The CW eyes The Vampire Diaries spinoff "The Originals"

Well a slong as this means no more watering down of threat of Klaus and a return of Katharine to VD I am all for It.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/01/16/vampire-diaries-originals-spinoff-julie-plec/
Julie Plec talks potential 'Vampire Diaries' spinoff, 'The Originals' (and Klaus' 'hard-partying' protege Marcel)
by Mandi Bierly

Last week, news broke that the CW was actively developing a Vampire Diaries spinoff with showrunner Julie Plec that would center on Klaus (Joseph Morgan) — working title The Originals — and that the April 25 episode of TVD would serve as a backdoor pilot. Though she doesn’t want to say too much about a show with a fate unknown, EW was able to get a few teases from her.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: The idea of doing a spinoff has been around for a while. Why was the time right to pull the trigger?
JULIE PLEC: It’s actually something that we’ve been talking about for two years, that we contemplated trying to get off its feet last year, but there was just too much work to do in too little time. So that gave us an opportunity this year to spend a lot more time putting it together — seeing if, obviously, our actors had any interest whatsoever continuing the life of these characters [Laughs] and if there was a story to tell. It all came together in a way that we finally felt would not detract from our most important baby right now, The Vampire Diaries, and would give us a chance to expand the universe with characters that we’ve had another year to get to know.

What can you tease about the April 25 episode?
The idea is that a turn of events in Mystic Falls sends Klaus to New Orleans to solve a mystery. He gets word that some people are making a move against him that might concern him. So he heads to New Orleans to try to figure who’s plotting against him and what they’re up to. And in unfolding that mystery, it takes him back to a town that several hundred years ago, he was actually one of the original settlers of and helped build. He reacquaints himself with a vampire that he actually turned back in the day, Marcel, who has created a whole set of rules and a whole society for the supernatural community that he’s in charge of — sort of tipping his hat to Klaus and saying, “You taught me everything I know.” So Klaus’ protegé is now the big king of the supernatural community in New Orleans and Klaus is stepping back into that.

Have you cast Marcel?
No, we start casting, I think, in the next week or two.

How would you describe him?
He is the life of the party. He is diabolical, and dangerous, and he is a rock star. If anything, he’s that kind of hard-partying, hard-living vampire who knows how to enjoy the most out of life in the French Quarter.

And so if it were to go to series, New Orleans would remain the setting.
Yes. When I talked about it to the network and the studio, I said, “In its own way, the French Quarter, with its less than 3,000 inhabitants, is the ultimate small town.” So it’s still a small-town story, it’s just a town that we all know pretty well. We all have our own party fantasy that we’ve either lived or wanted to live in New Orleans.

Fans have been wondering what could keep Klaus occupied, and how Hayley (Phoebe Tonkin) will get involved.
That is all part of the big mystery. I will say no one should assume anything about the way this is gonna play out, because with luck, it will be a nice surprise for everybody.

Would there be a role for Elijah (Daniel Gillies) in the spinoff, because there needs to be.
Oh, in the world of Julie Plec [Laughs] and her obsession with Daniel Gillies, there is always a role for Elijah. It’s only a matter of whether in Daniel Gillies’ world there is an interest in having a job with Julie Plec. But I can hope the answer is yes.

So you have talked to him about the possibility.
Yes. Absolutely. You’d have to ask him where he stands…. By the way, make sure it’s clear that I’m being ironic when I refer to myself in the first person. [Laughs]

What about Rebekah (Claire Holt)? She’s back in the picture this Thursday, when TVD returns with new episodes, but she and Klaus aren’t exactly happy with one other.
Right now, she’s really mad at him, and their relationship has several more mountains to climb in the next, even, five episodes, much less a future series. I think she’s another character that would be a tremendous asset to both shows. So it really all comes down to Rebekah’s future, and Claire’s future with Rebekah, and all that stuff that remains undetermined.

