1.  2022 SuperHeroHype Awards

The 2022 Hype Award Season, hosted by Lily Adler and ComicChick is officially live!

Voting is now over! Stay tuned for the awards ceremony!

The SuperHeroHype Awards

The Eternals General Disscussion and Speculation thread

Discussion in 'Eternals' started by Speed Force, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Batmannerism Super-unknown

Actually I think "IKARIS WAS RIGHT!" is a better t shirt idea.

He has a reasonably strong "greater-good" argument, as the Earth Celestial, Tiamut, would have created countless star systems, and probably trillions of living things - compared to the sacrifice of 7 billion humans.

2. Spider-Aziz Dummy Dragon Holo

Wa Alaikum Assalam, friend. :yay:

I'm starting to think the person who said this was better off without the continuity of the MCU attached to it was right. Sorry to say I forgot who said that. :O

Thanks for the interesting and engaging replies everyone. :yay:

Batmannerism likes this.
  3. Hannibal75 Registered

Ι said that Eternals should have been a standalone film with no connections to the MCU. That was its biggest flaw IMHO.

4. Deck Rickard #HeadlessSuperman

Yeah you know, since Marvel had these multiverse plans, it might have been better to set Eternals in an entirely separate reality so they wouldn’t have felt the need to periodically cram in references to Thanos and Iron Man and all that. It also would make them look a little better as characters since they wouldn’t have sat out when Thanos almost destroyed half the life in the universe.

Then they could have brought them into the broader MCU later if it worked out.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  5. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

This kind of thing is why people need to be reminded that Act Utilitarianism is BS, and that there's a reason Rule Utilitarianism was invented. :p

6. Prison Mike Don't drop the soap!

Drizzle likes this.
  7. Drizzle Registered

Before Christmas would have been a little too soon since it'll still be in a good amount of theaters. I guess the pattern is now going to be streaming on Disney+ two months after theatrical release with a physical 4K/Blu-ray/DVD release 2-3 weeks later, like it was with Shang-Chi.

8. Kev4000 Registered

Marvel section will very dry in Jan/Feb for the Marvel section on D+, so it make sense they push this in January.

9. Joined:
    Aug 19, 2004
    Not really. Subscribers are also utilizing it for older content.

10. Albright No soup for you!

11. Albright No soup for you!

12. HammerDown High Tide Or Low Tide

Looking forward to seeing this and check what the fuss was all about. It was actually one of my most anticipated comic book movies of last year.

13. Holy Slapper Registered

I can't wait to watch the IMAX Enhanced version. Deleted scenes are also out. RMB said on Campea's show that he's seen two, Sprite was in both of them, and he said "Why were these cut?"

Albright likes this.
  14. TheFuture Valar Dohaeris

Just watched it there at my own pace. Worked much better for me than in the cinema for some reason.

15. Prison Mike Don't drop the soap!

I’ll be watching this soon, maybe over the weekend. Looking forward to it!

Venom 1988 likes this.
  16. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

I just watched it again today myself, and yep...I still like this movie a lot. I aint getting into the debate of whether it's box office take necessitates a sequel or not. I do hope it gets one though. Whether it be a D+ sequel or a theatrical one.

Venom 1988, InCali and Kev4000 like this.
  17. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

As I've said before, it flowed more smoothly on the second viewing than it did the first. It wasn't that it was hard to follow (though I did pick up some on the second viewing), but just seemed to fit better.

18. chintai80 oh hi.

just finished watching this last night.
    i can see why many critics / viewers had a problem with it, but i appreciated the scope, ambition and themes of this.
    it was very different from the usual mcu film.
    for me the issue was mainly pacing and trying to cram in so many characters you're introducing in under 3 hours.

as others have said, this would've been really good if they did it as a disney+ 8 episode mini-series.
    then you can flesh out characters' motivations and arcs.

the story needed to be told through slow burn but 2.5 hours wasn't enough.

i do hope they continue this story whether through other follow up films or a series on d+ (imo, a series would be better).

i probably need to have a 2nd viewing of this to see if my opinion changes.

19. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

It did for me. I rather enjoyed the first viewing, but agree with your post. I found that the pacing seemed much better when I saw it again and really appreciated it much more. That being said, that's not a successful recipe for a theatrical release and, TBH, I'm not too sure that stretching it out is the answer. I think it's possible that introducing that many characters is an issue in general. The Avengers avoided that problem with IM, CA, an Thor movies.

chintai80 likes this.
  20. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

I thought the pacing in the movie was fine. I think dragging it out longer would have made a lot of redundant scenes. That said, I do think a series sequel would be fine if they deem a movie not financially viable. But it must be said, Shang-Chi is getting a sequel and a show potentially, and yet that only made 32 mil more than Eternals

chintai80 likes this.
  21. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

I didn't think the pacing was horrible by any stretch of the imagination, but felt it could have been better and improved with the second viewing. I think I'll watch it again on D+. I think whether there is a sequel or not will depend more on the narrative Marvel wants for phase 4 rather than BO numbers.

22. #root Registered

Finally was able to watch this and I really liked it. It looks absolutely beautiful and while it’s not flawless, I think the good outweighs the bad here. I think the biggest flaw for me is definitely
    that this movie doesn’t make you care about Ikaris. At all. He’s unlikeable on his own and he has zero chemistry with Sersi. It’s tough to buy into this millennia long love story when Kit Harrington as Dane Whitman is infinitely more likeable in his brief screen time than Madden’s stoic, clearly-not-the-good-guy portrayal of Ikaris. I mean it felt like their romance just consisted of Ikaris staring creepily at Sersi while standing next to her, professing his love and then ****ing immediately. I know it’s 5000 years or whatever but the way it’s shown in the movie is just not effective at making you care for their romance.

Plus they kinda spoiled the twist in the trailers when they showed Ajax explaining the emergence to him in the trailers. I got bad vibes from him in the beginning but then when they got to Ajak’s home and found her dead, I knew he was evil.

The rest of the cast was great. I loved Makkari and Druig and I need a Disney Plus series with them both immediately. Gemma Chan was great and I want to see more of Sersi with Dane Whitman. Kit Harrington really did a great job in his brief role. Jolie was great too and I want to see more of her. I’ll miss Don Lee’s Gilgamesh. One thing I didn’t like was Kingo’s Bollywood history. That was just… eh. And Nanjiani did a good job but I didn’t like most of the jokes they gave him.

Oh and
    I don’t care for Harry Styles or Eros so that mid-credits scene left a sour taste in my mouth. The one with the Harrington was cool though. Can’t wait to see what happens with him and Blade :ninja:.

Edit: Oh and at one point,
    this movie almost became like a snuff film to me :funny:. After Ajak and Gilgamesh’s deaths, when Druig and Thena almost got killed, I was about to flip out but thankfully they survived.

#2722 #root, Jan 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  23. Ultra Nolanite Registered

Just caught this on D+ and I'll say this, I enjoyed it more than Spider-man No Way Home and Shang-Chi

No way is this the worst Marvel movie ever when we have the 2 Ant Man movies, Thor 2, Iron Man 3, GOTG 2 and Black Widow out there.

I think this movie was better than those and even better than a bunch of other Marvel movies not listed above.

7+

24. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

If I had to make a guess, Zhao probably came up with a really good overall story outline. . . that would have taken four hours to actually execute, because it effectively had two entire three-act structures. Trying to turn it into a single reasonable length movie is the source of most of the flaws. Why is Sersi so bland except in the intro/outro? Because her role got cut to the barest functional bones to fit everyone else in. Why the two bits of rather bizarre and clunky exposition? As a patch to fit in backstory and reveals that they just didn't have time to include naturally. Why are the Deviants so irrelevant and their boss almost nameless? Because they were the Big Bad of the first Act 3, and they had to cut out pretty much the entirety of that from the movie. Etc.

For reference, my guess about the original story outline:

Act 1- Intro to the main Eternals in the present day and arrival of the Deviant threat

Act 2- Travel the world, gather the gang together

Act 3- United, face and defeat the Deviant menace, but in doing so learn the threat is not that simple

Act 4- Investigate this new info, discover uncomfortable truths

Act 5- The big reveal about Celestials, with Ikaris exposed and the Eternals divided

Act 6- The Eternals form up, side against side, and fight over the fate of the world

Venom 1988 likes this.
  25. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Sounds great. I'm not 100% sure it fixes the pacing, but certainly is a great storyline.