The Gifted The Gifted 101 - "eXposed" Discussion Thread

Didn't Blink also mention her family was complicated in the episode? Are we getting a version of Clan Akkaba?

Also, given that Lauren pushes things together and Andy pulls them apart, that might be of interest looking at how their powers work together.

Last edited:
This is the first broadcast show of its kind, that I will be watching religiously, and then some. Overall, only Jessica Jones has even approached, inspiring this much fervor in me before.

When it comes to the X-Men & Brotherhood, I just assumed for all intents & purposes, they're "gone"... as we know them. With the likes of T-bird, Polaris, Sage, & now Blink, heading up this faction of the Mutant Resistance Network, I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually see other former X-Men fronting some of the groups in different locales (that were mentioned).

This is the first broadcast show of its kind, that I will be watching religiously, and then some. Overall, only Jessica Jones has even approached, inspiring this much fervor in me before.

When it comes to the X-Men & Brotherhood, I just assumed for all intents & purposes, they're "gone"... as we know them. With the likes of T-bird, Polaris, Sage, & now Blink, heading up this faction of the Mutant Resistance Network, I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually see other former X-Men fronting some of the groups in different locales (that were mentioned).

always popular indivual X-men might show up eventully.cw was able to get superman on supergirl for season 2 where it was once thought never would happen.

there are x-men related character fans know already.and if you saw expanded preview for 1x02 sounds like we might be getting a version of the hounds on the gifted:cwink:

... and if you saw expanded preview for 1x02 sounds like we might be getting a version of the hounds on the gifted:cwink:

I did, and I'm SO X-cited! In fact, I just had a thought that Lauren might be connected to Roderick Campbell somehow, and his "program". Reluctantly or willingly, could be either way. He could end up using her for... supply purposes. :shock

I think the pilot could have benefited from a longer premiere but overall I felt it wasn't as bad as some of FOX's movie efforts. I wonder if they will confirm Magneto as Lorna's father given they've already name dropped the X-Men and Brotherhood. It didn't look like the kid whose mutant powers exploded in the locker room was actually being hit by those bullies. Kind of an overreaction to having warm water poured on you. His sister's mutant power is creating bubble wrap?

I did, and I'm SO X-cited! In fact, I just had a thought that Lauren might be connected to Roderick Campbell somehow, and his "program". Reluctantly or willingly, could be either way. He could end up using her for... supply purposes. :shock

if you seen matt nix's interview he hinted blink's history may be getten into and it's no accident lauren and andy's family name is strucker.

I think the pilot could have benefited from a longer premiere but overall I felt it wasn't as bad as some of FOX's movie efforts. I wonder if they will confirm Magneto as Lorna's father given they've already name dropped the X-Men and Brotherhood. It didn't look like the kid whose mutant powers exploded in the locker room was actually being hit by those bullies. Kind of an overreaction to having warm water poured on you. His sister's mutant power is creating bubble wrap?

Last straw after having been bullied other times.
Looks like bubble wrap, said something about pushing air together. Another ability on top of shielding or moving things is that a person behind the bubble would be seeing a delayed image.

if you seen matt nix's interview he hinted blink's history may be getten into and it's no accident lauren and andy's family name is strucker.

I'm hopin' Grandma Strucker's appearance neXt week, will give us some insight:

130912mag-sharon-gless2.jpg

... into this notorious fam's true, underlying nature.​

Some of the Blink parts in that new preview trailer did look AMAZing, and got me so stoked for what's to come with her.

Didn't Blink also mention her family was complicated in the episode?...

Yes, when being "interviewed" by Sage, and it seemed like a sore subject. She wasn't keen on revealing any details right away, that's for sure.

So the FOX viewing I went to actually had a really, really bad cut of the episode. The transitions from scene to where commercial breaks would be were really abrupt, there were visual glitches and subtitles in the middle of the screen at some point. So that was a bit unforunate. There was a lot I liked the episode regardless though!

I had to quickly check an online version and I think the transitions are at least a bit smoother there. It still kinda feels like this was directed as a movie and then cut into parts for the sake of the commercial breaks. One interesting thing is that in the cut I saw at the FOX event I am 99% certain they mentioned they were going to Mexico. The online version I saw did not have this piece of information. The reason I am fairly certain about that is because I remember that I found this an interesting reversal from Logan where they were taking Mexican kids to Canada.

I outlined some of my thoughts on the episode below:

I really liked the opening scene, Blinks portals, Polaris' rage, that was a great way to start off. The mutant underground in general was really well done to me. Except for that guy with an extra eye. I mean... why? Every scene with Reed and Caitlin together was great. "You remember how it was. The mutants fighting each other and innocent people getting hurt, dying. People wantes something done." "Well they got what they wanted."