Would you have the title of showrunner on both shows?
I think. Truthfully, we haven’t talked about that other than that I would likely share that title with Caroline Dries on The Vampire Diaries and then be the showrunner on The Originals. The great thing about The Vampire Diaries is that Caroline has really come into her own over the three-plus years she’s been on the show and is a terrific leader, and an amazing writer, and knows the show inside and out. So I would still be there every step of the way, but she would be taking on a lot more responsibility than she already has. And Mike Narducci, who’s someone else who’s been very important on The Vampire Diaries, would come over to The Originals and take up the mantle there. So with luck, two brilliant people who’ve grown up in a Vampire Diaries universe can continue to be brilliant as we split it over two shows.

Last edited:
http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/dan...in-the-vampire-diaries-spinoff-the-originals/
Daniel Gillies Set As A Lead In ‘The Vampire Diaries’ Spinoff ‘The Originals’
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

Another Vampire Diaries standout is headed to the potential spinoff series. Daniel Gillies is set to star opposite Joseph Morgan and Phoebe Tonkin in The Originals, which will be introduced as an upcoming episode of Vampire Diaries that will air April 25, serving as a potential backdoor pilot. All three are reprising their roles from the original series as the spinoff is keeping the three-lead — two vampire brothers and a girl — formula of Vampire Diaries. The only difference is that the female lead, Hayley (Tonkin), is not an ordinary teenager like Vampire Diaries‘ Elena but a werewolf. In addition to his recurring role on Vampire Diaries, which he has played since Season 2, Canadian-born Gillies also stars on the Canadian medical drama Saving Hope. If The Originals goes to series, he will do both shows.

Written by Vampire Diaries co-creator/executive producer Julie Plec, The Originals centers on the Original family of vampires, as Klaus (Morgan) returns to the supernatural melting pot that is the French Quarter of New Orleans — a town he helped build centuries ago — and is reunited with his diabolical former protégé Marcel. Elijah (Gillies), intent on helping his self-destructive brother find redemption, must side with Marcel’s enemies in order to keep Klaus in line. Plec will write the backdoor pilot episode and executive produce Originals with Alloy Entertainment’s Leslie Morgenstein and Gina Girolamo for Alloy, Warner Bros TV and CBS TV Studios. Gillies is repped by APA and KLWG Entertainment.
Best news I've heard about this yet. :up:

I'm so there on this, man it's gonna be ****ing awesome. I have wanted this show since the originals showed up.

I keep seeing fangirls *****ing about a spinoff breaking up Klaus and Caroline... are these girls complete idiots? :o

I'm glad Elijah's in, otherwise I would've skipped this

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/01/29/vampire-diaries-spinoff-flashbacks/
'Vampire Diaries' spinoff may use regular flashbacks
by James Hibberd

The CW’s Vampire Diaries spinoff won’t just takes viewers to New Orleans, it’ll also go back in time.

As fans know, writer-producer Julie Plec’s upcoming backdoor-pilot episode of Vampire Diaries will serve as the launch pad for a potential spin-off series and will be set in the present day. But if greenlit to series, she also hopes to include regular flashbacks going back decades or even centuries, possibly quite like the flagship show. “It will be about both the contemporary [story] — where we are now and what we are up to — and also will flash back to show what the f–k happened to us to bring us to this moment,” said co-star Daniel Gillies on the red carpet for EW’s annual SAG party in Los Angeles last weekend.

Sources close to the show say Plec’s current plan is to use flashbacks to explore New Orleans up through the early 20th Century when Klaus and his family left the city behind. It’s yet not clear, however, how frequent those flashbacks will be and whether the storytelling style will ultimately be different than Vampire Diaries. For instance, The CW’s Arrow flashes back to Oliver Queen’s five years spent marooned on an island in each episode, while TVD semi-regularly uses flashbacks, including to tell the origin story of The Original Family in the show’s third season.

“Julie Plec has been talking about this for a little while and to be honest with you, I never thought it was going to become a reality,” Gillies added about the spinoff. “I just thought it was a cool idea she threw around and I did not dare to dream that it would come to fruition. I knew that if it did, we would be a part of it, but I didn’t want to get ahead of myself. But I feel very blessed that it is closer to becoming a reality now.”

