The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS! - Part 5

Haha ok chief, I have no problems with people's reviews and opinions. I've said this multiple times. I was sad to hear that Spider-fan overall didn't enjoy the film and we were having a good discussion. And joking around here and there. But the constant comparing to the raimi films, it's just way overdone and unnecessary. So yeah, thanks for a pointless post.

I don't like the constant comparisons, either. But, when the series is as divisive as this one so far has been, it is hard to avoid it at the same time. People are always going to compare it to what came before. The only reason you don't really see anything like that with Batman anymore was TDK. People loved it so much, most just didn't compare it to Burton cause that was mostly more liked. Post-BB, comparisons to Burton were more common. This movie didn't TDK for Spider-Man, so these will continue.

LOL with 3rd movie fail curse on the horizon. They better get there **** in check. There losing a successful onscreen relationship that was one of the major positives of these films. Tough times ahead especially for MJ.

I don't like the constant comparisons, either. But, when the series is as divisive as this one so far has been, it is hard to avoid it at the same time. People are always going to compare it to what came before. The only reason you don't really see anything like that with Batman anymore was TDK. People loved it so much, most just didn't compare it to Burton cause that was mostly more liked. Post-BB, comparisons to Burton were more common. This movie didn't TDK for Spider-Man, so these will continue.
Plus, the Nolan films are completely distinct from Burton's in tone, imagery, and sound. The Webb films, especially TASM2 with its seeming silliness, doesn't look or feel that far from Raimi's.

Maybe I was a little harsh on ASM because the whole concept of redoing the origin naturally drew comparisons to the Raimi films. Perhaps I would have liked it better had there never been prior Spider-Man films. Unfortunately, I'll never have the luxury of knowing.

ASM2 is just a terrible film. It would have sucked even if the Raimi films never existed.

LOL with 3rd movie fail curse on the horizon. They better get there **** in check. There losing a successful onscreen relationship that was one of the major positives of these films. Tough times ahead especially for MJ.

My next question is, how in the world are they going to justifiably bring MJ to the big screen after everyone Peter has lost in the last two movies? He's lost two mentors and his SO to death, and his best friend to...insanity or whatever you'd like to call it.

The guy should be in a perpetual state of grief for the foreseeable future.

He got over it at the ending montage, don't you remember? What could've been the foundation for good drama for part 3 is essentially skimmed over. Now they can focus on more terrible villains.

I think SONY just, in general, with the obvious exception of one scene, went too "safe" with the movie. Perhaps due to their financial situation.

Someone up the ladder listened to people whining about how THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN was too serious, yadda yadda, and this is what we got in response.

I think a lot of people are going to reassess the first film.

My next question is, how in the world are they going to justifiably bring MJ to the big screen after everyone Peter has lost in the last two movies? He's lost two mentors and his SO to death, and his best friend to...insanity or whatever you'd like to call it.

The guy should be in a perpetual state of grief for the foreseeable future.

Agreed, he should be in rehab really . Some guys have said that MJ should be more of a friend to Pete instead of a lover which i think is the way to go. I can imagine a scene when he starts talking to Mj , Gwen's ghost is in background looking on in disgust lol

Whoa lol I'd say we've reached worst case scenario here people. Damn. Sony better be scrambling at this point, because the next film is going to have be something pretty attention grabbing to put Spidey back on top, or at least closer to the top.

Yes, because one guys opinion on a message board is enough to get Sony in a tizzy.

Give me a break.

"HEY GUYS! THIS ONE DUDE ON SOME MESSAGE BOARD SAID OUR MOVIE WAS AGGRESSIVELY STUPID! WE'RE F--KED!!!

He got over it at the ending montage, don't you remember? What could've been the foundation for good drama for part 3 is essentially skimmed over. Now they can focus on more terrible villains.

What made you think he's over Gwen? He listened to Gwen's speech which motivated him and made him realize he has to go on no matter what. Even if his girlfriend died. I never once thought, oh man. He's already over Gwen.

Black Cat could be the next love interest you know, or Betty. I don't think him and MJ will hit it off immediately. Is there a ASM3 thread or what would you like to see next thread yet?

Pretty sure Black Cat will be Harry's love interest, and interested in Spider-Man, not necessarily Peter Parker.

