The Atlantean Lounge

*puts up harle signal in the sky*

It is time.

First I need to finish Suburbicon - it's ****ing awful and I'm only 25 mins in, no sign of Oscar yet
Then I need to tweet about Sam Rockwell a bit more
and THEN I will watch wet Jason :p

I can see why. It'd be very easy to be typecast after that. Even his Aquaman being redesigned to look more like a barbarian seems like it was specifically done to trade off his popularity as Drogo.

A nice defense of Aquaman as a character:

Man, I love Aquaman–to the point where I was basically the go-to guy back in the Comics Alliance days when they needed someone to defend Aquaman–but I don’t think I could go as far as to say he’s the literal best. Like, I wouldn’t put Aquaman on a list above Superman or Wonder Woman. But I do think he is vastly underrated as a character.

Setting aside the fact that the reason most people think he is dumb is due to a misunderstanding of his powers–which creates a feedback loop in which creators then try too hard to make his powers NOT look dumb, which only makes the book actually, measurably dumber–Arthur Curry is a really interesting character that plays a role that other characters don’t.

Arthur Curry is a man of two worlds in a way that even other “_____ of two worlds” characters aren’t. Superman is an Earthling and a Kryptonian, but it is incredibly unlikely that in his adulthood, he’s going to be called back to be king of Krypton. He inhabits a liminal space in that he belongs to two incredibly different cultures, while standing apart from each of them. He was raised among humans, but his powers make him an outcast. He is the hereditary ruler of Atlantis, but his own people reject him for his human background. He protects the land from the sea, and the sea from the land. He tries to use Atlantean tech and magic to benefit land humans, and he tries to modernize Atlantean society with human political science. Both reject him. He’s perpetually stuck in the middle, yet never ceases to fight for both sides. (This, btw, is what separates him from Namor, who only cares about Atlantis.)

Aquaman as a book has the potential to be the Game of Thrones of the DC Universe, since Aquaman is basically Ned Stark. He’s the last bulwark between the monsters of the depths and civilization. He doesn’t usually get played that way.

He is also, of course, King Arthur, though that doesn’t get played up enough either. You sometimes get that connection, like in the Waterbearer era, but that was by attaching him to the Lady of the Lake and such, which is not the obvious connection. You have the rightful heir of a great kingdom who is raised in isolation from his own kingdom only to inherit it as an adult. He then assembles a team of like-minded heroes to help leverage might in service of right. This is text, this isn’t me saying, “Oh, here’s what I would do.” That’s…that’s what Aquaman is. But you don’t get the parallels to King Arthur as explicitly as you should, imo.

Also he’s friends with an octopus, and that rules.

I can see why. It'd be very easy to be typecast after that. Even his Aquaman being redesigned to look more like a barbarian seems like it was specifically done to trade off his popularity as Drogo.

Or, they made him look more like 90's Aquaman minus the hook.

Just the heads up, Jason's new masterpiece "Braven" has landed and I will enjoy it tonight :)

Jason Momoa takes no prisoners in this intense action-thriller. When Joe (Momoa) and his father (Stephen Lang) arrive at their remote hunting cabin, they’re hoping for a quiet weekend. What they find is a stash of heroin, hidden in the cabin by drug traffickers. When the criminals suddenly descend upon the cabin, Joe and his father must make a kill-or-be-killed stand for survival.

So how do you feel about the Venom trailer?

I wish I would have bet actual money on what I figured wasn't going to show in that trailer. Would have made such a killing.

I was very underwhelmed! If you're not going to show Venom then why even release a trailer? Dumb!

LOL exactly! Sony played themselves.

Ughhhhhhhh

People in US can go out and see Annihilation which got glowing reviews and features shirtless Oscar Isaac
And I'm here making popcorn for Mute which is apparently awful and has only few seconds of
Sam Rockwell
:funny:

I won't be watching it because I HATE Natalie Portman.

Brothers and sisters...Okay Loungers... I sincerely request you please give this last episode of TBC, my podcast, a listen to:http://www.tobecontinuedafanboypodcast.com/blog/

This is our Spoiler Review Discussion of Black Panther, with special guest Bassy Bob Brockman, sound man extraordinaire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/"Bassy"_Bob_Brockmann

I am particularly proud of this episode for it's depth and the flow of the conversation, and it helps that we were discussing such a well done super hero film.

This lounge feels like a good resting place, being deserted this long and all.
Time to play PS1 games here.

Life is so busy. I miss hanging around here!

Well, it's not like this thread has been that active, per say. ^^'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"