The Flash The Flash Season 1, Episode 7 "Power Outage"

The one thing that I'm puzzled about though is that, by Barry temporarily "losing" his powers...it seemingly altered the future for a moment, hence the change in the News Articles.

However, IF Wells is indeed from the future; shouldn't he have been affected by the temporary time change?

I don't think he is from the future; I think he's a T.O. Morrow character who's computer has acces to the future's wifi. Maybe he hacked a signal from Reverse Flash's smart phone.

I don't think he is from the future; I think he's a T.O. Morrow character who's computer has access to the future's wifi. Maybe he hacked a signal from Reverse Flash's smart phone.

That is possible; and it would also give further credence to the theory that perhaps Wells is trying to push Barry towards reaching his top speed, where by doing so, he could time travel back and save his (Wells's) deceased wife.

And on another note; I'm watching this again on the CW website; I had forgotten to say this earlier, but I really LOVE the tonal shift that this episode took when compared to previous episodes.

I think for the first time since "Going Rogue", it really felt like everyone was in danger and I love the darkened atmosphere/heightened sense of danger that loomed over everyone involved in this episode.

I knew that Girder was doomed once Wells told him to kill Blackout. If he survived, he would probably have told Barry and the team what Wells wanted. Also, didn't Girder see Wells walking about? He would've told the rest about that too. But why didn't he ask Wells how come he no longer needed his wheelchair?

But was it ever Wells's intention that Girder survived, or was Girder purely a distraction like Wells said?

^^
He was a distraction, Wells didn't expected him to survive, that's who I see it.

I like the episode, it kinda brought me back to a "Smallville" season 1 episode entitled "Leech" when Clark lost his powers in an electrically storm to Eric Summers.

I like that Barry wasn't content with the lost of his powers and he missed the rush of speed but also it bolids down to his true motivation which is to help people.

Harrison Wells is a fascinating character, I like the story arc he's got he is easily the best supporting cast member character in this series. He seems very determined to achieve his objective in reversing the time paradox of the future regarding the Flash's disappearance . While his methods seem extreme, I find his reasoning to be sound, At this point I still think he's hunter Zolomon who has yet to become Zoom but will ultimately become Zoom.

The clock king's cameo was nice and that's all it should've been. I though it was pointless to have him hold up the Police station and Iris being the one to take him down give me a break.

can't wait for next week episode the Flash vs. Arrow (Go team Flash!)

You don't like Arrow? IMO, is a better show, it has more interesting characters. Starting with the leads, Oliver is more complex, has more sides to him, while Barry is a little too whiny, softy... Then Felicity and Diggle are also better characters than Caitlin and Cisco, even Season 1 Laurel was more interesting than this Iris. Maybe the crossover will change your mind.

That's one of my issues with this show lol, Barry Allen. Grant is good in this version of Barry Allen/The Flash, but I'm hoping the movie version actually sticks with the correct Barry. Grant plays this Barry as too dorky, too awkward, too whimpy like you said. He always need pep talks, always need his team to tell him if this is possible or he can do this or that, never takes the initiative to do it himself or learn how to use his powers in different ways/applications. He just seems like a more ott felicity smoak copy and paste to me, and I don't think they had to make him "adorkable" or whatever people call it just to make him likeable.

My knowledge of Barry Allen comes from what I have seen of him in Young Justice and the Flashpoint paradox. I don't read comics but I'm guessing how he's portrayed in those two things I mentioned is his correct personality and character traits. Oh, and I also hate how Grant's Barry isn't really a self-confident adult male. The only time I could say he was, imo, was when he goes to meet Iris as Flash and tells her to meet him on the roof, and that he would give her a head start and winks at her.

I think Flash is better. I find Olliver Queen to be a dry and stiff character. I think Grant is much more like able, charismatic, and interesting than Olliver. Also, I hate no characters on the flash, where I hate hate hate Thea on Arrow. What a terrible, whiney character. I am also a sucker for a good, straight up hero. Olliver Queen and Arrow is so dark and sometimes depressing. I'm thinking of the episode where Olliver was depressed about how he would die young from fighting crime. Unlike Olliver, Barry really enjoys being able to help other people in the flash show in general focuses on the fun of superheroics rather than the downside

He was a distraction, Wells didn't expected him to survive, that's who I see it.

I agree. There is no way that Wells would have exposed himself (i.e. his ability to walk and his morally grey intentions for The Flash) to Girder if he expected him to survive his encounter with Blackout.

Even if Girder did somehow survive, then I expect that Wells would have somehow killed him or arranged for him to be killed (although how he would have done that is unclear given that he didn't contribute much when Team Flash were trying to figure out how to stop Girder).

I thought this episode was pretty great. The setup for the hostage situation with Clock King at the police station could have been handled better by initially taking an actual hostage as he steals the firearm. The convenience of concealed body armor was pretty eye roll inducing as well, IMO. TV has taught me they put body armor over the prisoner's clothes during a transfer.

I'm also glad they went the Spider-Man 2 route with him losing his powers due to it being psychological, and the fact they got it out of the way early on in the series as opposed to later.

