The Flash The Flash Season 1, Episode 3 "Things You Can't Outrun" General Discussion

They already have Captain Cold though. I don't think they would need two ice villains would they?
Killer Frost is historically a Firestorm villain, and Captain Cold is a Flash villain.

They wouldn't put Firestorm and Caitlin Snow in the same show if they weren't planning on her making the transition.

Yes I can, because it's a very basic inference.

Especially given Caitlin's "fire and ice" comment in the last episode.

Eh. I just don't think they have to though just because it's in the comics. Mainly because I like the dynamic of Team Flash and don't want that to be messed up.

I want to see her as a villain though and I'm not interested in seeing their team remain the same all the way through the show. Dynamics are supposed to change.

If they do it they should wait 2-3 seasons and have it happen in the finale. That way it will have more impact with the general audience. Also by then even many comic fans will be wondering if they are ever going to do it.

I want to see her as a villain though and I'm not interested in seeing their team remain the same all the way through the show. Dynamics are supposed to change.

Well,I'm pretty sure Wells won't be a permanent addition. Whether or not he's Reverse Flash,he's apparently a stone cold killer and I doubt that will sit well with Barry once he finds out.

I hope the Flash goes public sooner or later. I really don't like the Red Blue Bl...oh, I'm sorry The Streak thing.

I thought this episode was kinda meh. The whole Iris storyline is weak, and Caitlin is obnoxious even when they're trying to make her sympathetic.

Still enjoyable overall; they keep the plot moving and the actionis really fun. And I'm loving Wells. Cisco is somehow very likeable. Vibrating face was both funny and very cool. I love that everyone is figuring out his identity.

Last edited:
Overall good ep but flaws are showing quickly.

Flaws
1.Formulaic Monster of the week
2.Meaningless Iris Romance Subplot
3. Chessy,terrible Dialogue
4.Logic gaps(Wny doesnt Team Flash warn the Public about Metahumans at large?Why are they keeping it a secret?Why doesnt Flash fight at Superspeed?Why does he slow down to fight his enemies)

Overall a 6/10 purely for Gustins performance and the fun escapism of the show

Just a couple of things.

1. Surely someone else needed to be in the chamber with Ronnie. The whole point of Firestorm is fusion, that is pretty fundamental to the character.

2. The movie that Iris and Barry saw was Blue Devil. Ha!

This show is utterly amazing. I may well buy this when they release the season on Blu Ray, I'm enjoying it that much.

I'd be upset if Snow didn't turn into a psycho villain.

I'd be happy to see Snow become Killer Frost, but does she have to become a "psycho villain".

I don't read The Flash comics, but in New52 (or maybe on one of the other multiverses), I thought that Killer Frost and Firestorm had a somewhat twisted relationship where Killer Frost needs to absorb heat and Firestorm is the only thing/person capable of generating enough heat to "cure" Killer Frost?

Given their engagement on the tv series, I wouldn't be surprised if we had a few episodes/story-arc where Caitlin started developing her metahuman powers, doesn't know how to control them, accidentally hurts people by draining their heat, devises some super-scientific way to cure herself and embarks on a crime spree of sorts to try to steal everything she needs, ends up captured by The Flash and then somewhere along the way (possibly after some time in confinement in the Metahuman Prison), Firestorm "cures" her and she rejoins Team Flash.

I'd be happy to see Snow become Killer Frost, but does she have to become a "psycho villain".

I don't read The Flash comics, but in New52 (or maybe on one of the other multiverses), I thought that Killer Frost and Firestorm had a somewhat twisted relationship where Killer Frost needs to absorb heat and Firestorm is the only thing/person capable of generating enough heat to "cure" Killer Frost?

Given their engagement on the tv series, I wouldn't be surprised if we had a few episodes/story-arc where Caitlin started developing her metahuman powers, doesn't know how to control them, accidentally hurts people by draining their heat, devises some super-scientific way to cure herself and embarks on a crime spree of sorts to try to steal everything she needs, ends up captured by The Flash and then somewhere along the way (possibly after some time in confinement in the Metahuman Prison), Firestorm "cures" her and she rejoins Team Flash.

I wouldn't mind this at all. Heck, she could even maybe keep her powers and be part of Team Flash. I don't mind her having powers, I just don't think she has to be a villain because she is in the comics. Tommy Merlyn was supposed to be the dark archer from what I'd heard from comic readers, yet they didn't stick to that on arrow, don't see why caitlin can't be the same tbh.

Maybe the CW has set the bar really low for me, but I don't think the dialogue is as bad as some people are making it out to be. It's actually pretty serviceable. However, I do agree that this was probably the weakest episode so far and I really do wish that they'd break the formulaic villain of the week structure. Otherwise, it's still fun, I'm just afraid the current structure may get old very soon. I won't judge just yet as it has been delivering solid entertainment.

I actually like the 'Freak of the Week' format the only problem is there is only one way Flash can beat them and that may become repetitive.

It's very uninspired at this point. Like I said, I enjoy the show so far, very entertaining but I just wish these shows would think a little more outside the box. Especially with cable tv dramas paving the way for unique ways to unravel a compelling story from week to week.

Freak of the week is how I imagine most episodes being and I'm fine with it so long as they continue to have over-arching plots.

However, I do agree that this was probably the weakest episode so far and I really do wish that they'd break the formulaic villain of the week structure.

I don't mind the metahuman of the week structure, but I wish it was explained a little more clearly.

Did ALL of the metahumans effected by the Particle Accelerator's explosion take nine months to develop their powers? If not, then why is it that all these metahuman criminals only started using their powers for nefarious purposes after Barry Allen awoke from his coma and embarked on a crime fighting career? I think they mentioned that the Weather Wizard had committed a few bank robberies, but they all sounded like they were recent (i.e. around the time when Barry awoke).

Team Flash said that they had been trying to track metahumans (or potential metahumans) since the explosion, but Barry was their first discovery. It might have been a tad more credible if they'd compiled reports of "odd" events like weather related bank robberies and together with Barry they investigated some of their "cold cases" which led to Barry running into some metahuman villains (and "neutrals" (i.e. people with powers who choose not to use them)).

As time goes on, maybe there will be some kind of explanation that there is some kind of minimum gestational period for the development of metahuman powers as a result of the explosion depending upon the person's proximity to the explosion, their DNA or some other factor. That may be used to explain "new" metahuman villains who pop up throughout the remainder of the series and possibly the later rather than sooner development of Killer Frost and Vibe.

At least this week we have a non-metahuman foe.

I can't let the week pass without pointing out my favorite line: "I feel like that one time I smoked a cigarette.":hehe:

I hope the Flash goes public sooner or later. I really don't like the Red Blue Bl...oh, I'm sorry The Streak thing.

Barry should embrace the "Steak" nickname and go around fighting crime in the nude.

Episode 6 is titled "The Flash is Born", so I don't think we'll have to deal with place-holder names much longer.

That's good. The Streak is such a weird sounding nickname. It either makes him sound like a flasher or a skidmark in your undies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"