The Coronavirus’ Impact On The Film Industry Thread

This could mean no reshooting or shooting of MCU movies/series until probably early 2021
no new movies until 2022 (despite the movies, which were already filmed - Eternals, Suicide Squad, F9, Ghostbusters,...)

btw when the economy ends the shutdown, it won’t be possible to shoot a movie the usual way. no close lovescenes or fighting scenes, not mentioning the procedures that require close distances like makeup and so on.
There won‘t be filmings for a long time...
Having two actors with a cleaner bill of health than random folks on the street and doing what they do now isn't a problem. Besides those types of scenes are mostly absent from the movies and relegated to award winning TV. It is more about the numbers of support crew who must work close together to make a movie and not a YouTube video.

Big budget movies generally are not used for PSAs since now the audience is global

But I do wan‘t s kiss between Thor and Jane in Thor4
How do you think they handle it? Doing testings every 2 weeks during filmings?

But I do wan‘t s kiss between Thor and Jane in Thor4
How do you think they handle it? Doing testings every 2 weeks during filmings?

They can film it the same way they filmed the kiss at the end of Thor 2. Hemsworth can kiss his own wife, then they can also film Portman separately kissing something, and they can combine the footage.

They can film it the same way they filmed the kiss at the end of Thor 2. Hemsworth can kiss his own wife, then they can also film Portman separately kissing something, and they can combine the footage.

That's how they did that? What the hell is happening to filmmaking? :funny::funny:

I expect there will be a few movies set during the Coronavirus. I can't imagine there wouldn't be at all or that no-one would acknowledge it and make out as if it never happened. It's too significant an event in world history. It might almost seem as if people were sweeping all under the carpet if it was never acknowledged in films or even TV shows.

People have already made songs inspired by the Coronavirus outbreak, so, yeah, it's obvious there will also be movies and books eventually. Everything that happens always inspire someone so it would be strange if this pandemic would be any different

Such a great farce on Hollywood. Never gets old. And the cutting around stuff and actors is probably more relevant than ever. The Expendables franchise, Justice League and some of the Marvel Studios movies are jarring examples of cut and paste jobs.

And can I take a moment to praise classic Simpsons: at their top they weren't just a great animated comedy series. They were COMEDIC EXCELLENCE, featuring the work of some of the smartest and most talented comedy writers, supported by the directing of people which included bona fide pioneers such as David Silverman and Brad Bird, and godfathered by heavyweight James L. Brooks.

Last edited:
I'd argue that The Simpsons during it's prime years is the greatest comedy in television history and along with Seinfeld shaped virtually everything we've seen since in primetime American comedy. Greg Daniels certainly wouldn't be a thing without The Simpsons. So his American version of The Office wouldn't exist and all the television comedies that spawned from that wouldn't exist. The impact of the show can't be overstated.

Only if we want to turn WALL•E into reality.

tenor.gif

Yeah, I'll keep saying that. It's a great argument. Fight me, people. I'll gladly ignore you. :funny:

Watching movies in Theaters is overrated, streaming is the future. :o

This could mean no reshooting or shooting of MCU movies/series until probably early 2021
no new movies until 2022 (despite the movies, which were already filmed - Eternals, Suicide Squad, F9, Ghostbusters,...)
Yeah thats why I would be surprised if Spider-Man 3 doesn't move.

...I think that's a little dramatic, especially considering that most, if not all of you, have a Netflix subscription and already stream a lot of content from the comfort of your living room. Hell, you probably have more than one subscription. How the hell is streaming going to turn us into Wall*E? Even if movie theaters closed forever, people would still walk outside and go out to do other stuff. Some people might even decide to go to the gym (crazy, I know).

Besides, I think it's really crazy to compare not going out to theaters to becoming an dependant overweight person because what exactly do you do when you go to the movies? Most people drive to the theater or use some kind of transportation (by sitting on their ass while a machine or someone else does most of the work) and then they sit on their ass for two hours while eating and drinking a large soda. I mean... :funny:

BTW, you can't work out while watching a movie in theaters, but you CAN do a light work out at home while watching something. God knows I used to do that all the time.

The problem is not movie theaters or having every movie available at home via streaming services. The problem is people's attitude.

And no, I do not want movie theaters to go away so I can watch everything from home. But if that came to be, I would not become a dependant fat man :funny:

I expect there will be a few movies set during the Coronavirus. I can't imagine there wouldn't be at all or that no-one would acknowledge it and make out as if it never happened. It's too significant an event in world history. It might almost seem as if people were sweeping all under the carpet if it was never acknowledged in films or even TV shows.

Given that 2020 is probably going to be defined by this virus, I say it's inevitable. Even the plot doesn't deal with the virus directly, unless everyone agrees to just skip a whole bunch of months like nothing ever happened movies set during this time will be dictated by the behaviour and rules of this pandemic, like if you set a movie during the Great Depression.