Mary Jane is going to further develop the whole "responsibility before a normal life" theme that has permeated the Spider-Man mythos. They'll probably play with the secret identity thing a lot longer with MJ than they did with Gwen. He's got some serious issues now.

Yes, because one guys opinion on a message board is enough to get Sony in a tizzy.

Give me a break.

"HEY GUYS! THIS ONE DUDE ON SOME MESSAGE BOARD SAID OUR MOVIE WAS AGGRESSIVELY STUPID! WE'RE F--KED!!!

Hahaha exactly. Two posters say they love the source material and basically say Webb has killed spiderman for them. Once again people overreacting as if it's the end of the world. The comics are still there to read. Oh no sony is scrambling now to please them! :oldrazz::o

I don't get the hate for this movie at all. Amazing action and good emotional drama. It didn't feel bloated at all with 2 major villains and one cameo villain. My girlfriend was shocked when Gwen died and so was I even though I knew it was coming. They way it was portrayed was just brutal with the head hitting. It had more impact than Rachel Dawes dying, that's for sure. Probably the most impactful death of a love interest in a CBM as far as I'm concerned.

Whoa lol I'd say we've reached worst case scenario here people. Damn. Sony better be scrambling at this point, because the next film is going to have be something pretty attention grabbing to put Spidey back on top, or at least closer to the top.

For TASM3, Sony needs to boot:

- Producer Avi Arad
- Screenwriters Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman & Jeff Pinkner

I personally think Webb had less creative input than Raimi did or because the late producer Laura Ziskin (R.I.P.) isn't here to smooth things over.

For TASM3, Sony needs to boot:

- Producer Avi Arad
- Screenwriters Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman & Jeff Pinkner

I personally think Webb had less creative input than Raimi did or because the late producer Laura Ziskin (R.I.P.) isn't here to smooth things over.

yeah, you can see that IMHO Marc did the best he could with the script given, maybe they picked an unexperienced director with talent but can´t fight back with studio request or maybe can´t make his saying count

yeah, you can see that IMHO Marc did the best he could with the script given, maybe they picked an unexperienced director with talent but can´t fight back with studio request or maybe can´t make his saying count

S**t... That actually kinda makes sense.

Scary.

I finally got to go to see the movie at 6:00 pm (I don't if the girl liked me or felt sorry for me but she give me a cheaper ticket when I didn't have that much money to get into the theaters) When I was watching this movie I shouldn't have watched as many clips and trailers as I did, I was worried when I heard all the reviews saying this was the Batman and Robin of Spider-Man films and the worst thing to happen, to say the least, I do know that the over promotion and revealing to much hurt it a lot and a lot of things shouldn't been shown(At most just Electro shots and some Oscorp mystery and conspiracy and Peter and Gwen and just that). I told the two friends that I went with that this could be the best film you've ever seen or the worst, just be cautious and keep an open mind. They both ended up agreed it's pretty good movie and didn't felt but one friend felt it was too long(Especially since he had somewhere to be after), except for some scenes at the beginning it didn't feel that long to me personally.

Honestly I would simply recommend this people to watch with their friends or family and make the choice for whether it's a good movie or not. I give this movie an 8 out of 10.

Maybe I was a little harsh on ASM because the whole concept of redoing the origin naturally drew comparisons to the Raimi films. Perhaps I would have liked it better had there never been prior Spider-Man films. Unfortunately, I'll never have the luxury of knowing.

ASM2 is just a terrible film. It would have sucked even if the Raimi films never existed.

Agreed. If I had no Raimi films, my views on these films would be the same, in all honesty. Same flaws exist, Raimi or no Raimi.

I think SONY just, in general, with the obvious exception of one scene, went too "safe" with the movie. Perhaps due to their financial situation.

Someone up the ladder listened to people whining about how THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN was too serious, yadda yadda, and this is what we got in response.

I think a lot of people are going to reassess the first film.

I don't think so. I thought TASM was better than TASM2, but the fact TASM was better doesn't make me like it anymore. The same problems still exist.

ASM2 gave me likeable engaging characters, so when those characters were put in peril it was the most engaged I've been in years. I'm into characters so if the characters engage me I can forgive pacing problems. Better that than a better constructed story but characters that leave me completely cold which happens far too often when I watch superhero movies these days.

