The General Comic Discussion Thread - Part 2

Sorry to thread jack but can someone please tell me whats the deal with Batman's costume here? I absolutely love it and I would like to see more of it.
Thank you.

EDIT - For some reason the pic isn't uploading but its the cover of "BATMAN/SUPERMAN: WORLD'S FINEST #5"

I have the misprinted Absolute Kingdom Come with the page missing dialogue. I haven't bought an Absolute since.
:csad:
I think I remember you saying that before. Wasn't it sold as a bargain, and there was some issue preventing any refund?

batman-superman-worlds-finest-5-1-25-ratio-variant-pete-woods-1-1.jpg

batman-superman-worlds-finest-5-open-order-variant-cover-1.jpg

batman_superman_worlds_finest_cv5_dan_mora-1.jpg

3 Covers for BATMAN/SUPERMAN World's Finest #5.

:csad:
I think I remember you saying that before. Wasn't it sold as a bargain, and there was some issue preventing any refund?
Yeah, 20% off cover (used to be my LCS' deal on GNs before changing it years ago) and I didn't crack the book open for about 6 months after buying it. So outta luck there.

I do like the Absoulte format, one of my favorite sets is Absolute JLA/Avengers. It just put a sour taste in my mouth that's stuck for a while.

I don't blame you. I think I'd be the same.
I saw there is an Absolute Multiversity coming out, night look into that. Also the Fourth World ones, one day. Those seem to be good.

I caved and bought the Weapon X Gallery Edition as well as backing a Kickstarter for a Bernie Wrightson art tribute book.

This has been a pricey year so far. I'm gonna have to get rid of some furniture to make room for new shelves.

Cant wait for pride, Good names in there and im all for more LGBT content.

New Comics week

Batman/Superman: Worlds Finest #2

Okay im in love with this series.
The writing, the art, the way the characters work together, the flow…absolutely enjoyable.
Worlds finest really a fitting name.
If they can keep raising the level, we are in for a treat.

Batman The Knight #4

If this continues like this, I will take this into my own Batman Headcanon for sure.
Im always in for fleshing out Bruces origin and bringing me part of his training with Kirigi is always a good thing.
But did I mess up the location or was Kirigi always in North Korea?
I somehow always got Nepal as location in my head.
Anyway, love the art, the writing…really cool.

The Flash #781

Ugh, this team up hurt my face because I was grinning from ear to ear constantly.
Such a great issue, so good written…I loved it.
The Flash continues to make me react to it more than to any other comic book.
Whether its sitting on the floor reading a digital issue, screaming at the screen or following instructions like back in the day…there is just something in the way it is written, that works so well.

Nightwing #91

Nightwing pretty much the same as Flash…funny enough, this issue also had a team up with flash.
Its so much fun, getting me so invested and im really feeling the heart in it.
Again I keep wondering how people can say that DC comics aren’t that interesting anymore.
I look at stuff like Nightwing, Flash etc and don’t know what the hell people expect from comics if this is not it according to them.
I have so much fun.

Wonder Woman: Evolution#6

It’s a weird series that manages to keep me interested, but goes back and forth if it works for me or not.
This issue was better and we move forward to the conclusion.
I don’t know what to think about this series, but I guess since I keep buying it…its fine.

A very entertaining week, especially again because of Flash and Nightwing…two absolute fantastic books that I can highly recommend.

Nightwing #91

Nightwing pretty much the same as Flash…funny enough, this issue also had a team up with flash.
Its so much fun, getting me so invested and im really feeling the heart in it.
Again I keep wondering how people can say that DC comics aren’t that interesting anymore.
I look at stuff like Nightwing, Flash etc and don’t know what the hell people expect from comics if this is not it according to them.

I have so much fun.
I could not agree more. Admittedly, the A-list names aren’t as strong as they have been in the past. Superman isn’t at the strength that it was under Tomasi, Action is better. Williamson is doing very well with Batman and Mariko Tamaki has been solid with Detective but neither of those have hit a “classic” arc or run.
But all of those have been solid. And wow, when you look at Nightwing and Flash, these are all time great runs. I’m an enormous Mark Waid fan. And I love Geoff Johns. But neither of their runs on The Flash have even come close to having the heart and sheer enjoyment factor that Adams has brought to this title. And Tom Taylor’s Nightwing has been nothing short of phenomenal. These titles have been a celebration of everything wonderful about the characters. With our cynical and ugly world right now, these two titles alone have been just what the doctor ordered. And then add in Waid’s triumphant return with World’s Finest, and I really don’t see room for any negativity in the DC world right now.