In general I think the actors pulled off the emotions really well and there were some very genuine moments. A few scene where the delivery felt a tiny bit off, like the first time the X-Men and Brotherhood are brought up for example and some small moments in scenes from Marcos and Andy. But then again Percy Hynes White also pulled off some of the heavy emotional scenes really, really well. The moment his powers manifest was really great. As a whole I think they were a very likeable bunch. I really liked the moment with the flashback about Laurens first use of power and Caitlins realization that she has known for 3 years. The escape from the house that followed was slightly rocky in my opinion.

There were a lot of parts where I really liked the writing, though there were a few misses there. "Mutie." "Racist, much?" Most of it really worked for me though. "Mostly, we get get people under the wall. Sometimes over, sometimes even through," really made me chuckle. Blinks explanation and using portals to some place she hasn't seen was pretty much Nightcrawler in X2.

As a whole I think the story moved extremely fast, maybe a little bit too much. Without the title cards, I think people would be extremely lost as to where we are and where we are going. We were essentially going from one location title card to the next. So, I think the pilot should have been just a little bit longer. The spiders and drones were one thing I really liked as well, they were quite cool. Also I liked the more low-key Stan Lee cameo and the ringtone of course.

As a whole I really enjoyed it and I can't wait to see where it goes next.

They mentioned Mexico in the broadcast.

They mentioned Mexico in the broadcast.
Then I probably just missed something and I will blame it on not being awake. In that case I'd like to reiterate my point that I found it interesting that Mexico was the 'save heaven' this time around. :woot:

I'm thinkin' at least 3 scenes "changed", from how they were shown in earlier trailers & previews. As others have mentioned, Polaris's plastic prison part was apparently reshot. The Blink & Marcos meeting, where he gets the phone call, was the one in a garage with him workin' on the car I thought. And his meeting with the Strucker fam, where he gets to X-plainin' how the run's gonna work, seemed different in dialogue & delivery. As did his X-change w/T-bird 'bout the X-Men & Brotherhood missing, now that I think about it, so that makes 4.

Well the pilot of this is not even close to how good the pilot of Heroes was. I don't think The Gifted felt like Heroes, though it felt more like a parody of Singer films but with made for TV characters.

I watched it and I enjoyed it though it didn't leave like a lasting impression on me.The story isn't necessarily anything special or original but adding mutants/X-characters to it is what helps give it that umph that it needs. Not sure why we can't just get a full blown X-Men series but whatever.

All the characters were enjoyable and the effects were good, though I don't like the look of the daughters powers.

It did leave on a "wait? thats all!" footnote so thats good.

I just cannot understand why Matt Nix felt the need to create characters from.scratch.

Then the actual characters like Sage is wasted in an extra role. I wouldn't even know it was Sage if it wasn't for the internet news. Then the casting, the actors who are portraying the actual X-Men characters are at the bottom of the cast billing. Just weird. I just can't bother to care about the made up for TV characters, especially they are nowhere to be seen in the comics I've read.

I definitely liked it. I like Lauren and Clarice the best so far.

I just cannot understand why Matt Nix felt the need to create characters from.scratch.

Then the actual characters like Sage is wasted in an extra role. I wouldn't even know it was Sage if it wasn't for the internet news. Then the casting, the actors who are portraying the actual X-Men characters are at the bottom of the cast billing. Just weird. I just can't bother to care about the made up for TV characters, especially they are nowhere to be seen in the comics I've read.
I don't get why he decided to create characters and then make them an utter bore.

I watched it and I enjoyed it though it didn't leave like a lasting impression on me.The story isn't necessarily anything special or original but adding mutants/X-characters to it is what helps give it that umph that it needs. Not sure why we can't just get a full blown X-Men series but whatever.

All the characters were enjoyable and the effects were good, though I don't like the look of the daughters powers.

It did leave on a "wait? thats all!" footnote so thats good.

Maybe if they added actors like Shawn Ashmore to the show, it would somewhat improve it better for me.

Oh, I see, you meant for you personally.

Yeah pretty much. It doesn't have those unique taglines and hooks that drew me into the show like "Save the Cheerleader, Save the World" etc.

Polaris, Blink, Thunderbird are from the comics.
So are the Fenris twins although they're changed a bit to fit the narrative and make use of only things Fox has the rights to.
Sage, Shatter and Beautiful Dreamer are likely to get more screentime in following episodes.
Eclipse was almost certainly Sunspot in the original scripts, but changed to not have the same character as in New Mutants at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"