The Goose Discussion Thread

DxC-6NVUUAAUeym

Remember when people were saying that Chewie didn't even have to be in the movie? And now look at her, she even got her own personal poster.

Maybe there was some condition to Disney acquiring Star Wars that the characters names aren't allowed to be used in other Disney properties? A bit like Marvel can't use the term "mutant" in their movies. I might be clutching at straws here, but that's the only explanation I can come up with.

As a cat owner, Chewie is a better name for a cat than Goose (names ending in "ie" are great for calling your cat outside in the middle of the night when it's gone awol)

It's probably just that they're worried that if the cat becomes popular it would be too self-referential and potentially confusing to have both Chewies. Better to let it have its own name.

It's probably just that they're worried that if the cat becomes popular it would be too self-referential and potentially confusing to have both Chewies. Better to let it have its own name.
I think that's probably the main reason.

Guess it's time to change the thread title.

People are loving them some Goose, as he's got the most liked poster of any of them. He's basically this film's Porg or Baby Groot.

Chew the scenery?
Something tells me that Goose will be chewing a lot more than that.

I'm mildly annoyed by the name change, with Chewbacca being my favorite fictional character of all time and all (hence the avatar pic), but I'm also a huge sucker for cats, so that makes me happy :)

Last edited:
The only thing that bothers me about the name change is the idea that they might be eliminating her Star Wars nerddom completely. I hope that's not the case.

Here's What You Need to Know About Goose The Cat, The Cutest Character In 'Captain Marvel'

There’s a faint meowing sound coming from the Los Angeles set of Captain Marvel. This isn’t exactly the kind of place you’d expect to find almost a half a dozen cats hanging out in cages alongside the likes of Brie Larson (making her first appearance as the titular superhero) and Samuel L. Jackson (returning for his ninth appearance as Nick Fury). But, Marvel’s first female-led superhero film prominently features a cat, so there are cats on set — four of them, to be exact, all playing the same role.

[...]

But why are we even talking about this cat? Just what does Goose have to do with the greater Marvel Cinematic Universe? Knowing how Marvel loves to hide easter eggs and references to other titles in their films, Goose probably has a much greater role than we even realize. While producer Jonathan Schwartz wouldn’t offer up major specifics during a visit to the film’s set back in May 2018, he does explain that, “Carol’s [cat] friend is a very important part of the conflicts, [and] we thought would be really cool to see in a movie. That’s basically where [the idea to include Goose] came from and it’s awesome.”

[...]

As for the cats themselves, Schwartz is eager to tell us that, “In order to have a cat on screen — and this is what I learned doing this movie — you have to have an A-team of cats who all have a specialty, so there’s like a cat that you hold, and a cat that rubs up on your leg, and a cat that will swipe at you, and a cat that’s just the face cat.”

And since everyone likes to know the who's who of animals on-screen, Captain Marvel has enlisted four different orange tabbies from Animals for Hollywood to play the role of Goose: Gonzo, Rizzo, Archie, and Reggie. In case you’re wondering, yes, all the cats get along very well with Jackson, as the chemistry we see on screen between the veteran actor and the felines is very real.

Reggie is considered the “hero” cat, and the cat the CGI will be based on for the final film. As Ursula Brauner, one of the onset trainers from Animals of Hollywood, explains that’s simply because she took him to the first meeting to cast the cat, and he’s the most experienced with on-camera work.

The entire article is a nice read. It seems that Samuel L. Jackson is a cat-daddy. :D: I hope that at least one of the cats gets a credit in the cast listing. Dogs always get screen credits. Why not feline actors?

Nice! I love cat dads!

I wonder where they got the cat from? I hope they adopted it from a shelter and found it a nice forever home after filming wrapped

DxC-6NVUUAAUeym

Remember when people were saying that Chewie didn't even have to be in the movie? And now look at her, she even got her own personal poster.
Look at how far she’s come. :D

The only thing that bothers me about the name change is the idea that they might be eliminating her Star Wars nerddom completely. I hope that's not the case.
Agreed on that. We need CM’s nerd attributes.

Apparently at a screen testing recently the cat stole the show.

Yay marvel have a new star! But when will she have her own spin off?

Get ready guys, Goose is about to be a household name.

What if Goose is a normal cat, but can discern Skrulls and her reaction to them is why Fury ONLY lost an eye...

Ha that would be cool. Maybe that’s why cats see stuff that’s not there. Because they’re watching super skrulls with invisible powers wandering around.

Yay marvel have a new star! But when will she have her own spin off?
Goose will call out Rocket in the credits for a 1 on 1 cage match at Summerslam.

I had a feeling that would be the case. I hope to see the cat interacting with Rocket Racoon, altough I suppose it's possible that it got dusted at the end of IW :hehe:

I had a feeling that would be the case. I hope to see the cat interacting with Rocket Racoon, altough I suppose it's possible that it got dusted at the end of IW :hehe:
You take that thought right back out of the ether you threw it in! :argh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"