The Dark Knight The Christian Bale/Bruce Wayne thread

I can totally agree with that. :up:

Thanks. Look, they were all chosen for a reason, and while Bale is and always will be my favorite, Keaton was amazing as Batman, and is one of the biggest reasons the comic book genre was brought to life back in 89. Bale's got the physicality and intensity to play Batman and Bruce sufficiently, while Keaton has this humbleness to his Bruce Wayne that separates his subtle yet menacing Batman. It's not like writers and artists all write and draw Batman the same.

Bale's "John Connor" voice in Terminator is his Batman voice dialed down a few notches. And its what his Batman voice SHOULD be IMO.
http://www.hd-trailers.net/blog/2009/05/11/terminator-salvation-you-will-not/

Yup, I been saying that ever since I first saw it, it's perfect. But besides the voice, Bale really nails the dichotomy of the character better than anyone before him IMO. I also think it's necessary to remember what each actor was given to work with too, because Bale easily had the best cast & script, so I give Clooney's Bruce Wayne some credit just for rising above the mess he was mired in. I think Val Kilmer wasn't terrible either, I especially enjoyed his version of Wayne also, regardless of the limited time he got.

Keaton though, I feel he brings certain elements to his Batman that are still timeless. His Batman is more along the lines of what I envision him to be, in terms of his emotionless, cold demeanor. Keaton's Batman was more mythical, elemental almost. He barely spoke at all in costume in B89, he just appeared out of nowhere, whupped some ass, and was gone. Plus those eyes he had, were absolutely piercing. He's nowhere near Bale's size, but just the look on his face would've scared the hell outta me. I wish I could combine B89 & BB Batman into one movie. Now THAT would be the quintessential caped crusader....

Yup, I been saying that ever since I first saw it, it's perfect. But besides the voice, Bale really nails the dichotomy of the character better than anyone before him IMO. I also think it's necessary to remember what each actor was given to work with too, because Bale easily had the best cast & script, so I give Clooney's Bruce Wayne some credit just for rising above the mess he was mired in. I think Val Kilmer wasn't terrible either, I especially enjoyed his version of Wayne also, regardless of the limited time he got.

Keaton though, I feel he brings certain elements to his Batman that are still timeless. His Batman is more along the lines of what I envision him to be, in terms of his emotionless, cold demeanor. Keaton's Batman was more mythical, elemental almost. He barely spoke at all in costume in B89, he just appeared out of nowhere, whupped some ass, and was gone. Plus those eyes he had, were absolutely piercing. He's nowhere near Bale's size, but just the look on his face would've scared the hell outta me. I wish I could combine B89 & BB Batman into one movie. Now THAT would be the quintessential caped crusader....

Exactly my feelings all actors brought something to the role Val Kilmer especially is criminally overlooked sometimes his wayne was very good as someone obviously uncompftable in big events but able to adapt to them and he had the bat/wayne intelligence down pat not quite West or Keaton but still great stuff.

Keaton though was so unexpectedly amazing imo in the role it is one of those times when great spot on acting makes you look past the fact he isnt completely faithful in the good looks department or the original comics which is a very rare thing in this medium. I mean who actually notices his size in the movies when he is batman? he has the best presence as the character so far still for me..

he hardly said a word but was able to convey huge amounts of emotion from his dead eyed stare and whispering voice, i agree he had an almost elemental mythical vibe about him the way he appeared and dissapeared. While his wayne is an equired taste for some (i think it was an amazing 180 from the comics but worked perfectly for Burtons world) i still stand by him being the best batman in the suit if only for the way he completely dissapears into this dark vigilante who has the intelligence and drive i would expect (his mulling over the Jokers chemical code with Vicki in the cave is still one of the best moments in any batfilm for me it was just so perfectly acted) and who is light years away from bruce wayne and which brings up endless debates into which is his real persona wayne or batman.

BATMAN- No....Hairspray wont do it alone, but Hairspray mixed with Lipstick would be Toxic..and untraceable.

Last edited:
BATMAN- No....Hairspray wont do it alone, but Hairspray mixed with Lipstick would be Toxic..and untraceable.

"Some people say your as crazy the Joker"

"What people?"

"Well.....let's face it....your not exactly normal, are you?"

"It's not exactly a normal world is it?"

LOL, man I loved that scene too, I don't care what anyone says, B89 is still a classic to me, and Keaton's Batman deserves more credit around here. It really is on par with some aspects of Bale's, and vice versa

"Some people say your as crazy the Joker"

"What people?"

"Well.....let's face it....your not exactly normal, are you?"

"It's not exactly a normal world is it?"

LOL, man I loved that scene too, I don't care what anyone says, B89 is still a classic to me, and Keaton's Batman deserves more credit around here. It really is on par with some aspects of Bale's, and vice versa

Keaton's Batman persona is absolutely superior to Bale's, imo...Keaton laid the groundwork for how the dark batman persona is portrayed...Kilmer, Conroy, Romano, and Bale were all somewhat influenced by it.

How in the world can anybody dis Kevin Conroy's Batman voice? That's just wrong! That's the voice I hear when I read Batman books/comics

I'd say Bale's voice when he giving Rachel the antidote in Begins is my favorite.
Quite a few scenes in Begins where I like his Batman voice. The two that come to mind...Flass interrogation, and when he gives Rachael the "leverage" she needs, "You rattled his cage!". :up::up:

Quite a few scenes in Begins where I like his Batman voice. The two that come to mind...Flass interrogation, and when he gives Rachael the "leverage" she needs, "You rattled his cage!". :up::up:

Agreed. I also like when he's outside Gordon's house, it's just like so many Batman moments from the comics, the way he's perched and everything. I think his voice is absolutely perfect in that scene.

