Infinity War "I Will Bathe The Starways In Your Blood!" The Thanos / Josh Brolin Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Source? I can dig this. As long as the armor is there.

Don't bother. Thanos hasn't been written well in a while. You want good modern Thanos, read Thanos, Infinity Revelation and Finale, written by Starlin, Thanos' creator.

Also read Infinity Crusade, Thanos: Infinity Abyss, and The End. It all high lights the amazing character development of Thanos. Peaks during Annihlation.

Anything after 2006 Thanos is pretty far off from the foundations of the character.

Have you checked out his new solo run by Jeff Lemiere? I've been curious about it.

Have you checked out his new solo run by Jeff Lemiere? I've been curious about it.

No, I heard it was bad. He made him a pathetic bum.

Marvel comics currently are in a horrid state

No, I heard it was bad. He made him a pathetic bum.

Marvel comics currently are in a horrid state

Damn. They hyped it so much. That sucks :(.

Have you read Deadpool vs Thanos? I actually really enjoyed that. For a comedy, the author seemed to nail his psyche.

Ive read some comic books related to Thanos...

Whats the one that has Hela in it?

Unworthy Thor, the whole run. Thanos works with a mysterious hooded figure throughout the run but it's not revealed that it's Hela until the last issue.

5764258-thanos+hela.jpg

I'd also suggest reading 2013's Infinity. I myself enjoyed it. And it has some moments which I am sure will be adapted into IW or future films.

Infinity definitely had some influence on Infinity War. The use of the Black Order and Outriders, as well as the invasion of Wakanda are all taken from it. As is the heroes fighting on several fronts, arguably.

I'd also suggest reading 2013's Infinity. I myself enjoyed it. And it has some moments which I am sure will be adapted into IW or future films.

I didn't like it at all because of how horribly Thanos was written. The story was neat but THAT is the Thanos I hope to never see on screen, overlord intimidation villain of the week Thanos opposed to intelligent, cunning, thinking Thanos.

As a die hard Thanos fan, unless he's written by Starlin, by the guy who Annihilation, Cosmic Powers, and the Thanos imperative, he isn't Thanos to me.

Smartest character in the MU, over Stark, Banner, Richards, Doom, etc. In fact, Doom, Reed, Tony all needed his help in the Infinity Sagas in the 90s. I'd be baffled if they leave that out. He can scheme and think his way through ANYTHING, while seeing reflections of his psyche in context. Brilliant..Thanos from Infinity was a pale comparison in my opinion

Last edited:
I've read Thanos' Quest and Infinity Gauntlet. What else would you guys reccomend?

I've read Thanos' Quest and Infinity Gauntlet. What else would you guys reccomend?

Finish up the series. IG just starts it.

Infinity War
Infinity Crusade
Thanos Infinity Abyss
Marvel's The End

Then Thanos Imperative.

Cosmic Powers was awesome too.

He is a deeply emotional character

So as somebody who knows essentially nothing about Thanos, what's the depth in his motivation? Why does he want to be all powerful?

So as somebody who knows essentially nothing about Thanos, what's the depth in his motivation? Why does he want to be all powerful?

In the comics it's because he's in love with Death and wants to win her heart by 'correcting' the number of people alive in the universe. Or something like that.

I know i have some Thanos related comic books...i have to go through my hardcover stash and see. I think one of them is called Thanos Reborn or something

To fill a hole, a hole of his gaping lonliness.

To find purpose in his life, and because he can. Power isn't something he necessarily wants. He can attain it, but always deeply questions it existentially. Life has no meaning to him.

To find purpose in his life, and because he can. Power isn't something he necessarily wants. He can attain it, but always deeply questions it existentially. Life has no meaning to him.

This explains Starlin's Thanos perfectly, which is why I've always loved Starlin's Thanos and have hated the evil overlord Thanos that the other authors characterize him as.

I've always thought of Thanos as being insecure and distrusting of people. He craves knowledge and power to protect himself from the emotional and physical pain others could potentially inflict on him. As a child, he probably was longing to be loved and accepted but was instead shunned and bullied by others. Thanos has a heart and he cares but he's built a wall up around it to protect him from emotional pain.

This explains Starlin's Thanos perfectly, which is why I've always loved Starlin's Thanos and have hated the evil overlord Thanos that the other authors characterize him as.

I've always thought of Thanos as being insecure and distrusting of people. He craves knowledge and power to protect himself from the emotional and physical pain others could potentially inflict on him. As a child, he probably was longing to be loved and accepted but was instead shunned and bullied by others. Thanos has a heart and he cares but he's built a wall up around it to protect him from emotional pain.

Speaking in third person now, are we? :o

Exactly, it's deep science fiction rooted in very real psychological theory, which of course is why he's my favorite.

I'd also like to add to my previous post, life has no meaning to him BECAUSE he can't find the meaning of his, in terms of interpersonals.

It's why there is almost a hidden love (not romantic of course) between Thanos and Warlock. Thanos has grown as fond as he can of Warlock because Warlock knows who HE is. It rings true to fandom as well, people don't really understand the depth of the character unless you really read into him, and identify his philosophical rambles as a form of personalization. He's deep, and complex.

