The Addams Family

I always preferred the tv series. But that's just me.

The TV series has NOTHING on the two Barry Sonnefield films.

Anjelica Huston, Raul Julia, Christopher Lloyd, and Christina Ricci will always be Morticia, Gomez, Fester and Wednesday to me. :o

I love the scene with Raul Julia at the police station. It's the first thing I always think of when I remember that movie.

I love the part with the fake psychiatrist: "I didn't hate my mother, it was an accident."

i will always remember The Adams Family and its sequel for the being the last movies that Angelica Houston was attractive. Afterwards, she pulled the age game and got old fast. Not as bad as Kathleen Turner though.

Values was better then the first one, but I liked the first one as well.

Here's an interesting fact:

- Both David Krumholtz and Peter MacNicol were in Addams Family Values and are currently on the CBS Show "Numbers."

I love the scene with Raul Julia at the police station. It's the first thing I always think of when I remember that movie.
Gomez: Has the planet gone mad?! My brother, passions hostage. I seek justice...denied! I shall not submit! I shall conquer! I shall rise! My name is Gomez Addams, and I have seen evil!

[Grandmama waves Pubert in the air]

Gomez: I have seen horror!

[Lurch waves]

Gomez: I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!

Morticia: They're at camp.

Gomez: I have seen all this officer. But until today, I had never seen...you!

Haha. Anjelica Huston's delivery of ''They're at Camp." makes that scene all the more better too. The way she just sort of leans forward and does this hand movement when she says it.

The hilarious thing was how they all played everything so straight in response to the other people. The only time they ever really got seriously pissed was when somebody was an actual threat to them.

Loved Addams family Values. Every time it's on, I get hooked in. Great performances, great gags, great lines...

I love the part with the fake psychiatrist: "I didn't hate my mother, it was an accident."

LOL! Love that one. Another classic is when Morticia introduces Joan Cusack's psycho nanny character, Debbie, to Gomez:

Debbie: "Isn't he a lady killer"
Gomez: "I quitted"
Debbie: "These Addams men, where do you find them?"
Morticia: "It has to be damp"

^Actually he said "acquitted" which was even more crazy.

"Are those girl scout cookies made from real girl scouts?" {loved the blank look on Wednesday / Pugsley's face}
"We're Addamses".. then gomez's face was like :dry:
"Lurch...did you cook that cake BEFORE she was in there?.....that poor girl.."

:hehe::hehe::hehe:

Raul never gave anything less than the best. :up:

RIP

i will always remember The Adams Family and its sequel for the being the last movies that Angelica Houston was attractive.

Agreed.

I thought Angelica was pretty attractive as Morticia as well.

As far as the films go, I loved them. Actually, they were what initially got me interested in the Addams Family in the first place. As I began watching the re-runs from the 1960's soon after ... and haven't really stopped since. :yay:

I like these movies. What ever happened to Barry Sonnefield? Oh right, Wild Wild West and MIB 2...

My other favorite moment was when Thing was trying to spell out that Morticia was in danger, and Gomez yells "It is terrible when you stutter!"

And when Wednesday is playing the game with the electric chair. "It's called: is there a God?"

And her Halloween costume: "This is my costume. I'm going as a serial killer. They look like everyone else."

One of my favorite lines in Values was Gomez was consoling Fester..."Someday you'll find someone special, someone who won't press charges..." :funny:

Morticia: "Fester is really a wonderful man. He's just a little bit shy"
Debbie: "Really I just can't tell does he like me at all?"
Morticia: "Of course he does. He vomited"
Debbie: "That's true. Does he always do that with girls he likes?"
Morticia: "Oh no. Just with you"

One of the few adaptation from a TV show that actually works, and fantastic casting. Enough said.

looking back now, I think Raul Julia would have been a great Sinestro.

Seems to me that Wednesday got all the best lines.

Becky: Oh, they're just shy.
Pugsley: We're not shy.
Wednesday: We're contagious.

here is no quibbling:
The sweetest relationship is sibling to sibling.
My emotions have left me... dribbling.
I'll stab anyone who starts gnawing and nibbling
At my feelings for my sibling!

