The Dark Knight The Dark Knight Fan Review Thread

Or besides the clear fact that Gordon asks Batman who he is going after and Batman says "Rachel" and then the look of disappointment on Batman's face when he finds Dent instead of her.

Overall this was a good movie and I liked it. That being said I can point out a million different things that were wrong with it, enough to make everybody get off there knee pads. But the one thing that I really would have liked to have seen, would have been a flash back to batman begins. I think it would have worked really well to tie back in, when batman tosses joker off the roof and hesitates for a second deciding whether or not to save him...They should have cut back to the train sequence in BB to Ra's al guhls line "have you finally learned to do what is necessary". It just would have been like poetry in motion or pick your analogy but it would have been a great tie in to the story there (batmans personal struggle to kill or not and joker trying to make him). As a matter of fact as much foreshadowing as they did in that movie, it wouldn't have hurt to have a few flashbacks from BB (short ones tho).
That's the dumbest thing i've ever heard.

The Dark Knight hits a new epic level of cinema, for the comic book genre as well as the crime genre (and don’t forget the marketing campaign). The Dark Knight tackles themes from its predecessor (Batman Begins, 2005) and expands them to new horizons.

The film starts off with an elaborately planned bank heist. Thieves donning clown masks rob one of the most prestigious banks in Gotham City, but little do they know it’s actually a mob bank. The grand schemer of this heist is none other than the Joker (Heath Ledger).

The Joker holds the money ransom, bribing the mob bosses into giving him half the entire share if he can eliminate the Batman (Christian Bale). The mob intially turns down the Joker's offer. Meanwhile, Batman is hot on the trail of both the various mob bosses and the Joker himself. Batman, with the aid of Police Lt. James Gordon (Gary Oldman) and Gotham's new District Attorney Harvey Dent (Aaron Eckhart), Batman begins to to bring the mob bosses to justice. But he takes it to a new level. His faithful butler Alfred (Michael Caine) warns him of his limits, not wanting to see his friend push things to far.

How far is too far? The Dark Knight brings up various questions, such as 'does the ends justify the means?' It also brings up a psychological thesis on the border between madness and sanity. The Joker attempts to cripple the good guys by destroying all that they care about. "Madness," he says, "is like gravity: all it takes is a little push."

Words cannot describe Heath Ledger's performance. By now, I'm sure that most of you reading this review have already seen the film (as most of the people in the world have), so me describing how magnificent his performance was will seem a little redundant. But for those of you who haven't seen it yet, Ledger's performance is one for the books. He brought something new to the character: he wasn't Romero, he wasn't Nicholson, he wasn't Hamill, and he wasn't even Ledger. He was the Joker. He completely transformed himself into the character, creating the antithesis of Batman. This reviewer really hopes for a Best Supporting Actor nomination at the very least.

Other notable performances include the supporting cast. This film succeeds because of the supporting characters, who play as large a role as Batman and Joker do. Gary Oldman really portrays the future Police Comissioner as if straight from the comics, but he offers a great emotional range, showing compassion for both his friends, allies, and family. Aaron Eckhart really steals the show in the latter half. For those of you familiar with the character of Harvey Dent, then you are well aware of his doomed fate. Michael Caine provides some well needed comic relief, as does Morgan Freeman. Christian Bale isn't given too much to say in this film, but it's his characters actions that define him. Maggie Gyllenhal is really just a one note performance but she's miles better than Katie Holmes was in Begins.

The Dark Knight is a great film that works on all levels. Christopher Nolan and crew really delivered. The film is more than a superhero movie: it's a character drama, a tragedy, a social commentary.

It's a film to remember.

Grade: A+

Overall this was a good movie and I liked it. That being said I can point out a million different things that were wrong with it, enough to make everybody get off there knee pads. But the one thing that I really would have liked to have seen, would have been a flash back to batman begins. I think it would have worked really well to tie back in, when batman tosses joker off the roof and hesitates for a second deciding whether or not to save him...They should have cut back to the train sequence in BB to Ra's al guhls line "have you finally learned to do what is necessary". It just would have been like poetry in motion or pick your analogy but it would have been a great tie in to the story there (batmans personal struggle to kill or not and joker trying to make him). As a matter of fact as much foreshadowing as they did in that movie, it wouldn't have hurt to have a few flashbacks from BB (short ones tho).

