• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Endgame Thanos/The Mad Titan - Josh Brolin

Thanos was one of the 5 characters terribly mishandled in Endgame. His death in the first 15 minutes of the movie was one of the most anti-climactic endings to a villain in cinematic history. In Infinity War, he was a compelling villain. Ever present and threatening. The Russos did all the hard work...only to kill him off while he's making a stew so they could get on with their silly SNL Thor sketch and treating Captain Marvel like a piece of cardboard.

While agree that Past Thanos was more menacing, this could've easily have been fixed, if they kept IW Thanos alive until the end and have him say and do the exact same thing. The MAJOR difference is Infinity War Thanos would actually have a history with the Avengers so the fight would have more resonance. Instead Past Thanos just looks at everyone and says "Who the **** are all these people?". They might as well have an army of Smurfs in front of him as they have no emotional connection to him. No killing Loki, No remembering who Scarlet Witch is, No knowing who Stark is. No knowledge of the fight on Titan. NOTHING. It would've meant hell of alot more if he did know who Scarlet Witch was. He might as well have been an entirely new character. Thanos was badly managed in EG. One of the many issues I had with the movie.

For real, that did kind of stick out to me... Like here we are at the main battle of all battles built up over 10 years.

One... 2014 Thanos has NO idea who anyone really is and his line to Scarlet Witch was to highlight that I guess.

Secondly, add to that that everyone fighting Thanos had no idea that wasn't even the same Thanos! So basically nobody knows anyone lol Odd.

Thirdly, I was a little bothered there was no dialogue about what had just happened when Avengers HQ got attacked. Stark just seemed to know it all already.

The movie is too good for these nit picks to bother me all that much, I just like pointing out these little tid bits that I did have a ?? over my head about lol

Last edited:
Exactly.

They already knew who they were fighting - the same Thanos, but without having collected the Stones.

He also knew who he was fighting - the people who stopped his plan in the battle of NY. He even says it in the film: "Avengers.. Unrully wretches"- the first time he sees them on the hologram.

So it's not like they aren't sharing any history together in the final battle.

Exactly.

They already knew who they were fighting - the same Thanos, but without having collected the Stones.

He also knew who he was fighting - the people who stopped his plan in the battle of NY. He even says it in the film: "Avengers.. Unrully wretches"- the first time he sees them on the hologram.

So it's not like they aren't sharing any history together in the final battle.

I think it would have meant more and had more of an impact if it was the SAME Thanos who started this whole mess... not a Thanos who was still trying to.

The point people are trying to make I think is that it doesn't feel as heavy as it should or rather to me at least lol

Again, the final action sequence and movie itself is too good to complain... I just enjoy discussing things I would have liked to have seen. As I am sure many on here do.

I think Thanos will return in the future. 2018 Thanos knew that wielding the Infinity Gauntlet would probably kill him. It did ruin his body. Thanos knows how to clone himself and transfer his consciousness into clone bodies. He made a clone of himself before he started using the stones. His death was required to activate the transfer of consciousness, so he let the Avengers kill him. Once beheaded, he woke up in his new body. He will be around again to wreck havok in future movies like Annihilation and Secret Wars.

While I do hope to see Thanos again its unlikely... But Whut? :huh:

In other news, anyone else having tech issues with site backing out every time you enter a thread?

It's all Disney at this point lol

Did you need to start your reply with a condescending "Uh.... No"? LOL

My comment was an opinion/question. Not facts

Doesn't rocket say to Thor on Asgard that the people they lost are only kind of dead? Not Dead dead…

And if the people/heroes that Thanos snapped away died died, then how was Strange able to see past his own death to see that 1 win outcome which btw is established he should not have been able to do if he was really dead dead...
To your first point...

Uh... Yeah. LOL. :o

And to the rest:

Rocket's comments are about how there is a possibility to bring the snapped back. Because the plan wasn't about just bringing back anyone at anytime for any reason. As a for instance they weren't gonna use the stones to bring back Loki or Heimdall. And again... Where was there any concrete statement made about souls in limbo or some such in either IW or AEG? Peter says he was "dusty" and then he awakens on Titan with Strange and the Guardians with Strange, forearmed with the knowledge from the time stone aware that they will be called to Earth soon.

2. The obvious answer is that in the one outcome where they win... Strange is alive again. It's that simple. Even with that... Where was it established that using the time stone as Strange did had a limitation on it that linked what could be seen to the users's own lifespan or some such? If it was I missed it. Granted I've only bothered with the first Strange film like maybe twice cuz I thought it was pretty meh.

Anyone else notice the directors for these movies never display Thanos telepathy,magic, and power beams. He is much more than just a hulk fighting type character.

