The Batsuit Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like black belt and big leather pouches, the suit is nice in general, it's just the buckle that sucks.

I like the suit overall, but ya that belt is pretty bad.

The pic itself is not mine as is obvious by the credit in the corner. It is one that I found while scrounging around the internet looking for something even close to what I was thinking of. See, if we're talking about Batmans classic comics costume in live action and if what people are thinking of is that light blue you might have seen in a Jim Aparo comic for example, then yeah that would probably be bad for live action. But my thought is more how BTAS handled it with its dark blue highlight. Also I think the 89 costume is the most faithful at least in terms of the shape of the mask and having the chest area looking like muscle and not armor plating.

What I did was make some adjustments with hue and contrast. For the blue to work it has to be not only dark itself but also lit the right way. The grey still comes out very light unfortunately. I think a darker grey would be preferable.

Now IMO the "trunks" area of this pic is cut too high and I wouldn't want them to use that weird three pronged version of the bat-symbol's tail, and it is an action figure but I think this works to convey the idea of how I think Batman's classic costume could be on-screen. The pic as it originally looked before my adjustments is below.

tumblr_lzwbu0MUY61r9cnoio1_1280.jpg

tumblr_lzwbu0MUY61r9cnoio1_12801.jpg

Last edited:
Batman does not wear blue! or purple or whatever that is. What don't people get? It's been explained a thousand times the only reason batman had blue added to his costume is due to crappy inking techniques.

I guess wolverine should be depicted with blue hair as well?

wolverinemini1.jpg

I would be totally against a blue outfit for a live action batman (not likely anyways) as it makes no sense for the character.

Actually it does make sense if you use actual science. Midnight blue blends in to the sky. Black stands out like a silhouette.

But that's not the point. Batman should wear black because Batman wears black.

In the beginning, yes the blue was due to the inking techniques, but later on it developed into so that blue became the dominant color and the black became the highlighting part. That's also a fact.

Personally I don't have any preference per say, it's more about context to me as with most things. For example I love both the blue/grey Neal Adams Batman and the black/grey Mazzucchelli Batman. They both look great in their own way and fit perfectly in to their own context. And that's just two examples.

Hey guys. This is my first post in these forums and I know this is slightly off topic but I just wanted to say this...

Thank you all. Seriously. I have read through this entire Batsuit discussion(yes, including all 40 pages of the old thread) and I have to say its been a FANTASTIC discussion. You've all(save for perhaps one snarky idividual who doesn't seem to contribute much) offered great and interesting insights at one point or another so major props. This discussion made me want to register so I could participate. :)

I am honestly proud to call you guys my fellow Batfans. I look forward to contributing.

What do you guys and girls think of the Smallville Season 11 Batsuit?

Meh.

Hey guys. This is my first post in these forums and I know this is slightly off topic but I just wanted to say this...

Thank you all. Seriously. I have read through this entire Batsuit discussion(yes, including all 40 pages of the old thread) and I have to say its been a FANTASTIC discussion. You've all(save for perhaps one snarky idividual who doesn't seem to contribute much) offered great and interesting insights at one point or another so major props. This discussion made me want to register so I could participate. :)

I am honestly proud to call you guys my fellow Batfans. I look forward to contributing.

Welcome!

Actually it does make sense if you use actual science. Midnight blue blends in to the sky. Black stands out like a silhouette.

But that's not the point. Batman should wear black because Batman wears black.
He doesn't just wear black. He's been depicted with the blue suit just as much as the black.

The blue isn't even what I find most cringe-worthy of that cowl.

He doesn't just wear black. He's been depicted with the blue suit just as much as the black.

The blue dominance was based initially on the misconception that the suit was blue. Which of course evolved in the the suit of the early fifties and then the "new look" from 1954.

The suit, in its final form ('tec #33 and onwards iirc) was supposed to be black. That is what I meant. Just like Superman had been depicted with Roman sandals for a time during his debut doesn't mean it should happen on screen.

The blue isn't even what I find most cringe-worthy of that cowl.

How about specifying what you DO find most cringe worthy?

And perhaps you could also elaborate on what you DO like and want to see in a Batman costume. Something other than one off negative comments would be a nice change of pace from you, no offense.

Majik doesn't "do" constructive. Either accept that, or ignore him.

How about specifying what you DO find most cringe worthy?

And perhaps you could also elaborate on what you DO like and want to see in a Batman costume. Something other than one off negative comments would be a nice change of pace from you, no offense.
Regarding the cowl; The ears are too short and cat-like, as someone else said in Part 1. I do like the brows and jaw cut, though it is cut a bit too wide. I dislike the nose. And the neck is too bulky and not maneuverable enough, as someone else said in Part 1. As for the blue, it should be a dark, midnight blue if anything, where the blue only shows when a light shines on it.

