The Avengers The Avengers Post Screening Review & Discussion Thread (SPOILER FILLED) - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bosef982, once again a heartfelt THANX for indulging us like this. I have one question:

What was your (non-spoilerish) opinion of the fight between THOR and IRON MAN & CAPTAIN AMERICA?

Lots of fun, but far from the best, but still loads of fun.

I think I'm gonna start steering clear of this section now, but before I go I'd would like to know if Thor has any IM level flying scenes.

In the internet era... Whats the use of having a later US reviews embargo if the British one, and therefore absolutely available to any american, is going to be bumping reviews much earlier? Im not criticizing it, im honestly curious.

Bosef982,
Just wondering if Hulk does classic savage hulk justice in his personality. Does Hulk have re pore with any of the Avengers?
Thanks.

"The Avengers is BIG, MESSY, & FUN!..."

Is that suppose to make every ones minds at ease??? The lamo Transformers movies could cover all three of the above mentioned criterias.

I'm sick to my stomach that there's no freaken mention of the interactions between the main leads? About the HEART of the movie (is there any?!). What about the story and handling of the characters? Do they all get enough screen time? Does the movie have anything else to offer then just dumb action? What about Drama? Are there stakes? Do we even end up caring!?

How can you guys be happy about the things we're hearing??? It's not that reassuring. Don't you want a movie with heart and soul? Or do you want a dumb no-brainer action flick with nothing else to offer? Someone even mentioned that the 3'rd act of this flick has more action then all other marvel movies, combined - which made it the best Marvel film yet! Whaaat!?? Because of pure action? Is this guy an idiot or what? Transformers 3 had more action during it's 3'rd act then the previous combined. And you never cared LESS! It was so completely and utterly UNinteresting. You just wanted the damn thing to end already! Kill off all the characters. Kill off all the robots! And while they're at it; kill off Michael Bay! Just put me out of my missery, PLEASE!...

If action is all there is to this Avengers film, and even worse, if it's DUMB action? then I'll cry.

Last edited:
If people had a problem with the characters and story, it'd be mentioned. Pretty much everyone is saying it's awesome. They can't go into detail until the embargo is lifted.

Is that suppose to make every ones minds at ease??? The lamo Transformers movie could cover all three of the above mentioned criterias.

I'm sick to my stomach that there's no freaken mention of the interactions between the main leads? About the HEART of the movie (are there any?!). What about the story and handling of the characters? Do they all get enough screen time? Does the movie have anything else to offer then just dumb action? What about Drama? Are there stakes? Do we even end up caring!?

How can you guys be happy about the things we're hearing??? It's not that reassuring. Don't you want a movie with heart and soul? Or do you want a dumb no-brainer action flick with nothing else to offer? Someone even mentioned that the 3'rd act of this flick has more action then all other marvel movies, combined - which made it the best Marvel film yet! Whaaat!?? Because of pure action? Is this guy an idiot or what? Transformers 3 had more action during it's 3'rd act then the previous combined. And you never cared LESS! It was so completely and utterly UNinteresting. You just wanted the damn thing to end already! Kill off all the characters. Kill off all the robots! And while there at it; kill off Michael Bay! Just put me out of my missery, PLEASE!...

If action is all there is to this Avengers film, and even worse, if it's DUMB action? then I'll cry.

It's far from dumb action.

The movie has more heart then most other superhero movies, and easily surpasses the Spider-Man films in terms of the reverence and love of the characters.

Cap and Iron Man have an interesting relationship, and its very antagonistic.

Thor and Hulk are like drinking buddies.

Black Widow is the lone woman out, but takes comfort in her non-romantic partnership with Hawkeye, who is the one who was key to her redemption from villain to hero.

But the best relationship is Tony and Banner, with Tony being the person who truly believes and is not afraid of Banner. Steve isn't either, and tells Banner upon introduction that the only thing he cares about is that Banner is a brilliant mind -- could care less about the Hulk stuff. It's a quick, great moment. And another great dynamic to the relationships is Banners interaction with Widow, as she has a great emotional/terrified moment with him that rises to the top of my favorite moments in the film.

But Tony and Banner have a wonderful interaction that builds to one of the GREAT moments of the film in terms of Hulk.

The action is completely integral to the plot, and arises out of the team coming together and making a decision that goes beyond even Fury. And they do it as a team, realizing very subtly their responsibilities to one another and the world.

By the end, these guys are friends and you believe it and the way they found one another is active and action-packed, so the action always seems like currency for the larger relationships at stake.

It is this years Star Trek (2009) in that way, where the action services the script and the stories at all times.

Last edited:
There will be jealousy on the internet and the haters will come after this movie is released. I have no doubt that there will be many who will nitpick this movie and dwell on the bad reviews of it. They have done it for every Marvel movie in the 'Avengers era' (post IM). Just look at those that say it looks like a tv show because one guy made a comment about how it was shot.

Sounds cool. See that was the problem with the later TF movies. The story and characters just seemed to be there to get us from one action scene to the next.

The movie has more heart then most other superhero movies, and easily surpasses the Spider-Man films in terms of the reverence and love of the characters.

