The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS! - Part 5

This movie was not IM2 by a long shot. IM2 had two villains and they were miss poor and most of the movie was all action and a bunch of improvised dialogue. They did it for the first movie and it worked and they tried to repeat the same thing and it wasn't successful.

To be honest, Electro, Rhino, and Green Goblin were piss-poor villains (I'd argue even worse than IM2). They were basically cartoon characters with exaggerated personas. Worse than that, TASM2 felt like a compilation of scenes with no main narrative. Even when it tries to create a narrative, it's either overdone and cliche or not given enough time to delve deeper into some interesting ideas.

The most disappointing thing about this film is that it completely ignores the tone of the first Spider-Man movie and goes maximum on the cheese and camp. I disliked IM3 last year for doing this, and I dislike TASM2 for doing it too.

Do you honestly think that the small amount of fans who didn't like the movie are in the majority? And do you honestly think the RT consensus accounts for the millions of regular people who are die-hard fans who just go the movies to be entertained?

Rt doesn't speak for them and neither does this website or any one person who didn't like the film. Sure it had it's flaw but I don't think those flaws made the movie the "mess" that some users on this forum claim it is.

You didn't answer my question. You made the statement that most people like the film a lot, and I questioned where exactly you were getting that information from.

To be honest, Electro, Rhino, and Green Goblin were piss-poor villains (I'd argue even worse than IM2). They were basically cartoon characters with exaggerated personas. Worse than that, TASM2 felt like a compilation of scenes with no main narrative. Even when it tries to create a narrative, it's either overdone and cliche or not given enough time to delve deeper into some interesting ideas.

The most disappointing thing about this film is that it completely ignores the tone of the first Spider-Man movie and goes maximum on the cheese and camp. I disliked IM3 last year for doing this, and I dislike TASM2 for doing it too.

Well said.

I couldn't agree more :up:

You didn't answer my question. You made the statement that most people like the film a lot, and I questioned where exactly you were getting that information from.

Twitter,online,various places and people in real life.

I fail to see how that is loads better. The expansion of this universe is done at the expense of well fleshed out characters and a good story. Because of the needless urge to "expand" the universe so they can do spin off movies, these movies suffer from wafer thin characters, rushed plots and character arcs, which results in a very weak movie, and an even worse Spider-Man movie.

It's why TASM, as well as Raimi's first two movies naturally are better than this turgid mess of a movie.

This.

I would rather see one villain in a Spider-Man movie while they flesh out other characters. I do however believe 2 villains can work in a comic book film if it's done properly. Take Raimi's Spider-Man of example. Spider-Man 3 could have been a decent movie if done something like this. You would have Harry as the Goblin. His character arc over the first 2 movies would play out in the third. Then you could introduce someone like Sandman or Venom. I personally would have preferred if they had cut Sandman out. The whole symbiote plot could have played out during that movie and Eddie Brock would have a lot more scenes.

I've also had some of my friends bring up The Dark Knight and how that movie used multiple villains in one movie without setting any of them up in Begins. The Joker never really needed a back story or origin. They explained his motives throughout the movie, while setting up Harvey Dent's fate later. Similar concept to what I explained about SM3, only Harry's was explained through the first three movies.

Here in this movie they have two villains who's origins have to be set up in just a short period of time. That's why IMO this was a terrible movie. You can't rush things like this. They have to play out over time.

That's one reason why I fear for Superman vs Batman.

This.

I would rather see one villain in a Spider-Man movie while they flesh out other characters. I do however believe 2 villains can work in a comic book film if it's done properly. Take Raimi's Spider-Man of example. Spider-Man 3 could have been a decent movie if done something like this. You would have Harry as the Goblin. His character arc over the first 2 movies would play out in the third. Then you could introduce someone like Sandman or Venom. I personally would have preferred if they had cut Sandman out. The whole symbiote plot could have played out during that movie and Eddie Brock would have a lot more scenes.

I've also had some of my friends bring up The Dark Knight and how that movie used multiple villains in one movie without setting any of them up in Begins. The Joker never really needed a back story or origin. They explained his motives throughout the movie, while setting up Harvey Dent's fate later. Similar concept to what I explained about SM3, only Harry's was explained through the first three movies.

Apples and oranges. I see everyone bring this up as an example, but the exception being the type of characters being introduced/established and subsequently "developed". In the Nolan Batman, there are no superhumans, therefore no explanation needed for superhuman powers (which need SOME sort of explanation if we are to suspend our disbelief and not believe we are watching cartoon characters).

Totally correct that the Joker needs no backstory or origin. He is established as a "force of nature", his motivation is explicit and he functions exceedingly well in all of the ways that the story calls on him to.

Here in this movie they have two villains who's origins have to be set up in just a short period of time. That's why IMO this was a terrible movie.

