The Flash The Flash Episode 1x15 - Out of Time

I wonder why he's actually in the same place as he was before. Shouldn't his younger self be standing right next to him? Or did he basically take his younger self's place, by traveling back in time?

Honestly, the only real thing that bothered me about the entire episode was Iris. The realization of her being in love with Barry doesn't work for me due to how she seems to be trying to sabotage Barry's current relationship. Like they just happen to be at the bowling alley, and when she wiped his face, I felt bad for both Linda and Eddie since it was a move you see a jealous person do in order to force a breakup. I can't really fault Barry for that because he's unaware, but it comes off as spiteful. I can fault Barry for when he kisses Iris after she tells him her feelings. Yeah, he's the only one who will remember that she confessed to him, but now will he try to break it off with Linda and then sabotage Iris' relationship? Barry doesn't seem like the guy to do that, but then again, I didn't think he would have kissed Iris while in a relationship, even if it was an "in the moment" kind of thing.

I just can't buy her sudden love for Barry. She viewed him like a brother all these years. She wonders why he doesn't have a girlfriend, and even tries to fix him up with Felicity. Then he confesses his feelings, and suddenly she loves him too?

Awesome episode.

But, I just don't buy Iris having romantic feelings for Barry. The actors did their best with the bowling and reveal scenes, but they simply don't have the natural chemistry or a strong enough scripted history on the show to justify the sudden reveal of their previously hidden mutual attraction. They have a nice brother/sister bond and I think the show needs to leave it at that for a while. Linda isn't quite working either, so perhaps they need to introduce Patty or just have Barry be single for a while and build his friendships with Cisco and Caitlin.

The date happened. Barry time travelled to after the date but before he arrived at the morgue and spilled his drink on Singh. So Eddie is jealous and unless Barry does anything about it, Linda will push Iris at work and make her realise how she feels.

However, when Barry went to Caitlin and Cisco, they told him to trust Wells, and that they were sure he wasn't doing anything wrong, so Barry might not feel the need to question them again, so all three will be oblivious to Wells being evil.

Essentially, love triangle advanced, villain reveal stalled.

You're right. Eddie got the call while they were at the alley. I forgot.

I just can't buy her sudden love for Barry. She viewed him like a brother all these years. She wonders why he doesn't have a girlfriend, and even tries to fix him up with Felicity. Then he confesses his feelings, and suddenly she loves him too?

Yeah... Iris never viewed Barry like a brother. That's what people imagine, I know, I know, but there's been no actual indication that that's the case, and this is just one of several indications in the series that she doesn't. Also, four episodes doesn't strike meas very sudden, even by TV standards.

The feelings are still coming out of nowhere. Even if it has been 4 Episodes since the confession. Nothing changed. He confessed, they don't interact as often anymore, and now she has those feelings for him too. Feelings she didn't have, when she tried to fix him up with Felicity.

Candice (not the character) seemed nervous during the 'kiss scene' which is understandable since there's probably multiple cameras and dozens of people watching them.

Oh and the Flash has me fiending for the next episode which is what serialized superhero/comic book tv shows should be doing.

I don't really mind the time frame in her realization. I just don't like the fact that she knows how Barry feels, sees that he's trying to move on, and is now actively trying to sabotage his relationship.

Totally! There was no way they were going to let Cisco stay dead ! I wonder if Barry will interrupt him before he kills Cisco, or before Cisco makes the discovery (although based on some trailers I've seen, I'm guessing the former, not the latter). Only seen spoilers for this week's episode (we don't get the Flash down here until thursdays, our time), really excited about ti.

A crafty ploy by the writers, man this show is awesome.

If my "crafty" you mean "cheap," then yes, "crafty" indeed.

The feelings are still coming out of nowhere. Even if it has been 4 Episodes since the confession. Nothing changed. He confessed, they don't interact as often anymore, and now she has those feelings for him too. Feelings she didn't have, when she tried to fix him up with Felicity.

She said she couldn't stop thinking about Barry since his confession. How is that 'nowhere?' Them not interacting or Barry not telling her before then doesn't change that really big somewhere from existing. It's not like Barry went back in time before the confession and stopped that. :p

Think about this: If she didn't have those feelings, why wouldn't she say that at that moment of confession? How do you know she didn't have those feelings when she was fixing him up with Felicity? THAT Double date wasn't much better than the one with Linda. "The same kind of adorable nerd."

I've figured it all out.

Harrison Wells (Thawne) is from the future and came to the past. This means, Harrison Wells was not born yet in the past and that is why his power is fading and needs Barry Allen's help to get back to his own time (Some episodes shows harrison wells struggling with his power). Meanwhile, Eddie Thawne (Detective) is the father of Harrison Wells and will be the one that becomes the first Zoom in the future. Then the Detective (Zoom) fights the Flash and ends up dead while his legacy gets passed down to his son (harrison wells) and to avenge his father, he attempts to kill barry allen but loses so his only option is to time travel to the past and kill the child barry allen but fails.

So in this case, barry allen will be fighting harrison wells during the on-going season then harrison wells will lose, only to have enough time to tell eddie thawne the truth and convince him to become zoom, which will head to the future where flash fights zoom again but this time zoom as eddie thawne, who will have a child named eobard thawne, and have his power pass down to his eobard thawne who will travel back in time and start all over. It's a time loop.

Or am I thinking too much?

Didn't Wells say that he was centuries out of time? So Eddie would just be a distant relative and not his father.

I wonder why he's actually in the same place as he was before. Shouldn't his younger self be standing right next to him? Or did he basically take his younger self's place, by traveling back in time?

