The Batsuit Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh, that part never really bothered me.

The contact lenses glowing actually is canonical to the comics. Scott Snyder's run on Batman has a scene where Bruce fights off ninja zombie circus people(long story) with the lenses as his only gear for a while.

Plus the lenses would let him glare, or show shock, but I'd prefer them to completely block out his eyes-something they could do in post production.

And it would be pretty cool to see his eyes glow with his mask off. It would be even cooler to see the effect happen while he's in disguise.

Here is something I came across. Way over-designed IMO but its supposed to be an old, blind batman in the near-ish future. I guess kinda like batman beyond, sorta.
wcH6AxH.jpg

Personally, I would like to see something straight outta Arkham City.
N2o4qQF.jpg

Last edited:
The suit needs to feel light comfortable for the actor but look armored. I like TDK suit that bale wore but the way he was moving in it looked uncomfortable and heavy.

They could probably borrow snakes eyes suit and throw a cape and cowl on it.

What indication is there that the New 52 suit is rubber? Armor doesn't have to be rubber. The main reason they even use rubber in the movies is because it's a middle ground between flexibility and substantiality, and it's not usually acknowledged as being rubber, since plain old rubber isn't exactly body armor material anyway.

In the real world, there's no material that has both flexibility and a level of durability that Batman's suit usually has. Real world body armor is bulky and doesn't work nearly as well as Batman's.

This is one of the larger issues I personally have with nolan world.
Someone could say the same very thing about a car that can do "ramp-less" leaps, yet the producers found away around that by simply inventing it in their world.

Nolan, especially in begins, was so into the concept or believable armor that he pretty much had batman running around in something as cumbersome as football/hockey gear. I notice he didn't do the same to cat woman, but then again she's not out there fighting usually.

The point is, all nolan(the producers) have to do is have one scene, one scene where Fox, the brains behind the operations, has an "experimental" latex like fabric pelted up against a testing wall. He then fires armour piercing bullets at it and none get through. He then says knives are a different matter. Then you can have your aesthetic and "believability" too.

That begins suit really really bothers me. Every head turn or lack their of killed me.

Last edited:
It didn't look quite as bad as its replacement, however.

The suit needs to feel light comfortable for the actor but look armored. I like TDK suit that bale wore but the way he was moving in it looked uncomfortable and heavy.

They could probably borrow snakes eyes suit and throw a cape and cowl on it.

This idea bugs me. Why should the suit LOOK armored? It makes more sense to me that it doesn't. If his enemies know the suit is armored they're more likely to target his one vulnerable spot, his face (whether or not they actually hit it is another story). It also adds to his rep, if people get the idea that shooting him doesn't hurt him. Makes him seem to be more than human, which is supposed to be the point of the costume in the first place.

This idea bugs me. Why should the suit LOOK armored? It makes more sense to me that it doesn't. If his enemies know the suit is armored they're more likely to target his one vulnerable spot, his face (whether or not they actually hit it is another story). It also adds to his rep, if people get the idea that shooting him doesn't hurt him. Makes him seem to be more than human, which is supposed to be the point of the costume in the first place.

bingo. it goes back to the paradox of wanting the suit to look cool for promotion, toys, etc, hence the armor we're used to. On the other hand you present a more pragmatic perspective with which I agree. Both aspects are relevant, but I hope the next team learns from the suits used before and go forward with something that will set it apart from the rest.

I don't think a suit which looks like ordinary human muscle structure would necessarily look uncool for toys. Not sure what kids are into at the moment, but boys' toys tend to have ripped torsos.

**** armour. Wearing armour is for *****es. They should go back to his original 1939 look:

lewis+wilson+photo.jpg

I think the reboot will try to distance itself from the Nolanverse, so I will not look for an "armored" suit, I'm not saying just pure spandex, but the armor aspects of the suit will not be brought to the forefront like Nolan did.

I like the Arkham Asylum suit, and would really rather see that than a techy hybrid of the Batman Beyond suit.

Whatever suit...I do want to see Batman get more screen time in the Batcave with his mask off.

Some people in this thread seem to be under the impression the suit from the comics is spandex. It actually isn't. It is very similar to a resistant fabric-like material. It is just drawn like spandex because it visually looks better on the page.

That being said, saying that you can't have the suit from the comics in live-action because "spandex wouldn't look good" is an invalid point. There is nothing to suggest that fabric or a fabric-like armor wouldn't look good.

I think they should go with something like the suit from the Arkham games or the Batman Inc. suit. Also, I'd like to see them make the cape, cowl, gloves and boots out of something that's an incredibly dark blue, so that it seems black most of the time, but in brighter lights comes off as being blue.

I think it should look 'armoured' to a degree on close inspection, without looking too overdesigned. I like the Dark Knight suit for the angle they went for, but some things like that Injustice suit and others just look awful.

Some people in this thread seem to be under the impression the suit from the comics is spandex. It actually isn't. It is very similar to a resistant fabric-like material. It is just drawn like spandex because it visually looks better on the page.

That being said, saying that you can't have the suit from the comics in live-action because "spandex wouldn't look good" is an invalid point. There is nothing to suggest that fabric or a fabric-like armor wouldn't look good.

There's a panel in one of the earliest Batman comics (like in 1940 or so) where Batman is apparently unhurt after being hit by a bullet, and he explains that he is wearing a bulletproof vest. So, he's had bullet resistant armor under that unarmored looking cloth suit since pretty much the beginning.
Also agree whole heartedly with your second paragraph. I'm quite positive a major movie company, with all the financial backing they would have, could quite easily come up with a viable comics style suit. Those who say they couldn't have no imagination.

I think it should look 'armoured' to a degree on close inspection, without looking too overdesigned. I like the Dark Knight suit for the angle they went for, but some things like that Injustice suit and others just look awful.

I wouldn't actually mind that too much.

There's a panel in one of the earliest Batman comics (like in 1940 or so) where Batman is apparently unhurt after being hit by a bullet, and he explains that he is wearing a bulletproof vest. So, he's had bullet resistant armor under that unarmored looking cloth suit since pretty much the beginning.
Also agree whole heartedly with your second paragraph. I'm quite positive a major movie company, with all the financial backing they would have, could quite easily come up with a viable comics style suit. Those who say they couldn't have no imagination.

I said he wears fabric armor in the comics. That's what I was talking about. The bulletproof vest he wears is still a type of fabric that is more resistible against bullets and knives than regular fabric but provides the flexibility and fluid movements needed to be Batman.

^ I understand what you were saying. I was just expanding on it to educate those who mistakenly refer to the comics suit as Spandex. I was just pointing out he has ALWAYS wore armor of some kind even though it may not look like it, again reinforcing my point that he suit doesn't need to LOOK armored to BE armored.

Last edited:
I think the way to go is a nanomaterial bullet resistant suit. Tungsten and carbon nanotube body armor has been the focus of research for a long time and should only be a few years away. It has been featured on shows like FutureWeapons for years. I think the general audience would easily accept a lighter, fabric based suit that is also armored as something that is sitting in a Wayne Ent lab at the prototype stage. It has more basis in reality than the memory cloth cape in the Nolanverse.

It shouldn't feel as skin tight as in the comics thou. And it should be explained or demostrated.

Let's not ignore the reason for the suit.......to connect the man to the bat.
That's the goal that a film's design and function should focus on. As it is the focus also for Bruce Wayne.
......Armor is a secondary concern.

How about something like the "Injustice" suit for the reboot?
BATMAN.PNG

This might just be me but :barf: no thanks to that.

Only if it is something he designs specifically to fight some sort of robotic death machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"