We've danced it in the graveyards
Where the maggots bill and coo
It's perfect for beheadings
Where the head says "How-dee-do?"

Mamushka! Mamushka! I doff my old babushka!
With a hey and a hey and a hey and a hey and a dance of brotherly love!

Just kill the Carioca, continental Susie Q!
Garrotte the old Gavotte and disembowel the Dipsy Doo!
Mamushka! Mamushka! Let's dance it like Petrushka!
With a hey and a hey and a hey and a hey and a dance of brotherly love!

Brothers! Brothers! BROTHERS!

The Brothers Karamazov, and the German Brothers Grimm,
There's Orville Wright - and Wilbur! - Orville's nothing minus him!
The Smith Brothers, and the Marx Brothers and the Ritz and the Brooks and
the Everly Brothers,
Solomon Brothers, Nicholas Brothers, Corsican Brothers...
And Doctor Joyce Brothers! Brothers!
Ringling Brothers - watch them break their back!
The Warner Brothers, Harry, Sammy, Irving, and Jack!

I know there's a host of others
I've had to neglect some brothers
Just too many names to cram, but frankly my dear - I don't give a damn!

Mamushka! Mamushka! He dances the Mamushka!
With a hey and a hey and a hey and a hey
and a hey and a hey and a hey and a hey
andaheyandaheyandaheyandaheyandaheyandaheyandaheyandahey...

WAIT!

I swear by Mommy and Daddums
This detestable Fester's the echt Fester Addams!
So... Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey!
Let's dance the dance of brotherly love!

MAMUSHKA!

It's about to come on MTV right now, of all channels.

Freakin' LOVE these movies. Wrote about it on my blog...

http://gregae.blogspot.com/2009/10/oh-horror-35-addams-family-addams.html

I re-watched both movies a few nights ago with my girl and both remain at the top of favorite movies for me. When I was a kid, I dreamed of being part of this kooky family that was created by the masterful Charles Addams and it was these two movies that cemented my love for this morbidly humorous family. The film stars the late Raul Julia as the energetic and romantic Gomez, Anjelica Huston as the vampish wife Morticia, Christopher Lloyd as the indestructible Fester, Christina Ricci as the morbidly deadpan Wednesday, Jimmy Workman as the unintelligent naive Pugsley, Judith Malina as the curse-inducing Mama in the first film and then Carol Kane in the sequel, Carel Struycken as the Frankensteinish butler Lurch, Christopher Hart as the handful Thing, and finally John Franklin as the too kool to shave Cousin Itt. Each actor perfectly brings the family to life in both movies that feature non-stop laughs ranging from disturbing actions and high morbid humor.

The first movie revolves around a plot of a greedy woman named Abigail Craven played by Elizabeth Wilson who dresses her son, Gordon, to resemble Gomez Addams long-lost brother, Fester, to steal treasure and become rich. Gordon, as Fester, slowly begins to feel more like part of the family despite at first being completely uncomfortable with their weird life-style. Morticia found no problem with finding cyanide in his suitcase, Pugsley laughs at having his arm caught in Gordon's bear trap, Thing attacks him to sleep, and Wednesday watches him from her door in a suspicious way. A huge question is constantly brought up about if Gordon is actually in fact really Fester or really an impostor. The overall plot of the movie isn't strong, but you still can't help but fall in love with the characters. They're kookier than the 60's television show (I know, as if that were possible) and their constantly one-liners are too perfect not to love.

Craven: Love/hate. Hate/love. Like for Mama, no?
Gomez: But I didn't hate my mother. It was an accident!

Morticia: Gomez.
Gomez: Querida?
Morticia: Last night you were unhinged. You were like some desperate, howling demon. You frightened me. Do it again!

