The Amazing Spider-Man The Amazing Spider-Man Set Pictures, Videos and News Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^ CGI work HAS to be invovled in some way when it comes to web-swinging.

Yeah for sure, I just don't think it'll be as CG heavy as Raimi's films if the budget is what was listed in here.

It can't be for that much money. Especially if they're going to give us the Lizard as the main villain.

We have to also consider that they're using digital cameras which slices the budget in half. 80 mil for a digital movie is much, much different than 80 mil for 35 mm film movie.

Avi Arad is a producer who wants people to see his movie, and if that means telling the public who are weary of reboots that it's kinda not a reboot, then that's what he's going to do.

I don't think the public really are weary of reboots, are they?

They still turn out in droves for these kind of films. I think his comments just unnecessarily muddy the waters for people that care to read into it.

They still turn out in droves for these kind of films. I think his comments just unnecessarily muddy the waters for people that care to read into it.
When it comes to Spider-Man, yes. The last film is still fresh in peoples minds. Tobey is still Spider-Man. Every time I tell someone about the new movie they're generally shocked beyond believe. "What? A new one? What happened to Tobey?!?!?".

Yeah for sure, I just don't think it'll be as CG heavy as Raimi's films if the budget is what was listed in here.

It can't be for that much money. Especially if they're going to give us the Lizard as the main villain.
Well, I did hear once that the budget for GR: Spirit of Vengeance was brought down in place of this film's budget. So, it could be more now.

Avi Arad is a producer who wants people to see his movie, and if that means telling the public who are weary of reboots that it's kinda not a reboot, then that's what he's going to do.

The GA doesn't read or care what Avi Arad says. The only people that would read what he says is the internet community and by in large, the internet community wants a reboot.

Your point also doesn't make any sense. If he is telling the public who are weary of reboots that it's kinda not a reboot, then you are alienating the people who are not weary of reboots and really wanted this to be a reboot. That doesn't make sense. That is my point. He doesn't have anything to gain from saying that other than to get the new movie in the media. But, that also can be achieved by saying the movie is going to be awesome and it's the best script he has ever read.

But at the same time, those movies ended at number 3, it had an ending and was generally not well received.

Like Batman Begins, word of mouth and curiosity will probably help sell this film. Based on merit, if it's any good then people will be saying Toby who by the end of it.

Which makes me scared that he may have once again done that here. Vanderbilt could have had an amazing reboot script and then Sony/Arad/Zirskin said no, we can't do that and called for re-writes. Who knows. All I knew is that Sony wouldn't throw away everything from the past 10 years of their multi billion dollar Raimi helmed Spider-Man franchise. They are in the business of making money, not making good movies. That is what happened with SM3...they say a huge money making opportunity with Venom and they took it.

With the genre being saturated now more than ever and with the competition stacked against spidey big time AND with the critical credibility Nolan has brought to the genre, you can bet your bottom dollar that, making a good movie is most definitely a priority. To convince yourself otherwise is naieve.

With the genre being saturated now more than ever and with the competition stacked against spidey big time AND with the critical credibility Nolan has brought to the genre, you can bet your bottom dollar that, making a good movie is most definitely a priority.

To who is it a priority? Nolan made a good movie, WB did not. Singer made a good movie, Fox did not. Raimi made a good movie, Sony did not. I don't think for one second Webb has full creative control and when you look back at all the examples of studios putting in their two cents, we get great marketing and terrible movies. So no, I don't think the top priority of Sony is the quality of their movies, it is the profit margins. They aren't in the business of making great movies, they are in the business of making a profit to be able to continue making more movies.

Yeah, ironically the money making opportunity killed their franchise.

If a big studio cared about quality then we wouldn't see titles such as Big Momma's House 3.

To who is it a priority? Nolan made a good movie, WB did not. Singer made a good movie, Fox did not. Raimi made a good movie, Sony did not. I don't think for one second Webb has full creative control and when you look back at all the examples of studios putting in their two cents, we get great marketing and terrible movies. So no, I don't think the top priority of Sony is the quality of their movies, it is the profit margins. They aren't in the business of making great movies, they are in the business of making a profit to be able to continue making more movies.

