The Coronavirus’ Impact On The Film Industry Thread

I’m really curious what Amazon gets from this. Prime Video has one of the most inconsistent content libraries of any streaming service, and occasionally releasing films just to get award recognition achieves what?

Not complaining because I thoroughly enjoyed Sound of Metal, Suspiria, and Small Axe.

I’m really curious what Amazon gets from this. Prime Video has one of the most inconsistent content libraries of any streaming service, and occasionally releasing films just to get award recognition achieves what?

Not complaining because I thoroughly enjoyed Sound of Metal, Suspiria, and Small Axe.

IMO, Amazon Prime as a studio is basically an indulgence on Bezos' part. Its more a way to keep his foot in the waters and earn some creative credit than a serious attempt to break into the movie or TV business. Hence why I figure Amazon will continue making movies and TV shows regardless of its marketshare, so long as Bezos wants to continue his hobby as producer.

Also I think it bears repeating (as already mentioned) that it's only January, Trump is almost on his way out of office, and we're going to have a new POTUS who actually believes in science and that covid is actually real. So let's not be writing off 2021 yet. Things will almost certainly be different this year with Biden in office, as opposed to last year's failures on multiple levels with Trump in office.

This goes far beyond Trump. This a global problem. Trump has nothing to do with what is happening in places like Europe. Even if the US got things straightened out, studios need more than just the US market to make a profit with these films.

Also, Biden's position is to encourage harsher lockdowns (as opposed to Trump's "let the virus win" approach). If anything, his administration could result in more theater closures, not less.

This goes far beyond Trump. This a global problem. Trump has nothing to do with what is happening in places like Europe. Even if the US got things straightened out, studios need more than just the US market to make a profit with these films.

Also, Biden's position is to encourage harsher lockdowns (as opposed to Trump's "let the virus win" approach). If anything, his administration could result in more theater closures, not less.

Yeah, there are several posters here who keep complaining about people being negative, but saying that things aren’t going to be normal until Fall isn’t being negative. It’s being realistic(or even optimistic). Ironically, the people demanding everyone being more “optimistic” also seem to be the people who are taking each delay news the worst...probably because they are holding on to unrealistic expectations.

Thank you for bringing up this point. Trump is trash but all that's happening all over the world with COVID isn't him and as you said they need more than the US market

So, to give you an idea of how things are looking for this year, my state just updated their projections when the general public will be able to access the vaccines.

August. Ain't no movie making money this year.

Yeah, don't get your hopes up. I think the fall prediction is even optimistic.

I'm getting concerned about these pushes. What's gonna happen? Release two years backlog of movies into next year's with their already scheduled movies? If not, what the hell do you do? You can't release all of them on streaming.

Yeah, don't get your hopes up. I think the fall prediction is even optimistic.

I'm getting concerned about these pushes. What's gonna happen? Release two years backlog of movies into next year's with their already scheduled movies? If not, what the hell do you do? You can't release all of them on streaming.
Movie Pass came too soon!

I was looking at the information for the remaining episodes of The Walking Dead this season and it looks like they've got two directors working across those six episodes, which I don’t think has been the case for any other six-episode stretch in the show’s history. Makes me wonder how this all might be affecting TV directors and their ability to hop from production to production.

Governments are not the problem in this pandemic. They have responsibilities, sure, but it all comes down to each individual's behaviour. This is highly contagious and if people are not aware that if every single one of us don't take measures, this will not end, no matter what any government does. Even with vaccines. It takes time for them to make effect.
Just release the damn movies at home, the studios should take that loss after years and years of making money. Give us something on this horrible times we are living.

Yeah, there are many new movies in streaming and a ton of television projects coming all year. Plus infinite content of products from previous years. No need to diminish the theatrical experience that some films were made for.

Governments are not the problem in this pandemic. They have responsibilities, sure, but it all comes down to each individual's behaviour. This is highly contagious and if people are not aware that if every single one of us don't take measures, this will not end, no matter what any government does. Even with vaccines. It takes time for them to make effect.

I do think the American government could have done a lot more to encourage good behavior, hence our numbers being worse than just about anywhere else. But in general, yes, it comes down to the individual citizens. If the populace isn't going to follow guidelines, there is only so much that can be done. We had a Constitutional Amendment regarding Prohibition and how well did that work out? All it did was drive people underground where they did what they wanted anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"