Spider-Man/Peter Parker - I said it before and I say it again, Andrew Garfield is a perfect live action representation of who Spider-Man is as a character. I enjoyed the montage of Peter's day to day life as Spider-Man was something I enjoyed(I think a lot of the people of the audience thought it was great as well), I like how Mark captured his casual day to day life perfectly but I do wish we saw more of Andrew and Emma interacting with more students on screen because it seemed like Emma had her own little groups of friends and helping others(Midtown High School or Empire State University) or Peter interact with J Jonah Jameson and the Daily Bugle cast or Horizon Labs, hopefully in future moments. I like how they handled Peter's dealing with Uncle Ben in the first movie, but they should have had Peter talk about it a little more without it feeling like Aunt May was the only one who cares, I like that they had Peter guilt about 3 important people in his life for different reasons, but yeah it felt weird that Peter didn't discuss about how he felt about Ben's death and where he was in searching for the killer. He has to deal with the guilt although I understand I was afraid that they would do a disservice Peter's intelligence and make Gwen the brains and Peter dumb but it was pretty decent handling of his intelligence (return of the electronic lock, the you tube was kind of weird but I like him trying to rework his webbing and trying different methods but mad it took Gwen using 8th grade science to help, him trying different ways to protect the webbing from electricity although I enjoyed figuring out how to take down Electro and take charge on using the power plants in order to overload him which Gwen show she was useful and knows herself but I do think showing him create webbing of his own based on his dad's research and making modifications on it or trying to create things like spider tracers and spider signal and figuring out how it can help him out as Spider-Man) but I wish they did more with it and I do think they should and I enjoyed the second in his. He is one of my favorite comic book superhero actors and is interesting on his own way. You can feel he put his all as Spider-Man and almost the same as Peter, maybe you can have a little clueless when he was crossing the street but I like him being a more confident character as Peter while still being slightly awkward. I enjoyed Andrew's portrayal of the first Amazing Spider-Man movie, but this is definitely leagues ahead of that and felt like a live action version of two of my favorite animated Peter Parker/Spider-Man: Neil Patrick Harris and Josh Keaton and a live action representation of the Spider-Man in the comics JMS, Brian Michael Bendis, Dan Slott, Mark Waid, among other modern writers as well as Stan Lee wrote. The audience was really enjoying him and I did too.

Gwen - people complained that Gwen's character arc was kind of different that how the comics. I think while Gwen in the first movie helping Spider-Man out and being a smart character and some of who she is as a character in little scenes like the bleacher scene and cleaning up Peter's wounds she was just ultimately an extension of Peter's character they actually gave her more motivation and things to do in this movie which helps she does her own things, have her own group of friends and interests, etc. but to be fair although it is unfaithful to the original comics handled Gwen's death, it is faithful to Emma Stone Gwen's character Peter was debating whether to keep her in his life or not (while it did seem kind of annoying at times it's worked to me). She was someone who thought of helping Peter out first before even worried about her own risk, even in the first movie so it doesn't make sense or is fair to complain how Gwen despite her dad or Spider-Man wanted to keep her safe, the audience didn't seem confused on how she died, but it worked and it got an effect. In this regard I would say she is very similar to Ultimate MJ who did the same things to help Spider-Man a few things, I thought Gwen is a combination of a few versions of Gwen Stacy and Ultimate MJ.

It was crushing to see Peter having to look at the Stacy family and how they are destroyed by the lost that he couldn't even go up to them. Emma and Andrew was the best part of this movie hands down. From the scene where the death actually happen until the Harry and Gustav Fiers scene, the whole audience were deathly quiet the moment it happened, I think we all did one collective gasp before it got silence. I even had to hold in coughs. I thought it also showed how he couldn't even go to comfort the Stacy family but stayed at the Gwen's cemetery which helped and a nice touch. I wished they kept the aftermath of the Goblin/Spidey fight before they arrest Harry. I don't think it was totally unfaithful to the storyline or even the moment itself, I think if Mark Webb did one thing right it was death scene because the quickness and shock of it, with Andrew trying to convince himself she was okay, before begging her to be alright. It might have or might not have worked if Spider-Man was more cocky about he is a hero because the reaction of the audience in my theater alone it worked in the long run. He wants to keep Gwen in his life, but he feels guilt for breaking the promise which tears him apart before denies. It was a memorable death in the comics because no one expected it. After many of tributes and recreations in various forms of media(three time in the nineties cartoon, Raimi film and the Ultimate Spider-Man comics among other with either Gwen or MJ) this CANNOT be done in a movie now because ever since they included Gwen in the first movie of this series fans have been constantly writing articles and making videos stating that not only does Gwen Stacy die in the original Spider-Man story but that she must die in this movie series. This went even as far as asking the filmmakers directly about it. It was repeated so many times that people who were not familiar with the comics suddenly became aware about this in regards to Gwen. You can't make something a surprise when fans have been posting the spoilers of her fate since even before the first movie premiered.