Of course it matters to sony that the movie turns out great. Bad movies like any other bad product eventually leads to poor sales which leads to poor profits. Also I doubt sony would want Disney to force them into breach of contract and have them take back the rights earlier than planned. Spidey is still very much Sony's sacred cash cow and it's in their best interest to make movies worth watching as opposed to serving up crap and have audiences flock in droves to see alternative movies that are already a threatening factor. Why shoot themselves in the foot and essentially usher audiences to go elsewhere? From a money making stand point such a move makes no sense.

If a big studio cared about quality then we wouldn't see titles such as Big Momma's House 3.

You've completely deviated from the point. If a movie studio cared about quality, there'd be less bad movies being made in general.

SM3 says otherwise. They got greedy and it will happen again. It might not be with this film but it will happen.

Do the general audiance even realize{or care} if a movie is a reboot? I'm sure there was a bunch of people who thought TIH was a sequel to Ang Lee's Hulk.

WTF has that nobjockey Arad said this time? I must have missed it.

Do the general audiance even realize{or care} if a movie is a reboot? I'm sure there was a bunch of people who thought TIH was a sequel to Ang Lee's Hulk.

Which was a genius ploy by Marvel to transition into a reboot and not alienate the GA. To start the reboot where the previous left off. To not get into Betty, General Ross, and Bruce's past since it has already been explained. To not retell the origin because it was already done. Very smart but ultimately Hulk is not a huge fan favorite for the GA like Spidey is.

SM3 says otherwise. They got greedy and it will happen again. It might not be with this film but it will happen.

SM3 proved that the spider-man brand name will always make money but 2012 is a very different arena from what 2007 was. 2012, spidey is going up against hefty competition from movies that many people are excited to see and are anticipating. Spidey has never gone up against or faced such competition ever. Spidey cannot affiord to come hafl-assed at all.

SM3 proved that the spider-man brand name will always make money but 2012 is a very different arena from what 2007 was. 2012, spidey is going up against hefty competition from movies that many people are excited to see and are anticipating. Spidey has never gone up against or faced such competition ever. Spidey cannot affiord to come hafl-assed at all.

Then I probably would have gotten a more seasoned director with a deep passion for the character to go up against Chris Nolan if you wanted to compete with that. I would say SM4 would have had a better chance to compete with TDKR than ASM if you are looking at this in terms of box office competition. I think Sony knows full well that they can't compete with TDKR. Their goal is to make as much money as they can...which is why the 80 million budget makes sense. It wouldn't make sense if the budget was 150 million.

Then I probably would have gotten a more seasoned director with a deep passion for the character to go up against Chris Nolan if you wanted to compete with that. I would say SM4 would have had a better chance to compete with TDKR than ASM if you are looking at this in terms of box office competition. I think Sony knows full well that they can't compete with TDKR. Their goal is to make as much money as they can...which is why the 80 million budget makes sense. It wouldn't make sense if the budget was 150 million.

What makes you think Webb doesn't have passion for the character? I seem to recall that Webb is very much passionate about the director and is a massive fan of the USM comics. Nolan on the other hand as recorded on a segment on the BB dvd clearly stated that he's never had an invested passion for batman, his passion for the character was generally average at best, which is why he brough Goyer on board.

SM4 had no chance in hell to compete with TDKR and I think that is more than obvious tbh. I think sony can compete and go toe to toe easily with TDKR and the $80 million budget has nothing to do with it being a major factor. You're right though, obviously sony want to make as much money as they can but they still want a damn good movie too. SM3 killed at the BO but the reviews and general opinions were less than impresive but I suppose that didn't matter as much because SM3 was primarilly only being compared to SM1 and 2. TASM will now be compared to a whole lot more, TDK, TDKR, AVENGERS and God knows what else is outh there that's comming. Hell, EVEN fOX are making more of an effort to try and make a good wolverine movie (bu that's another story).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"