The Avengers The Avengers: News and Speculation - Part 27A sub-se - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 49

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anything, the point of view at some point should shift to Thor, considering the villain of the piece. I never understood why that wasn't talked about more.

I understand using Captain America as the jump off point in the first act but, at some point, this has got to be Thor and Loki's story...right?

Yeah, I too was wondering about this, and I hope they don't detract from that too much, which I don't think they will after hearing Tom's interview with the Thor vs Loki battle being very emotional, but yeah I agree. I think Cap is a man out of time, but ultimately this is really Thor and Loki's story. It's going to be the breaking point that Thor realises that he can't get his brother back, if there was any doubt before, this is the sealed deal, and that he has to 'let go' of him to be able to save the world....or at least that's what i want it to be like :p bu yeah I agree.

I just hope my dude Hawkeye isn't stuck under the spell during the first half of the movie... that would hurt my feelings.

Found a readable scan with most of the other stuff Whedon said in latest TF mag and transcribed it.

"The first movie I referenced when Marvel asked me what I'd do if they gave me the script was 'The Dirty Dozen," Whedon reveals. "People forgot, but that movie is an hour-and-a-half of training and 20 minutes of Nazi fighting. It helped me to say, you can have time to let these people get to know each other; their conflict can be as interesting as their conflict with the villain." But it was Ridley Scott's 'Black Hawk Down' that really "unlocked" The Avengers. "That's when I realised we needed a war movie. With this many heroes, the only way you can really earn them - earn the idea that they are heroes - is that you put them through a meat grinder."

"This isn't the kind of movie where we're going to wink at the audience," promises Whedon. "There's a great deal of humor and there are a couple of things where people will go, 'Oh!' if they're very into Marvel. Here and there I've thrown references, tiny things I remember [from the comics], but it's not one of those things where you look at and go, 'Oh, that guy and that guy! It's not Where's Waldo?"

"Do I think this is the ultimate Hulk movie? I'm going to tell you I do," says Whedon. "I think what we've done with him is unprecedented and will blow people away." Speaking on Jade Giant's previous outings, Whedon says, "Those are not films I would have made. In the second one he got a [big] of a ripped surfer look that didn't make sense to me"

Drawing the line on the rumor, sparked by English actress Jenny Agutter, that said Spider-Man will cameo, "There is no Spider-Man in this movie!" declares Joss Whedon. "I feel so bad for Jenny," sighs Whedon. "I think she just slipped on a name and the reporter ran with it. It's not like she goes to Comic-Con every year..."

But KF said it after they said it, so....
When/Where did KF say that?
I remember an interview (D23 or whatever it's called) where RDJ and Hemsworth basically stated something along the lines of "Yeah, he's the Leader".
Might have to look for that.

I remember an interview (D23 or whatever it's called) where RDJ and Hemsworth basically stated something along the lines of "Yeah, he's the Leader".

They said it, but KF said that there isn't any leader and he should know best, you know?

You misread me. I said avoiding *collateral* damage. Those casualties weren't collateral. They were *intentional* casualties. . . inflicted upon the bad guys.

Marvel has, so far, been entirely fine with the good guys killing the bad guys, where appropriate. What they are not fine with, is the good guys accidentally killing innocent bystanders, or showing reckless disregard for innocent bystanders when battling a villain. Hence why, first thing Tony does in the final battle in Iron Man 2 is "take the fight to the air, away from the crowds as much as possible."

Is that supposed to be a bad thing? Can you ever foresee one of the Avengers (besides Hulk) deciding to stand in the midst of thousands of defenseless civilians and engage in a firefight with a superpowered enemy? "Okay, there are a bunch of people and children around us, so let's throw down right here and slaughter a bunch of them in the process." Anybody who wants to see that sort of callous disregard for human life from a hero is going to be waiting for a while, I think.

In transformers, when optimus fell out of a building or something onto the street, he made himself land in such a way that he didnt land on any of the civilians running around. I thought that was pretty neat

But Megatron deliberately crushed a few and killed a man with a flick of his finger. Which was also neat because it clearly delineated the savage mentality the Autobots were fighting against.