As for Peter having no part in this event, Peter was the one that wrote the "I Love You" message to Gwen on the bridge and scooped her up so that he can be with her AFTER she was the one who left a message to him telling him she is leaving him. This is why Gwen followed Peter because Peter went out of his way to get her back. Had Peter let Gwen leave to England then she would've still been alive, or let her go at the beginning maybe she would have lived. This is probably what the third movie will deal with like how this movie dealt with Peter facing the guilt of George Stacy's promise. They made they made "time" a big theme in the movie. The time people spend together, the choices they make of what to do with their time. I think they connected everything very well: Richard Parker's watch, Gwen Stacy's speech about time and in the end, when Spider-Man was literally fighting against time (the watch that cut the web, resulting in Gwen's death). She probably would have still been alive if Peter just sent her a text to hope she can find happiness in England. Peter felt guilt for just letting Gwen get on with her advice. May and Gwen in her valedictorian speech wanted Peter to live life to the fullest and not let death keep you from living, just incorporate it into your life. It worked in the context of the movie.

Aunt May - I only have three favorite types of Aunt May: Ultimate/ Brian Michael Bendis Aunt May(the younger tough mother figure who doesn't play and always worried about Peter but at the same time has soft caring mother figure and has a job of her own and be her own character instead of just being a doting overprotective mother figure and felt like she can hold her own like shooting Electro in Death of Spider-Man or threatening Eddie Brock jr in War of the Symbiotes), TSSM Aunt(A perfect meld of Ultimate, 616 or the Raimi films) and JMS Aunt May and Sally Field's interpretation reminded me of those three in a lot of ways. Sally Field brought a new life to Aunt May. I like how she gave a lesson without resorting to monologue/speeches when trying to get Peter out of his funk like the last scene between Peter and May where she says simply saying "The heavier the box got, the lighter I felt" before he watches Gwen's graduation speech, I enjoyed her trying to help out around the hospital(I thought there would be a scene of her scolding someone and putting him or her in their place acting up in the hospital and I would have honestly enjoyed that). Sally Field might be my favorite actresses to ever portray May Parker. Her scenes with were always a joy to watch and her interactions with Peter was fun (laundry sheriff, the chimney scene, not wanting to reveal the truth about Peter's parents but Peter comforting her telling her she's his everything, etc) . I like the little twist of her trying to hide the fact that she was taking nursing classes in fear for fragile Peter. I do think we should have had a Uncle Ben Flashback on Peter's part. She felt like she did more to do than the previous movie and felt more fleshed out in this movie as well which is a huge plus to me.

