The All Encompassing AQUAMAN Movie Thread - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
God what's this thread turning into? It was one of the serene places in the lounge. This is the first trailer, they'll perfect the CG. Wait till the final product to see. And talking of film physics lol it don't apply in CBM as there's no real life equivalent to it. We can only speculate and speculation is subjective.

HandmadePlainKagu-max-1mb.gif

There was no major news for this movie for awhile. For those complaining, you’ll get your quiet thread back after a couple of weeks until a new trailer comes out.

God what's this thread turning into? It was one of the serene places in the lounge. This is the first trailer, they'll perfect the CG. Wait till the final product to see. And talking of film physics lol it don't apply in CBM as there's no real life equivalent to it. We can only speculate and speculation is subjective.

If what you say is absolute fact - then perhaps it was unwise to show-out as much as they did with the very first trailer. It literally played like the last trailer you see before the release.

Eh, I'm down with the look of Atlantis underwater; I'm probably neutered to it "not coming off right" thanks to my love of sci-fi and noisy space explosions.

And honestly, the thing I'm most interested in is Patrick Wilson as Orm. I've always thought he had a more villainous acting style, and his look and manner seem like the perfect counterpoint to Mamoa's Arthur, with more pride, bearing, and an aristocratic air that nicely contrasts with Aquabro, who I love (suck it, Silver Age!) And while Manta maintains his place as the overall arch enemy, Orm's the guy who's been on the rise the last few decades as a bad guy. I mean, some people have tried to compare him to Loki, but I think he seems more like a reverse of Killmonger; someone who has a point and a birthright that could make them heroic, but their wrath so too great. And since Orm is actually the reigning king and fully enculturated Atlantean, he actually seems to have his virtues highlighted even more, since it seems he honors Arthur's right to challenge him in spite of being the villain,

I like Ocean Master and I always put him in that category of "double arch nemesis". By that I mean there are always those villains that are undeniably the hero's number one, which most people in the mass audience identify as the most "classic" enemy. But as a comic fan I can also name another enemy that on paper should be just as big if not bigger and they are often not as well known to the wider public, though thanks to the flood of adaptations that's changing.

It's like with the DC Trinity. Superman has Lex and he deserves his place but you have Brainiac and again, on paper he is the more formidable villain. Batman is always challenged by the Joker's madness and he schemes to terrorize Gotham... But he isn't a near immortal mastermind with a thousands of years old secret society backing him up with resources that rival even Bruce Wayne's billions of dollars with the added bonus of a personal connection to Batman through a daughter that's had his child. Ra's Al Ghul has all that going for him. Cheetah in various incarnations has an iconic look and always threatens Wonder Woman with her cold rage and savagery but compare that to Circe, a sorceress from the days of Ancient Greece able to call upon her own vast mystical power and knowledge as well as various magical talismans and objects.

Arthur is no different. We all know Black Manta thanks to the Superfriends and his imagery is iconic with the Vader voice and menacing costume. But Orm is no slouch and he's got the sibling rivalry thing as well as often having a legit claim to being the leader of Atlantis.

That all out there, while I am happy to see Ocean Master getting more recognition I REALLY hope that Manta is allowed to stick around and comes back for a sequel if we get one. Orm to me is important to Aquaman's origin but the constant threat to Aquaman's life and very happiness has always been Manta.

I love this about the gestalt nature of super hero stories. It's an all you can eat fantasy buffet world's, societies and settings. In Marvel you have places like the Savage Land, Wakanda, Asgard, the Blue Area of the MCU on etc. In DC you got Paradise Isle, Atlantis, Gorilla City, Nanda Parbot... So much to play with all in the same world. And honestly, there is really never a reason to justify it all. It just is. Aliens, cyborgs, Mutants, vampires, ancient gods, mythical creatures, folklore and more all coexisting. You can't get that outside of super hero stuff.

If we were looking at things the way they look underwater, we wouldn't be able to see them clearly at all. There’s going to have to be an artificial light source (which the film does seem to feature in several sequences), a lack of debris floating around everywhere, etc. This is a film, there's going to have to be some accounting for that.

Us being able to hear dialogue clearly is probably representational. It's possible Atlanteans simply translate underwater sounds somehow and hear in a way that we would perceive as normal sound.

As for the Atlanteans themselves, you can see that they swim ridiculously well, which human beings could not mimic. They've got some kind of evolutionary advantage there, perhaps even a form of telekinesis.

I very much doubt they put no thought into the underwater physics, and that whatever they're using to render this stuff won't take that into account.

You can see that they’re aware of the hair issue, because many of the spectators in Atlantis have corn rows, shorter hair, etc. For all we know, there's a shot where the camera zooms in and we see small hairs gently waving in the water. I don’t think the Atlantean hair gel thing is far off. If your goal is to keep your hair perfect, there must be some mechanism for that down there with the pressures at those levels.

Beyond that, you can see that capes are floating…that kind of thing goes a long way toward suspension of disbelief. You can also see that the sea dragons and other sea creatures have waving or rippling fins.