A little behind on comics week, but it was a small one.
Nightwing #91: Yet another stellar issue. The wonderful Dick/Wally dynamic isn't exploited nearly enough as it should be (granted, Wally had been MIA for a while), and this issue only goes to show why it should be a more regular occurrence. One wonders how this will be affected during and after Dark Crisis, which I'm actually very sort of interested in reading.
Flash #781: EASILY the best issue of the week and a welcome return after the temporary intrusion of a crossover event last issue. It was great to see Jeremy Adams embrace the oft-reviled Wallace West into the Flash family with the expert nonchalance I've come to expect from him. I truly do hope that we get Bart, Jay and Max back in this book though. There's also something laugh-out-loud wonderful about Wally always removing small, but essential, pieces of tech from Legion of Doom hideouts wherever he finds them.
World's Finest #2. I was a little unsure about how to react to this series based on the first issue, but with the second, I'm in. It's zany in the best of ways, and Waid's dialogue is razor sharp. While I'd still like to see Waid tackle the current Superman rather than this earlier-days Superman, this is still the book to get no-fuss classic Superman stories that have no real bearing on anything going on throughout the rest of the publishing line and I think we need more of that.
The Good Asian #10: The final issue of this maxi-series came out this week and now I can finally read the whole thing. I stopped reading around issue 3 because the story has a lot of moving parts that were hard to track month to month. The book also suffered some serious delays which only justified my decision to wait. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint because it got off to a great start.
I could not agree more. Admittedly, the A-list names aren’t as strong as they have been in the past. Superman isn’t at the strength that it was under Tomasi, Action is better. Williamson is doing very well with Batman and Mariko Tamaki has been solid with Detective but neither of those have hit a “classic” arc or run.
But all of those have been solid. And wow, when you look at Nightwing and Flash, these are all time great runs. I’m an enormous Mark Waid fan. And I love Geoff Johns. But neither of their runs on The Flash have even come close to having the heart and sheer enjoyment factor that Adams has brought to this title. And Tom Taylor’s Nightwing has been nothing short of phenomenal. These titles have been a celebration of everything wonderful about the characters. With our cynical and ugly world right now, these two titles alone have been just what the doctor ordered. And then add in Waid’s triumphant return with World’s Finest, and I really don’t see room for any negativity in the DC world right now.
I think a lot of fans are blinded by nostalgia, bias and addiction. As we've all been saying, Nightwing and The Flash have been phenomenal under the Infinite Frontier banner. On top of that, Action Comics has a story that outranks most Superman stories since Rebirth. I'd even argue that Kelly Sue DeConnick's Rebirth-era Aquaman run was great and now DeConnick is giving us, however slowly, probably THE definitive Wonder Woman origin story. The Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen maxi-series were especially great. World's Finest is of course wonderful and I'm very excited Waid's Superman project with Hitch on art. John Stewart is getting a big push and Teen Lantern is along for the ride.
And Chip Zdarksy and Ram V are doing wonders with small Batman stories and new and invigorating Swamp Thing revamp.
As gimmicky as it is, Dark Crisis seems to be set up specifically to celebrate the new guard, be it the classic Titans or the 5G carry-overs. His other work may be questionable but Naomi is selling like hot cakes and is an interesting new character (and no one gives Bendis enough props for using Bart and bringing back Conner Kent, as well as for bringing back Amethyst and Warlord!).
Tom King is Tom King and I'm grateful for that.
We're past Heroes in Crisis. DC is working out of the wreckage of the Didio era. The talent involved with DC now may not be as big as it was in the past, but there's an excitement and refreshing vibe to every book being put out, and the future looks solid too. For the first time in a long time, I'll be reading both Batman and Detective Comics when Zdarsky and Ram V take over.
If you can't get excited by that, I honestly don't know what to tell you.

