Tim Burton Developing ‘Addams Family’ Series, 'Wednesday' Starring Jenna Ortega

The show is definitely worth checking out if you're a fan of The Addams Family. It seems to me that every incarnation of Wednesday Addams is darker than the one before. In the movies she was pretty dark, but in this show she is downright malicious. Every single thing she says is murderous and evil. Sometimes it's funny and sometimes it's just shocking. The Addams Family had always been classified as a comedy, ever since it started out in the New Yorker comics way back when. I think the family has evolved a bit. Anyway, it's worth watching the show just so you can occasionally ask yourself, Did she just say what I thought she said?

I don’t know if the show is actually any darker in humor than the original strip or 1990s movies.

I mean, don’t forget that is what the family did to Christmas carollers.

iBT54Ap.jpeg

I don't think that the show is darker, overall. I just think that Wednesday is. In her next incarnation, whenever that comes up in the future in movies or TV, I bet they just make her a serial killer.

I think a special kind of "internal logic" applies to the Addams family. Often, macabre (or downright sadistic/criminal) behaviors will be described. And it mostly seems to work as playful, dark humor. Whereas, if these same behaviors where actually depicted, they'd be horrific. :eek:

I actually thought that the Netflix show was tamer than older incarnations. In the second film, it was alluded to that Wednesday burned a girl alive, and then two adults were shown being roasted over a spit. In a revival show about 20 years ago, there was a scene where Puglsy and Wednesday were supposed to play with some other little kids and they replaced the sand on the playground with quicksand and the kids sank into it. I also still have nightmares about a scene from that show where a businessman came to visit Fester and while they were on the porch, his assistant, who was a pretty young lady, slowly sank into the porch mat, which started smoking. It happened slowly and she cried and yelled the whole way down. It was really disturbing for what was supposed to be a silly kids show. I was probably in my mid to late 20’s when I saw it and it really was messed up.

The Netflix Wednesday is more socially awkward and selfish than macabre.

I do find it noticeable who is missing in this video.

No surprise to see Jenna Ortega nominated but Best Comedy Series?

giphy.gif

Not like it matters because it won't win anyway but between that and Obi-Wan being nominated for Best Limited Series the Emmys seem like more and more of a farce every year.

I mean, the studios are always trying to game the nomination process.

my 8 year old niece LOVES this show last week when I was out of town to see The Exorcist I picked up a Wednesday Funko Pop and a T shirt of her from behind that says "On Wednesdays we wear black" she loved em!

Before production begins on the second season, the company has also started talking about another Addams Familyprogram, one built around Uncle Fester, played on the series by Fred Armisen.

As with any TV show in development, there is no guarantee the Uncle Fester show will ever happen. The writers have to figure out the story, the company needs to negotiate contracts with talent, and the schedules of the individuals must align. But Netflix is eager to establish a pipeline of Addams Family programs to build off the success of Wednesday.

It has a willing partner in Amazon, which acquired the rights to The Addams Familywhen it bought MGM and produces the show under that label.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"