The Flash The Flash Episode 16: "Rogue Time

This episode was a major step down from last week.
Stupid moments include the gold gun. The heat gun heats the air, the cold gun freezes the air and the gold gun...? Why do you even need to rub bans if you have a gun that spits out gold.

I think this has been stated 50 times already, but the gun doesn't actually shoot out gold, just a material that looks like gold. And even if it did, the Rogues would still rob banks because they think it's fun.

I normally like Iris and I do want her and Barry to eventually hook up

Well you're in the minority.

I knew they would pull something like this, have your cake and eat it too. That last episode got them lots and lots of buzz. Shame they had to follow it up with something this far across the spectrum. I can't get over why Wentworth has to wear the parka all the time.

Anyways, can anyone tell me why there weren't two flash's in this ep. Maybe I've seen back to the future one too many times?

I can't get over why Wentworth has to wear the parka all the time.

His gun generates absolute cold.

I liked that this episode confirmed that in this show's universe fate always finds a way regardless of the context.

- Somebody still finds out Barry is The Flash
- Somebody's life is still in peril at the hands of a rogue
- Somebody on Team Flash is still suspicious of Wells
- Somebody still dies with the Reverse Flash turning their heart into mush
- Cisco and Wells still have a conversation in the same site that leads to the same "....what it's like to have a son" quote being said once more

joe isn't saying wells is dodgy, he is saying wells may be dodgy, keeping his mind open. so for barry to say you where right about everything is to say you are right about a consideration not the acceptance of a fact.

It came off more like he was agreeing with the notion that Wells was involved in his mothers death to me.

Right
Barry said Joe was right about everything.
That includes the death of Barry's mother.

It came off more like he was agreeing with the notion that Wells was involved in his mothers death to me.

because we have the information of the audience it is natural to presume that, but joe doesn't know what we know, so far joe only has a hunch. If he taught it was a fact or reasonable suspicion he would be closing wells down. Same for barry, he has gone from wells is sound to there is now a question mark over him. If that suspicion grows or is confirmed then he moves into closing him down.

Its not going to jump next week to put wells in the pipeline, there will be a natural process from where they are at now to that or some other confrontational point.

But I think they did address it in the episode when he sees his "ghost." The current Barry that traveled in the past slowed down to the previous day, while the Barry he saw on his left was still moving forward, so they never really cross paths.
Then, where was the "one day younger Barry" during the whole episode? And what are the writers going to do with him from now on? Right now there should be 2 Barrys in Central City, and they both would exist forever because the younger one is not going to travel to the past after the timeline has been already changed, everything during that day has been different, if everything had been the same, then the younger Barry would eventually travel to the past causing a time loop, and the "one day older" Barry could go on with his life, but right now we should have 2 Barrys in the show, this is why the writers decided that the Barry from the past had to disappear, but they just didn't explain why and it contradicts what we've seen in previous episodes where travelling to the past didn't cause the vanishing of the time traveller's younger self (old Barry and kid Barry the night his mom was killed, none of them disappeared, the older one just returned to the future, I guess).

Wait a minute, since Barry was running alongside his future/past self, shouldn't there then be 2 Barrys/Flashes present in the same day; the one who is living it for the first time, and the second who is re-living it…….?
Exactly.

It created a separate time line. Thus the other Barry disappeared as he continued on within his timeline. Is my take on it.
Sorry, but that makes no sense, there was an older Barry trying to save his mom's life and the younger Barry was still there, he is the Barry we know right now, none of the 2 Barrys (old Flash and kid) disappeared after a new timeline was created, otherwise the Barry from the show wouldn't exist and we would have a much older Barry as the main protagonist.

Anyway, if changing the timeline caused the vanishing of one of the two Barrys, the one that should vanish would be the "one day older" from the old timeline that was erased, the one with the memories of everything that happened during that day in the previous and erased timeline, but that's not what is shown in the show, and if that happened everytime Barry travels to the past, like I said before then the Barry from the show wouldn't exist because he would have vanished when he was a kid and his mom died while an older version of himself tried to save her.

Travelling to the past doesn't erase your younger self, that was established in previous episodes, and time travel rules must be consistent, the writers shouldn't change them depending of what they need for each episode, and if they do it they should explain why the rules have changed, otherwise they would be awful writers.