All this bleeds through his dialogue somehow when Starlin writes him. THAT's Thanos. It made me excitrd to hear Brolin say Thanos is a very smart character, that the Russos are drawing from Starlin, and that his quest is spiritual. Maybe this deeper part of him isn't getting left out and they are diving deeper than making him a Warlord who believes the universe is not balanced.

"I know what it's like to feel so depsperately that you are right, but to fail all the same.." it almost sounds like a plee for identification.

I'm looking forward to it. Man I can talk about him forever

Exactly, it's deep science fiction rooted in very real psychological theory, which of course is why he's my favorite.

I'd also like to add to my previous post, life has no meaning to him BECAUSE he can't find the meaning of his, in terms of interpersonals.

It's why there is almost a hidden love (not romantic of course) between Thanos and Warlock. Thanos has grown as fond as he can of Warlock because Warlock knows who HE is. It rings true to fandom as well, people don't really understand the depth of the character unless you really read into him, and identify his philosophical rambles as a form of personalization. He's deep, and complex.

All this bleeds through his dialogue somehow when Starlin writes him. THAT's Thanos. It made me excitrd to hear Brolin say Thanos is a very smart character, that the Russos are drawing from Starlin, and that his quest is spiritual. Maybe this deeper part of him isn't getting left out and they are diving deeper than making him a Warlord who believes the universe is not balanced.

"I know what it's like to feel so depsperately that you are right, but to fail all the same.." it almost sounds like a plee for identification.

I'm looking forward to it. Man I can talk about him forever

^ This ^ is exactly why most of the Thanos stories over the last 20 years have been hard to read as a fan of Starlin's Thanos. Starlin, Marz and Giffen have a better understanding of why Thanos is who he is and why he does what he does. He's a complex and philosophically deep individual with insecurities and trust issues who has found a "friend" in Warlock because, like you said, Warlock understands him.

I'll be honest, reading Starlin's Thanos is probably what helped me get through my teen years because I found someone I could relate with in Thanos. Knowledge is power. :)

Finish up the series. IG just starts it.

Infinity War
Infinity Crusade
Thanos Infinity Abyss
Marvel's The End

Then Thanos Imperative.

Cosmic Powers was awesome too.

He is a deeply emotional character
Compulsory reading :up:

For those of you who want to read about Thanos, here is a reading list:
http://www.comicbookherald.com/the-complete-thanos-reading-order-guide/