Gillies also joked about the number of times his character Elijah has gotten staked on the show. “Four times I got staked so far,” he said. “I was always like, “What the f–k? Why do you keep staking me? What’s wrong with Elijah? Is it his jackets?” Hopefully in the spinoff there will be no more staking for Elijah.”

The Originals will shoot in New Orleans and Atlanta and air Thursday. April 25. For more on the spinoff, see Mandi Bierly’s recent interview with Plec here.
God, I'm too pumped for this. I really hope it's more sophisticated than TVD in that it (hopefully) doesn't rely as much on a love triangle. This could be the perfect combo of supernatural soap opera and family crime drama. Like Dark Shadows meets The Sopranos. :o:up:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/01/29/vampire-diaries-spinoff-flashbacks/

God, I'm too pumped for this. I really hope it's more sophisticated than TVD in that it (hopefully) doesn't rely as much on a love triangle. This could be the perfect combo of supernatural soap opera and family crime drama. Like Dark Shadows meets The Sopranos. :o:up:

Maybe I'm being hopelessly optimistic but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. I always felt that the show's creators were more interested in developing the mythos/setting and exploring the sibling relationship of the Salvatore Brothers, while the love triangle was more a holdover from the original book's premise and CW directive. With TVD's success and the series being an original concept, Plec and her team should hopefully have more creative freedom to focus on what they want.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/vampire-diaries-spinoff-the-originals-casts-a-witch/
‘Vampire Diaries’ Spinoff ‘The Originals’ Casts A Witch
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

EXCLUSIVE: Daniella Pineda (Fitzgerald Family Christmas) has landed a regular role in the potential Vampire Diaries spinoff The Originals, which will be introduced as an upcoming episode of TVD that airs April 25. The Originals stars TVD’ Joseph Morgan, Daniel Gillies and Phoebe Tonkin reprising their roles. Written by TVD co-creator/executive producer Julie Plec, The Originals centers on the Original family of vampires, as Klaus (Morgan) returns to the supernatural melting pot that is the French Quarter of New Orleans — a town he helped build centuries ago — and is reunited with his diabolical former protégé Marcel. Elijah (Gillies), intent on helping his self-destructive brother find redemption, must side with Marcel’s enemies in order to keep Klaus in line. Pineda will play Sophie, a witch whose magic has been silenced but not snuffed. A leader and a sexy, sharp-tongued social force, she is quietly sowing the seeds of a revolution amongst her peers. Pineda, repped by Innovative and manager Kristen Ames, co-starred in the NBC pilot Midnight Sun last season and recently guest starred on Showtime’s Homeland.

Have some actully been watching the Vampire Diaires?Caroline has no Intrest In Klaus.I
wish she did since I consider her and Tyler a very boring paring.

Holy hell! A witch that isnt black.

Klaus had a non-black witch working for him near the end of S2 that Damon killed. But yeah, this is only two out of, like, THIRTY. :o

And then there's Esther, of course.

Klaus had a non-black witch working for him near the end of S2 that Damon killed. But yeah, this is only two out of, like, THIRTY. :o

And then there's Esther, of course.

Though to be fair, most of the witches we've seen are from the same two clans...

http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/cha...in-‘vampire-diaries’-spinoff-‘the-originals’/
Charles Michael Davis Lands Key Role In ‘Vampire Diaries’ Spinoff ‘The Originals’
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