...I think that's a little dramatic, especially considering that most, if not all of you, have a Netflix subscription and already stream a lot of content from the comfort of your living room. Hell, you probably have more than one subscription. How the hell is streaming going to turn us into Wall*E? Even if movie theaters closed forever, people would still walk outside and go out to do other stuff. Some people might even decide to go to the gym (crazy, I know).

Besides, I think it's really crazy to compare not going out to theaters to becoming an dependant overweight person because what exactly do you do when you go to the movies? Most people drive to the theater or use some kind of transportation (by sitting on their ass while a machine or someone else does most of the work) and then they sit on their ass for two hours while eating and drinking a large soda. I mean... :funny:

BTW, you can't work out while watching a movie in theaters, but you CAN do a light work out at home while watching something. God knows I used to do that all the time.

The problem is not movie theaters or having every movie available at home via streaming services. The problem is people's attitude.

And no, I do not want movie theaters to go away so I can watch everything from home. But if that came to be, I would not become a dependant fat man :funny:

Yeah exactly. I love theaters as well, but if you don't think that changing viewer habits is a legitimate thing and accelerating, or that D2C is the future to bet on over theaters, then people should ask themselves why major studios are scrambling and further disrupting their own business to chase Netflix down this rabbit hole? Theaters will still be an avenue studios will use and are still the best model for revenue and cultural impact today, but seemingly not tomorrow. Why in 2013 did WB CEO Jeff Bewkes call Netflix 'The Albanian Army' in terms of being a threat, only to sell to AT&T three years later because he didn't think they could complete with scale? Despite having a film history and IP library that Netflix could only dream of?

Also, this is the impact on the film industry thread, so I feel I shouldn't have to continually qualify that every quote or link I post of others view on the subject is a 100% endorsement of my desires or preferences. The future is what it is, but context is essential to the discussion.

‘Trolls World Tour’: Will The Movie Profit Off Universal’s VOD Experiment? – Deadline

Those close to Trolls World Tour say their costs are covered, and that they’ll be just fine off this experiment.

Deadline’s finance sources disagree, unable to calculate how the deletion of a theatrical window will benefit downstream revenues for Trolls World Tour. Will people want to rent or buy it in subsequent windows? Because of this, some believe the sequel is primed to lose at least its production cost ($90M). Remember, that global home entertainment and TV figure we gave you earlier of $170M for the first Trolls? That was spurred by a WW box office gross of $346.8M.

Given that 2020 is probably going to be defined by this virus, I say it's inevitable. Even the plot doesn't deal with the virus directly, unless everyone agrees to just skip a whole bunch of months like nothing ever happened movies set during this time will be dictated by the behaviour and rules of this pandemic, like if you set a movie during the Great Depression.

Maybe there will be a modern-day version of the Waltons set during the Coronavirus pandemic rather than the Great Depression. It can focus on their family again but with them all under lockdown and having to learn to get along and make use of their time.

I love the outdoors and being physically active will almost always be my first choice on what I want to do unless there is something I REALLY want to see. Movies are for when it is either dark out or the weather is too crappy to do anything better.

This virus is driving me crazy because I'm stuck inside most of the time.

This is sadly what some people would prefer the future of entertainment to be.

A few in this thread unfortunately.

Who are you to judge?
Btw gettin fat and lazy has absolutely nothing to do, with not watching movies in cinemas.

Last edited:
I can judge anyone’s words of wanting something solely in the laziest way possible. It certainly follows down that path of not wanting to go to sports games or music concerts or anything with a crowd simply because you want it ONLY at home.

I love the outdoors and being physically active will almost always be my first choice on what I want to do unless there is something I REALLY want to see. Movies are for when it is either dark out or the weather is too crappy to do anything better.

I love the outdoors too, but I see movies as more than just passing the time. They’re a passion. Movies are for whenever you need them. Day or night, rain or shine.

Yeah putting your fat ass in a cinema seat is pretty much the same like living healthy and doing sports

This virus is driving me crazy because I'm stuck inside most of the time.

I can not smash the like button hard enough for these two comments

This is impact on Japanese entertainment, the news here in Japan that one actor from the newest Super Sentai series (Mashin Sentai Kiramager), Komiya Rio (who played The Red) has been tested positive for corona.

Since then, the production has been postponed as well but luckily TOEI already shooting the various episodes until mid-May.

Though that, Toei is not closing or postponing the production of their other super hero show, Kamen Rider Zero One. Their production will go on as planned.

And thankfully,on the recent update, Komiya has been recovering well,he is been released from hospital and now in self stay home for 2 weeks.

Here is from Komiya's own tweet following his release from hospital

The production of Mashin Sentai Kiramager will resume soon after Komiya's fully recovery.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"