Now regarding my "negative" comments, I've said I like the way the Captain America suit from Avengers was manipped, it's why it's my base body for future Batman manips.I liked when someone posted a picture of Snake Eyes from the upcoming GIJoe 2 movie, and said it could be good, without the belly belts.

Only other posts that may be read as negative, even when they're not, is when saying the cape never draped over Batman in Nolan's movies and that Nolan is not a fan of a lot of Batman stuff, both of which are true. And in the thread beforehand, I just pointed out that old-school blue and grey Batman and Robin in fish-scale undies would never happen because of how ridiculous they look, and I know I'm not alone in saying that. I also disliked those saying they wanted the Arkham games Bat-suit because it'ss everything they hate about the movie suits, but more obnoxious(rubber looking armor, crazy huge gloves/gauntlets/boots/belt; as another poster stated in Part 1.

I've been no more negative than anyone else here, I've just happened to dislike more concepts here than I like. Just how it is. Only one I've disrespected and apologized to has been darklord.

Riiiight, hopefully you guys can answer this! :D

Was the suit in TDKR any different to that in TDK?

Riiiight, hopefully you guys can answer this! :D

Was the suit in TDKR any different to that in TDK?
According to the movie's costume desginer they changed something, but it looked exactly the same to me.

Regarding the cowl; The ears are too short and cat-like, as someone else said in Part 1. I do like the brows and jaw cut, though it is cut a bit too wide. I dislike the nose. And the neck is too bulky and not maneuverable enough, as someone else said in Part 1. As for the blue, it should be a dark, midnight blue if anything, where the blue only shows when a light shines on it.

Now regarding my "negative" comments, I've said I like the way the Captain America suit from Avengers was manipped, it's why it's my base body for future Batman manips.I liked when someone posted a picture of Snake Eyes from the upcoming GIJoe 2 movie, and said it could be good, without the belly belts.

Only other posts that may be read as negative, even when they're not, is when saying the cape never draped over Batman in Nolan's movies and that Nolan is not a fan of a lot of Batman stuff, both of which are true. And in the thread beforehand, I just pointed out that old-school blue and grey Batman and Robin in fish-scale undies would never happen because of how ridiculous they look, and I know I'm not alone in saying that. I also disliked those saying they wanted the Arkham games Bat-suit because it'ss everything they hate about the movie suits, but more obnoxious(rubber looking armor, crazy huge gloves/gauntlets/boots/belt; as another poster stated in Part 1.

See? I knew you had it in you. :woot:

I actually agree with you about Nolan, the cape AND this cowl. The short ears and this bright a shade of blue are not to my taste either. Although I have to disagree about Batman wearing blue and grey not working in live action. It could work if its the right shade of blue, presented in the right context etc. As has been pointed out and I know you don't see it that way so agree to disagree there. Robin in pixie boots and fish-scale short-shorts would NOT work in live action, though. As much as I LOVE that guy who suggested it(his name is escaping me ATM, sorry)'s posts I have a hard time seeing what he sees there.

I've been no more negative than anyone else here, I've just happened to dislike more concepts here than I like. Just how it is. Only one I've disrespected and apologized to has been darklord.

Fair enough.

The blue dominance was based initially on the misconception that the suit was blue. Which of course evolved in the the suit of the early fifties and then the "new look" from 1954.

The suit, in its final form ('tec #33 and onwards iirc) was supposed to be black. That is what I meant. Just like Superman had been depicted with Roman sandals for a time during his debut doesn't mean it should happen on screen.
But what Im saying I know that the original suit is supposed to be black. Even after the fact Batman was/is drawn with the blue suit as well as the black. There's a difference between that and your Superman reference because Superman isn't drawn with the sandals anymore while Batman is still drawn in the blue suit.

The blue/black schemes are both effectively cannon by now. The comics seem to acknowledge that Batman wore blue for some time, since he is often shown that way (with the yellow oval) during flashbacks to years gone by.

I don't like the prescriptive "style sheet" used in the New 52. I prefer an element of artistic autonomy in these things. Jim Lee and his team has Batman wearing blue and grey when it was unfashionable, because that was the scheme that suited them, and it looked great.

Another way to go about it might be to have black and grey but use a kind of blue backlighting or filtering for it. For example some of the nighttime scenes in Terminator 2.

I sorta like that idea, Nexus.

You could use a very dark midnight blue which, as others have pointed out, is actually better nighttime camoflauge than solid black. And then, as you suggested, use certain kinds of lighting in different scenes in order to make it appear more of a deep blue at times(and closer to black at other times).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"