The Best Karate Kid film

I know this is taboo but I like the remake the best. Great, great acting from the main cast, awesome fight scenes, and amazing cinematography.
I must agree with you to some degrees. The remake have much more of a build-up story / character development, and beautiful sceneries. The original trilogy was just typical 80s posing flics.

The best one is the original. I like the remake too but it had slight narrative problems.

I had issues with the age level of Jaden. They couldn't make a proper 'teen crush' angle when he was a only tween when they shot it. So his entire arc with him and the girl felt strange and contrived.

I didn't think it was contrived because it feel a lot more innocent than the original. The only thing that felt weird was them kissing since they seemed more like good friends than an actual romance, but I kinda pass that off as them experimenting about romance.

The original is not only my favorite Karate Kid film but one of my favorite movies period. I will never tire of watching it. I love it.

The second one is also damn good but it feels a bit too much like a rehash of the first one. Still love it, juts not as much as the original.

Only seen about 15 minutes of the third one before Thomas Ian Griffith's terrible overacting forced me to turn it off. Maybe it's not so bad if you can get past that, or the ridiculous idea of Vietnam vet Kreese trying to get revenge on a kid barely out of high school? I dunno, it seems too Saturday morning cartoon for me. Maybe I'll try it again sometime.

Never seen the Hilary Swank one and frankly without the Larusso/Miyagi dynamic I don't care too.

Not a huge fan of the new one, I suppose I'm blinded by nostalgia but whatever. It was ok, I don't consider it time wasted or anything. Jackie Chan was great casting and I appreciated that they didn't take the opportunity to **** on the original one.

The original is the best,of course,but I think part 2 is a solid follow up. Part 3 was horrible. It was pretty much just a re-heashing of the original with villains who acted like cartoon characters. Plus,as someone already mentioned,in part 3 Daniel was a freakin' wimp! He was pretty much an annoying character in 3.

The only reason I like the original one more than the remake is because they were teenagers and I could stomach a 17-yr-old punk pulling crap like he did. The fact that they were kids in the remake really turned me off. I absolutely worship Jackie as Kan(?), though, and I think the scene where he's drunk and Jayden pulls him up and forces him to train with him is handled perfectly, better than in the original (not that I don't love that scene, too).

I didn't think it was contrived because it feel a lot more innocent than the original. The only thing that felt weird was them kissing since they seemed more like good friends than an actual romance, but I kinda pass that off as them experimenting about romance.

Kids his age, and I'm generalizing, are not remotely interested in that stuff until a few years later when their hormones amp up. That's why that subplot didn't know where to go and you can tell.

That's why there's more teen-based movies because it's less restricted than a movie about pre-teens. Being a teenager is a such a challenging and compelling stage in anyone's life (transition to adulthood, independence and rebellion, dating and sex, etc) so it's super relatable.

Obviously the martial arts is much better in the remake, but if you're gonna look at the better developed story, I just think the original is better.

Also, I have nothing against China, but anytime there's a movie with the Chinese financing, then China becomes a moving postcard and you have to follow their rules thus restricting the narrative. China has its self interest of course, but their micro-managing is obvious too.

Last edited:
Octoberist said:
Kids his age, and I'm generalizing, are not remotely interested in that stuff until a few years later when their hormones amp up. That's why that subplot didn't know where to go and you can tell.

You don't even have to look at the remake as any kind of romance per se, it can just be looked at as an innocent flirtation with romance, children practicing for the later serious romances they will encounter in life. So, you look at it as a friendship really. And kids can get just as jealous over that kind of thing.
edit: and as far as the arc goes, it has been a while since i saw the original, but if memory serves, it is the same kind of deal, a backdrop to the main plot of the movie, which is about the bullying and standing up for yourself. So, it doesn't really need to go anywhere.

What the remake is very good at though, is exploring the fear that accompanies a child who is bullied by kids who outnumber and are physically stronger than them, who they are forced to encounter at school.

That fear and sense of dread was much more palatable in the remake than the original I felt. It was scarier because little kids are generally more out of control than adult teens, and theses kids carried the same devastating physical prowess as an adult. It was like watching adults with the minds of children bullying a child.
So, in that sense it was much more successful in making you fearful for the protagonist.