He did quite a bit of that stuff in Infinity War (used power beams on Iron Man on Titan, turned Drax and Mantis into silly strings and slices, turned weapons into bubbles, etc). Endgame Thanos wasn't able to get a hold of the stones long enough to use any of them in any meaningful way (aside from grabbing the power stone to use on Captain Marvel).

He did quite a bit of that stuff in Infinity War (used power beams on Iron Man on Titan, turned Drax and Mantis into silly strings and slices, turned weapons into bubbles, etc). Endgame Thanos wasn't able to get a hold of the stones long enough to use any of them in any meaningful way (aside from grabbing the power stone to use on Captain Marvel).

Thanos in the comics has these powers without the Infinity Stones, that's what he is talking about.

To your first point...

Uh... Yeah. LOL. :o

And to the rest:

Rocket's comments are about how there is a possibility to bring the snapped back. Because the plan wasn't about just bringing back anyone at anytime for any reason. As a for instance they weren't gonna use the stones to bring back Loki or Heimdall. And again... Where was there any concrete statement made about souls in limbo or some such in either IW or AEG? Peter says he was "dusty" and then he awakens on Titan with Strange and the Guardians with Strange, forearmed with the knowledge from the time stone aware that they will be called to Earth soon.

2. The obvious answer is that in the one outcome where they win... Strange is alive again. It's that simple. Even with that... Where was it established that using the time stone as Strange did had a limitation on it that linked what could be seen to the users's own lifespan or some such? If it was I missed it. Granted I've only bothered with the first Strange film like maybe twice cuz I thought it was pretty meh.

Uhhh, yea well go back and watch Dr. Strange then LOL :o

They set up the Time Stone rule purposefully that the Ancient One could not see past her own death.

The Time Stone only lets you see so far into the future. She couldn't see that Thanos was coming, right? Why? Because she was dead by that point in time.

Yet, she knew Strange would be coming to her in 5 years as mentioned in EG... She tells Bruce he's "5 years too early". That would mean she had used the Time Stone to see into her future and saw that Dr. Strange would be the best of the best from the mystical arts.

(Very cool how these movies connect with the call backs btw)

So, by that MCU logic Doctor Strange should not have been able to see any outcomes past his dusting (death). Unless.... He wasn't dead dead?

Maybe the Russos will clarify this at some point.

Thanos in the comics has these powers without the Infinity Stones, that's what he is talking about.

For a time pretty much every Marvel Cosmic character could shoot energy blasts from their hands, including our pal Drax:

025drx_com_inl_03.jpg

But going with a bare bones Thanos in Infinity War was a good move in my estimation. Seeing him tear through extremely powerful heroes just with a couple of stones or a Thanos copter blade made his success all the more impressive.

Bringing back Thanos would be lame. I don't want to see that unless they completely reboot the MCU. There are more than enough characters to use.
I could see Thanos coming back in anti hero role, especially if they introduce a villain like Galactus.

Uhhh, yea well go back and watch Dr. Strange then LOL :o

They set up the Time Stone rule purposefully that the Ancient One could not see past her own death.

The Time Stone only lets you see so far into the future. She couldn't see that Thanos was coming, right? Why? Because she was dead by that point in time.

Yet, she knew Strange would be coming to her in 5 years as mentioned in EG... She tells Bruce he's "5 years too early". That would mean she had used the Time Stone to see into her future and saw that Dr. Strange would be the best of the best from the mystical arts.

(Very cool how these movies connect with the call backs btw)

So, by that MCU logic Doctor Strange should not have been able to see any outcomes past his dusting (death). Unless.... He wasn't dead dead?

Maybe the Russos will clarify this at some point.
As stated... Strange1 isn't in my memory bank all that much cuz it was very meh to me.

But again... Why do you continually discount that:

1. Strange was seeing himself ALIVE AGAIN, thus side stepping that limitation of the time stone. The one future where they win... He comes back to life. In fact one might contemplate this is why he knew what he did. It was the only outcome where he was able to see past his "death".

2. There is literally nothing mentioning or referring to a limbo or place where the dusted characters went. Nothing. No scene or line that makes your speculation so. It just isn't there so again... Thanos is dead. His troops are dead. As of now there is no reason to think they are trapped someplace waiting to be released.

As stated... Strange1 isn't in my memory bank all that much cuz it was very meh to me.

But again... Why do you continually discount that:

1. Strange was seeing himself ALIVE AGAIN, thus side stepping that limitation of the time stone. The one future where they win... He comes back to life. In fact one might contemplate this is why he knew what he did. It was the only outcome where he was able to see past his "death".

