The Batsuit Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My favorite big screen Batsuit is the one from Batman Begins.
batsuit.jpg

I love the BB suit but I have always hated the cape clasps.

The thing I never liked about the BB suit is how fake it looks. Like that picture above, it just looks very foamy. I'd like to see something detailed like the Dark Knight Returns suit, in a material like the first-movie Captain America suit.

Batman Begins suit for one reason.

The cape.
I loved the way he could wrap himself in it and it would drag behind him. It is sorely missing in the new suit.

Batman Begins suit for one reason.

The cape.
I loved the way he could wrap himself in it and it would drag behind him. It is sorely missing in the new suit.

I seriously can't think of one scene with the cape wrapping around Batman. I can only think of two movies this happened in: B89 and BR.

I know there are pictures of that, but in the actual movie, I can't remember any.

Because it never happened in the movie; it's also where the complaint of the cape clasps came from, preventing the draping.

I read or heard Nolan wasn't a fan of the bat-cape.

Heard that too and don't believe it. He wouldnt have put it on him if he didnt want it.
Nolan was forced by WB to do a lot of things he didn't want in BB. Rachel Dawes is a big example of that.

Nolan was forced by WB to do a lot of things he didn't want in BB. Rachel Dawes is a big example of that.
He wasn't forced in TDK, lo and behold the cape was still there.

Because it was already established in BB. :huh:
Cmon. Nolan is a director, why would any director want to get rid of the cape when it brings such a visual element to the character.

Maybe he thought about not having the cape but in the end he chose to have it.

Did Nolan really not want the cape? I definately seem to remember him liking the image of a long, flowing cape whipping in the wind.

Cmon. Nolan is a director, why would any director want to get rid of the cape when it brings such a visual element to the character.
And yet he never used the cape in any meaningful way in TDK. It was just kind of there. I guess it billowed in the wind while he was riding the Batpod, but that's incidental.

Nolan clearly doesn't care about the inherent visual flair of the character. To be honest I even prefer the Schumacher costumes to Nolan's because at least they retain a lot of the iconic symbolism that the character is known for.

Don't agree- Schumacher's costumes may present the correct elements of the suit, but in such a way that it loses any of its dramatic nature. The actor should use the cape and cowl to lurk and swoop like Dracula- Val Kilmer/George Clooney just stood there. Nodding. Always nodding...

JAK®;23919143 said:
And yet he never used the cape in any meaningful way in TDK. It was just kind of there. I guess it billowed in the wind while he was riding the Batpod, but that's incidental.

Nolan clearly doesn't care about the inherent visual flair of the character. To be honest I even prefer the Schumacher costumes to Nolan's because at least they retain a lot of the iconic symbolism that the character is known for.

Nolan , to me, has done some iconic shots with Batman... and his cape..
At first I was on the fence with the "gliding", but It has grown on me.
In TDK... I like the shots of Batman using the cape in Hong Kong.. pretty darn cool in my book.

And if you prefer the Schumacher suits?.. too each their own I guess. To me those were WAY over stylized... too damn polished... and looked more like an outfir for an S&M joint, rather than something that would be used to go out and kick ash... Iconic symbolism?... those films?... hmmmmm..

I want the cape to be a weapon. The gliding is great, and it is one of my favorite elements of the Arkham games. But what Nolan misses out on is then using that same technology o_ adding to it to make the cape a weapon in a fight. Why did Batman never whip his cape out as a distraction even, let alone as a stunning weapon? That element has been part of the character since at least the early 90s.

the amount of times that Batman has used his cape as a weapon... few and far between in my book..

Over the past 63 years, it has been used a bit, a small bit.
I wouldn't call it part of the character, nor refer to it s something that Nolan missed.

Kind of like the "white" eyes, or no "white " eyes conversation..
That is something that has been drawn since Batman's inception.. but in a "live action" context it is more difficult to pull off.

I like the idea of the cape being used as protection from fire and such, but a weapon?

to each there own I suppose...

Did anyone else feel the cape's gliding function was notably and oddly absent from TDKR?

Last edited:
Well with the Bat he didn't really need the long distance gliding anymore. As for the cape bracing his falls and stuff it was used.

The scene where he drops down to help out selina against that groups of thugs with his cape flowing behind him was pretty epic.

Speaking of TDKR?, How do you guys and girls feel about TDKR Batsuit?

Heard that too and don't believe it. He wouldnt have put it on him if he didnt want it.

Well, Nolan didn't want Scarecreow to wear a mask either. Rather, he wanted Scarecrow to look like a scarecrow only within the hallucinations. Yet he was convinced by Goyer of keeping the mask.

I also read that Sam Hamm (B89 screenwriter) didn't want the cape for Batman. He was forced to keep it and at some point he had Batman trying to escape from the falling Batwing but unable to because the cape gets stuck somewhere.

Now, I think Nolan had practical reasons to get rid of the cape. I think he thought it was not practical enough, but come on, you cannot take the cape out of Batman. And I don't think Nolan is the kind of guy who cannot listen to reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"