I'm surprised Wells was so blunt with Barry about using Girder as a sacrifice. I was certain he would have told him something misleading.

I thought this episode was pretty great. The setup for the hostage situation with Clock King at the police station could have been handled better by initially taking an actual hostage as he steals the firearm. The convenience of concealed body armor was pretty eye roll inducing as well, IMO. TV has taught me they put body armor over the prisoner's clothes during a transfer.

I'm also glad they went the Spider-Man 2 route with him losing his powers due to it being psychological, and the fact they got it out of the way early on in the series as opposed to later.

I'm surprised Wells was so blunt with Barry about using Girder as a sacrifice. I was certain he would have told him something misleading.

Clock King took one of the hostage's clothes,so it's likely he got the bullet proof vest from him.

Just saw the ep. Pretty good.

The newspaper Wells was reading had an article that said something about a 'Queen Inc and Wayne tech' merger...

Yeah that newspaper was in the pilot as well.

I smiled at the mentions of [BLACKOUT]Elongated Man[/BLACKOUT] and [BLACKOUT]Fire[/BLACKOUT]. :woot:

If Barry uses his alter ego to land Iris then more power to him. He has wanted Iris all his life, Eddie has been dating Iris for a few months.

If Barry uses his alter ego to land Iris then more power to him. He has wanted Iris all his life, Eddie has been dating Iris for a few months.

It doesn't matter whether Barry "wanted" Iris longer than Eddie, she decided to be with the later one (for now). It is somewhat creepy on his part to use his alter ego to flirt with her and it is really mean on her part to actually play along with it even though she is supposed to be in a relation ship with Eddie.

This lets both of them look like quite the *****ebags, to be honest.

If Barry does get Iris and Eddie finds out Barry is The Flash that is reverse Flash' motivation right there (if he gains powers) organically arrived at through story telling. Nice, very nice.

Last edited:
Nice to see Robert Knepper from Arrow reprise his role as Tockman. Continuity! I enjoyed the Girder Farooq fight scene but wasn't expecting Girder to die. Interesting seeing Barry question Dr. Wells motives. I'm curious about his super computer Gideon. Nice Easter eggs in the list of names Dr. Wells mentioned.

Not a bad episode - nice to see Wells starting to look dangerous, and loved all the character names Wells reeled off... would love to see Raloh Dibny turn up especially.

After the last one being the least enjoyable so far for me, this was a return to form, another great episode, Welsh is a great character, you really don't know what he will do next.

Great episode tonight.

Did anyone else love seeing two meta-humans going at it against each other that didn't involve Barry for once?lol

So far, we've only seen Barry go up against the Meta-Humans, so it was a nice change of pace to see the villains fighting each other.

Also, does anyone else feel like they're prepping for a potential Caitlin and Barry romance? Honestly, I feel like Barry and Caitlin are like the equivalent of Harry Potter and Hermoine....there's chemistry there, but there doesn't seem to be a current intent on pushing it forward.

I don't think they're prepping for a Caitlin/Barry romance at all. Some romantic interest was showed on Caitlin's part but nothing, zilch, nada from Barry. In fact, they've showed time and time again that Barry has no interest in Caitlin whatsoever outside of friendship. Barry could've had her when they went out to karaoke, but he never considered her an option (showing he doesn't view her in any romantic light). He was happy for Caitlin and Ronnie later on as well (showing no jealousy, regret, or despondency over their reunion. Just genuinely happy that she's with the man she loves). In season two also, Barry envisioned a perfect world (or at least how he wanted things to be) and in it Caitlin was married to Ronnie (again showing what's been evident from day one, that Barry has no interest in Caitlin romantically).

Some people say Barry and Iris have no chemistry. They need to realize chemistry is subject. They're are a lot of people who feel chemistry between Barry and Iris and that includes the producers who hired Candice largely for the great chemistry she had with Grant Gustin.

Earth 2 Iris and Barry looked forced and unnatural as a married couple. Barry and Caitlin had more scenes in Season 1 but in Season 2 that was pushed aside for Jay and Patty. Lots of actors don't screen together and have amazing chemistry still. It may be subject but the regular watchers weren't raving about Iris and Barry when they were a couple. Earth 2 was all about Zoom and Killer Frost.

Earth 2 Iris and Barry looked forced and unnatural as a married couple. Barry and Caitlin had more scenes in Season 1 but in Season 2 that was pushed aside for Jay and Patty. Lots of actors don't screen together and have amazing chemistry still. It may be subject but the regular watchers weren't raving about Iris and Barry when they were a couple. Earth 2 was all about Zoom and Killer Frost.

I thought they were great together. I just didn't feel the urge to post or rave about it because this show isn't and shouldn't be about shipping wars. Something that Arrow devolved into and is what's irreparably hurting it.

I thought they were great together. I just didn't feel the urge to post or rave about it because this show isn't and shouldn't be about shipping wars. Something that Arrow devolved into and is what's irreparably hurting it.

Shipping just ruins watching a show. Arrow hasn't been the same since after season 2. It's been picking up though. The writers are salvaging what's broken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"