I explained all of this (among othe things) in my previous message:

http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=30955083&postcount=167

If the writers don't explain this, it would be one of the biggest writing mistakes I've seen in my whole life. :(

Then, where was the "one day younger Barry" during the whole episode? And what are the writers going to do with him from now on? Right now there should be 2 Barrys in Central City, and they both would exist forever because the younger one is not going to travel to the past after the timeline has been already changed, everything during that day has been different, if everything had been the same, then the younger Barry would eventually travel to the past causing a time loop, and the "one day older" Barry could go on with his life, but right now we should have 2 Barrys in the show, this is why the writers decided that the Barry from the past had to disappear, but they just didn't explain why and it contradicts what we've seen in previous episodes where travelling to the past didn't cause the vanishing of the time traveller's younger self (old Barry and kid Barry the night his mom was killed, none of them disappeared, the older one just returned to the future, I guess).

Exactly.

Sorry, but that makes no sense, there was an older Barry trying to save his mom's life and the younger Barry was still there, he is the Barry we know right now, none of the 2 Barrys (old Flash and kid) disappeared after a new timeline was created, otherwise the Barry from the show wouldn't exist and we would have a much older Barry as the main protagonist.

Anyway, if changing the timeline caused the vanishing of one of the two Barrys, the one that should vanish would be the "one day older" from the old timeline that was erased, the one with the memories of everything that happened during that day in the previous and erased timeline, but that's not what is shown in the show, and if that happened everytime Barry travels to the past, like I said before then the Barry from the show wouldn't exist because he would have vanished when he was a kid and his mom died while an older version of himself tried to save her.

Travelling to the past doesn't erase your younger self, that was established in previous episodes, and time travel rules must be consistent, the writers shouldn't change them depending of what they need for each episode, and if they do it they should explain why the rules have changed, otherwise they would be awful writers.

I explained all of this (among othe things) in my previous message:

http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=30955083&postcount=167

If the writers don't explain this, it would be one of the biggest writing mistakes I've seen in my whole life. :(

Same questions exist for the previous episode out of time. There where two flashes running along side each other so two should have materialized. They did in a way, they both materialized at the same time and the same space but not exactly the same spacetime. There is cause and effect in their methodology. But young barry is a fair point. Maybe speed has something to do about it. We know that kid barry could not run at a couple of hundred mph so old barry when he goes back in time to the night his mother died can't do so with similar conditions of his younger self out for a run. Don't think you have shown that the same exact conditions exist which could predict the same outcome.

I can't get over why Wentworth has to wear the parka all the time.

1. His gun generates the extreme of a temperature. Same reason Heatwave always wears a firefighter's uniform.

2. It looks awesome.

3. It's his costume... What else would he wear?

1. His gun generates the extreme of a temperature. Same reason Heatwave always wears a firefighter's uniform.

2. It looks awesome.

3. It's his costume... What else would he wear?

Ladies and gentlemens,we have a winner.

:djs:

However what if another time traveller brought Barry into the past to thwart Eobard's attempt on young Barry?

So he can be in the past and not mess up their already problematic view on time travel with the Flash?

Man, this episode.

I disliked the gold gun - with it's numerous plot holes

I disliked Cisco was able to make 3 state of the art guns at someone's house rather than Star Labs

I disliked the CC/Flash resolution in the park - what the **** was 'THAT' all about?

I disliked there weren't two Flash for the episode (ala Back to the Future 2)

I disliked that Iris had NO feelings for Barry. ZERO. NADA. So what was last week all about then? The traumatic event was at the end of the episode, Iris has been conflicted for weeks.

I disliked the treadmill cop out, so the audience don't say 'well, why doesn't he just go back in time to fix it'

I disliked the jump of Barry just coming out and saying to Joe 'You are right about Wells'. Where the heck did THAT come from?

I dislike the fact they reset EVERYTHING. NOTHING stuck. Some people called it last week and I didn't believe them. I was like, naw...they aren't going to undo EVERYTHING. But sure enough they have hit the reset button on the entirety of last weeks episode. Cheap, lazy writing.

16 episodes and this is the first episode I dislike with the only saving grace being the Wells/Cisco exchange and the murder of the journalist.

Episode 16 - poor 6/10
As bad as last weeks episode was good.

I disliked the jump of Barry just coming out and saying to Joe 'You are right about Wells'. Where the heck did THAT come from?