Until he became anti-Optimus in the last film. "KILL THEM ALL!" :(

I swear, Bay should've given him a goatee.

After what the Decepticons did to Chicago, killing millions of civilians in a bid to destroy the entire planet, a bona fide saint would have wanted to slaughter the lot them. And not just Joan of Arc.

What I never understood about the series is how the Autobots could justify staying on Earth in light of the mass destruction they and their race caused. An honorable people would have made every effort to reclaim whatever Cybertron tech was on the planet and clear off to allow humanity to exist safe from Decepticon attacks. Optimus and the others never acknowledged that their kind brought war to earth, however inadvertently. The military and civilian world leaders had very valid reasons for wanting the 'bots off the planet, but that was never given any credibility.

I just posted that video. That's what he was responding to.

Found a readable scan with most of the other stuff Whedon said in latest TF mag and transcribed it.

"The first movie I referenced when Marvel asked me what I'd do if they gave me the script was 'The Dirty Dozen," Whedon reveals. "People forgot, but that movie is an hour-and-a-half of training and 20 minutes of Nazi fighting. It helped me to say, you can have time to let these people get to know each other; their conflict can be as interesting as their conflict with the villain." But it was Ridley Scott's 'Black Hawk Down' that really "unlocked" The Avengers. "That's when I realised we needed a war movie. With this many heroes, the only way you can really earn them - earn the idea that they are heroes - is that you put them through a meat grinder."

"This isn't the kind of movie where we're going to wink at the audience," promises Whedon. "There's a great deal of humor and there are a couple of things where people will go, 'Oh!' if they're very into Marvel. Here and there I've thrown references, tiny things I remember [from the comics], but it's not one of those things where you look at and go, 'Oh, that guy and that guy! It's not Where's Waldo?"

"Do I think this is the ultimate Hulk movie? I'm going to tell you I do," says Whedon. "I think what we've done with him is unprecedented and will blow people away." Speaking on Jade Giant's previous outings, Whedon says, "Those are not films I would have made. In the second one he got a [big] of a ripped surfer look that didn't make sense to me"

Drawing the line on the rumor, sparked by English actress Jenny Agutter, that said Spider-Man will cameo, "There is no Spider-Man in this movie!" declares Joss Whedon. "I feel so bad for Jenny," sighs Whedon. "I think she just slipped on a name and the reporter ran with it. It's not like she goes to Comic-Con every year..."

The more Whedon talks about this movie the more super-psyched I get for it :awesome:

'Not all of it's going to be from Caps point of view'.

OMG ITS IM2.5!!! Marvel SUXORS!!!

That's what I'm hearing.

So much for that 'marvel's gonna butcherize the runtime too!!!!' BS.

They said it, but KF said that there isn't any leader and he should know best, you know?

I think the actors in the actual film would know better.

But KF said it after they said it, so....

I swear I saw an interview where he flat out says Cap is/becomes the leader. it was ages ago though. i cba looking for it so lets just say we'll have to wait another month or so to find out.

On another note that I dont think i've mentioned before is that I went to a Buffy/Angel Convention last year, with some of the cast and they were asked on what they thought of Joss directing the Avengers, I can't remember each response except Nicks, where he went to say that sometimes him and Joss would swap comics to read on set during breaks and that Joss was the "the biggest comic nut he's ever met". He wished him all the best with it and said he would check it out. :woot:

That's what I'm hearing.

So much for that 'marvel's gonna butcherize the runtime too!!!!' BS.

I think the actors in the actual film would know better.

The regulars here have been reading the same laments from the same source for months now. You get used to it (or you use "ignore" like I do).

You learn to roll with this particular brand of stupidity after awhile. Stick around long enough and sometimes you can even sense it coming before it actually gets posted. The trolls hate being preemptively mocked. :up:

Just found this

tumblrm0uiiyxdfg1rqi9ad.jpg

That is completely awesome. I really like the idea behind that. :up:

Wish I could actually see the Hulk though. :p

Anyone else get the feeling that battle in NYC is going to be absolute chaos and a War Zone of epic proportions?lol :oldrazz::woot::wow::hrt:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"