Because by traveling through time - he's disrupted the flow of events - he was never supposed to be there in the past, so the previous timeline is now no longer relevant, the original timeline was reset as if it never happened. he has created a paradox, and is now as much an anomaly in time as RF is.

I've figured it all out.

Harrison Wells (Thawne) is from the future and came to the past. This means, Harrison Wells was not born yet in the past and that is why his power is fading and needs Barry Allen's help to get back to his own time (Some episodes shows harrison wells struggling with his power). Meanwhile, Eddie Thawne (Detective) is the father of Harrison Wells and will be the one that becomes the first Zoom in the future. Then the Detective (Zoom) fights the Flash and ends up dead while his legacy gets passed down to his son (harrison wells) and to avenge his father, he attempts to kill barry allen but loses so his only option is to time travel to the past and kill the child barry allen but fails.

So in this case, barry allen will be fighting harrison wells during the on-going season then harrison wells will lose, only to have enough time to tell eddie thawne the truth and convince him to become zoom, which will head to the future where flash fights zoom again but this time zoom as eddie thawne, who will have a child named eobard thawne, and have his power pass down to his eobard thawne who will travel back in time and start all over. It's a time loop.

Or am I thinking too much?

The Thawnes have a long history of animosity with the Allens / Flash family. So Eddie is likely going to be the opposition soon. Whether or not it's as a super villain, who knows. I doubt it would be as Zoom, but i wouldn't be surprised if Eddie very shortly views Barry or the Flash as a mortal enemy.

If my "crafty" you mean "cheap," then yes, "crafty" indeed.

Respect your opinion, if you don't like it fair enough, but dude, if you find the writing "cheap" why are you on this forum ? Me, I find Agents of Shield as boring as watching grass grow, and I don't go anywhere near any of it's discussion threads.

Personally, I think it's clever that the audience effectively gets an early reveal of Wells' true identity and just how far he'll go (without having to actually kill off one of the main characters) before the actual reveal to Barry. Plus, that scene was well written and well acted. Just my personal taste, but I suspect some others might agree.

Second, if you think the time travel thing is cheap as a plot device, well it's kind of a key part of the Flash mythos (and comic books in general) so you'll kind of have to get used to it if you want to follow the character.

Did you think that the use of time travel to re-set everything in Days of Future Past was cheap - because it's pretty much the same thing, on a somewhat grander scale ?

Third, this is a superhero tv show, so unrealistic and even outright ridiculous plot devices are to be expected.

Not attacking you personally dude, just disagreeing with you.

She's known Barry for her entire life and there is no one she's closer to. It's clear that they've been through a lot together and have seen each other at their most vulnerable points, possibly fighting off or storing away any feelings of attraction. The feelings Iris has had in the past and presently are probably more complicated than, "I didn't like him, but now I like him."

This isn't the same dynamic of Peter Parker and MJ in the Spidey movies, with Barry pining away for his perfect dream girl who he's shocked even knows his name yet suddenly realizes she loves him in the end. This is two life-long best friends who are just now coming to terms with their feelings for one another and struggling to navigate the right path, without destroying their relationship -- or their relationships with the other people in their lives.

This kind of thing literally happens all the ****ing time, yet everyone is acting like this is the most unbelievable romantic scenario ever. It's weird.

Last edited:
She's known Barry for her entire life and there is no one she's closer to. It's clear that they've been through a lot together and have seen each other at their most vulnerable points, possibly fighting off or storing away any feelings of attraction. The feelings Iris has had in the past and presently are probably more complicated than, "I didn't like him, but now I like him."

This isn't the same dynamic of Peter Parker and MJ in the Spidey movies, with Barry pining away for his perfect dream girl who he's shocked even knows his name yet suddenly realizes she loves him in the end. This is two life-long best friends who are just now coming to terms with their feelings for one another and struggling to navigate the right path, without destroying their relationship -- or their relationships with the other people in their lives.

This kind of thing literally happens all the ****ing time, yet everyone is acting like this is the most unbelievable romantic scenario ever. It's weird.

Tru dat. John Hughes used this as the main plot of a bunch of teen movies back in the 80's.

I'm actually glad they're picking up the pace with the Barry and Iris thing. Yeah, she's a bit annoying but it would be waaaayyyy worse if they dragged it out over a couple of seasons - man I hate that "will they, won't they ?" crap.

Anyway, I can live with the Barry-Iris plot, it's not diminishing the show at all, I just hope they move it along at a reasonable pace.

One of my many problems with the episode, but it just felt like the producers said, hey time will be reversed let's do a bunch of stuff that we don't want to do in the normal timeline(and we can just reverse it).

Basically it was the producers chance to have Iris find out the secret and kiss Barry without it actually playing much into the normal timeline(at least for Iris) so they wrote a plot around it. As a fan of Smallville I can tell you no good will come from this, it will just lead to Barry being depressed and angsty while Iris is dating Eddie.

I think the complaint has been that the execution of the relationship sucks, not that it doesn't happen in real life. Iris's feelings are totally understandable.

That doesn't mean the writers have done a good job with the execution of her character and the storyline. They've bungled it , which is why the storyline gets so much flack. I don't think people are objecting so much to the premise of the relationship and its conclusion. Its how the writers have gone about it, which has made her come off as unlikable and selffish , when in reality her position and situation is perfectly understandable and realistic for the most part.

At this point , i'm beginning to wonder if the writers sympathize with the Iris character themselves. They certainly don't seem to be showing the difficult position she's been put in from her point of view.

Well at least the police chief won't end up paralyzed when things get un-done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"