The Flash Season 4 Episode 16: "Run, Iris, Run"

Discussion in 'The Flash' started by Primal Slayer, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Lantern Venom Lego SUCKS

This episode took the argument of "Iris is a Mary Sue" and put it to rest forever. She struggled with her confidence, and needed a barrage of directions (and even a rescue) to do any good with speedster abilities. She also admitted that being a reporter/blogger was more suited to her than being a hands-on hero. This episode was good for a number of reasons, but perhaps most of all, it developed her sense of self going forward.

2. fan4stic Registered

Not to mention that this has happened in 2 episodes, where Iris has had a focus this season already. Iris has been called out by both Cisco and Harry and they were treated as right.

3. LTuser Registered

Heck, to me, even during S1, barry was the main guy.. But i do agree, he was definitely team leader through out S2 and 3.

I certainly can't see any good reason for it, other than the "She is barry's wife"..

Strange, i feel Cisco was a very strong personality in S2 and 3.. Wally, i agree, wasn't one..

While i didn't get that same vibe, i do feel something COULD have been said to Cisco for saving her..

IMO the hand vibration thing, was only done to show us 'she now had the speed force'. BUT the tidal wave thinggy, she did cause barry told her how to do it.

4. portace Registered

wth..since when did this useless character become the leader??

she's pretty much the most unfit person there to make decisions

5. javonstokess Registered

Man, the hate for Iris on here is unbearable sometimes.

6. Babillygunn New Age Outlaw

If you re-watch season 1 you see how Iris should have continued to be written. She was cool. I liked her in season 2 because she upped her game and went to work as a reporter. I’m good with Iris. I like the character and I really like Candice Patton. I really hate the Iris as the leader storyline because it doesn’t fit her strengths or the strengths of the team. If she was such a good reporter then she wouldn’t have quit the way she did. She wasn’t passionate or dedicated. That weakens her characterization.

I’m hoping that the ending is a sign of things to come and her character goes back to journalism and using those skills to help the team.

7. kane9321 oakland's finest

yep..i'm done with flash. This episode was that straw that broke the camels back.
    SHE'S THE TEAM LEADER?...FN REALLY?. I WANTED TO THROW SOMETHING AT MY TV SCREEN
    KILL THIS USELESS CHARACTER OFF

#107 kane9321, Mar 15, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  8. Avenging Angel We have unfinished business.

For folks claiming she worked better as a reporter, how? She went from tumblr blogger, posted other people's articles/clippings, then it got popular and someone at CCPN gave her the job with almost no writing/journalism experience that she initially found boring. We didn't see her grow into anything, she was constantly shoved into the next thing and the next, just like Lana Lang. How was she strongest as a journalist? Keeping a tumblr blog isn't the same as being Lois Lane.

9. LTuser Registered

The hate is cause of how unrealistic they are making her.. All of a sudden she went from being a reporter, to finally learning barry's the flash. Now all of a sudden she took OVER team leadership and no one else had an issue??

10. Lantern Venom Lego SUCKS

I don't get it for her specifically, nor do I understand how people say that a supporting character can ruin any show. I think Mon-El is far and away the worst character in the Arrowverse, but his inclusion has never made me ponder giving up on Supergirl.

11. igoogol Registered

But well-earned. Show's still called The Flash and not Iris The Shoehorn.

Did he become leader of team Supergirl? Did Supergirl turn into the Super Mon-el show? Can Kara be Supergirl without Mon-el? If the answers are no, no and yes, then he's not the worst character in the 'verse.

12. Lantern Venom Lego SUCKS

Iris West is an integral part of the Flash mythos. That should have been evident before the show began and unless Patton has some kind of contract dispute, she's going to play a major role until the end.

Mon-El is barely a blip in Kara's comics history, yet he's been shoehorned in as a love interest. The character's dialogue and acting are terrible. This season we've seen him come back for the sole purpose of making Supergirl mope. I'm very glad that Barry hasn't been given these type of soulless, disposable love interests.

