punishes the teacher. It happens all the time these days, and is pretty ridiculous how far schools go to cater to the students and their parents.

Okay. But there are also many bad teachers in the system who don't give a crap and don't deserve to teach. Have you heard of "last hired, first fired"? That means a good new teacher will always be let go before an old teacher with tenure, even if the new teacher is more passionate and works harder. I know there are some crappy students and parents as well, but from what this kid said about "packets", "just a paycheck", and not connecting with students, it legitimately seems like his anger might be justified.

This is video is just a one sided conversation, we don't know what happened before, around here it's quite common to see students giving a rant to their teacher when they're told to leave the class, it has become quite common around here, and guess what? All the students i've seen doing that don't even try to learn, no matter how motivating the professor is.

In my country taking the side of the student and taking out more of the rights of the teacher has been leading to a worse education as the students start doing whatever they want while the teacher becomes less and less motivated, leading to him having more problem teaching.

I saw this comment in a site and found it very interesting:

There has developed an expectation that school is simply another form of entertainment, in which education may or may not happen. As long as students are "engaged", then the result is unimportant.
I would argue that this concept is not efficient, as more time and resources are spent on finding ways to increase the entertainment value of the educational experience than is spent on developing effective learning and teaching strategies.
Some will argue that if the student is not engaged, he/she will not learn. On some level, that may be true. However, if learning as a habit is instilled in children at an early age, then they do not need to be entertained, but rather taught, in whatever form that takes.
But, as schools become more and more used as behaviour management centres rather than educational facilities, all students' educations suffer due to poorly behaved, disruptive students that have no interest in being part of a learning environment.

Last edited:
Come on, i'm a student and i've seen colegues of mine being rude and doing the oposite of what they should be doing in the classes, yet when a teacher asks him to leave he suddenly says he never did what the teacher said he did, many do exactly what that kid in the video did by trying to teach the teacher.

Nowadays teachers automatically have to teach, if a certain student doesn't care the fault is given to the teacher not the student, which is really ******ed. There's a reason why teachers are under more pressure nowadays, yet the grades are getting worse, nobody remembers that parents are fundamental in giving their kids the proper education, without that it's not like teachers will do any miracle.

The whole system is messed up. Teachers are paid poorly, educated and taught to teach their students poorly and the students themselves have no ambition, enthusiasm or motiviation to be taught.

All education has become is a tool to "educate" children in such a way they learn only a basic level of understanding and are discouraged from breaking out of a mold.

Then there's the standards, the minimum requirements for schools to accomplish to get any kind of funding that means kids are given grades they shouldn't, aren't encouraged to go off a topic into a deeper discussion and are taught things that are either outdated, redundant or just plain wrong.

Which doesn't even begin to cover the meddling of what is being taught...

This is video is just a one sided conversation, we don't know what happened before, around here it's quite common to see students giving a rant to their teacher when they're told to leave the class, it has become quite common around here, and guess what? All the students i've seen doing that don't even try to learn, no matter how motivating the professor is.
:

It's very difficult to know the true dynamic here. Maybe the teacher really was very passive, although that doesn't explain why she's on leave. Then again,the story said that the student once dropped out, so the crux of the issue could be an attention-span/personality problem with the student.

I hope to God there was an applause-starting slow-clap that directly followed this.

It's very difficult to know the true dynamic here. Maybe the teacher really was very passive, although that doesn't explain why she's on leave. Then again,the story said that the student once dropped out, so the crux of the issue could be an attention-span/personality problem with the student.

They put teachers on leave for petty complaints from parents all the time. They do it to cover themselves legally, just in case. They treat almost every situation as though the teacher is automatically guilty. It's pretty ridiculous.

As someone slowly trying to move out of the education sector (or rather, to something outside of teaching but still within education or which my education degree can be applied to) at least partially due to the idiocy of (some of) the kids I deal with, I'm somewhat biased against the student.

That said, there are definitely some really terrible teachers at the school I'm at who don't care at all about teaching, especially those who are nearing their retirement. There's one guy, no idea how he's been there this long, but it is literally something like this, every single day, day in and day out--read the chapter out of the textbook, fill in study guide, take test. And I mean, he's not even actively explaining the textbook to them as they go (like when I do that, I stop every few minutes and go back over what we read with them in a Q&A/discussion session, even if it's just like, two questions, it helps keep them involved and interested), it's like, you read the textbook to yourself and then fill in the study guide. Rinse repeat. Every time I sub for him, his lesson plans are all hand written, and they always just say, "Play video in VCR" for every single class. Other teachers have me do their actual lesson plans.

I just wish he said this at the end:

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." - Benjamin Franklin

You should watch Waiting for Superman.

Especially the part where they cover tenure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"