A most definite favorite part of both movies are completely how into each other both Gomez and Morticia are. They're the most perfect couple I've ever seen in any movie with hardly any tension in their relationship, just complete adoration and love. The chemistry between both Huston and Julia works perfectly and are completely believable. When the two get into a scene that requires them flirting, you can't help but smile and laugh at their lines to each other. The scene when Morticia is tied up and being tortured and Gomez is speaking to her about real torture being to live without her and their theme music begins to play as they're about to kiss and are interrupted is truly hilarious and gets a chuckle out of me and people I'm watching it with every time. Lloyd does a wonderful job playing the extremely chaotic Fester and watching his love and appreciation for the family grow is a delight to see, especially when he grows especially close to Wednesday and Pugsley and teach them how to sword fight and blow up bombs and play pranks against Mama. Besides the fantastic scenes between Gomez and Morticia, it is Ricci as Wednesday that steals the show. Wednesday in the original series/cartoon/strips is a completely different character as she's more happy-go-lucky and sometimes very sad character but Ricci plays her with such deadpan humor that it's impossible not to love the ret-conned personality. Ricci's portrayal of Wednesday fits perfectly for this type of movie and it would have been extremely weird seeing a different portray than what we got.

Girl Scout: Is this made from real lemons?
Wednesday: Yes.
Girl Scout: I only like all-natural foods and beverages, organically grown, with no preservatives. Are you sure they're real lemons?
Pugsley: Yes.
Girl Scout: Well, I'll tell you what. I'll buy a cup if you buy a box of my delicious Girl Scout cookies. Do we have a deal?
Wednesday: Are they made from real Girl Scouts?

The sequel, Addams Family Values, takes place about 9 months from the last movie where Morticia reveals to Gomez that she's pregnant with a third child. When the child, Pubert, is born, Wensday and Pugsley grow highly jealous to the point where they drop him from the roof of their home and try to decapitate his head. The loving wife and husband see fit to find a nanny. After various failed attempts, they finally find just the right nanny, the white-dressed and extremely beautiful Debbie played hilariously by Joan Cusack. She seems right at home with the family as she isn't quite freaked out by their life-style and even says a few lines that fit perfectly with the Addams way of thinking. As she's introduced to the members of the household and shown through the house, she takes an interest to Fester who's extremely shy of her. As the movie progress, she tries to get close to him and they eventually get married. But during her first night at the Addams Mansion, it is revealed to us that she is actually the murderous Black Widow who marries rich men and kills then during their honeymoon, collects their money and vanishes until she's broke. Due to Debbie, the family starts to slowly deteriorate as Wednesday and Pugsley are sent to a freakishly happy summer camp that hates them and tortures them with songs, hugs, and Disney movies, Gomez seems to slowly go insane and may possible die, while their baby has transformed to a rosy cheek and blond curl baby who may fearfully become President one day.

Once again, this movie is filled with even more of the humor that's loved in the first movie:

Morticia: Oh Gomez... you still desire me after all these years? The old ball and chain?
Gomez: Forever.
Morticia: I'll get them.

And we get more laughs and destruction. And it's impossible not to fall for the adorably new-born Pubert who fits perfectly with the kooky family especially by the end of the movie as he laughs happily after causing a death of a character.

Overall, both movies are very fun and well made films. While the second film is much stronger plot-wise, I have a slightly bigger love for the first movie due to the music and editing. The soundtrack score composed by Marc Shaiman is very enticing and grasping as when the tracks from the movie play on my Media Player, I can't help but reply them over and over for a long while, my favorite piece being A Party for Me? and the Finale. Shaiman plays very well with the energetic family while adding some horror sounding music that complements the family very well. Editing-wise, a huge favorite transition of mine is the scene when Morticia and Gomez waltz for a few seconds and Morticia pulls off a sheet that then brings us to the grand ball for Fester. Beautifully well made films, both movies are directed by Barry Sonnenfeld. If you haven't seen either of these movies, you've been living under a rock and need to be stoned with that rock and enjoy it.

And major props to David Hine for making me a part of the Addams Family.

AddamsFamilywithGregbyDavidHine.jpg

Addams Family Values is one of the most underrated comedies of all time. I've seen that movie so many times over the past 16 years and still laugh at it. Christina Ricci, Christopher Loyd, Joan Cusak (MA-LI-BU BAR-BIE!=epic), Raul and Houston=WIN.

Oh and the actor and actress who play the camp counselors (forgot their names) are complete win also.

Last edited:
Morticia: Oh Gomez... you still desire me after all these years? The old ball and chain?
Gomez: Forever.
Morticia: I'll get them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"