The Gifted General Discussion

Discussion in 'The Gifted' started by Sithborg, Jun 8, 2017.

1. coluanprime

coluanprime Well-Known Member

I was pretty worried about this show so I'm pumped it got renewed.

2. HotshotE

HotshotE Member

Yes! I've had my fingers crossed for this. I'm really glad it's coming back.

3. Jh7058622

Jh7058622 Well-Known Member

Can you just look at previous posts instead of making it about you? Yes, someone did say it was headed toward cancellation and they were wrong.

4. eon001

eon001 Well-Known Member

I got this idea from a Gifted after. One of the hosts suggested that a known Xmen needs to enter the show and take command of the group.

I think character like Forge or Banshee would be perfect. There the right level of popularity to be known by the fans, but won't be missed in the movies.

Forge would be perfect. He can set up a high tech command base with there own training room.

I want to see costumes too. Nothing fancy, maybe a tactical combat outfit some X branding, but with enough flexibility to put some personality in it.

5. Sithborg

Sithborg Oooh, plot twist!

And what is the issue with Polaris?

6. godisawesome

godisawesome Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's an issue exactly with Polaris, but they've written the character as a still growing mutant power player, a functionally different role from the grizzled veteran X-Men idea that I think is being proposed. Polaris would eventually probably ascend past such a character, if that makes sense.

Bring in a full former X-Men member who's already examp dead his powers and skills about as far as they can go and who can act as both a mentor and as a benchmark for our characters.

7. Marvel

Marvel Well-Known Member

Whatever it is... I love it.
    [​IMG]

I honest to God LOVE this show. It's not just the best new network TV show but the best overall Network show in all seriousness.

[​IMG]

8. jmc247

jmc247 Well-Known Member

They are going live video chat on Facebook like last done in the Summer.

This would be 5:30 Eastern Time.

9. Delwin

Delwin Well-Known Member

The show has rare gift: it has momentum and there are no fillers. Each episode means sth.

10. NotNickFury

NotNickFury Well-Known Member

More Cuckoos, more fun.

https://www.cbr.com/the-gifted-skyler-samuels-season-2/

11. Fincher

Fincher Too far gone

12. jmc247

jmc247 Well-Known Member

It looks like Lorna and Esme are going to have fun in two days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. DarthSkywalker

DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

Watching the finale right now. So for a show written so poorly, with a weird incest vibe, no progress, shoddy characters, cliche after cliche, and just very thinly written. I feel like this pretty much sums up the show. And Amy Acker agrees.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. ludovica

ludovica Daddy Feige notice me!

Not happy that they made
    Polaris a killer.
    Did they mean for
    the downing of the plane
    to substitute for her accidentally killing her parents as a 3 year old child? That's totally NOT the same thing.

15. Sithborg

Sithborg Oooh, plot twist!

Look, if you are doing Fenris without the incest vibes, then you are doing it wrong.

16. sleekstereo

sleekstereo Well-Known Member

"We do find ourselves in a sort of odd position in being a show that was co-produced by two different companies that under this merger would now be the same company. So, that's good," Nix says. "The thing that would really change our lives and really change the show a lot would have been if Marvel wasn't involved, you know what I mean? The fact is Jeph Loeb is an executive producer on the show. We talk to Jeph Loeb all the time. He's weighing in. So under a merger, barring lots of executive changes or something, we're talking to the same set of people, only they have a slightly different role in the corporate structure. For us anyway, we're already pretty much doing things in a Marvel way."

The other half of the equation is how the merger could affect things on the screen. A merger with Marvel could change The Gifted's position in relation to other projects, particularly the movies. It could also affect what intellectual properties the show is able to play with.

"The other side of it would be the way that our show kind of echoes and reflects what the movies are doing," Nix explains. "It remains to be seen, in a universe where priorities around shared universes are different, how that relationship will evolve. So it could be, it's like a whole new set of people and it's like a whole new set of attitudes and it's a whole new way of doing things. And we look at how Agents of SHIELD does things. That's a different deal. So that's that company.