Electro - Visually he was exciting to watch in, power wise he is probably the most dangerous and powerful out of all 9 of the villains in the Spider-Man films and I'm glad that we got to see them use the Ultimate look instead of the 616 look in this case because of half of the things he did like when he was reacting to Kafka's experimentation or when he was angry or charging up (Sad they cut out parts of the time square in the Power Plant scene but they must have been brutal), easily beating out Sandman. But the worst part of Electro is his character arc which was seriously lacking and some dialogue which I guess post transformation is faithful to comic Electro, I saw some people in the audience just laughing at some of Max's scene(I couldn't tell if they liked it not) but that scene where he imagined himself grabbing Alistair Smythe shocked some of the people(I heard a couple of gasps) including me and two friends I was with. Jamie Foxx as Electro, though it a different story. I liked seeing the ramifications of Electro's actions but I wish we got more stronger explanations to things like when planes were about to crash and May at the hospital. I can see where some of the complaints come from. Compared to some of the Raimi villains and even Lizard in the final draft, he is way more simpler in character arc and motivation, He might definitely be a darker Jim Carrey Riddler but not as far to be considered as campy as Freeze, Two Face or Personality but he was definitely more interesting in personality than say Red Skull or Ivan Vanko. But in terms of motivations, it was simple: He wanted attention, he was obsessed, craving for attention because he felt inferior due to how some-most people treated him as Max Dillon, Oscorp passed him by and kind of treated him like dirt,even when Donald Menken and Oscorp guards were talking about his accident. Spider-Man from what I could tell was the first person who give him any kind of positive attention so he thought the world of him and then he took it to obsessive extremes(I have seen and heard people who went through similar things, and my friends joked that Max was a more obsessive version of a friend we knew), When Gwen said goodbye to him, he fawned over her as well, snapping when his picture was replaced by Spidey (muttering that Spider-Man was so selfish) and people were booing him and calling him a freak,. He only decided to help Harry when he begged him and said he needed him and gave him access to knowing the Oscorp power plants which he created but never got the credit for and also then. If he wasn't played as campy and they fleshed out his insecurities and inferiority complex more, at least fleshed it out and explain his containment suit he stole from a Ravencroft guard and how it works and how he redesigned him and he said more in dialogue when he was sharing time with Harry, He's a man who wants to be recognized and treated with respect and or fear and he did a classic Electro plot to get it. These three quotes quote Max Dillon said to Magneto in perfectly shows Electro's motivation and character(the first from Tom DeFalco's Spider-Man The Ultimate Guide,the later two from Fred Van Lente Web of Spider-Man#2) :
But though he wears a flashy costume and wields a power that should make him virtually invincible, Electro has always had a bit of an inferiority complex. She told When Max informed that he wanted to be an electrical engineer, she convinced him that he didn't have the intelligence for such a career. In the end, he settled for a job as a lineman with the electric company. But though Raised by an overprotective mother, Mac Dillon gained new confidence as well as power on the day a fluke lightning bolt transformed him into Electro.

"My moron ex-supervisors will never catch me siphoning this much power away from the grid. Better than drugs. better than sex. This is what being born must feel like. and to think they called me mad at Atlantic Gas and Electric. Oh, wait. Actually, they called me the best damn lineman that ever lived. and pretty soon...they 'll call me god."

(to Magneto) "What? You think you can control me? Huh? That's it? Let me tell you something bullet-head: my whole damn life nobody ever missed a chance to make me feel small. But that lightning strike? That was karma, baby. That was somebody upstairs saying I don't have to take other people's garbage anymore! Now they jump when I talk! and that's all that means! you hear me?"

Would it have worked more if Max Dillon was more of a straightforward slightly arrogant man with mental issues like the original comics or MTV Cartoon instead of a Jim Carrey Edward Nygma type Max Dillon, or we see a flashback with his overbearing mom not thinking he's intelligent enough to be an electrical engineer or a phone call with her forgetting his birthday, more scenes of Alistair Smythe or Donald Menken and other people ignoring him or using him(it would have been great for Max to imagine them in the Time Square crowd or imagine them as Spider-Man or Max pre transformation making fun of him which makes him snaps) and tie it in with his mental breakdown/deterioration as he turns into Electro(I might have kept at least the tooth gap and maybe the glasses but nothing more as Max before the transformation and show how it affected him after) and try to flesh out the character out more. But it was pretty faithful to Electro's motivations and characterization in the comics and the Party of the MTV Series although it wasn't as fleshed out (we're talking about a guy in the comics who gathering other outcasts and misfits into a group known as "Power To The People", which targets right-wing newspaper baron Dexter Bennett and the New York Stock Exchange in the wake of the 2008 Financial Crisis in order to find a way to restore his powers to a controllable level,also tried to take over New York City's power supply in an attempt at glory and respect, tried to recreate a previous breakout in freeing all the prisoners because of what some criminals at a bar told him that he isn't important any more but ended up killing most of them and blaming it on the Superior spider-Man experimenting on him) . But if someone can clear it up, he got his name Electro from a random bystander in the Time Square scene.

