The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
if S6 kicked ass and the end credits finished with the legend 'Sinester 6 will return in ASM3' it's anyone's guess if the GA's response is 'yes' or 'meh'.

I'd bet more people in the GA would roll their eyes sardonically then be genuinely excited.

Last edited:
Spider-Man has never been a core or pivotal member of The Avengers. He's more like a special guest star and even then it's how he reacts in relation to Steve and Tony that's the usually the main focus.

Was never a Avengers guy, but the reason I bought 'Breakout' was Spider-Man officially joined the Avengers. Breakout did huge numbers (relatively speaking), dollars to donuts Spidey was responsible for the sales spike. Obviously now the Avengers comics are successful due to the movie.

Different creative heads and company objectives as regards animation and film. Jeph Loeb is not Kevin Feige. Loeb also pulled Earth's Mightiest Heroes for a dumbed down less popular version - Avengers Assemble - to sell more toys.

And Webb is no Greg Wiesman.

if S6 kicked ass and the end credits finished with the legend 'Sinester 6 will return in ASM3' it's anyone's guess if the GA's response is 'yes' or 'meh'.

I really don't see The Amazing Spider-Man 3: Even More Villains setting the box office on fire.

I really don't see The Amazing Spider-Man 3: Even More Villains setting the box office on fire.

It's not the quantity that hurt TASM 2, it's the quality of those villains. Electro was weak, Goblin was shoe-horned into the end just to kill Gwen, Rhino was the only thing they did right as far as villains goes, IMO. I'd rather they teased Goblin then have him in there to fight Spidey for 15 seconds then get knocked out.

I find it ironic that the same approach that they have been taking with these films thats causing the fallout is the same approach some of you want with future Spidey films. I just don't understand it all.

The thing is, Disney cares more about hurting Sony than helping themselves. So they probably wouldn't pay Sony so use Spider-Man because both would benefit, not just Disney.

Very true. Disney does not need Spidey on screen. They are arguably the biggest brand in Hollywood at the moment and have turned franchises like Iron Man and Cap into properties that have left Spider-Man in the dust. Not just in quality or growing success, but in reputation. Look at the gain from Cap 1 to the Winter Soldier, that's franchise building at it's finest. The differences between TASM and TASM 2 show a studio without a strong vision or conviction. It's why the franchise is one film away from complete irrelevancy.and has marginal traction at best going forward.

I think it would be smart for Sony not to sell Spider-Man outright to Marvel, but to sell the license to him for a one-off Avengers appearance or something. Raise the awareness/cool factor of your series by showing him with the other Marvel heavy weights, and then benefit from the Avengers boost. Financially, that would be best idea for Sony. This way, they can keep making money off Spider-Man films. If they sold him, they'd make a large chunk at one time and then would make no future profit. That being said, if Sony wanted to do that, they need to deliver higher quality.

Like I said, when SM3 came out, everyone wanted to see this with me. I ended up seeing it 5 times because it felt like everyone in the world wanted to see it with their amazing best bud Spider-Fan. This movie, I saw it once and likely won't again. My family/friends don't care about these films like they did the prior ones. My brother, who is in England currently and loves comics as much as me, has yet to see this, and we discuss all these movies. Yet, he hasn't seen it yet. I'm not saying this in order to prove the last series was better. This is just illustrating to me that the enthusiasm for the character himself just isn't currently there. Sony needs to get that enthusiasm they squandered with SM3 onward back.

I can't see Marvel making a deal to bring Spidey into the Avengers, at least before 2021. With the "Big Three" intact for at least two films, billion dollar grosses are all but guaranteed for the franchise.

Now the stars of the Marvel's Netflix Defenders series teaming up with Spidey to take on the Sinister Six on the big screen? That makes an awful lot of sense for both Marvel and Sony.

I can't see Marvel making a deal to bring Spidey into the Avengers, at least before 2021. With the "Big Three" intact for at least two films, billion dollar grosses are all but guaranteed for the franchise.

Now the stars of the Marvel's Netflix Defenders series teaming up with Spidey to take on the Sinister Six on the big screen? That makes an awful lot of sense for both Marvel and Sony.

I don't think it does. To Sony, Spider-Man is one of Marvel's top characters. Being pushed to star with TV characters I think Sony will see as being below Spider-Man, even though for 90% of Spidey's history he has mostly fought more "petty" super-villains collectively in his rogues gallery. But, you can't ignore that Spidey draws like a top character, even if he doesn't operate on a national/galactic level.

Storywise, that would make sense. BO wise, it makes less sense.

Is SONY allowed to do a Spiderman TV series under the deal? That might be an option to temporailly not do flms but TV instead.

No they are not. Marvel has TV rights to Spider-Man, Sony only has the movie rights. That's why Marvel is in charge of the currently running cartoons.

No they are not. Marvel has TV rights to Spider-Man, Sony only has the movie rights. That's why Marvel is in charge of the currently running cartoons.