EXCLUSIVE: Charles Michael Davis (The Game) is set to co-star opposite The Vampire Diaries‘ Joseph Morgan, Daniel Gillies and Phoebe Tonkin in the potential TVD spinoff The Originals, which will be introduced as an upcoming episode of TVD that airs April 25. Written by TVD co-creator/executive producer Julie Plec, The Originals centers on the Original family of vampires, as Klaus (Morgan) returns to the supernatural melting pot that is the French Quarter of New Orleans — a town he helped build centuries ago — and is reunited with his diabolical former protégé Marcel (Davis). Wicked, wild and charismatic, Marcel is a former kicked -around street rat who now calls the shots in the supernatural playground of New Orleans. As a modern-day vampire, he’s fierce and bold, able to accomplish as much with his charm as he is with his strength. Elijah (Gillies), intent on helping his self-destructive brother find redemption, must side with Marcel’s enemies in order to keep Klaus in line. Like Morgan and Gillies, Tonkin also is reprising her role from TVD. Davis joins fellow Daniella Pineda who also has been cast in The Originals as a regular. Davis, repped by Peter Strain & Assoc. and Mary Erickson, is filming a recurring role on ABC’s Grey’s Anatomy and also recurred on ABC Family’s Switched at Birth.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/dan...e-diaries-spinoff-chin-han-to-recur-on-arrow/
Danielle Campbell (Prison Break) is the latest new regular cast in the potential Vampire Diaries spinoff The Originals, which will be introduced in the April 25 episode of the CW drama. Written by TVD co-creator/executive producer Julie Plec, The Originals centers on the Original family of vampires, as Klaus (Joseph Morgan) returns to the supernatural melting pot that is the French Quarter of New Orleans — a town he helped build centuries ago — and is reunited with his diabolical former protégé Marcel (Charles Michael Davis). Campbell, repped by CESD and Evolution, will play Davina, a young witch who has been over-sheltered by her protective caregivers.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/dan...e-diaries-spinoff-chin-han-to-recur-on-arrow/

Danielle Campbell (Prison Break) is the latest new regular cast in the potential Vampire Diaries spinoff The Originals, which will be introduced in the April 25 episode of the CW drama. Written by TVD co-creator/executive producer Julie Plec, The Originals centers on the Original family of vampires, as Klaus (Joseph Morgan) returns to the supernatural melting pot that is the French Quarter of New Orleans — a town he helped build centuries ago — and is reunited with his diabolical former protégé Marcel (Charles Michael Davis). Campbell, repped by CESD and Evolution, will play Davina, a young witch who has been over-sheltered by her protective caregivers.

Uh oh... judging from the 'over-sheltered by her protective caregivers' part and her age, I'm guessing she's to be the show's "Elena" (i.e. audience surrogate).

Well, at least her witchiness suggest that she'll at least be able to do something. :woot:

2 witches? people complain enough about the one witch on vampire diaries.

Last edited:
That's really more to do with the character than the fact that she's a witch, though...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/vampire-diaries-spinoff-originals-adds-420714
'Vampire Diaries' Spinoff 'The Originals' Adds 'Sorority Row' Actress (Exclusive)
5:37 PM PST 2/11/2013 by Lesley Goldberg

Leah Pipes will play the central role of Camille in the back-door pilot from executive producer Julie Plec.

The CW's Vampire Diaries back-door pilot has added a mortal foil to its ranks.

Sorority Row actress Leah Pipes has booked the lead human role in The Originals, The Hollywood Reporter has learned exclusively.

The Originals revolves around Klaus (Joseph Morgan), who returns to the supernatural melting pot that is the French Quarter of New Orleans, a town he helped build centuries ago, where he is reunited with his diabolical former protege Marcel (The Game's Charles Michael Davis).

Pipes, whose credits also include Life is Wild and The Deep End, will play Camille, a college psychology student fascinated by the study of human behavior unaware of the supernatural universe that exists around her.

She joins Daniel Gillies and Phoebe Tonkin, who will reprise their roles as Original vampire Elijah and werewolf Hayley, respectively, Daniella Pineda and Danielle Campbell who will play witches named Sophie and Davina, respectively.

The planted pilot will air April 25 as an episode of The Vampire Diaries. Showrunner Julie Plec will pen the script for Warner Bros. Television.

Pipes, who next appears in feature The Devil's Rapture, is repped by Gersh and Untitled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"