The Amazing Spider-Man The Amazing Spider-Man Set Pictures, Videos and News Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought it was universal knowledge that Arad is a moron.

Either...

1) Avi had no idea what he was saying
or
2) He misspoke and meant that we weren't going to retread any stories (i.e. TDK redoing Joker)

If it's 2, that means no PROPER death of Gwen...:csad:

I put the majority of the blame for SM3 on arad.

* sam was on record saying he didn't like venom

* the script was all but finished (mere months from shooting) with vulture and sandman

* arad insisted venom be used

* HUGE script rewrite needed as there was no relationship between sandman and venom PLUS there was no motivation for sandman as this was going to be provided by the vulture who was using sandman.

I absolutely HATE arad for that. on the back of SM2, SM3 was ALWAYS going to make money. he could have waited one movie and then rebooted the franchise with venom as the main badguy and given it to a director that would have done the character justice (difficult as the character so frigging one note). arad doesn't know what the **** he is doing and the fact that SM2 turned out so well (my 2nd favorite superhero movie) is more likely DESPITE him rather than because of him.

Either...

1) Avi had no idea what he was saying
or
2) He misspoke and meant that we weren't going to retread any stories (i.e. TDK redoing Joker)

If it's 2, that means no PROPER death of Gwen...:csad:
I'd say Arad had no idea what he was saying.

He probably over tanned himself inside his tanner right before making those irrational and stupid decisions.

avi-arad.jpg

Exactly.

This is another case of Avi Arad being Avi Arad.

I see this like Bond before Craig. It's a re-imagining that won't undo everything in past films and only build upon the mythos until a point where everything has become silly and a full on reboot is needed. I would also say Batman before Nolan is another example but I hope, pray, these movie don't turn out like those. Who knows, they may even go the Star Trek route...but I hope time travel and alternate dimensions don't play a role in these movies. I don't think they are going to re-use dead villains from the past series or plots from the past series so I think this makes sense.

I don't think Avi is talking out his *** because he has nothing to gain from spilling this info at this early point. I think most people by now were okay with the reboot. I haven't seen many people at all around here lately complaining that they didn't want a reboot. Maybe 6 months ago. This isn't like Tom Rothman saying that Wolverine is longer than the leak 2 weeks before the movie comes out. This isn't like Penn and Kinberg saying that Colossus and Juggernaut fight in X3 when we all hear about production troubles. They had a reason to lie at that point because interest was falling.

He is either 10 months late with this news or this is really what is happening. Do you all not remember all the script rumors going around months ago? Something may have changed between January 2010 when the reboot was announced and December 2010 when they started filming. We got word that different people were coming in to do re-writes/polish, we kept hearing different script reports like Peter in college and then in High School, Bendis was super excited to be on board and then he sort of got extremely quiet.

At this point I don't care if it is a reboot or a re-imagining, I just want a good movie. If they forgot SM3 and made this a sequel to SM1 and SM2 then I wouldn't care just like I don't care about First Class being a loose prequel/pseudo reboot/re-imagining/whatever they want to call it. All I want is a good movie.

I put the majority of the blame for SM3 on arad.

* sam was on record saying he didn't like venom

* the script was all but finished (mere months from shooting) with vulture and sandman

* arad insisted venom be used

* HUGE script rewrite needed as there was no relationship between sandman and venom PLUS there was no motivation for sandman as this was going to be provided by the vulture who was using sandman.

I absolutely HATE arad for that. on the back of SM2, SM3 was ALWAYS going to make money. he could have waited one movie and then rebooted the franchise with venom as the main badguy and given it to a director that would have done the character justice (difficult as the character so frigging one note). arad doesn't know what the **** he is doing and the fact that SM2 turned out so well (my 2nd favorite superhero movie) is more likely DESPITE him rather than because of him.
Which makes me scared that he may have once again done that here. Vanderbilt could have had an amazing reboot script and then Sony/Arad/Zirskin said no, we can't do that and called for re-writes. Who knows. All I knew is that Sony wouldn't throw away everything from the past 10 years of their multi billion dollar Raimi helmed Spider-Man franchise. They are in the business of making money, not making good movies. That is what happened with SM3...they say a huge money making opportunity with Venom and they took it.

Which makes me scared that he may have once again done that here. Vanderbilt could have had an amazing reboot script and then Sony/Arad/Zirskin said no, we can't do that and called for re-writes. Who knows. All I knew is that Sony wouldn't throw away everything from the past 10 years of their multi billion dollar Raimi helmed Spider-Man franchise. They are in the business of making money, not making good movies. That is what happened with SM3...they say a huge money making opportunity with Venom and they took it.

the way I see it is good managers/producers do very little managing/producing, they hire talented people and then let them get the **** on with it. trust the people you hire otherwise why hire them in the ****ing first place :whatever:

arad is the very definition of a bad producer.

You've got a point Chaseter, and it's starting to make me a bit worried.

