• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Dark Knight The Chances of An Extended DVD ....

Zmoker

Civilian
Reaction score
Ok pp, not a "what scenes are missing" thread, so much as a general discussion/poll on whether you want an extended DVD

Know Nolan doesn't like them, but think about it: we know that Jonathan Nolan has said parts of scenes were trimmed, and we know how popular the film is with the fanbase. We also know the first cut of the movie came in around 3 hrs, 2 hrs. 50, right?

So what do you reckon the chances are of a DVD release including: Batman jumping on cop cars, Joker leaving the party, Wayne and Dent clinking glasses, Lau screaming on the bonfire ... etc?

Would it be a good idea or bad?

Some of the editing in the first hour was choppy, let's face it, jumping from scene to scene without segues, or much sense of flow (Wayne at dinner one evening > jump to following day in convo with Fox, etc ...) so you can't help wonder how much joining paste was trimmed to build the wall?

As I said, I know Nolan doesn't like extended cuts and only films what he needs, but in view of the film's overriding popularity, might this be a chance to break his one rule, and give us all the encore we've been longing for while he thinks about part three?

Your thoughts please. :brucebat:

Peace out,
The Zmoke.

Zero.

Nolan put every single scene in the film. An extended cut would just be adding one minute max to each scene which would completly screw the pace of the film.

The Dark Knight is perfect as it is. The director's cut is the version we all watched in theatre. No need for an extended cut.

And this might be the 13th tread about an extended cut. So please, close...

Much as I love it (and with the exception of almost everything in the second act: the dual assassination, hospital, interogation and jail break scenes which should never be tampered with) the film doesn't have a perfect pace.

In places, that's because it's too long and muddled. (E.g: batman jumping off building into Joker's lair fine without the swat team bs and 3d lenses. Likewise, he doesn't need to repeat Harvey's motto and tell us he's not a hero in the closing seconds umpteen times ... "call it in" would suffice, allowing Gordon's monolgue to tell us the rest.)

In others, like the first hour, it's because it's too damn choppy. For example, Dawes relationship with Harvey is established outside court with a sassy quip about an attempt that she's just witnessed on his life. Huh??? We need to SEE she loves and cares about him, don't we? Was that pithy scene like, literally, all they shot establishing their relationship? I doubt it.

Simlarly, Bruce tells us about the cornball "I believe in Harvey Dent" campaign ads, but we never see one. We never see him as a politician on his campaign trail. We see next to nothing of Ramirez or Wurtz. After presumably months of looking for him on a most wanted list, Scarecrow is just left sitting with the fake Batman without Bats contacting or handing him to the cops??

I personally think stuff added to the first act in exchange for that needless Ps2 scene in the third would and could have struck the perfect balance without throwing off the pacing.

But that's just me. What do others think?

Zero.

Nolan put every single scene in the film. An extended cut would just be adding one minute max to each scene which would completly screw the pace of the film.

The Dark Knight is perfect as it is. The director's cut is the version we all watched in theatre. No need for an extended cut.

True, however it was the same for LotR, yet we got Extended Editions of those.

Although I would say it's unlikely.

Unless Doc Brown is gonna interrupt Nolan's vacation and take him back in time to shoot more footage there's nothing else to put in the movie. While u and I obsess over the 2 shots (joker in the backseat of a car and Batman running over the police cars), no one else cares nor NEEDS it.

The film is fine the way it is. Let's not George Lucas this film ok?

- Jow

In others, like the first hour, it's because it's too damn choppy. For example, Dawes relationship with Harvey is established outside court with a sassy quip about an attempt that she's just witnessed on his life. Huh??? We need to SEE she loves and cares about him, don't we? Was that pithy scene like, literally, all they shot establishing their relationship? I doubt it.

Simlarly, Bruce tells us about the cornball "I believe in Harvey Dent" campaign ads, but we never see one. We never see him as a politician on his campaign trail. We see next to nothing of Ramirez or Wurtz. After presumably months of looking for him on a most wanted list, Scarecrow is just left sitting with the fake Batman without Bats contacting or handing him to the cops??
You're complaining about the pacing and you want the movie to be mucked up with useless filler like this!? We see that Rachel loves and cares about him plenty of times throughout the film, such as when Harvey's about to be driven off in the swat truck, or when the Joker has both of them surrounded by explosives. There's no need for any soap opera-esque scenes between the two of them when their relationship can be established in much simpler ways.

As for the "I believe in Harvey Dent" line, it was a nod to the viral marketing. If you want to see Harvey Dent campaign advertisements, http://ibelieveinharveydent.com/ has more than enough of that kind of thing. That Bruce mentioned them was sufficient for me. It's not something we need to be beaten over the head with. Ramirez and Wuertz aren't important characters. They're crooked cops and that's all we need to know about them to explain their actions. And if there was even one more line about Ramirez's sick mother, the movie would have been in danger of becoming very hokey.

Finally, it is to be assumed that Batman left the crooks there for the cops and contacted them about them. Anyone with even the smallest bit of knowledge about the character could come to that conclusion. We wouldn't need to have this spelled out for us if it were the comics or the animated series (he does the exact same thing to criminals in both of those), so why should a movie about him be any exception? A movie like this is already pretty long to begin with, and if scenes are going to be extended, I don't want it to be scenes that hold my hand and insult my intelligence as they explain every little detail. I want it to be scenes that actually add to the movie, or I'd sooner do without them.