Yes, they were both vying for screen time and they both needed to have- but, amusingly didn't actually get- some satisfying resolution to their character arc. Electro explodes and Harry passes out after a brief scuffle. This is poor drama.

Last edited:
I went to see this again yesterday, just to see if I'd like it a *bit* more on a second viewing. It was actually worse the second time. :csad:

After reading several reviews on the internet and various message boards,i went into The Amazing Spider-Man 2
with extremely low expectations.I did have some problems with the film,and it's definitely not flawless,but
some were saying it was as bad as 1997's Batman & Robin and i dont agree with that at all.

Andrew Garfield portrays the joys and pains of being Spider-Man with increased enthusiasm in this film.
I thought the back story about his parents (portrayed by Campbell Scott and Embeth Davidtz),his relationship
with his loving Aunt May (Sally Field) and his on and off again romance with Gwen Stacy (Emma Stone)
gave the film a solid dramatic foundation.
The villains in the film...well i couldnt wait for them to become villains.I didnt buy into Jamie Foxx as the nerdy,Spidey
superfan,and Oscorp engineer but when he eventually became Electro he soars.I really liked the way he wielded his
powers in the film and how they were interpreted.
The friendship between Parker and Harry Osborn (Dane DeHaan) felt as forced and stiff as there scenes together.
Maybe if DeHaan had been in the first film i would have been able to invest in their bond.
Dehaan does excel as the "evil' Harry and The sinister Green Goblin.

There are some cheesy and unecessary moments.Some of the fights end far to quickly.I would love to see
Paul Giamatti's paycheck for his 4 minutes in the film as The Rhino.
I have to question the marketing for this film that basically gave away key plot turns,in it's trailers and T.V spots.
Even if your not a fan of the comics you will be able to figure out whats going to happen.

I praise the SFX crew that worked on the film,because the CGI is almost seamless,and the action sequences are terrific.
I think if you go in not expecting the greatest movie on earth,you can have a good time with the film and enjoy all of the things it gets right.

Scale of 1-10 a 7½

I went to see this again yesterday, just to see if I'd like it a *bit* more on a second viewing. It was actually worse the second time. :csad:
Eww. Well I hope you bought a ticket to another feature, at least. :hehe:

I could never imagine feeding this machine even one more red cent.

Agreed on 95% of these points :up:

Only disagree on IM3. But, that is off-topic :oldrazz:

I loved it. Best Spider-Man movie yet. Sure, it's obvious that a larger, better movie was left on the cutting room floor, which is a shame, but what we ended up with was awesome. I absolutely loved it.

I loved it. Best Spider-Man movie yet. Sure, it's obvious that a larger, better movie was left on the cutting room floor, which is a shame, but what we ended up with was awesome. I absolutely loved it.

So glad you enjoyed it. What did you rate it? Are you going to write a review?

What did you rate the first movie?

:woot: :up:

Eww. Well I hope you bought a ticket to another feature, at least. :hehe:

I could never imagine feeding this machine even one more red cent.

I'll be giving it about 60 more dollars by the time I'm finished with all the times I want to see it.

:yay:

I'll be giving it about 60 more dollars by the time I'm finished with all the times I want to see it.

:yay:
Hey...different strokes for different folks. Glad someone's happy, if nothing else. :up:

My Whole review.

I enjoyed the film begining to end.
The begining i was glad they cleared up what had happened to Peters parents, was a great bit. And when Spiderman hits the screen, it just went complete epic for me. I thought he looked great visually and the chase scene was excellent.Loved the small talk between him and Aleski had a "classic" feel to it. Spiderman in this film was exactly how i thought spiderman should always be portrayed, he was witty , funny and the hero. And as usual Peter had that feel of the world on his shoulders as it should be. The dynamic between Peter and gwen through the movie i thought was great too. I thought they played just as good off each other as they did in the 1st film. I thought Chris Coopers bits and pieces were great he pretrayed an eery Norman etc. (my only comlplaint would him have been goblin in gwens death).But Dane Dehann did great his portrayal of Harry was great , so i was ok with him as Goblin. And i know theres been alot of complaint about Electro but i enjoyed his performance as well...he felt like a nobody, was a nobody, and was obviously crazy. So when Max became Electro with all that power i could see him snapping especially after him and Spiderman go at it in times square. There final battle was great too, was eye candy and well done. Then when Goblin arrives it gets all kinda crazy, he is messed up. Its quick but it is a brutal brawl. Then Gwens death was very epic and emotional, it was iconic. Watching Peter stand over th egrave as time goes by was a good touch , along with the reports of no Spiderman. And when they end it with him coming at rhino..pure Awesome.
As i said earlier 9.5 outta 10! great Film. Best Spiderman film to date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"