The CW eyes The Vampire Diaries spinoff "The Originals"

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/cw-...organ-phoebe-tonkin-and-penned-by-julie-plec/
CW Eyes ‘Vampire Diaries’ Spinoff With Backdoor Pilot Starring Joseph Morgan & Phoebe Tonkin And Penned By Julie Plec
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

The CW is piloting The Originals, a potential spinoff of the network’s flagship series The Vampire Diaries, in consideration for next season. The project, from Vampire Diaries co-creator/executive producer Julie Plec, will be introduced as an upcoming episode of Vampire Diaries that will air April 25, serving as a potential backdoor pilot. It stars popular Vampire Diaries cast member Joseph Morgan and the series’ recent addition Phoebe Tonkin. The Originals centers on the Original family of vampires, as Klaus (Morgan) returns to the supernatural melting pot that is the French Quarter of New Orleans — a town he helped build centuries ago — and is reunited with his diabolical former protégé Marcel. Tonkin also stars, reprising her Vampire Diaries character as werewolf Hayley that was introduced this past fall. Plec will write the backdoor pilot episode and executive produce Originals with Alloy Entertainment’s Leslie Morgenstein and Gina Girolamo for Alloy, Warner Bros TV and CBS TV Studios.
I have to wonder how Tonkin's character would factor into this.

I don't know how interested in this I am. What threats can you even really introduce for Klaus? That we haven't already seen along with new ways v to kill him? And I would hope Rebecca would be part of this as well. I think they should keep Hayley on tvd since I don't see her being a big use in this.

They are annoying in the show & just wont die & they want a spin off ?

I'm mainly interested in this because I like Morgan's work on TVD and I'm tired of the love triangle that seems to be permeating every single scene on TVD this season. Anything that gets away from that sounds good to me.

But I'll definitely be interested to see the reasoning behind attempting a spinoff and how Plec plans to make it work.

Based on Tumblr, probably as a love interest.

tumblr_mdubsuzSnJ1ql6ewao1_250.gif
tumblr_mdubsuzSnJ1ql6ewao2_r1_250.gif

Yup. Totally shippable. :D

This would be awesome, as long it's based on Elijah

To be completely serious, can we take a moment and let it sink in the idea of a show surrounding Klaus, Rebekah and Elijah? Yeah... I don't think the show's title should be "The Originals". A far more fitting title would be:

tumblr_inline_mghdg8wJV71qjxxtu.gif

Okay... clearly, I'm still not being completely serious. :D

Rebekah needs to stay in Mystic Falls, she is way too awesome. Klaus can GTFO though.

So this would run concurrently with Vampire Diaries like Angel/Buffy did? Gotta say I am sick of Klaus so if this ensures he leaves Vampire Diaries I am A OK with that.

Klaus >>>>>>>>> Salvatores

:o

Klaus overstayed his welcome on TVD so if this gets him outta there then cool

Klaus overstayed his welcome on TVD so if this gets him outta there then cool

You can tell the writers are afraid to actually get rid of the Originals. They are their plot safety blanket. It's very amateur.

I have to say, though, I am a bit disappointed they never went forward with the spinoff idea Kevin Williamson and Julie Plec had around season two, that would center on college students studying parapsychology at Duke, where Elena's birth mother taught.

You can tell the writers are afraid to actually get rid of the Originals. They are their plot safety blanket. It's very amateur.

It's really annoying.
-Yeah we can kill Klaus now
-Oh wait we cant
-But now we can kill him
-False alarm
-Yeah we finally killed him
-But he transferred his mind into someone else's body.

I think the actor is good and there are tons of good moments with Klaus. But it has gotten to be a bit much with him and how they keep working with him. I hope the spin-off does well, for Joseph Morgan's sake at least.

But for TVD do get better I do think they need to stop with Klaus.

I have to say, though, I am a bit disappointed they never went forward with the spinoff idea Kevin Williamson and Julie Plec had around season two, that would center on college students studying parapsychology at Duke, where Elena's birth mother taught.

That wouldve been a cool idea

Not v to mention you can make a drinking game out of how many times can rebekah get staked and put v to bed.

Didn't they try to do a spin-off already with that Secret Circle show?

That wasn't a spinoff. Just another series by the same author as the TVD novels.

I'm reminded of Angel when it spun-off from Buffy. There, Whedon decided to split the cast up - sending a number of the less featured/developed characters from the original show over to the new one. Which is a clever move all around. Not only did it give the shows more time to develop said characters, it also gave fans more reason to follow the spin-off as well.

I wonder of TVD will do the same with its spin-off. If so, who would they be? It would be perfect timing, IMO since this season, I believe the characters should be graduating. If so, who would it be? The ones that immediately come to mind would be Matt or Bonnie - alongside Klaus and Hayley - since the show always never seemed to have the time to develop or know what to do with them. Of the two, Bonnie seems more fitting since I believe there would be Bennett witches in New Orleans (not to mention the description mentioned that New Orleans was a "supernatural melting pot") and allow her to have to deal with bigger level threats that she wouldn't otherwise face due to TVD's setting, tone and format. Her continued stay in Mystic Falls just winds up turning her into the deus ex machina to fix whatever new problem Elena faces.

P.S.: Just noticed that the description specifically mentioned it being set in the French Quarter and that it would feature a new character named Marcel. Given the name and context, I reckon the character will speak with a French accent as well. And it being New Orleans, I'd expect some Voodoo or Hoodoo practitioners thrown into the mix as well. So, between this Marcel, the inevitable Voodoo priests, Joseph Morgan and Phoebe Tonkin, this show could probably just be called "Spot the Accent". :D

Last edited:
I actually just had a thought about what the basis of the series could be...
This season's story has been all about finding the vampire cure, with the supposed endgame being that Elena gets it... but what if they use it on Klaus instead? Strip him of his vampirism and not only is he no longer a vampire, but he's no longer and Original and is nothing but a human werewolf (perhaps where Tonkin's character factors in). I think there are story possibilities there. I understand why you guys want him out of TVD's hair, and for the most part, I agree. But honestly, the possibilities in my mind of what this spinoff could offer excites me a helluva lot more than whatever TVD might do from here on out.

i like klaus but he is slowly becoming the sylar of vampire diaries.

Ehhh... in terms of overstaying their welcome, maybe. In terms of sheer annoyingness based on the inability to discern whether they're the hero or the villain, I'd have to disagree.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/mar...s-spinoff-wonder-woman-the-aging-cw-audience/
While the CW is yet to order its first pilot this season, it already has a serious contender for next fall in The Originals, a Vampire Diaries backdoor pilot centered on Klaus (Joseph Morgan) and the Original family of vampires living in New Orleans. “You’ll have the melting pot of New Orleans and deal with a lot of voodoo and everything that goes with it,” Pedowitz said, adding that he is a “big believer that if you have something that works you can use it incubate other shows.”

Goddammit! They just keep having to use that word, don't they?

Now, every time I see this thread, I keep thinking that Klaus and Hayley are getting some backdoor action this spring. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"