The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 77

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes they can use Kingpin. They share the character with Marvel.

kanyedisbelief.gif

But... It does. :)

Naaaaaw... Thought Sony had the Kingpin?

Um aren't we at a 54% on RT which is the lowest Spidey film.

Well the RT ranking (which is more critic based) is as follows

1) Spider-man 2 (94%)
2) Spider-man (89%)
3) The Amazing Spider-man (73%)
4) Spider-man 3 (63%)
5) The Amazing Spider-man 2 (54%)

While Flixter (which is more general audience) is as follows

1) Spider-man 2 (81%)
2) The Amazing Spider-man (78%)
3) The Amazing Spider-man 2 (75%)
4) Spider-man (67%)
5) Spider-Man 3 (51%)

I tend to agree with flixter's ratings more because RT for the fact its more general audience based and RT tends to be "initial reaction" based rather than "test of time" based

[YT]9ysR1_Vp11k[/YT](9:10)
while seeing Rob Walker´s and Jeremy´s argument here i have to agree with them you DON´T shoehorn Spider-man´s biggest nemesis at the end of the movie!, Rob said it best GG before the big scene(you know whay i mean) fought spider-man before,he did horrible things before and knew spider-man, so when THAT happens it has MORE impact than it should here, that´s why i feel, yeah GG was wasted horribly here...

Last edited:
Woah, didn't notice I made it into your sig, Miles.

One was mishandled. One popped up at the end for 5 minutes. The other was nothing more than a cameo.

Webb proved nothing when it comes to villians.

I'll watch his Peter/Gwen scenes all days... but his villians are awful.

Exactly. If anything he re-enforced that some directors cannot handle multiple villains.

I always thought it weird with the technology of today that Sony has not used one of the villains that I associate giving Spidey the most trouble. Heck, Kingpin wins half the time. Plus if they can make Skinny Steve (Cap 1) They can make an intimidating Kingpin.

At least Webb proved that 3 villains can work on a Spider-man film and not turn the film into the **** fest that Spider-man 3 was.

I'm not so sure about that...I felt like the villains suffered because there wasn't enough screen-time and story devoted to their origins. Basically, what happened to Spider-Man 3.

Exactly. If anything he re-enforced that some directors cannot handle multiple villains.

No one is reinforcing anything besides personal opinions.

I think Webb showed how you DO Handle multiple villains. 1 has to be very minor, while the others need a connection that makes sense. It can't be a random "hi how are you, kill kill kill" like spidey 3 was...

Once again... Webb's Spider-Man movie has divided people.

It's TASM all over again but this time, I'm active.

I always thought it weird with the technology of today that Sony has not used one of the villains that I associate giving Spidey the most trouble. Heck, Kingpin wins half the time. Plus if they can make Skinny Steve (Cap 1) They can make an intimidating Kingpin.

Kingpin, seems a villain that works best on paper- if we're talking the ridiculously proportioned "comic accurate" version.

Otherwise, someone like Michael Clarke Duncan works just fine (with a better script of course, though I thought he did great with what he had).

If the villains were as awful as you say, then i think that the film would get more negative reviews, especially from the fans. If you visit the poll thread you will see that most people gave the film an 8 or a 9. That means that the villains also worked. From what i gathered the villains didn't overstuff the plot. The parents's storyline did.

If you look at the rating thread for Spider-Man 3 here from back in the day, it had 1190 ratings, and over 868 of them gave it a 7 or higher:

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=270765

The shine will soon wear off for some of those who vote it highly I think, just like it did for the high SM-3 votes.

And the popular opinion is the movie was too crowded. That is the general consensus. So to suggest Webb succeeded with the multiple villains is a fallacy since most people were not satisfied.

I think Webb showed how you DO Handle multiple villains. 1 has to be very minor, while the others need a connection that makes sense. It can't be a random "hi how are you, kill kill kill" like spidey 3 was...

That's a fallacy, too. Harry wanted to kill him for revenge for his father. Sandman wanted to kill him because he tried to kill him first. Venom wanted to kill him because he had him humiliated and fired. It was not just random kill kill kill. All the villains were established with solid motivations, in Harry's case he's been developed since the first movie. Something no villain in TASM 2 can claim.

But all three of them were rush jobs. Oh look here's Harry, he's best friends with Peter, he needs his blood but Spidey says no, KILL HIM!!!. Oh look here's Max Dillon, he met Spidey for 20 seconds but he loves him now, oh wait Spidey forgot his name...KILL HIM!!!! Look there's Aleksi the Russian mercenary, Spidey caught him in the middle of heist, give him a Rhino suit and KILL SPIDEY!!!

That is the guidebook on how to not do multiple villains. It was all a rush job to set up the Sinister Six.

Last edited:

The issue seems to be time constraints needed to develop these characters in a satisfying way. With two high stakes villains like Electro and GG (complete with origins) vying for screen time, someone's going to be shortchanged somewhere.

Also, Spidey 3 had 3 main villains (as opposed to the two in TASM2) all vying for screen time and yes, they were all shortchanged as well.

there more i think about it, the more i regret that GG was here as a side villain instead of the MAIN villain (yeah, i am looking at you Delectro)

Kingpin, seems a villain that works best on paper- if we're talking the ridiculously proportioned "comic accurate" version.

Otherwise, someone like Michael Clarke Duncan works just fine (with a better script of course, though I thought he did great with what he had).

I didn't like Duncan, love the actor didn't think he was right for the role. Then again maybe Kingpin is the mastermind behind the S6. Isn't the character tied to Felicia Hardy?

I thought this was actually really good, yeah it didn't have solid plot outside of the Peter/Gwen relationship but had the best action, Spidey-talk, acting, and relationship stuff ever for Peter/Spider-Man.

Weakest was Max's bi-polar psychotic break. And, Harry was too forced but villains are just a weak thing for Spidey movies/comics most of the time anyways.

Biggest thing I'll be missing is their chemistry. You could see Andrew using real-life feeling for Emma in the end there.

there more i think about it, the more i regret that GG was here as a side villain instead of the MAIN villain (yeah, i am looking at you Delectro)

I think this could have been a really strong, compelling film if they'd excised Electro completely and given the time and space necessary to really develop Harry. Could have been epic rather than just serviceable...

I didn't like Duncan, love the actor didn't think he was right for the role. Then again maybe Kingpin is the mastermind behind the S6. Isn't the character tied to Felicia Hardy?

Eh, I thought he had the commanding presence and muscle that stayed true to the spirit of the character without turning him into a cartoon (which CGI enhancement surely would). Too bad we didn't get to see Fisk's mastermind side (poor script).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"