Last edited:
Someone voted for Part 3 ? It has to be the original without a doubt ... Sequels were not necessary

Bumping this cuz I didn't have anywhere else to post it and thought fans of the original would like it. It's a short clip of the first audition between Ralph and Elizabeth in 1983, uploaded by the director.

[YT]aQbnoy4X368[/YT]

I always liked the second one the best, especially the scene with the block of ice.

The first for me, hands down. The second one was good also. After that, they become a blur.

You don't even have to look at the remake as any kind of romance per se, it can just be looked at as an innocent flirtation with romance, children practicing for the later serious romances they will encounter in life. So, you look at it as a friendship really. And kids can get just as jealous over that kind of thing.
edit: and as far as the arc goes, it has been a while since i saw the original, but if memory serves, it is the same kind of deal, a backdrop to the main plot of the movie, which is about the bullying and standing up for yourself. So, it doesn't really need to go anywhere.

What the remake is very good at though, is exploring the fear that accompanies a child who is bullied by kids who outnumber and are physically stronger than them, who they are forced to encounter at school.

That fear and sense of dread was much more palatable in the remake than the original I felt. It was scarier because little kids are generally more out of control than adult teens, and theses kids carried the same devastating physical prowess as an adult. It was like watching adults with the minds of children bullying a child.
So, in that sense it was much more successful in making you fearful for the protagonist.

I know I'm talking to a banned user, but I JUST DIDN'T BUY IT. It felt like the writers wanted to go ahead with and then chickened out, so that plot line didn't have a true end.

For me, the first one all the way. I also really like Part 2 as well, one of the best sequels of any movie, anywhere.
Parts 3 & 4 are okay, but you can tell that they were really strapped for new ideas.

And while I personally don't care much for the remake, I feel it probably should have been included in this poll.

I loved the first two, the original being one of my favourite films of all time, but still enjoyed part 3. Didn't see part 4.

This is what it's all about! :D

[YT]6CrrCjhy43Y[/YT]

Karate Kid II was always my favorite."Daniel-san.This not tournament.This for real!":woot:

Had to love Chozon and Sato as villains.I always felt the first felt kinda "generic",for lack of a better term.Here,it felt like you got to know the characters a bit more.

And I always had a hard time watching the first film,knowing Ali was gonna dump him as soon as the film was over.Kid got his *** kicked six ways to Sunday for nuthin'!:doh:

3rd was...Eh....

I always loved the soundtrack to II,especially the song in the ice breaking scene by the Moody Blues....

[YT]tXoseXQKG8s[/YT]

Never seen the Hilary Swank one and frankly without the Larusso/Miyagi dynamic I don't care too.

I didn't care much for this one myself. I think I've only ever watched it once or twice. I thought the story was kinda lame. You really need the chemistry between Mr Miyagi and Daniel for these movies to work. This movie didn't have that. I understand why they went a different route, Ralph Maccio being far too old to be considered a "kid" anymore. But that doesn't necessarily that he couldn't/shouldn't be in the movie, just that he wouldn't be playing the role of the "kid" anymore. Here's how I would have written the fourth Karate Kid movie.

Daniel Laruso has decided what he wants to do with his life. He goes to college and gets a teaching degree. Then he opens up his own karate dojo. With his quasi local celebrity status, his business does quite well. He ends up having one young student who is incredibly physically gifted when it comes to martial arts. Unfortunately he has a real attitude problem. He keeps using his karate to bully other kids. Daniel tries everything he can think of, but the bad behavior continues. So Daniel calls in the big guns . . . Mr Miyagi. Together they get to the root of the kid's attitude problem (an abusive father maybe) and correct it. Maybe the kid uses his karate skills to stand up to his father and kick his ass? Anyway, I think that story would have been much better than what we got.

I agree about the Larusso/Miyagi chemistry. I also think that Han/Dre had a similar kind of chemistry, which is probably why I really really liked the remake/reboot.

I've always said Karate Kid 2 was my favorite and is one of the sequels where it's better than the original, but the first one just has so many iconic moments and characters that it'll always overshadow any ones after.

I love the first one and the second one was good too, the remake I didn't care for it was well done but I can't stomach Jaden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"