1.  2022 SuperHeroHype Awards

The 2022 Hype Award Season, hosted by Lily Adler and ComicChick is officially live!

Voting is now over! Stay tuned for the awards ceremony!

The SuperHeroHype Awards

The Eternals General Disscussion and Speculation thread

Discussion in 'Eternals' started by Speed Force, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Mr. Peanut Registered

I don't think Arishem necessarily...
    ...follows events on Earth closely enough to know about every single thing that happens on it. The fact that he needs to keep the memories of the eternals to study the deviants indicates that he is far from omniscient. And he mentions that he has eternals all across the universe with the same mission, so it makes sense that his attention wouldn't always be on Earth.

Certainly Ultron would be small enough to fly under his radar. As for Thanos, Arishem must have either been unaware of his plan to erase half of all life or he must have been okay with it all along, because that affected all life in the whole universe, not just Earth. Earth would have lost half its population even if Thanos and the infinity stones never ended up there, as would every other planet with a celestial seed, so if Ashirem knew about the plan and didn't condone it then he would have stepped in long ago.

Batmannerism likes this.
  2. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

The Celestials are cosmic beings. They don't think in terms of like 10, 50, 100 years etc. Creating celestials takes thousands of years. Eventually life on all these planets Thanos erased life will return. For beings that live for millions of years, waiting a few thousand is a drop in the bucket. So ultimately I see them not being involved in Thanos for the simple fact that it is a temporary setback that doesn't really hurt beings that live for millions of years.

TheVileOne, eon001 and Venom 1988 like this.
  3. TheGDBatman Registered

I really wanted to like this movie. The ambition, the scope, the cast.....

But it just felt like a slog to get through. And I thought the CGI in the third act was pretty horrid compared to most (but this wasn't a dealbreaker). It felt like there were too many characters who weren't given enough time to develop on screen. As some other posters have mentioned, I would have loved to have seen this as a D+ series where they'd have more time to explore the world Zhao created. I think she was onto something really special, but the execution was lacking to me.

Either way, I hope they're able to take what they started and make a strong sequel. I think now that the characters have been introduced future movies will be more easily digestible.

Truthfully, I thought the post credits scene (the second one) and the implications of it was the most interesting part for me.

TheVileOne and chintai80 like this.
  4. chintai80 oh hi.

rewatched this again and i enjoyed it alot instead this time.
    for me, this is one of those films that require a 2nd viewing.

the issues i had with the pacing and character development are largely gone.
    i guess because the first time i watched it, it was so many characters and so much ideas being thrown at you all at once.
    but when i watched a 2nd time, my mind's already acclimated to all that.

the chemistry between ikaris and sersi is slightly better, but still not very strong.
    deviants were still underdeveloped and mainly used as a smoke screen.

but the scope and story is very well done.
    i feel chloe zhao pulled it off as best as anyone could with such a large cast of characters you're being introduced to for the first time.

for me, this was like mcu's take on a superman/ justice league story.
    but much more character driven and zhao pushes the philosophical ruminations even further than your typical superhero movie.

i am looking forward to seeing where the story continues after this.

#2729 chintai80, Jan 18, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    CB Fan likes this.
  5. Kane52630 BATMOBILE USER

6. Kev4000 Registered

deleted.

#2731 Kev4000, Jul 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
  7. MadVillainy C'mon Son

I'm not seeing the article or any source say that.

Not saying it's 100% not true but yeah I don't see anything on Deadline or anywhere corroborating that yet

#2732 MadVillainy, Jul 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
  8. Kev4000 Registered

omg a troll account.. The tweet was from @discuusingfilm... with the same design like the original page. Sorry. :O

MadVillainy likes this.
  9. MadVillainy C'mon Son

I hate those things haha

10. Prison Mike Don't drop the soap!

I might do a rewatch of this movie soon. I have been thinking about it lately and feel like enough time has passed since I last watched it that I can go in with fresh eyes. Maybe I will feel about it differently.

AVEITWITHJAMON and BoredGuy like this.
  11. KevTravels Registered

Why the hell did this cost 200 million dollars?

12. Kane52630 BATMOBILE USER

Because thats what happens when you actually shoot on location and not on a soundstage like the rest of the MCU movies.

13. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

I actually watched this one twice and felt like it flowed better the second time. It was a pretty complex movie and my first viewing felt like there were a lot of bumpy spots and flow problems

Prison Mike likes this.
  14. Prison Mike Don't drop the soap!

Yeah I will definitely give this a second go around pretty soon

15. DyeLorean will return

Unusual for me but, with the exception of No Way Home, I've seen every Phase 4 project only once. I'm saving the rewatches for later on.
    I'm actually looking forward to revisiting things like Eternals, which I liked but didn't love.

16. AVEITWITHJAMON Badass Cloud

I have wanting to watch this one again also recently but despite having D+ I am waiting for the 4K release to go cheaper.

17. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Its also got a relatively large main cast, with at least thirteen "main" characters who have names and multiple scenes, plus a few voice roles. That probably doesn't help.

18. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

Marvel never confirmed that? I hope Oswalt is correct. I want a sequel. I liked Eternals

Kev4000, Iceman and Venom 1988 like this.
  19. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

They definitely wanted to use Harry Styles and they will get a lot of his fans on board at least. Separately I have a feeling the second film if it happens will be much better without having to do all that historical setup.

Venom 1988 likes this.
  20. Venom 1988 formerly Ultimate_Venom

Maybe Oswalt was too busy promoting Sandman that he assumed Eternals 2 was one of the many projects announced at SDCC lol.

Spider-Fan likes this.
  21. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

We have had those rumors about Harry Styles signing a 5 film deal or whatever, and that Feige said Pip and Eros would come back. But never an Eternals 2 announcement. But I mean....I hope Oswalt is right, lol

22. Zyraquis Registered

Oswalt is pretty specific about more adventure for Styles and his characters so it seems to be more an unintentional leak assuming it was announced at SDCC or something.

I personally love to see it happen since the film is among my top tiered MCU projects but I can see some would be up in arms yelling at the cloud “why?! No one asks for this!”

23. Prison Mike Don't drop the soap!

I actually liked the historical setup. It made everything seem so big and epic. What I wasn’t a fan of was how long it took them to regroup in the present day. I remember looking at my watch a couple of times. The movie dragged quite a bit. Hopefully the sequel is tighter. Keep the same grand, epic feel but definitely tighten the script

AVEITWITHJAMON, Venom 1988 and Iceman like this.