Richard Parker's storyline/Oscorp conspiracy - It's basically what happened in Ultimate Venom arc with a little 616 sprinkled in, only instead of the venom symbiote being only able to work for specific people, it's the radioactive/genetically engineered/genetically mutated spider that bit Pete. while Richard Parker is branded as a terrorist and traitor. I thought it was an interesting combination and I enjoyed it remember when Mark said that the spark hitting the spider in the first movie bit had a more powerful effect on the spider,they should have talk about that in this movie. I like the radioactive isotope nod, I wish it was a little more complex procedures in trying to make sure the spiders won't work for anyone else and the other cross species created and why they were used. But it does show how Norman Osborn is so powerful and manipulative to get whatever he wants, he doesn't care about who's life he ruins in order to get his wishes. I wish they did. I enjoyed the storyline for the most part

Last edited:
Rhino- If he was like this as a main character and was like how Paul Giamatti acted like during the whole movie, I would have hated it and I would have rolled my eyes, but I was happy how he utilized for the most part just a comedic side villain that Spider-Man takes down, funny but stupid describes him perfectly. It reminded me a lot of animated incarnations of Rhino(And lesser extent Stan Lee's Rhino) only with an overbearing Russian accent(I wish Paul toned it down) used by the bigger bad(first appearance it was the Russian criminals and scientist who wanted a "perfect assassin- brainless--obedient--invincible" to abduct John Jameson's for their own purposes, in Spectacular Spider-Man Norman Osborn and Big Man/Tombstone and later Doc Ock, Spider-Man TAS Kingpin and Webb movies it's Harry and Gustav Fiers/Gentlemen ) as a henchmen to throw at the city and Spider-Man for a bigger purpose(here to representation the escalation in super villains created by Oscorp and a way for Spider-Man to have fun with and rag on, while representing what Gwen and Aunt May said for Spider-Man to carry on despite the loss and try to carry it with him) I would hope they tone Paul Giamatti's Rhino down(personality wise and armor look) the but keep the rest of it (what little of it there were). Ultimately even though I knew that the armor wouldn't be in the movie for long, the Rhino armor shouldn't have been used in the promos in any form instead of trying to hint there was going to be a big fight happening, I would have enjoyed waiting until the actual movie to actually seeing him instead of seeing him before hand in posters, and clips acting like it was a teasing a bigger fight, people had a right to feel ripped off in that account(and I even then I enjoyed some of the concept art and Hot Toys version of the Rhino better than the actual version) I thought the armor was better than making him a as a change of pace and like Donald said they got rid of basically all of the cross species mutations after the Lizard incident(I always thick polymer mat suit similar to a rhinoceros hide thought the was just a simplified armor Aleksei just had bonded to him, Spectacular Spider-Man defined Rhino's bodysuit as "highly durable titanium resin armor" and Ultimate R.H.I.N.O. is a robotic/mechanical armor that he stole and I wouldn't have liked it if Rhino was a cross species and looked like the one in the Amazing Spider-Man movie game or Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon and people would have probably complained just as much if not more)

Harry Osborn - I wish we could have saw more of the Peter and Harry relationship, because I did enjoy the little we got (Especially when Peter went on Harry's hair while Harry joked about Peter's "uni-brow") but Dane Dehaan was enjoyable as Harry, although Goblin debut felt kind of rushed it doesn't feel totally out of character but I kind of can see how he pieced together how Peter was Spider-Man. It shows what probably would happen if someone else got affected by the spider venom in my opinion I wish Spidey and Gwen just tried to interact with him more, Ultimately even though I knew what ,Harry as the Green Goblin shouldn't have been used in the promos in any form, I would have enjoyed waiting until the actual movie to a or Norman would revealed to be still alive and using the whole thing as a way to test if Harry was ready or not for the Osborn legacy before he interacts and kills Gwen. I understand why Spider-Man got to keep his blood away from Harry before Harry even ask him and hearing Richard Parker confirm it himself, I would think if Harry give him longer time, Peter would have done more to find a cure for him. This explains Harry's personality in this film perfectly :
his is a Harry who has been separated from his father for six years. A Harry who instead of having a desperate need for approval from Norman, is instead instilled with a deep resentment towards his father. And his father still manages to cast a shadow over him in terms of the genetic disease he passed on.

