The Batman Spoiler Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Batman' started by Juke Box Hero, Jun 18, 2020.

1. BMW 224 Symbol of Vengeance becomes Symbol of Hope

It's strange but this clip even more than the actual film really made it hit home for me that Matt Reeves and Robert Pattinson are here to stay and new decade of Batman under there hands is a upon us.

It feels satisfying and reliving knowing that Reeves writing tone cinmeatogrphy and performances is the the type of Batman we will be getting for now one.

Even this Joker design doesn't seem to be controversial for most people.

Everyone is just happy and enjoying Reeves vision for Batman.

We've come along way from the Snyder Era.

#4551 BMW 224, Mar 24, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
  2. Doctor Jones Super Moderator

Man, this is a great scene. Really goes to show how recontextualizing something can change my mind about a character. I didn't like Keoghan in that 2nd scene and was so sick of the Joker, now I'm pretty excited about this frightening monster Joker and this Batman/Joker relationship. The scene is that good!

One day, I wouldn't mind they put this scene back into a specialty screening if Reeves allowed it. Like the Extended LOTR films, just say **** it, you can afford to put this deleted scene back in as the expectations are different since it's part of the event. It'd be fun. And I'm just curious to see how that 2nd scene plays out with this back in.

3. Jekecy Registered

We're at the halfway point of the theater run.

This was definitely timed specifically to attract hype for one last surge in theaters, before this hits streaming.

4. kolyid Registered

I was watching reactions to the scene on YT and reading some of the comments.

Someone mentioned that if you notice carefully that when Batman gets the folder back that the paper clip is gone. I just imagine part of Joker taunting Batman was to distract him from the fact that he swiped the paper clip to probably unlock his cuffs.

5. FunkMiller Failed Experiment

Honestly, Pattison’s performance in that new clip impressed me more than Keoghan.

This Joker is fine, but it does feel like “do it like Heath, only go even further”.

Would have preferred a Joker like the one in Harleen this time around: charismatic.

6. Jekecy Registered

I just took a look at 4K Vimeo clip...the paper clip is still there.

EDIT: Never mind. I see there are multiple paper clips at the start, and at least one is missing at the end.

#4556 Jekecy, Mar 24, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
    dhandler01 likes this.
  7. BMW 224 Symbol of Vengeance becomes Symbol of Hope

I know this may be ironic coming from me....

But I think he'll get that charisma wants he becomes Joker.

I think Barry Keoangh performance is league's different than Heaths

The writing is similar but he made it his own in my opinion.

8. Doctor Jones Super Moderator

What I love about this scene too is it's great worldbuilding. It's intent is still artistic but at the same time as a bonus, it feels like I'm reading a Batman comic. While the Riddler is running loose, along with Catwoman and Penguin out there, Joker's in Arkham where Batman can visit. It's cool to see stuff like this.

9. Boom I got nothin'

"Commissioner" had a Ledger vibe, but otherwise it just sounds like Keoghan to me.

antsman41 and BMW 224 like this.
  10. Doctor Jones Super Moderator

I'm not getting the Ledger comparisons other than the contorted smile. It pretty much ends after the congenial disease that makes him the way he is.

AndyTrevino, dhandler01 and antsman41 like this.
  11. BMW 224 Symbol of Vengeance becomes Symbol of Hope

Yeah i agree.
    Plus even the writing which I admit is similar has enough that serperates itself.

Barry Keoangh gives me the vibe that's he's less interested in making some big point about society like Heaths and more interested in ****in with Batmans head and other mental patients.

Which if I'm being honest as much I love Heaths Joker and consider him my favorite...

Is what I've always wanted in a live action Joker.

DKDetective likes this.
  12. BMW 224 Symbol of Vengeance becomes Symbol of Hope

I think it says alot about how utterly fantastic Robert Pattinson acting is as Batman when he shares screentime with Barry Keoangh Joker and isn't overshadowed.

All the previous Batmans actors struggled with this in my opinion.

Even Bale.

C Prometheus likes this.
  13. Razor Crest Registered

Great scene. Understandable why it was cut (it may come off as slightly shoe horned to some if it was added in, despite my need for a director’s cut now), but it being out in the open now benefits for the reception to alter anything for upcoming sequels and shows. Barry’s doing a wonderful job and so glad that this draws more from Silence of the Lambs as Batman reluctantly asks for Joker’s help. You can tell he wants NOTHING to do with Joker and is just repulsed by looking at him.