Did everyone miss that he saw the report of the missing journalist? Exactly the one person, who was suspicious of Wells and thought he had something to do with Stagg's disappearance, goes missing as well.

Did everyone miss that he saw the report of the missing journalist? Exactly the one person, who was suspicious of Wells and thought he had something to do with Stagg's disappearance, goes missing as well.

I saw that but it is still a big leap.

Man, this episode.

I disliked the gold gun - with it's numerous plot holes

I disliked Cisco was able to make 3 state of the art guns at someone's house rather than Star Labs

I disliked the CC/Flash resolution in the park - what the **** was 'THAT' all about?

I disliked there weren't two Flash for the episode (ala Back to the Future 2)

I disliked that Iris had NO feelings for Barry. ZERO. NADA. So what was last week all about then? The traumatic event was at the end of the episode, Iris has been conflicted for weeks.

I disliked the treadmill cop out, so the audience don't say 'well, why doesn't he just go back in time to fix it'

I dislike the fact they reset EVERYTHING. NOTHING stuck. Some people called it last week and I didn't believe them. I was like, naw...they aren't going to undo EVERYTHING. But sure enough they have hit the reset button on the entirety of last weeks episode. Cheap, lazy writing.

16 episodes and this is the first episode I dislike with the only saving grace being the Wells/Cisco exchange and the murder of the journalist.

Episode 16 - poor 6/10
As bad as last weeks episode was good.

Glad someone else didnt like the gold gun - I guess not as lame as having her on ice skates while she robs banks, but still kind of dumb.

For some reason the "two Barrys" thing doesnt bug me that much. I mean it makes no sense -that if you travel back in time your previous self isnt there, and you just relive the time- but I suppose if I can accept a man who can run fast enough to time travel in the first place I can give that one a pass.

The gold gun is still dumb though. A laser with a gold coloured beam or some other fancy weapon, sure, but the way it was done- dumb.

Iris is really like Lana on Smallville were they are going out of their way to make her unlikeable. I want to like Iris but even I'm starting to turn on her now.

For the last time it is NOT a gold.....you know what? forget it!

When I saw "Peyton List" in the credits, I was expecting to see this actress:

Peyton_Roi_List.JPG

How do two actresses manage to go by the same name?

For the last time it is NOT a gold.....you know what? forget it!

Dude, it's a gun and it shoots stuff that looks like liquid gold, which then solidifies and looks like solid gold. So what do we call it then, the liquid gold analog projector ? Face it, if Cisco was naming it, he'd call it a gold gun.

Dude, it's a gun and it shoots stuff that looks like liquid gold, which then solidifies and looks like solid gold. So what do we call it then, the liquid gold analog projector ? Face it, if Cisco was naming it, he'd call it a gold gun.

There's no problem with calling it a Gold Gun,but the fact is (as has been explained several times now) it doesn't create ACTUAL GOLD.

As for the "Two Barrys" dilemma, I had no problem with it.I liken it to the original Flash series episode "Flash Forward",when Barry returns to the present he's side by side with himself for a moment before merging with himself,returning to the timeline intact. I see it as the the same thing,so it really wasn't a big deal to me.

His gun generates absolute cold.

I liked that this episode confirmed that in this show's universe fate always finds a way regardless of the context.

- Somebody still finds out Barry is The Flash
- Somebody's life is still in peril at the hands of a rogue
- Somebody on Team Flash is still suspicious of Wells
- Somebody still dies with the Reverse Flash turning their heart into mush
- Cisco and Wells still have a conversation in the same site that leads to the same "....what it's like to have a son" quote being said once more

No-one crippled and no tsunami though. So it was a win.

Edit- the brother did get frostbitten fingers.

When I re watched the episode, you see the original Barry fade out of existence. Perhaps there's certain "lapses" in time that you can pass when you're using the speed force, and the lapse is signaled by a speed force double, and then when you actually go back in time, you replace the original.

When I re watched the episode, you see the original Barry fade out of existence. Perhaps there's certain "lapses" in time that you can pass when you're using the speed force, and the lapse is signaled by a speed force double, and then when you actually go back in time, you replace the original.

And Barry travels back in time to save his younger self...?

The AfterBuzz (review show) explanation was Barry saw the second Flash inside the speed force and both Flash merge. But when Barry goes back in time to save his younger self, the younger version of himself is independent of the speed force hence why the older version doesn't merge with the younger version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"