And then the other question would be, and these are questions that are just completely unresolved at this point is, what would this mean for our access to certain kinds of characters, or storylines, or that kind of thing?" Nix adds. "And that would just have a lot to do with what would the merged companies plans be for the movies and do they see our show as a potential support for that? That would be my vote, right? Or do they see our show as something that just really needs to stay out of their way? Or somewhere in between.

"Does that give me the opportunity to come in and say like, ‘Hey, let me set something up for your movie or let me echo your movie in some cool way.’ And if I could do that then that would be neat, because I'm generally just guided by, as a fan, what would I want to see? And what would I want? As a fan, I don't want my TV show to do the same thing that my movie is doing. But at the same time, I don't want my TV show to be just like, you know, completely unconnected or just totally the bastard stepchild of what my movies are doing either. So, I'm going to push for not bastard stepchild but also not trying to do the movies on television because I think both are bad ideas."

17. Avenging Angel

Avenging Angel I'm Fire! Life incarnate!

I did not except that ending.

18. jmc247

jmc247 Well-Known Member

You are talking about a character that has downed star ships with thousands of souls aboard in the comics or lets me say

Comic Lorna is not exactly heavily encumbered when it comes to using deadly force. People tend to overlook it because she is more seen as a protagonist and her father more often is seen as an antagonist, but the character will leave a great deal of bodies in her wake because her core thinking is pretty far into the ends justify the means category.

In no way is her being willing to use deadly force to save others out of character for comic book Lorna.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  19. ludovica

I may be forgetting some instances maybe, did she ever kill innocents or people who were not a clear and present threat? Cold blooded, outside of battle?
    What about the pilot for instance?
    I said killer because I would not yet call what she did outright terrorism, it was as you said more a mean to an end, not a programmatic tactit. Yet.

What I mean is that there is no turning back from this, no plausible redemption or mitigating factors, not without serious retconning.
    She's a willing murderer of collaterals, even Logan would think thrice about it and then restrain himself.
    That, I really don't like.

20. jmc247

jmc247 Well-Known Member

The US military has to make that choice every time we try to kill bad guy there are often good people caught in the middle with the enemy intentionally forcing us to make that choice and if we don't make it good people die anyway from their actions as would have happened here so its tough.

That also wasn't a civilian aircraft, it was a private Trask Industries jet. Is there a difference? Most on the plane never hurt a mutant yes, but their employer creates Sentinels, and enslaves and experiments on mutants.

As for it being too much Lorna in the comics at her most radical... well The Gifted Lorna even by the finale isn't as radical as comic Lorna was in the 2002-2005 era they are heavily taking from where to Lorna leveling of a whole human city would have been fine because they allowed their tax dollars to fund genocidal robots.

The era and story lines they are heavily taking from Esme gets Magneto (later retconned) addicted to kick and pushes him to kill thousands in NYC.

[​IMG]

Lorna's view on events.

[​IMG]

And, even that is not comic Lorna at her most extreme.

The thing about The Gifted Lorna is while she is in fact militantly pro-mutant she is a far ways away from comic Lorna at her most radical where all humans started becoming the enemy of mutants not just bad ones with unfortunate people caught in the middle.

21. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

I'm afraid I must agree as well. This showed sporadic glimmers of potential that it just hasn't fulfilled at all, imo. I may tune into the 1st couple eps of next season to see if there's improvement, but I'm VERY close to dropping it at this point.

22. ludovica

I'd definitely not put it as binary as good guys and bad guys, the show itself preaches it is a limiting view.
    Otherwise she would just be another shade of bad.

I prefer heroes trying to be white knights :-)oldrazz:), failings and shortcomings notwithstanding.

23. ludovica

Thirded.
    The set up in the first season has been limiting but nothing, except budget, has to limit them now, they can expand the world.

Superhero costumes would go a long way for me, even AoS style should be enough.
    I'm easy to please really.

24. jmc247

jmc247 Well-Known Member

The character is as the actress says not a hero.

The character believes in trying to change the world's political structures so humans and mutants can live side by side without fear. That leads her to take actions that by most comic standards one would consider bad if not evil and its been that way since her inception in 1968.

[​IMG]

25. ludovica

The first word balloon of Magneto (I think) in the picture you posted is essentially my argument and my gripe.