I read Silver Coin vol 1 today. It's a quick, but fun, read. 5 horror stories that each features a mysterious coin which wreaks havoc to whoever posesses it. Good stories, with equally good art as well.

New comics week, and we approach the Dark Crisis…*sighs*

Action Comics #1042

This arc keeps going upwards, incredible good arc, well paced, great drawn and fantastic written.
Skipping that is i planned, would have been a huge mistake.

Aquaman/Green Arrow: Deep Target #7

Oh, the final issue is here…im sad.
It was such a fun series, I will miss it.
But it was good, had a good final…im happy that it exists.
We could really do with more of such team up stories, I wouldn’t say no to that.

Batman: Beyond the White Knight #2
It picks up and gets some plots going that are really interesting.
I keep saying it, give Murphy a prime Batman series, a prequel…whatever…I wanna see more from his White Knight world pre White Knight.
Its such a cool designed world and I like his writing a lot.
Really looking forward to where this goes.

Detective Comics #1059
Uh that was a super neat issue that felt like it was twice as long as it was.
A good beginning to the arc, a good Riddler arc can always come around the corner.
So far im very intrigued with this arc.
As usual, Bermejos Variant Cover is incredible.

Harley Quinn #14

As Usual, a enjoyable series…but I found the art this issue a bit distracting.
Cant put my finger onto it, it just was for some reason more exhausting to keep up with what is happening visual.
I guess that’s the problem you could encounter with such a unique art style.
But still, I love the writing and whole vibe of the series.

The Joker #14

I still keep being surprised at how this series managed 14 issues, but here I am, having read every issue and enjoying the hell out of it.
This issue was rather slow and tame, but it is starting to build up to something.
As always, curious where it goes.

Robin #13

Really really good issue in an arc that so far is rather weak imo.
The Arc moves surprisingly fast I have to say, I was expecting the stuff that happened in this issue, 3-4 issues later.
But hey, everything that gives me Bruce/Damian trying to become closer again after Kings run butchered that.
Man if they can give me more heartfelt Bruce/Damian stuff…I would kiss them for it.
I can not find the words to say how much I need wholesome Batfamily in my comics.

Oh and i read of course Justice League #75...eh, boring.
Its why i dont really put it in my nicely sorted Opinions above.

That is the big teased "death of the justice league"? what an utterly dissapointing thing.
But to be fair, such "death of" stories never really work well in comics.
So lets see what Dark Crisis does, but im not really hyped or for this soft 5G thing they seem to want to do.

A good week.

Robin #13

Really really good issue in an arc that so far is rather weak imo.
The Arc moves surprisingly fast I have to say, I was expecting the stuff that happened in this issue, 3-4 issues later.
I’m genuinely surprised at how much I like Shadow War. It’s been a really good story thus far. But I’m not loving the introduction of Ghostmaker and Clownhunter into the story. When Damien asked if Batman was bringing in Grayson, I got my hopes up. With their backgrounds, having Grayson being put into a position where he has to protect Deathstroke would be really interesting. Having Ghostmaker and Clownhunter fill that role is a lost opportunity.

Trial of the Amazons is over....it was very mediocre which is sad. I had higher hopes.

Aquaman/Green Arrow: Deep Target #7

Oh, the final issue is here…im sad.
It was such a fun series, I will miss it.
But it was good, had a good final…im happy that it exists.
We could really do with more of such team up stories, I wouldn’t say no to that.
Glad you enjoyed the book. I preordered the trade at B&N so looking forward to reading it. I like Brandon Thomas writing from what a read in Aquaman: Becoming and Aquamen currently.

R.IP. Neal Adams. He made some legendary comics/covers.

I never read any of the newer Watchmen comics, what do you peeps think of the comics?

Rest In Peace, Neal.

NealAdamsBatman.jpg

Page from Adams 1st story/art for DC. From OUR ARMY AT WAR #182.

Our-Army-at-War-182p.jpg

I only recently started reading the books he worked on, but his name has been synonymous with Batman to me for as long as I've read comics. He always seemed to be what everyone else got compared to. That's how you know you're one of the greats. RIP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"