Unless Doc Brown is gonna interrupt Nolan's vacation and take him back in time to shoot more footage there's nothing else to put in the movie. While u and I obsess over the 2 shots (joker in the backseat of a car and Batman running over the police cars), no one else cares nor NEEDS it.

The film is fine the way it is. Let's not George Lucas this film ok?

- Jow

georgelucascharacturebig.jpg

Woe, Jesus, take a chill pill Bat-Mite. You've clearly missed my point about taking out and putting in with regard to overall pacing, even if that isn't the actual point of extended cuts per se.

I'm just saying, Imo, the first hour would've been much better served by less choppy editing is all.

And yes, I stand by my point that details like seeing Batman hand over Scarecrow to the cops instead of leaving him in limbo, a scream fro Lau to let us know that he's still up there instead of disappearing into thin air, or even a little more sympatico with Dent and Rachel in the courtroom instead of her sneering, dismissive retort in the face of seeing the man she loved just come within an inch of his life, WOULD have served the story better than a 15 minute long computer game sequence the movie really didn't need.

Sorry pal. My opinion is all. Don't have a hernia.

You should probably go into the film an hour after it starts.

Personnally I love the pace of the film, I dont want anything added or changed.

I dont really want to see a man buring to death either, I also dont know how he can scream when he is gagged and bound.

Woe, Jesus, take a chill pill Bat-Mite. You've clearly missed my point about taking out and putting in with regard to overall pacing, even if that isn't the actual point of extended cuts per se.

I'm just saying, Imo, the first hour would've been much better served by less choppy editing is all.

And yes, I stand by my point that details like seeing Batman hand over Scarecrow to the cops instead of leaving him in limbo, a scream fro Lau to let us know that he's still up there instead of disappearing into thin air, or even a little more sympatico with Dent and Rachel in the courtroom instead of her sneering, dismissive retort in the face of seeing the man she loved just come within an inch of his life, WOULD have served the story better than a 15 minute long computer game sequence the movie really didn't need.

Simlarly, Bruce tells us about the cornball "I believe in Harvey Dent" campaign ads, but we never see one.
You want some stupid campaign spots in movie that takes place MONTHS after campaign? WTF?

It's called subtley my friend. Implying. Innuendo. We saw Scarecrow tied up. We know his ass is headed to Arkham. We're lucky we got that scene at all seeing as it had VERY little to do with the rest of the movie.

Screams from Lau are not necessary.

uh and what computer game sequence are u talking about?

- Jow

Rachel's dismissive reaction to Dent almost being shot does seem strange at first, but it makes sense if you think about her character. Rachel is attracted to men who attract danger. Bruce is one, Harvey is another. They are essentially the same, and the only difference between them is that Bruce fights crime illegally, while Dent does it within the law. Rachel simply can't fathom being with a man who breaks the law (and is a "freak"), which is why she's with Harvey.

Besides, she looks shocked and afraid when Rossi pulls out the gun, but after Harvey punches him out, she calms down a great deal. In the viral marketing, Harvey also puts himself in great physical danger (active hostage situation) so Rachel's probably somewhat used to that sort of thing.

I liked how they showed us short snippets of Harvey and Rachel's interactions, instead of having the cliche lovey-dovey "I love you so much" cuddling scenes. God, I hate those, and I'm a chick. :cmad:

And I think Lau was drugged up on that pile of money. Doesn't really detract from the story really, since the character had fulfilled his use when he gave up the location of the money.

And no, no chance of an extended DVD. There are short scenes in the script that weren't in the film, but the script we have is an early draft so we don't even know if they filmed all of it. We know they never filmed the HK water drop, for one. Plus, the "additional" scenes are probably 10 seconds each, at most.

fun thread....0%
end thread. Wordemup!

Am I the only one that actually liked the sonar stuff at the end?

This thread is useless. No matter what some of you feel or want in an 'extended cut', it's only going to be what it is. Wishful thinking. I'm glad Nolan is not a George Lucas when it comes to rereleasing his films based on his idea his films are not 'perfect' the first time around. Nolan is one of those rare filmmakers who knows what he wants and puts it all in.

If Nolan were like every other filmmaker these days, we'd have our wallets completely milked til we can't even afford potato chips!

I also think the people that demand so much when it is unnecessary should stop being so picky and be happy with what they have. Not everything is meant to get a super edition treatment on home video. I think you guys just over analyze everything. I'd have to blame George Lucas for starting this attitude with his rereleases.

There is nothing wrong with the editing. The pacing was fine as is. Adding any additional seconds would throw off the way things are paced. It's clear cut and we understand what we need to understand.

Exactly when is the scheduled release date of the DVD? I can't find any reference to it here...
Rob

it would be nice to see the carjumping and the joker backseat scene...
what he can do furthermore would be to release the different takes of some joker scenes which didnt made into the movie ...
some of them are in tiny pieces in the tv spots ...
i like the "i know the truth" from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sktZWzBKuFc
more than the used one..

Zero.

Every scene?

That's obviously some deleted footage (Batman jumping on the cop cars for one). It would be nice if we could at least get deleted scenes as extras, but judging by Batman Begins, I think Nolan would prefer that stuff in the vault.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"