I see this like Bond before Craig. It's a re-imagining that won't undo everything in past films and only build upon the mythos until a point where everything has become silly and a full on reboot is needed. I would also say Batman before Nolan is another example but I hope, pray, these movie don't turn out like those. Who knows, they may even go the Star Trek route...but I hope time travel and alternate dimensions don't play a role in these movies. I don't think they are going to re-use dead villains from the past series or plots from the past series so I think this makes sense.

I don't think Avi is talking out his *** because he has nothing to gain from spilling this info at this early point. I think most people by now were okay with the reboot. I haven't seen many people at all around here lately complaining that they didn't want a reboot. Maybe 6 months ago. This isn't like Tom Rothman saying that Wolverine is longer than the leak 2 weeks before the movie comes out. This isn't like Penn and Kinberg saying that Colossus and Juggernaut fight in X3 when we all hear about production troubles. They had a reason to lie at that point because interest was falling.

He is either 10 months late with this news or this is really what is happening. Do you all not remember all the script rumors going around months ago? Something may have changed between January 2010 when the reboot was announced and December 2010 when they started filming. We got word that different people were coming in to do re-writes/polish, we kept hearing different script reports like Peter in college and then in High School, Bendis was super excited to be on board and then he sort of got extremely quiet.

At this point I don't care if it is a reboot or a re-imagining, I just want a good movie. If they forgot SM3 and made this a sequel to SM1 and SM2 then I wouldn't care just like I don't care about First Class being a loose prequel/pseudo reboot/re-imagining/whatever they want to call it. All I want is a good movie.

I don't see that happening at all. First of all, we have mechanical webshooters. We're also seeing him be Spider-Man while in high school, while in the Raimi series we saw him decide to become Spider-Man the day of graduation.

The radically new suit being a toy selling opportunity should be the first clue that they are first and foremost concerned with sales.

That's why I'm nervous about Marc Webb. I don't want to make any assumptions about the guy, because I haven't seen this movie yet. But he's not an established director. He's a music video director who has done one small movie. He's an easy guy to boss around. This isn't what we had with Raimi, who had a body of work, a reputation, and had defined his own style. Calling him an auteur would be going a bit far, but he was hired because of what he could bring to the movie. With Webb, I'm not quite as sure.

But the budget is something like 170 mil, right? That's not ENORMOUS. It's big, but it's lower than the Raimi movies. They're also shooting on digital. The lower the budget, the less they need to boss him around, right?

I don't see that happening at all. First of all, we have mechanical webshooters. We're also seeing him be Spider-Man while in high school, while in the Raimi series we saw him decide to become Spider-Man the day of graduation.
We don't know, we haven't seen the movie. There are numerous possibilities that they could go story wise. Just like with Bond, M, Q, Money Penny, etc. all get replaced but continuity continues for the most part. There is some retconning but they never ever re-use dead villains. I am really not sure at this point where they are going with the story but I know that they aren't going to throw away the past 10 years. I bet that they aren't going to re-use Raimi villains. It makes sense, this is why there is no Norman or Harry. I will also bet you that they re-release toys for Raimi villains like Green Goblin and Doc Ock when toys for this movie start popping up. You have to think marketing wise what the best way to make money off of this will be when the director and producer do not have full creative control. That is my hopes with First Class with Vaughn and Singer being in complete control. That is my only hopes for Wolverine with Aronofsky having complete control. I am sure the last thing on their minds are toy sales.

He may be in High School again, I don't know. But we know that they aren't going to re-do his origin. We know that no villains from the past movies are in this movie and I would bet future movies. We know that characters from this movie were all in SM3 but just recast for this movie. This to me screams Bond. It allows the director to do his own thing with his own cast but it also doesn't completely undo the mythos of the previous director and cast. If I was trying to make the most money from this film, that is exactly what I would do.

That's why I'm nervous about Marc Webb. I don't want to make any assumptions about the guy, because I haven't seen this movie yet. But he's not an established director. He's a music video director who has done one small movie. He's an easy guy to boss around. This isn't what we had with Raimi, who had a body of work, a reputation, and had defined his own style. Calling him an auteur would be going a bit far, but he was hired because of what he could bring to the movie. With Webb, I'm not quite as sure.

But the budget is something like 170 mil, right? That's not ENORMOUS. It's big, but it's lower than the Raimi movies. They're also shooting on digital. The lower the budget, the less they need to boss him around, right?

The budget for this movie is rumored to be 80 mil.

The radically new suit being a toy selling opportunity should be the first clue that they are first and foremost concerned with sales.

when you are making a movie the primary focus should be the story. do you have a good story to tell? everything else, (EVERYTHING) should be secondary to that.

design
effects
cinematography
music
lighting
toys
marketing

look at SM3. arad insisted venom be in the movie. why? because it enhanced the story?

Where's 70 mil been mentioned because last I heard it was around 80? I'm not questioning you, but, yeh, I'm questioning you.

If that budget is real, we'll probably see a lot more wire work and less CG web slinging than the Raimi era. Possibly.

^^ CGI work HAS to be invovled in some way when it comes to web-swinging.

it's a sony tentpole movie, the budget is 80m, get real. what movie are they going to spend that money on instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"