This movie is not Highlander. Flashback not necessary

BB had the flashbacks because of telling Bruce's past, we didn't need that in TDK and certainly we don't need it in BB3.

Yea it should be clear to everyone that Nolan doesn't spoon feed us plot points and such. Why would we need to be reminded about what happened in BB with a flashback? It is already clear Batman is conflicted about whether to kill Joker or not, no silly little flashback required. Unless you have the memory of a goldfish. :D

I think
that there were too many characteres and storylines going on in the Dark Knight. Lack of exposition, or, as you call it, too little spoon feeding, maybe? You had to draw your own conclusions all the time. I didn't know/understand that there were several mob groupings until I read The Long Halloween and Dark Victory.

Last edited:
I know what you mean, but i think its pretty interesting to watch a movie and be able to have your own ideas about it. And I don't think you should have to read the comics to understand there will be different mob groups, thats how it is in real life. There was three different mobs in TDK, they only came together because Batman forced them to work together.

That's the dumbest thing i've ever heard.
:lmao: I love how some of you guys pull no punches.

I think
that there were too many characteres and storylines going on in the Dark Knight. Lack of exposition, or, as you call it, too little spoon feeding, maybe? You had to draw your own conclusions all the time. I didn't know/understand that there were several mob groupings until I read The Long Halloween and Dark Victory.
Too little spoon-feeding is usually a good thing, no? :cwink:

Knowing that there were three separate mob factions wasn't necessary to understand TDK's story. All you needed to know was that Gambol, the Chechen, and Maroni were mob leaders of some sort.

I look at the mobs like this. Maroni is in charge of all the traditional mafia stuff like racketeering and protection, The Chechen runs the drug and arms trade and Gambol is head of gambling and prostitution or something.

Knowing that there were three separate mob factions wasn't necessary to understand TDK's story. All you needed to know was that Gambol, the Chechen, and Maroni were mob leaders of some sort.

I know it isn't necessary, but I didn't even get there were three DIFFERENT :p But I'm not a native English-speaker, so most of my information relies on subtitles.

You know, when Rachel talks to Harvey after the gun threat in court..
The film stays on the outside. We never learn what's inside people's heads, or their thoughts. I'm not saying it is a bad thing, it is the style of the film. The camera is totally on the outside, snapping snippets of events and conversation as they are carried out. "In medias res". That is what I meant, sometimes it was difficult to understand what was happening.

I know it isn't necessary, but I didn't even get there were three DIFFERENT :p But I'm not a native English-speaker, so most of my information relies on subtitles.

You know, when Rachel talks to Harvey after the gun threat in court..
The film stays on the outside. We never learn what's inside people's heads, or their thoughts. I'm not saying it is a bad thing, it is the style of the film. The camera is totally on the outside, snapping snippets of events and conversation as they are carried out. "In medias res". That is what I meant, sometimes it was difficult to understand what was happening.
Don't worry. The definitive Batman movie is yet to be made. And when it is made, it won't have near as many flaws as The Dark Knight had.

The definitive Batman movie will be made by a filmmaker who won't stuff everything into one film, assuming it is his last film. IT will be made by a filmmaker who understands that a good story is all about 'less is more.' And that heavy CGI is not necessary...(Bat-pod flip, Two-Face face, ferry boats, bat sonar, etc. - hint, hint). The day is coming - the definitive BAtman movie is yet to be made.

What in gods name are you talking about? There was barely any CGI in TDK. And these flaws you speak of are your opinion, and not many others. I found the movie easy to understand, there wasn't too many people in it and the plot wasn't overly stuffed. But thats MY OPINION. Less is more? Yea your right, thats why Nolan didn't spoon feed us everything.

I would break it down for the simple people but I really can't be arsed.

The definitive Batman movie will be made by a filmmaker who won't stuff everything into one film, assuming it is his last film. IT will be made by a filmmaker who understands that a good story is all about 'less is more.' And that heavy CGI is not necessary...(Bat-pod flip, Two-Face face, ferry boats, bat sonar, etc. - hint, hint). The day is coming - the definitive BAtman movie is yet to be made.

Tell me which scenes had CGI? There is no definitive Batman movie and never will be. Bat-movies like comics everyone has their favourite comic writer so incase Nolan is the writer, doing his version of Dark Knight. You either love it or hate it.

