Infinity War The Avengers: Infinity War Part I & II The Official News and Speculatio - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as the height of the character isn't essential to the spirit of that character, it shouldn't matter what the height of the actor is. (And even sometimes if the height is somewhat important it's still ignored if an actor that is otherwise good enough comes along, see Wolverine)

It boggles the mind how little imagination goes into casting speculation sometime.

Wow, did not saw that coming.
But to be honest, I really was surprised even was Benedict was announced for the DS role, that he has A LOT of projects back then. But I though they figured out the schedule, considering they are shooting for almost 11 months. Guess not.

P.S: This is the new Doctor Strange actor

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1594381/

Wow, did not saw that coming.
But to be honest, I really was surprised even was Benedict was announced for the DS role, that he has A LOT of projects back then. But I though they figured out the schedule, considering they are shooting for almost 11 months. Guess not.

P.S: This is the new Doctor Strange actor

Maybe it's just me, but I think that Daily Mail is exaggerating/maybe making a bigger deal of this than it really is. The original Page Six article makes no mention of how extensive the scenes are that Lazar will be filming. There's no indication from them that ALL of Doctor Strange's scenes in the film will be done by Lazar. Just that, of what he does film as a body double, Cumberbatch will do reshoots for the closeups

With filming encompassing both Avengers 3&4, and it taking between 9 and 11 months to film, I'd be really surprised if Benedict was only available for reshoot filming.

That's just my take on it (apologies if I didn't make sense)

I wonder if his co-actors join in on the re-shoots. Meaning that if Strange has a scene with Thor for example, do they keep Hemsworth's lines that he said to Lazar or do they get Hemsworth to act with Cumberbatch? Former could feel pretty unnatural. But if it's the latter, why do they need Lazar?

No but there's a big difference between the two characters. Tyrion is a three dimensional character. Pip is generally a comedic character. And the clue for why Pip could never work is in the name

I don't see why a character that has a comedic aspect can't be written interestingly(Rocket Raccoon was comedic but also showed a dramatic layer and not to mention Deadpool). Dinklage has certainly shown his comedic range in SNL and other films.

As far as the name, what would be the problem exactly?

Last edited:
It's disappointing about Cumberstrange, but it's not like we are looking at Robert Downey Jr. all the time when we see Iron Man.

The Iron Man and Spider-Man examples are different because of the masks and everything though.

I think Marvel will pull it off and we won't notice anyway, just seems a bit weird is all.

No offense guys, but this happens all the time in live-action movies. Not perhaps to this extent but when you're doing an ensemble piece with so many characters, they will often use a stand-in and then have the original actor in close-ups.

Civil War was huge on this. A lot of the times you see the heroes during the airport fight, that's a stunt double or stand-in with the original actor's voice dubbed in.

Trust me, this is not gonna remotely be the only case.

The Iron Man and Spider-Man examples are different because of the masks and everything though.

They really aren't. Digitally pasting an actor's head on the body of a stunt double has been a thing in Hollywood for quite some time

The way I understood the news is that this is slightly different than the normal use of stunt douples. Usually douples are used in action scenes, but looks like Cumberbatch might be temporarily replaced even in dramatic scenes.

The way I understood the news is that this is slightly different than the normal use of stunt douples. Usually douples are used in action scenes, but looks like Cumberbatch might be temporarily replaced even in dramatic scenes.

Yeah, something like that.

I mean, this guy is really an actor, not some double or stand-in. He has no credited stunt roles, only acting roles (in stuff like J. Edgar, The Wolf of Wall Street and numerous TV appereances)

Usually douples are used in action scenes

That's actually not true. Having a body double for non-action scenes is very common. Sometimes it'll be for a dialogue intense scene where one actor couldn't make it and the others needed someone to bounce lines off of, or even in cases where they needed extra scenes where the face isn't important, but the actor couldn't make it.

Obviously, when you see Tony Stark jump off the roof of an exploding building, that's not really Robert Downey Jr. -- stunt doubles and CGI are there to make sure the franchise's $50 million star doesn't accidentally get whipped in half by Mickey Rourke. But what you don't realize is how little of the star is actually in the movie. When they show anything that isn't the actor's face, there's a good chance the person you're looking at is someone like the stand-in we spoke to.

For instance, the hands shifting gears in the Fast and the Furious movies? All of the males were those of our actor, Thrust Neckpunch (again, not his real name). You're not going to notice that the hand that's only on the screen for half a second doesn't really belong to Vin Diesel, even if it isn't soaked in the blood of the thousands of people he's killed over his movie career, and Vin's time is too valuable to sit there and film a bunch of gear changes. So, they just grab a stand-in whose hands sort of maybe look like Diesel's in the right light.

That scene in Iron Man where Tony is being marched around by terrorists and has a bag over his head, clutching a car battery to his chest? Someone in charge of casting realized "Hey, if we put a bag over his head, we don't have to pay Robert Downey Jr. to do this shot. Someone get Thrust Neckpunch over here!" The same thing happens later when a reporter hands him photos of Stark weapons being used to murder innocent people. When the camera pans down to show him flipping through the photos, those hands don't belong to Robert Downey Jr.

It's also done for convenience, too. The camera angle required for the photo shot would've required Downey Jr. to stand bent over backward for hours at a time so the camera could fit where his head should be, and that's not something you subject an A-list actor to, even if you are paying him enough to actually become Iron Man in real life, should he so desire it.
http://www.cracked.com/article_20721_5-behind-scenes-details-that-change-how-you-see-movies.html

There's even a term for it: "Fake Shemp".

Interesting. I learned something new, thank you. This reminds me of Sean Gunn playing Rocket.

I wonder where Lazar is going to be credited at the end.

Interesting. I learned something new, thank you. This reminds me of Sean Gunn playing Rocket.

I wonder where Lazar is going to be credited at the end.

Also Elsa Pataky was Jane at the end-credits scene for Thor 2, where she and Thor kiss.

It was still Ryan Reynolds's butt in Deadpool though, right? As long as that remains true, I am good with anything else.

That's actually not true. Having a body double for non-action scenes is very common. Sometimes it'll be for a dialogue intense scene where one actor couldn't make it and the others needed someone to bounce lines off of, or even in cases where they needed extra scenes where the face isn't important, but the actor couldn't make it.

http://www.cracked.com/article_20721_5-behind-scenes-details-that-change-how-you-see-movies.html

There's even a term for it: "Fake Shemp".

Very interesting. Thanks for posting

No offense guys, but this happens all the time in live-action movies. Not perhaps to this extent but when you're doing an ensemble piece with so many characters, they will often use a stand-in and then have the original actor in close-ups.

Civil War was huge on this. A lot of the times you see the heroes during the airport fight, that's a stunt double or stand-in with the original actor's voice dubbed in.

Trust me, this is not gonna remotely be the only case.

They really aren't. Digitally pasting an actor's head on the body of a stunt double has been a thing in Hollywood for quite some time
ScarJo in Age of Ultron

It was still Ryan Reynolds's butt in Deadpool though, right? As long as that remains true, I am good with anything else.

Who else has a butt that just won't quit like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"