Thanos Reading Order (Jim Starlin’s Cosmic Comics!)
Thanos’ First Appearance, Captain Marvel, And the Cosmic Cube
Collected Issues Reading Order:
Iron Man #55
Captain Marvel #25 to #32
Avengers #125
Captain Marvel #33 to #34
Thanos Returns – War w/ Adam Warlock
Strange Tales #178 to #181
Warlock #9 to #15
Marvel Team-Up #55
Avengers Annual #7
Marvel Two-in-One Annual #2
Avengers vs. Thanos
A lot of readers have asked me “Hey, what about the Avengers vs. Thanos trade? Where does that fit?” It’s a good question, and essentially, Avengers vs. Thanos will give you a combined package of 1) Thanos First Appearance + Captain Marvel & the Cosmic Cube & 2) The Adam Warlock adventures. It also adds a few oddball Daredevil issues that technically involve Thanos. If you’re a purist, you’ll miss out on a few Warlock issues (#12 to #14), but all in all it’s a good trade that gets you the best of early Thanos stories!
The Death of Captain Marvel
Marvel’s first official Original Graphic Novel is – as you’d expect – a Jim Starlin Captain Marvel story through and through. Aside from simply being a classic and all-time great, though, Starlin does weave some Thanos throughout, and the graphic novel can fit within the larger Thanos narrative.
Silver Surfer: Rebirth of Thanos + Thanos Quest
Silver Surfer #34 to #38 (series beginning in 1987)
Thanos Quest #1 to #2
Infinity Gauntlet
Note that the above link will provide a full event reading order for the early 90’s Infinity Gauntlet. The comics included are based on the Infinity Gauntlet Omnibus, although I have reordered*significantly*as the omnibus*is a chronological mess. While I enjoy the Silver Surfer and Dr. Strange tie-ins, the core series is accessible on its own, and you can enjoy Infinity Gauntlet here!
Infinity Gauntlet: Aftermath
You could also pick up the Infinity Watch Vol. 1 here, which collects *Warlock & the Infinity Watch #1 to #22. Only read Infinity Watch #1 to #7 prior to Infinity War, issues #8 to #10 are tie-ins, and #11 to #17 are included in the Infinity War: Aftermath.
Infinity War
The Warlock and the Infinity Watch tie-ins are the most highly recommended Infinity War tie-ins, but if you want to play along in Marvel Unlimited (as of 8.28.16):
Infinity War Reading Order:*
Warlock and the Infinity Watch #7
Infinity War #1
Fantastic Four #366
Infinity War #2
Fantastic Four #367
Infinity War #3
Marvel Comics Presents #108 to #111
Fantastic Four #368
Warlock and the Infinity Watch #8
Daredevil #310
Infinity War #4
Guardians of the Galaxy #27 to #29
Warlock and the Infinity Watch #9
Infinity War #5
Fantastic Four #369
Warlock and the Infinity Watch #10
Infinity War #6
Fantastic Four #370
Infinity War: Aftermath
Includes Warlock & The Infinity Watch #11 to #17
Infinity Crusade*Vol. 1
Collects:*Infinity Crusade #1-3, Warlock Chronicles #1-3 & Warlock And The Infinity Watch #18-19
Infinity Crusade Vol. 2
Collects:*Infinity Crusade #4-6, Warlock Chronicles #4-5 & Warlock And The Infinity Watch #20-22
Thor: Blood & Thunder
Reading Order:
Thor #468
Silver Surfer #86
Warlock Chronicles #6
Warlock and the Infinity Watch #23
Thor #469
Silver Surfer #87
Warlock Chronicles #7
Warlock and the Infinity Warch #24
Thor #470
Silver Surfer #88
Warlock Chronicles #8
Warlock and the Infinity Watch #25
Thor #471
Infinity Watch Vol. 2
Collects: Warlock & The Infinity Watch #26 to #42
Thanos: Cosmic Powers
Includes Secret Defenders #12 to #14, and Cosmic Powers #1 to #6.
Thanos vs Thor (Thor #18 – #25)
Infinity Abyss
Thanos Ends the Marvel Universe*(Marvel Universe: The End)
2003 – 2004 Standalone Thanos arc*(Thanos: Redemption — Thanos #1 to #12)
I’d consider jumping to my modern Marvel cosmic reading order at this point through Thanos Imperative. That will fill in the*entirety*of the*Marvel Cosmic landscape around Thanos. Naturally, the mad Titan is a major player in all the events leading up to The Thanos Imperative.
Thanos and Annihilation
It’s worth noting here that Annihilation sparks modern Marvel Cosmic, and although these books are inherently indebted to the one and only Jim Starlin, he’s not involved directly in the saga. Nonetheless, the full Thanos narrative would not be complete without Annihilation through Thanos Imperative. You can view the full reading order here.
The Thanos Imperative
Seriously, this will be a much better read if you’ve been keeping up with Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy since Annihilation!
Thanos Rising
If you’ve been following me on Comic Book Herald for any amount of time, you know that I can’t stands Thanos Rising. Nonetheless, it’s an in-continuity part of the Thanos narrative. The book deals with the origins of Thanos, meaning in theory, you could place it first on any reading order. Personally I think that’d be a horrible mistake, as there’s no way this should define the character of Thanos.
Infinity
Pay close attention to the New Avengers #8 tie-in!
Thanos: A God Up There
Thanos Annual #1
Deadpool vs. Thanos
The Infinity Revelation
Thanos vs. Hulk
The Infinity Relativity
The Infinity Entity
The Infinity Finale
Time Runs Out! – New Avengers #24 to #33
For the full reading order (which includes crossover with Avengers and Avengers World), you’ll want to check out the Secret Wars reading order.
Secret Wars
Ultimates: Omniversal Vol. 2
Although Ultimates Vol. 1 does not directly relate to Thanos, you’re going to enjoy this second volume a whole lot more if you’ve read the first six issues of Ewing and Rocafort’s Ultimates. It’s also one of my favorite All-New All-Different Marvel series.
The Unworthy Thor
Thanos Vol. 1: Thanos Returns
For the most accurate continuity between Unworthy Thor and Thanos by Jeff Lemire and Mike Deodato, I recommend reading:
Thanos #1
Unworthy Thor #1 to #5
Thanos #2 to present
Note also that Unworthy Thor is very much a Thor story that happens to feature Thanos, rather than the other way around. Familiarity with Jason Aaron’s extended run on Thor will go a long way to understanding the story.

^ This ^ is exactly why most of the Thanos stories over the last 20 years have been hard to read as a fan of Starlin's Thanos. Starlin, Marz and Giffen have a better understanding of why Thanos is who he is and why he does what he does. He's a complex and philosophically deep individual with insecurities and trust issues who has found a "friend" in Warlock because, like you said, Warlock understands him.

I'll be honest, reading Starlin's Thanos is probably what helped me get through my teen years because I found someone I could relate with in Thanos. Knowledge is power. :)

I can dig that. As I started doing introspective work to uncover repressed sadness related to my family, I started becoming fascinated with Thanos, as he's an extreme.

TOTALLY agree with your comments about the last 20 years. As a result, most younger are exposed to a watered down Thanos, and have a wrong understanding of him, unless they read Starlin's work.

Starlin is crazy, a bit narcissistic but he still wrote THE best Thanos. All my friends who are into the MCU, im trying to get them to read Starlin's work.

He was in desperate need of a hobby.

I just hope Marvel doesnt nerf Thanos in the movie. I hope he gets to fight some of the Avengers without the infinity stones.

Starlin writes him as a very Shakesperian tragic character, which is what really sets him apart from other villains in Marvel. Even Doom doesn't have that much Freudian **** going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"