Don't worry. The definitive Batman movie is yet to be made. And when it is made, it won't have near as many flaws as The Dark Knight had.

No movie is perfect, every movie has a flaw.

the only CGI done in the film was Harvey's face. Everything else was actually done. It has been stated many times by the director, the actors, and anyone else involved that all things were done for real. the batpod and batmobile actually do work, and if you dont believe you can make a car like that which actually works go find the thread of the guy who is actually building one now. yes even the scene with the plane thata carried Batmabn out of the building in China was real. not sure where u are seeing all this heavy cgi

He probs doesn't, that Harrygucha just likes winding people up I think. He wants some attention, don't give it to him.

the only CGI done in the film was Harvey's face. Everything else was actually done. It has been stated many times by the director, the actors, and anyone else involved that all things were done for real. the batpod and batmobile actually do work, and if you dont believe you can make a car like that which actually works go find the thread of the guy who is actually building one now. yes even the scene with the plane thata carried Batmabn out of the building in China was real. not sure where u are seeing all this heavy cgi
Well, if you read the FX article you will find that:

The penthouse was completely CGI. (I didn't mind this as it looked awesome)

The ferries were completely CGI.

The batpod flip was CGI.

The batpod riding away from the exploding batmobile was CGI.

The bat sonar machine and monitors were complete CGI (The worst scene in the film).

The bat sonar POV and lenses were completely CGI (One of the lamest scenes in the movie.)

The two-Face face was Completely CGI (Looked like a cartoon.)

The shot of all the cars backed up in the city, trying to evacuate was CGI.

The extras on the ferries were CGI. Just kidding, but their acting was extremely wooden and terrible.

The first hour of TDK was a masterpiece. NOT the entire movie. Way too many flaws.

Nolan started the film as a REAL, TRAGIC, STORY, which slowly turned into a implausible cartoon. Maybe he'll learn next time.

Cheesie lines and terrible acting at the end by the extras:

"Hey, man! We should be on that boat!"

"Let's put it to a vote!"

"Those men had their chance."

"So, go ahead. DO IT!" Whoopie Goldberg was awesome!

What did Nolan tel these actors? Overact as much as possible!

At the end, I was waiting for Gordon to say: "It's okay, HArvey. We have Final Cut Pro. We can just edit out your CGI face, and you'll be normal again."

That isn't alot of CGI if you compare it to recent super-hero movies. This film might be set in a realistic world but it is still a FANTASY film!! How is that hard to understand?

All these things are your opinion, just because you think Two-Face looks like a cartoon doesn't mean it's true. In fact how else was Two-Face supposed to look? Like Gerard Butler in Phantom?

That isn't alot of CGI if you compare it to recent super-hero movies. This film might be set in a realistic world but it is still a FANTASY film!! How is that hard to understand?

All these things are your opinion, just because you think Two-Face looks like a cartoon doesn't mean it's true. In fact how else was Two-Face supposed to look? Like Gerard Butler in Phantom?

Well, if you read the FX article you will find that:

The penthouse was completely CGI. (I didn't mind this as it looked awesome)

The ferries were completely CGI.

The batpod flip was CGI.

The batpod riding away from the exploding batmobile was CGI.

The bat sonar machine and monitors were complete CGI (The worst scene in the film).

The bat sonar POV and lenses were completely CGI (One of the lamest scenes in the movie.)

The two-Face face was Completely CGI (Looked like a cartoon.)

The shot of all the cars backed up in the city, trying to evacuate was CGI.

The extras on the ferries were CGI. Just kidding, but their acting was extremely wooden and terrible.

The first hour of TDK was a masterpiece. NOT the entire movie. Way too many flaws.

Nolan started the film as a REAL, TRAGIC, STORY, which slowly turned into a implausible cartoon. Maybe he'll learn next time.

Cheesie lines and terrible acting at the end by the extras:

"Hey, man! We should be on that boat!"

"Let's put it to a vote!"

"Those men had their chance."

"So, go ahead. DO IT!" Whoopie Goldberg was awesome!

What did Nolan tel these actors? Overact as much as possible!

At the end, I was waiting for Gordon to say: "It's okay, HArvey. We have Final Cut Pro. We can just edit out your CGI face, and you'll be normal again."

Nolan and Co must have done good job cos not once I thought about Harvey's face was a CGI.

You're just nit picking things up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"