13. shabadoo25 Registered

I'm beginning to wonder if the rumors about Patton having documented dirt on the producers are true. They seem to jibe with an increase in Iris' role in the series.

I'm wondering if AK leaving mid season hurt all these shows. Most seem to be kind of flailing around trying to find their way.

14. Babillygunn New Age Outlaw

While not plausible, the role fit her character pretty well. The whole team leader role does not fit her well.

15. Avenging Angel We have unfinished business.

If true, my respect for her as a person will be gone. Something is amiss. They can't be ignoring the backlash for the least liked character forever. They broke up Olicity mid Season 4 among its backlash, but Westallen is still together in the same season as Arrow was? No signs of divorce or Barry reacting like a real person would to Iris' disgusting attitude toward him.

AK was behind all the Westallen scenes and Iris garbage, he wrote all of the key episodes that were centered around them. Even the recent crossover, explains why Iris is everywhere for no reason. Him leaving didn't hurt the show, he was behind what was destroying it. Berlanti isn't any better, he's very formulaic and will just start some new show only to inject his politics in its story lines and pay every article to kiss his butt.

The Arrowverse seems burned out in general. Could be do with the Superhero fad starting to die.

16. igoogol Registered

Lantern Venom: Yes, keep shilling that instead of answering the questions. Soulless, disposable love interests are actually better than this shoehorned love interest garbage. They at least won't be taking up screen time to squawk such self-serving nonsense as "we are Flash", "I'm leader of team Flash", and they will have a life of their own instead of leeching off Barrry's.

You're not the only one thinking this. I suspect she's been using it since late s2. As for AK, I only watch Legends and Flash which was trash about the last quarter of s2 while Legends took a 180 from s1 and was the best supes show starting s2. Base on that, I'd say Legends simply didn't have someone using dirt to get what they wanted and therefore was saved from being the garbage Flash has become.

Avenging Angel: This is just my take on things. Nothing is amiss if you're Candace. AK danced to her tune until he was kicked out, but the network and production are still on the hook for it. The interesting thing is she seems to be the only one who came out waaaaay ahead in this whereas we have no idea what happened to the victims, ie if they were compensated in any way as Candace seems to be. Given the network's and production's budgetary constraints, giving the show to Candace is cheaper than a payout and saves them (for now) from all the public backlash.

17. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Oh fun, now we're speculating that Candace MUST have something on the show for them to include Iris. Never cease to amaze me in here. Congrats on jumping your own shark

18. LTuser Registered

First i am hearing of a rumor mill of her having dirt on the producers..

19. fan4stic Registered

There's no such thing as team supergirl. There's the DEO, which Kara generally works with. Iris becoming team leader meant nothing to the show because didn't much. It's not Iris The Shoehorn now and hasn't been all season. Barry has had the most episodes with character work than all of the cast. Only Ralph comes close.

20. fan4stic Registered

She hasn't had disgusting attitude towards him. No more disgusting than he's had towards her anyway I'd say.

21. igoogol Registered

Iris did that, we're just following her crumb trail.

That's a no. Just 2 more to answer.

22. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

No, now you're making it about Candice herself lol, your jumping the shark and taking it to outerspace.

23. igoogol Registered

The trail is what it is, and if it leads back to Candice, then it leads back to her. Candice benefits the most with Iris in the forefront. Not that hard to follow.

24. Avenging Angel We have unfinished business.

Firing her would solve all the shows problems. Unless there is a stark reason not to. Her contract as far as I heard didn't seem as long as the others. More like 4 years. Something is going on behind the curtain. The prodigious amount of hate this episode got before and after should really scare the producers. They need to make a decision already.

25. Lantern Venom Lego SUCKS

There wasnt an unusual backlash, just the usual small group of Iris haters sounding off again. The ratings held steady.