• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Cage Powered Ghost Rider: SoV Box Office poll!

^It only earned an estimated $7 million on Friday, so a $25 million weekend is likely the max its going to make, Dont see it making another $50-60 million to surpass its budget myself.

Looks like this may be the last GR movie for a while.

What a shock, a bad looking movie that was the sequel to a bad film failed to light the boxoffice on fire. (bad joke I know)

Honestly, Sony knew that this movie would only do these numbers, that's why they didn't spend 120mil on it. Nobody was asking for another GhostRider film, at least nobody in America was. It should do 25-27mil for the 4 day holiday weekend and drop like a ton of bricks and end with something that's much lower than the first film.

People overseas don't care how good a movie is as long as it's in 3D so it should do well for what it is.

The numbers are not shocking. What was the budget for the movie? Probably has steep drops after this weekend, so this may end up the last GR movie, at least in the theater. Maybe direct to DVD sequels could happen, which I could see since this one felt a bit B-movie/Sci-Fi Channel-ish in some ways. Only on acid.

Budget was a reported $75m.

I was hoping for a $35m+ holiday 4-day...DANG IT!!
I wonder if this can do $60m-ish domestic if overseas can get it over $150m?
That might be one of those cases were again it gets consideration for a sequel.

Unless overseas numbers are huge this franchise seems done for the time being.

I agree. $25 mil opening and likely bad legs on a $75 is not good. It needs serious overseas bank to get theatrical sequel consideration. Limbo or DVD sequels are more likely.

Ghost Rider crashes on Friday:

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance sputtered out of the gate on Friday [debuting] to an estimated $7 million, which is less than half of the first Ghost Rider's $15.4 million on the same Friday five years ago. If Spirit of Vengeance follows Ghost Rider's pattern, it could finish in fourth place for the four-day weekend with less than $24 million.

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3372&p=.htm

Yeah, this ain't looking good.

The numbers are not shocking. What was the budget for the movie? Probably has steep drops after this weekend, so this may end up the last GR movie, at least in the theater. Maybe direct to DVD sequels could happen, which I could see since this one felt a bit B-movie/Sci-Fi Channel-ish in some ways. Only on acid.

Great description. It did have a B-movie feel to it. Entertaining though...

I think this movie should've been R-rated and go for broke, instead of playing it safe and hope that it would attract families who'd drag their kids to see it. GR could've tried to break the mold of superhero movies, but it just ended up as another weak entry in the genre.

Box Office Mojo is estimating Ghost Rider is in 3rd for the weekend with 22 million, behind Safe House with 24 and the Vow with 23.6. Nooootttt exactly a good start!

this franchise is over for awhile! 25 mil opening on a 75mil budget i say it tops out at 55 to 60 domestic!they can try it again down the road with dan ketch maybe! nic cage is too old for johnny blaze hes 47 should be someone between 26 to 30 playing that role!a young star could own that role!

I think this movie should've been R-rated and go for broke, instead of playing it safe and hope that it would attract families who'd drag their kids to see it. GR could've tried to break the mold of superhero movies, but it just ended up as another weak entry in the genre.

A very good point. This is what I admired about Conan The Barbarian(2011). Yes, it tanked, but at least it was an admirable effort because it could've been decided to "lighten it up" to get the "Clash of The Titans"-families, but they did make it brutal R as it should be, despite the somewhat risky budget for an R-rated film.

Box Office Mojo's prediction pretty much summed it up. This movie needed at least $35-40 million ''to even justify its existence''.

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance flamed out this weekend with a meek $22 million start at 3,174 locations (2,352 of which showed the movie in 3D). That opening is less than half the three-day start of the original Ghost Rider on the same weekend in 2007 ($45.4 million), which is a nearly unprecedented drop for a sequel.

An abundance of factors contributed to Ghost Rider's decline. While Nicolas Cage has been getting away with the over-the-top shtick for a while now, his star has faded in recent years with an abundance of bizarre and disappointing projects like The Sorcerer's Apprentice, Season of the Witch and Drive Angry. More important than Cage, though, is the fact that audiences probably weren't all that interested in a sequel to Ghost Rider in the first place. The original movie has a 5.2 rating on IMDb, which is atrocious considering fanboy fare usually gets a break on the site.

The nail in the coffin, so to speak, could have been the lengthy time off between the original and the sequel. As odd as this may sound, a good comparison is Happy Feet Two. Both Spirit of Vengeance and Happy Feet Two added 3D and were released exactly five years after their first movies. Happy Feet Two's opening was 51 percent of Happy Feet's, while Spirit of Vengeance's was 49 percent of Ghost Rider's. This seems to indicate that unless you have a monster of a brand (even with four years off, The Dark Knight Rises will probably be in good shape), you really shouldn't wait too long on the sequel.

One bright spot is that the budget for Spirit of Vengeance was just $57 million, or around half of the first movie's $110 million budget (our trusted source at Sony originally reported Ghost Rider 2's budget at $75 million, but said he accidently switched the numbers and sent along the revised figure on Sunday). Regardless, Ghost Rider is an established brand and the movie had a robust marketing effort, so it really should have opened much higher than $22 million.
So looks like this movie is a disappointment all round. The bit about the budget certainly sounds like saving face... He switched the numbers around. Yeah... :up:

Box Office Mojo's prediction pretty much summed it up. This movie needed at least $35-40 million ''to even justify its existence''.

So looks like this movie is a disappointment all round. The bit about the budget certainly sounds like saving face... He switched the numbers around. Yeah... :up:

Actually the directors said the budget was around 50 million a few months ago, they said it was about the same as the budget for "Gamer" (which was 50 million).

yeah first the budget was 75mill now its 57mill looks like spin doctoring too me! lookin at the special effects you really believe its only a 57 mill budgeted film!

bomb! bring on dan ketch version a couple of years from now!

did sony intensionally want this movie to fail? im seriously starting to think that

my local cinema is only showing this in 3d and only 3 times a day and thats just after 7pm and only for 1 week then its not being shown anymore :doh:

im incredibly amazed its like there is very little effort to make money here

yeah first the budget was 75mill now its 57mill looks like spin doctoring too me! lookin at the special effects you really believe its only a 57 mill budgeted film!

I see that people are just going to keep ignoring the fact that the directors said the budget was around 50 million a few months ago?

Last edited:

If it was mostly shot in Eastern Europe, yes....

But the budget is probably 75. Maybe it's now 57 with tax breaks and what not added in? I'll see this one on the base for 3 bucks. Or maybe in the theater in town. Dunno yet. Looks kinda cool.

Yep it's official, people are going to keep ignoring it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"