The first thing that came to mind was definitely the Joker’s inspiration: The Man Who Laughs. He’s so damned grotesque, just absolutely mangled! Chemicals, wood chipper, for me the disfigured teeth and ghoulish eyes scream Conrad Veidt to me, and I can’t wait to see more.

476DD146-638B-4CA2-8580-F8D5A815F32A.jpeg

CE8B93F5-1039-4A1C-AD9C-5D209931F5B7.jpeg

AndyTrevino and BMW 224 like this.
  14. antsman41 Unseen Arkham Prisoner

I’d say we haven’t got this Batman/Joker dynamic since 1993ish.

chintai80 likes this.
  15. dhandler01 I'm a dick vampire aren't I?!

And some seem very touchy if you praise it too much.

WatchProtect and C Prometheus like this.
  16. antsman41 Unseen Arkham Prisoner

Batman has been visiting Joker/etc. in jail for help with other cases since the later 70’s or early 80’s.

AndyTrevino, BMW 224 and dhandler01 like this.
  17. blaberskite Registered

This joker is truly horrific, I do think that audiences have become pretty comfortable with the character at this point so it's good to see something so extreme.

I'd thought for a long time that the character should be totally fear inducing. Don't get me wrong I'm sure that any of the other interpretations if you met them wouldn't be pleasant, but this is totally unhinged from what we've seen.

If he's bought back in future films I think this could be the first time that audiences are genuinely scared by the character. Again just to reiterate the other interpretations have been great in their own ways, but this looks like it could be out of a horror movie.

IMG_20220324_233928.jpg

18. B [insert witty comment]

Stick me down in the category of not impressed. Without further context of the character's prior relationship, this scene alone wouldn't & doesn't make much sense to just randomly pop up within the film with Batman showing up to effectively ask him for help.. like why? Why would Batman go to him in particular for help? Why would he even give it to him, even if he could help him given that presumably, Batman put him in there?

IMO, the scene makes little sense without any further setup & I'd imagine that's possibly one of the reasons why it was cut as I surmise it disrupted the flow of the actual story to basically shoehorn almost an Easter Egg scene in for fans.

Look wise, I'm not really digging what little we can make out of him, particularly the mouth area & the reason is simply because he looks like he has some sort of terrible, untreated disease & I personally don't really like that. I'd rather the scarring was a little more, deliberate, like Ledger's.

AntonGobbs89 likes this.
  19. BMW 224 Symbol of Vengeance becomes Symbol of Hope

It's definitely the most distributing Joker has looked in live action.

We've gotten so many "sympathetic" Joker's lately it feels great to see pure evil one again.

Leto doesn't count because he hilarious to watch lol.

20. BMW 224 Symbol of Vengeance becomes Symbol of Hope

I think it's "canon" that he has some type of disease Ib this take actually so that's intentional.

As for the rest of your issues to be honest that's just Batman and Joker's unquie realtionship to be honest can't really blame the film when's adapting that aspect straight from the comics.

21. B [insert witty comment]

Ugh, I hope not.

I edited & added to the end of that post after you quoted, I personally would prefer if the scarring, was more deliberate, something similar to but not necessarily the same as, Ledger's Joker.

22. BMW 224 Symbol of Vengeance becomes Symbol of Hope

I get that.

The only thing I can really say is that this way Barry Keoangh Joker stand's out from Heath Ledger even more.

We've seen deliberate scarring before so why not try something new like some type of disease ?

Don't get me wrong it took alot of getting used to for me as well but I evey joker design has that element.

Back when Heath Ledger Joker look was first revealed the deliberate looking scarring was controversial as well.

AndyTrevino likes this.
  23. OnLeatherWings Registered

Someone feels called out.

24. Neno_Kos Registered

Batman did that yes. But to me situation and context of movie and deleted scene of interraction seems like Bat did it because was almost desparate or clueless? I dont know. Almost like Batman in this Joker deleted scene acted bit different than he was in movie.

Like I said I have no issue with scene. It just felt off with context of movie. More like it was standalone teaser scene for possible sequel than it fit with movie. Even dialogue between them. Like I said it's 3h long movie. You wanted Riddler having grand finale and giving answers + reasons for his actions, not 3rd party participant in Joker basically because of his "instincts" in 5 minutes of screentime giving spoilers on Riddler.

25. Gothamsknight A Dark Knight

I really really love this clip and the look of this Joker the more I watch it. I love how far away, the black eyes and long permanent smile stand out, and slightly diminishes into something more grotesque as you get close with the details coming out. Just an overall fantastic scene and it has me so hyped for the future.