Black Widow is the lone woman out, but takes comfort in her non-romantic partnership with Hawkeye, who is the one who was key to her redemption from villain to hero.

But the best relationship is Tony and Banner, with Tony being the person who truly believes and is not afraid of Banner. Steve isn't either, and tells Banner upon introduction that the only thing he cares about is that Banner is a brilliant mind -- could care less about the Hulk stuff. It's a quick, great moment. And another great dynamic to the relationships is Banners interaction with Widow, as she has a great emotional/terrified moment with him that rises to the top of my favorite moments in the film.

But Tony and Banner have a wonderful interaction that builds to one of the GREAT moments of the film in terms of Hulk.

The action is completely integral to the plot, and arises out of the team coming together and making a decision that goes beyond even Fury. And they do it as a team, realizing very subtly their responsibilities to one another and the world.

By the end, these guys are friends and you believe it and the way they found one another is active and action-packed, so the action always seems like currency for the larger relationships at stake.

It is this years Star Trek (2009) in that way, where the action services the script and the stories at all times.

And that was like ALL I needed to hear! Sounds good!:applaud:applaud

Which all sounds brilliant.

I have noticed you have been nothing but complimentary in regards to this film. I am curious though; was there anything (without being spoilerish) that disappointed you?

This is exactly what I wanted to hear. I really hope the relationship between Tony and Steve is similar to how Spock/Kirk were in ST09'. Initial dislike but growing respect during the course of the movie. Like Spock, I hope Tony acknowledges Steve as the leader, despite disagreeing over things.

Based on the trailers, the Banner/Tony Stark relationship looked like the most interesting. They seemed like bros from everything we saw.

Bosef, one thing, is there a kinda, inferiority complex from Stark in regards to Cap? Which makes him a bit antagonistic as a defense mechanism type of thing?

Thanks, Bosef, for doing this. I haven't read through all these pages, so forgive me if it's been asked already:
1) Are there hints/easter eggs relating to possible future movies/characters (Black Panther/Namor/Hank & Janet, etc.)
2) When the Hulk spoke, could you tell if it was Ferrigno or Ruffalo?

Sounds a bit like Faith and Angel. Remember when Faith got out of jail after somebody uttered this words: "Angel is in danger". "Barton is compromised". :woot:

There will be jealousy on the internet and the haters will come after this movie is released. I have no doubt that there will be many who will nitpick this movie and dwell on the bad reviews of it. They have done it for every Marvel movie in the 'Avengers era' (post IM). Just look at those that say it looks like a tv show because one guy made a comment about how it was shot.
Never crossed my mind and I thought it looked like a TV show in the trailers.

Not at all.

Also, how was Ruffalo in your opinion? RIM said he was better than Bana, Norton, AND Bixby. Do you agree with this?

Is that suppose to make every ones minds at ease??? The lamo Transformers movies could cover all three of the above mentioned criterias.

I'm sick to my stomach that there's no freaken mention of the interactions between the main leads? About the HEART of the movie (is there any?!). What about the story and handling of the characters? Do they all get enough screen time? Does the movie have anything else to offer then just dumb action? What about Drama? Are there stakes? Do we even end up caring!?

How can you guys be happy about the things we're hearing??? It's not that reassuring. Don't you want a movie with heart and soul? Or do you want a dumb no-brainer action flick with nothing else to offer? Someone even mentioned that the 3'rd act of this flick has more action then all other marvel movies, combined - which made it the best Marvel film yet! Whaaat!?? Because of pure action? Is this guy an idiot or what? Transformers 3 had more action during it's 3'rd act then the previous combined. And you never cared LESS! It was so completely and utterly UNinteresting. You just wanted the damn thing to end already! Kill off all the characters. Kill off all the robots! And while they're at it; kill off Michael Bay! Just put me out of my missery, PLEASE!...

I want you to relaize they can't talk about those things. :cwink:

Which all sounds brilliant.

I have noticed you have been nothing but complimentary in regards to this film. I am curious though; was there anything (without being spoilerish) that disappointed you?

Yes, there were in fact.

1 - I felt like a lot of the cosmic scenes were a bit off-balance and cheesy.
2 - Thor's return is sorta glossed over and felt awkward at first, but it's quickly forgotten. But still, the whole how did he get to Earth and Jane stuff was sorta obviously a result of the separate solo films versus this one.
3 - One or two CGI shots in the finale bothered me.
4 - There was 30 seconds in the middle where I got bored for some reason, don't know why.
5 - Wanted a TAD more from Hawkeye in terms of characterization, but it's okay that I didn't.
6 - I wanted a particular Cap scene that didn't make it into the cut.
7 - I was really meh about the end credit scene, or mid-credit scene, whatever.

But like I said, you just sorta don't give a f- in the end.

Bosef, one thing, is there a kinda, inferiority complex from Stark in regards to Cap? Which makes him a bit antagonistic as a defense mechanism type of thing?

I don't know if it's that so much as Cap doesn't like what Stark represents. He doesn't like his ego and his inability to self-sacrifice and the like, and Stark reacts at the challenge.

It's not like they're bickering every scene, but they do have very different styles and its clear that Cap is more annoyed by Stark than Stark is by Cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"