Us being able to hear dialogue clearly is probably representational. It's possible Atlanteans simply translate underwater sounds somehow and hear in a way that we would perceive as normal sound.

Except lip reading shows otherwise.

Aquaman's short cameo in BvS was filmed underwater and people complained that Aquaman was obviously holding his breath. It seems like a no win scenario. If Wan decided to film a good deal of his scenes underwater than he would get the same complaint that BvS got.

Continuing off of this. People complained about Aquaman and Mera needing an air bubble to talk in Justice League. Wan said that there wouldn't be any bubbles in Aquaman and there are still complaints.

Last edited:
Most of these complaints are pretty silly. A realistic underwater movie would be straight up unwatchable. What we're seeing is at least cinematic. As long as consistency is maintained within the movie and series, there should be no problem.

Continuing off of this, People complained about Aquaman and Mera needing an air bubble to talk in Justice League. Wan said that there wouldn't be any bubbles in Aquaman and there are still complaints.

Lol, was there no communication between Wan and Snyder? Just embarrassing.

I know people said there is mention in this movie that dictates its post JL.

But what if it was taken out and we can watch this after WW and before JL.

Watching this and then watch JL could add more depth in Aquaman in JL making JL a little better film....hmmmm...I wonder.

Lol, was there no communication between Wan and Snyder? Just embarrassing.

There are reasons Mera created the bubble such as not letting the other Atlantean guards know who Arthur was, someone who is a threat to Orm's legitimacy as King. Also that scene that actually got in the film was likely not shot by Snyder but Whedon.

Watching this and then watch JL could add more depth in Aquaman in JL making JL a little better film....hmmmm...I wonder.

If Arthur takes the throne as seems likely then it makes no sense that he's not there ruling Atlantis in JL or that he sneaks back there or that he didn't marshal the forces of Atlantis to help out. Also we see some pretty big things that would be known events like the tidal wave or an attack on a ship by the Trenchers. Arthur when found by Bruce is living a low key existence. So I don't see how you can place the events of this movie before JL.

Sounds like a longshot

:sly:

There are probably origin elements in AQUAMAN that once you see them will flesh out a few of his conflicts in JUSTICE LEAGUE. I don't know that its utterly neccessary to know him fully to appreciate his role in JL, as he's intended to be something of a mystery there anyway. He was a supporting character in JUSTICE LEAGUE and had about as much development as would be required for a moderate role in the story.

"A war is coming to the surface and I am bringing the wrath of the Seven Seas with me"

Orm just sounds so convincing when he says it because Orm has a real hatred for humans and his brother Arthur is half-human. Deep down Orm hates Arthur because of the fact that their mother Atlanna slept with Arthur's father and had a child with him a human man, a man who I am sure is the great love of Atlanna's life while Orm's father an Atlantean king she didn't really love.

Seeing Black Manta up close and in action in costume in the trailer; probably one of the more menacing villains in the DCEU as of late

for those complaining that they didn't shoot the whole thing underwater : you're asking way too much. not only would it be far too expensive and problematic for giving direction not to mention how would you talk...but it would be too dangerous. there's so many things water does to your skin over time. pruning then cracking then you're open to infection. it just isn't possible.

Anyone complaining and wanting an entire film shot under water because it takes place under water should complain about films set in outer space not being shot in outer space lol.

Aquaman's short cameo in BvS was filmed underwater and people complained that Aquaman was obviously holding his breath. It seems like a no win scenario. If Wan decided to film a good deal of his scenes underwater than he would get the same complaint that BvS got.

I don't think anyone ever said that, certainly not me. Because as Guts said, it just looked silly and unlike a superhero who calls the oceans home. But more effort should've been put into the VFX so it's not so blatantly obvious that it was shot on a dry soundstage.

I honestly can't tell anymore if certain posters are strawmanning or simply don't take the time to digest what they read before typing out a dismissive retort. There's a lot of weaseling and lame excuses going on for why this trailer was less than stellar.

Last edited:
I think what looks cheap is not the underwater stuff so much ais some of the costume and cinematography choices for the land scenes, like Arthur talking to Mera on the pier, teen Arthur catching the trident, Arthur evading Black Manta’s attack, etc.

I gotta say though, regardless of how I feel about some of the visuals, I think I’m really starting to feel like Momoa can carry this thing.

Happy Momoa is pretty infectious and adding his surfer bro personality to Arthur is way more interesting and less generic than other versions of the character I’ve seen recently, especially for a pre-king Arthur.

I felt this way since Justice League, but I feel it even more so now.

Last edited:
If we were looking at things the way they look underwater, we wouldn't be able to see them clearly at all. There’s going to have to be an artificial light source (which the film does seem to feature in several sequences), a lack of debris floating around everywhere, etc. This is a film, there's going to have to be some accounting for that.

Wouldn't the same hold true for their vision as well as their hearing? That they are used to low light levels and can see in the dark and murk better than we can?
Also I thought when they first announced it that talking underwater would be a problem. And I thought their telepathic abilities would be a way around that. But it seems that isn't the way Wan wanted to do it. Either way it works unless someone is just looking for a nit to pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"