Then they need a catch for the next one. Something not done on film before. My idea would be a two-film Death of Spiderman. Kille off at the end of 3 and resolved in 4. That is something not yet seen in film. SONY needs to think out of the box on this.

Marvel isn't making any deal with them unless it involves getting the property back in its entirety. They could care less about using Spidey in Avengers or allowing Sony to use any of their other characters. Its not gonna happen. Marvel see blood with Sony and Fox regarding Spidey and FF and they will wait it out.

Then they need a catch for the next one. Something not done on film before. My idea would be a two-film Death of Spiderman. Kille off at the end of 3 and resolved in 4. That is something not yet seen in film. SONY needs to think out of the box on this.

So, we end TASM with the Death of Capt Stacy. TASM2 with the death of Gwen Stacy, and TASM3 with the death of Spider-Man?

Meh. Not all that original. He or Aunt May is next logical killing step at this point.

So, we end TASM with the Death of Capt Stacy. TASM2 with the death of Gwen Stacy, and TASM3 with the death of Spider-Man?

Meh. Not all that original. He or Aunt May is next logical killing step at this point.

Killing off the superhero is totally different.

Not done yet but there are rumors around another upcoming superhero film.

Some studio will do it and really it can only be done once. The novelty factor won't be the same.

I really rather no one die in the next one. It should be about him grieving Gwen.

I don't think it does. To Sony, Spider-Man is one of Marvel's top characters. Being pushed to star with TV characters I think Sony will see as being below Spider-Man, even though for 90% of Spidey's history he has mostly fought more "petty" super-villains collectively in his rogues gallery. But, you can't ignore that Spidey draws like a top character, even if he doesn't operate on a national/galactic level.

Storywise, that would make sense. BO wise, it makes less sense.

Maybe. But the producers are determined for Spidey to remain the "star" in any potential interactions with Marvel characters. While he would be just another teammate in an Avengers crossover, he could lead the Netflix Defenders characters if they made the jump to the big screen.

And while the Marvel street-level characters are not huge names now, Marvel has a history of elevating "B" and "C" list characters to the big leagues through their films. I'm pretty certain that multiple series and a crossover miniseries could have a similar effect on Daredevil, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones and Iron Fist.

Some studio will do it and really it can only be done once. The novelty factor won't be the same.

We already have had this suggestion made 100 times in the Cap forum. Not really original because many heroes can do this whole passing of the mantle upon death thing.

Yeah......Look at all the death we have seen. Peter's parents and their violent death in flashback. We know they were murdered now. Uncle Ben killed being a hero while his killer roams free. Capn Stacy killed in action and now his daughter dead as well. We get to see the return of her killer get revenge on Peter.

Don't know what the hell they are doing with Norman. Cyborg maybe?

Since Harry knows Peter is Spidey they can just pay Aunt May a visit at the hospital.

Maybe. But the producers are determined for Spidey to remain the "star" in any potential interactions with Marvel characters. While he would be just another teammate in an Avengers crossover, he could lead the Netflix Defenders characters if they made the jump to the big screen.

And while the Marvel street-level characters are not huge names now, Marvel has a history of elevating "B" and "C" list characters to the big leagues through their films. I'm pretty certain that multiple series and a crossover miniseries could have a similar effect on Daredevil, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones and Iron Fist.

Sony wants Avengers money. Not Defenders money.

I thought Nolan did it with Batman?

Disney at this point, doesn't NEED Spider-Man in the MCU. A quality Avengers movie with spider-man in it will not generate significantly more money than a quality Avengers movie without him. The Avengers has turned Iron Man, Thor, Cap, and possibly Black Widow into individual film franchises on par with Spider-man, Batman, and Superman. If Avengers 2 is successful, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch will join that group too.

Disney is in a position of power now where it would make no sense to give Sony a single cent to get the film rights back for spider-man, at the rate Sony is going, they will run the spider-man film series into the ground before that happens.

Marvel isn't making any deal with them unless it involves getting the property back in its entirety. They could care less about using Spidey in Avengers or allowing Sony to use any of their other characters. Its not gonna happen. Marvel see blood with Sony and Fox regarding Spidey and FF and they will wait it out.

Spidey is in a completely different situation than either the X-Men or the FF. Due to contracts signed back in the 1990s, Disney is making next to nothing on the FOX films. And since neither property moves merchandise, both character families are practically worthless to the Mouse so long as the film rights reside elsewhere.

Spider-Man is an extremely profitable character for Disney/Marvel, the #1 superhero in the world in terms of licensing fees. Go to the Disney Website - despite the film rights residing at Sony he is given equal standing to the Avengers characters. Disney/Marvel would love to regain the film rights, but having the character's popularity fade through poorly made Sony films is bad business for Disney. Disney likely could care less if the X-Men or FF film crash and burn - not so for Spider-Man.

To get some numbers back in this thread...Tuesday brought in 2.904M (+29%).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"