"They were splitting the shipment in two, only half went to the dealers"
"Why what about the other half?"
"Flass knows."
"He won't talk."
"...He'll talk to me." :twisted:

Actually that might be my favorite part of any Batman movie period. I remember after that scene, sitting in the theatre thinking to myself "They finally got it"

How in the world can anybody dis Kevin Conroy's Batman voice? That's just wrong! That's the voice I hear when I read Batman books/comics

That´s the voice YOU hear when you read Batman....(I hear Bale´s :woot:).

Do you know that different people can actually have different opinions ?

Personally, I don´t give a damn about Conroy, never did...I like the guy in New Frontier waaaaaaaaaay better.

Polux

That´s the voice YOU hear when you read Batman....(I hear Bale´s :woot:).

Do you know that different people can actually have different opinions ?

Personally, I don´t give a damn about Conroy, never did...I like the guy in New Frontier waaaaaaaaaay better.

Polux

Jeremy Sisto? I didn't like his voice at all, though I can't remember why. I think he sounded like an old man. Bale's is the best! :up: Yeah, that's right, I like the Bale voice. Big whoop, wanna fight about it? :cwink:

Jeremy Sisto? I didn't like his voice at all, though I can't remember why. I think he sounded like an old man. Bale's is the best! :up: Yeah, that's right, I like the Bale voice. Big whoop, wanna fight about it? :cwink:

:woot:

Kevin Conroy was the best thing about Batman Gotham Knight! And Bale's voice sucked in TDK. He did great in Begins. He's still my personal favorite live action Batman because of BB.

Conoroy's voice was so out of placein GK. As much as his voice is untouchable, it's time to find other voice actors instead of Conroy's.

I still love Keatons voice best it had mystery to it like his batman had.

Bales voice was pretty bad throughout TDK but he did have some great momens in BB i loved when he talked with gordon "now where two" was a greatspoken line but bale just couldnt hit a consistant tone in both movies and it irritated the hell out of me, it was like a good singer singing out of tune.

I still love Keatons voice best it had mystery to it like his batman had.

Bales voice was pretty bad throughout TDK but he did have some great momens in BB i loved when he talked with gordon "now where two" was a greatspoken line but bale just couldnt hit a consistant tone in both movies and it irritated the hell out of me, it was like a good singer singing out of tune.

Then blame Nolan and his buddies in post-production. Bale's voice was manipulated with computers to sound the way it did. His voice on the set when they recorded his scenes likely sounded closer to his John Connor voice, but then they thought it was a good idea to jack with it in post-production.

Then blame Nolan and his buddies in post-production. Bale's voice was manipulated with computers to sound the way it did. His voice on the set when they recorded his scenes likely sounded closer to his John Connor voice, but then they thought it was a good idea to jack with it in post-production.

i didn't know that :wow:
did they do the same thing in begins or just for tdk ?

I don't like Batman having a "normal" voice like Kevin Conroy's, but if I had a gun to my head or a knife in my mouth, I'd say Bale's voice when he giving Rachel the antidote in Begins is my favorite.
I second these.
Just like Goblin, i also think that Batman cant have a normal voice or whisper. Bale nails it. They overdid it in TDK for sure, but we cant go back to a normal voice. I cant even imagine Batman interrogating someone better than he did to Flass.

Maybe the general audience needs to get it instead of ridiculing it. And some people need to get off the Keaton bandwagon cause he barely acted when in costume. He just whispered and did poopy-faces... But thats what Burton gave him, so its not his fault.
Kevin Conroy was the best thing about Batman Gotham Knight! And Bale's voice sucked in TDK. He did great in Begins. He's still my personal favorite live action Batman because of BB.
Conroy has a great voice, but i think he needs to growl more like Bale does. His Batman has a deeper voice than his Wayne, but i still want more.

While my ignorant friends laughed, i came when i heard:
"Where were the other drugs going?"
And i knew... that they had nailed it!

Last edited:
Maybe the general audience needs to get it instead of ridiculing it. And some people need to get off the Keaton bandwagon cause he barely acted when in costume. He just whispered and did poopy-faces... But thats what Burton gave him, so its not his fault.Conroy has a great voice, but i think he needs to growl more like Bale does. His Batman has a deeper voice than his Wayne, but i still want more.

Yeah, I'd like Conroy alot more if he added more growl to his voice.

The entire Flass interrogation is perfect. I don't care what anyone says, "SWEAR TO ME!" is as good as it gets. :up:

Yeah, I'd like Conroy alot more if he added more growl to his voice.

The entire Flass interrogation is perfect. I don't care what anyone says, "SWEAR TO ME!" is as good as it gets. :up:
And the more organic, animalistic batsuit that actually made him look like a monster (instead of a SWAT guy with a blanket. I mean could you imagine the scene where Rachel first sees him in BB but with the TDK suit? Would she be scared of him? "Hello there....Bumbleb...er....swat....man") along with the Narrows setting were perfect. Too bad TDK had none of that comic book iconic shots. But i will leave this sort of whining for the appropriate thread.

I cant even imagine Batman interrogating someone better than he did to Flass.

I remember when I first watched/heard that in the theater and thinking to myself "Oh ****! I actually find Batman intimidating."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"