Instead of protecting his father’s legacy, this Harry wants to be rid of it, and it drives him to the same desperate lengths as any other portrayal of Harry Osborn. But since his very LIFE is on the line, I think I identify more with his desperation and deteriorating mental state than I did when he was just needy for approval or closure, or was just a drug addict.

Dehaan’s Harry struck me as much more dangerous and unhinged in his desperation, and clearly that’s what they were going for in his portrayal.

As far as the suit “healing” him goes, I think that was only a band-aid. Considering Norman managed to live with the disease for so long, it is clearly capable of being slowed or temporarily put into remission. Also, Harry didn't even KNOW about the tech, being as it was in Special Projects, whereas Norman was probably already using the technology to prolong his life. So Harry can’t really be blamed for thinking Spider-Man’s blood was the only cure. And Menken and the others weren’t gonna tell him; they wanted Harry out of the way too.

So what this boils down to for me is a Harry Osborn who is truly worthy of being Spider-Man’s greatest foe. I wouldn't count Norman out yet (no body, haha), but if they choose to NEVER bring Norman back, I think this Harry is a worthy successor. He’s the one who brought about Gwen’s death. He now knows that Peter actively withheld help from him (despite the circumstances). And he’s had enough distance from Peter now to not let that pesky childhood friendship bother him.

Overall - to me I thought it didn't deserve of the flack a lot that it got and it wasn't as bad as some people make it out to be. It did needed to fix some plot points and have some plot holes but overall it was an enjoyable movie. I hated Khafka and glad he died, he was just annoying and rework some of Electro's lines and pre Max Dillon's character arc. I didn't feel the plots were as tangled as some people made or there was as many maybe rework some of the scenes in order for the movie to feel more cohesive because essentially all the storylines was the same but they didn't feel but I like how they build up on some of the stories and closed the storylines the first movie started, probably if Spidey. I agree that it was really foolish of the bystanders to be standing and watching. I think most people would have or at least should have ran away. I would think only a few people would have stayed to probably record or something. And at the end of the film the boy ran unexpectedly I was surprised no one had the courage to come to get him, but that didn't hurt the character.

I did enjoy the callbacks to the Lizard and the first movie(but I agree I would have seen more connected with the Oscorp experimentation and still feel like a stand alone film) In no way did it feel like Electro was the main villain it was Oscorp, I hated that a lot of good dialogues and scenes from the trailers weren't used in the movie , in some aspects it's a better movie than the first one, in others the first movie did a lot of things better. Ultimately it's holds it's own as a Spider-Man film in my opinion. I feel like you could have switched Alistair Smythe or Felicia's character with any other character with a name from the comics like Liz Allen or Barton Hamilton or something or made them new characters it wouldn't have made much of a difference in what they did,you could have Donald Menken done all the things Alistair would have done in this film and it wouldn't have made a big change in terms of story (I honestly felt the same way about Curt Connors in Spider-Man 2 or some of the mobsters in the Dark Knight movies or some of the agents in AOS).

Here's how I felt about specific scenes and characters and what things I enjoyed but needed improvement. This movie, I supported it for the start and hope instead of dividing audience it would find the right balance that could bring them together and almost everyone can enjoy like the first 2 Raimi, maybe I came off a little harder than I intended but I do not shy away or regret defending or loving these movies. They are pretty faithful to the comics in my opinion, although some felt like an overly campy and could have been handled better the tone was pretty good to me.

Agreed. If I had no Raimi films, my views on these films would be the same, in all honesty. Same flaws exist, Raimi or no Raimi.

I don't think so. I thought TASM was better than TASM2, but the fact TASM was better doesn't make me like it anymore. The same problems still exist.

I kind of agree but at the same time if they hadn't cut out scenes that could have happened(mainly the Curt Connor's scene and use the original Uncle Ben death scene and used a different Lizard's ending fight scene that led to the final Oscorp fight scene and maybe have the Lizard release different reptiles from different New York zoos and send them against the NYPD and Spidey as a distraction for him to enact his plans) they wouldn't have disliked it as much as they did, if the editing and have different type of lighting it probably would have been better received while TASM 2 main problem was tying the story line better together and a change in some of the dialogue and character's arc needed to be fleshed out. But maybe it would have been better received if the Raimi movies never came out we would honestly never know unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"