2. There is literally nothing mentioning or referring to a limbo or place where the dusted characters went. Nothing. No scene or line that makes your speculation so. It just isn't there so again... Thanos is dead. His troops are dead. As of now there is no reason to think they are trapped someplace waiting to be released.

Doctor Strange isn't the best MCU film sure, but give it another try. Its not all that bad actually.

1. How can you see yourself come back to life if your dead tho?? There is nothing set up in the MCU that says there is a limitation to the rule of the Time Stone. However, there is mentioning of not being able to see past your death with regards to time/time stone. That's set up in universe so its applicable here. This seems like your inferring.

2. Well, there is that scene with Thanos and Gomorrah in the Soul Stone so... But lets not make this any more complicated :funny: I moved on from that and nothing in my last post said anything about Limbo, it was a thought I had as a 'What If' in my initial post. But again... to that logic, would Thanos then not be able to be snapped/blipped back into existence?

Where I am getting lost in your argument is that while the first snap dusted everyone yet they were able to be snapped back to life...Thanos and his horde can only be snapped to death and that's it? They couldn't be snapped back? Why is he exempt and the exception to the snap?

If Thanos had actually killed Stark (like he did Loki), then that is final death. By giving up the stone, Strange spared the others from actually being killed. It seems “death by snap” isn’t really death.

Yet: Loki is dead, Heimdall is dead, Gomorrah is dead, Vision is dead, Nat is dead, Stark is Dead, Thors' mom is dead. All dead dead and not able to be snapped back into existence.

Last edited:
Thanos coming back for the "What If...." series is the only time we'll likely see him again. He served his purpose for the Infinity War Saga, now it's time to move on to the next big threat.

Its gonna be kind of hard to top this though. This guy killed half the universe. All Galactus does is destroy one planet at a time. Every other villain seems like a pussycat compared to what Thanos did.

I think it be at least 5-10 years before we reach the next Avengers level threat to build all those stakes up again...

Its gonna be kind of hard to top this though. This guy killed half the universe. All Galactus does is destroy one planet at a time. Every other villain seems like a pussycat compared to what Thanos did.

I disagree. While Thanos wiped out half of all life because he felt the universe needed correcting, Galactus brings about total extinction wherever he goes.

Galactus would definitely be a worthy and epic threat. Especially when they use him they hopefully make it a galaxy spanning story and not just him solely focusing on Earth. A film or even a two parter could involve the Skrulls, the Kree and who knows who else.

Last edited:
I think you are getting your Disney franchises mixed up there. :oldrazz: That sounds like the Emperor.

I think it was actually cool that they killed Thanos right at the beginning. It throws the audience completely off guard.

After Captain Marvel shows up and Steve says "let's go get this sonuva" you think the next big fight against Thanos is about to begin. But then we find out the stones are gone and Thanos gets killed. So now what? And then they hit you with another whammy with the Five Years Later. They take us to the absolute lowest point before bringing the hope.

Ah yes...subverting expectations. Because it worked so well for the Star Wars franchise. Killing Thanos in the beginning, took away any real over-arching threat from the film IMO. Without Thanos, the film has no antagonist. There's no real conflict. So the Russos just filled up the movie with lots of jokes.

A better approach to subverting our expectations would've been if they had setup this big fight with Thanos, making us think they're going to win since Captain Marvel was there. She could've been overconfident only to have them lose because he still possesses the Infinity Stones. It would've been a great way to setup a weakness for Captain Marvel and also a character arc of using teamwork. Thanos, almost beaten could've escaped using the Space Stone. Now that he knows the Avengers are looking for him, he gathers an army to battle them.

Ah yes...subverting expectations. Because it worked so well for the Star Wars franchise. Killing Thanos in the beginning, took away any real over-arching threat from the film IMO. Without Thanos, the film has no antagonist. There's no real conflict. So the Russos just filled up the movie with lots of jokes.

A better approach to subverting our expectations would've been if they had setup this big fight with Thanos, making us think they're going to win since Captain Marvel was there. She could've been overconfident only to have them lose because he still possesses the Infinity Stones. It would've been a great way to setup a weakness for Captain Marvel and also a character arc of using teamwork. Thanos, almost beaten could've escaped using the Space Stone. Now that he knows the Avengers are looking for him, he gathers an army to battle them.

A Thanos with all the Infinity Stones doesn't need an army to battle the Avengers. As long as he has more time to think than Thor gave him in IW he'll easily obliterate all of them. Maybe he doesn't even need more time the second time around as he's not just past the shock of all the stones' power going through his body.

What 2014 Thanos should have done once he was wearing the Stark gauntlet was use the stones to incapacitate them like 2018 Thanos did on Titan... Then SNAP!

An Avengers: Endgame tribute focusing on the inevitable villain:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EliSan
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"