The Hype TV Club Discussion Thread

I hope to hell we can start a brand new (better) list for next year.

Graceland is so enjoyable when it's good, and the good thing that there is more good than bad. The end of season two to season three really killed the show though when they ruined one character in particular. Even then it's one of the better fed procedural shows in this decade.

Boo, another one I've seen. At least Graceland is better than Marco Polo. Or at least it starts off that way. It kinda goes off the rails, imo. I didn't realize how little I cared about it anymore until my reaction to its recent cancellation was...*shrug.*

Just quoting this to show how much of a horrible person you are, and why babies are crying everywhere.

still participating here more than Toonth though

Yea, I dropped the ball, yall moved on without me. Deuces.

December's show is:

1549glu.jpg

edit: i didn't fix the typo cuz i didn't want to alter the wheel

Okay. We need to do the Skype finalizing call for 2016 before it gets too late and some of us get busy during the holidays. Plus I know one show I've been thinking of picking that got really enticing today. Who is down for the Friday call?

We're coming up on 2016, so we're going to be posting the new shows in this thread soon. In the mean time let's recap our favorite shows of the year in list form. Here are my rankings for the 12 shows:

1. Nikita-Duh. One of the best shows I've ever watched, and one of the best written female protagonists in an action show of all time. ALL TIME! The big villains really helped make the heroes even better. This was easily one of the best spy stories in any type of media. This is what happens when they write female characters with agency and responsibility. It makes them more of a badass when they own people. Nikita owned lots of people. She is my homegirl.

2. Marco Polo-Can't wait for the Hundred Eyes special this Friday, and then season two after that. I can't get enough of the story that they are weaving, and the characters are all very interesting. I love the setting as well. You don't see too many shows set in this region during this era.

3. Bates Motel-This was the surprise of the year for me. I didn't think I'd like it as much as I did, but they found a way to make things interesting. Norman's journey into the Psycho is on great display here, and Freddie Highmore and Vera Farmiga definitely deserve all the love they're getting for their fantastic portrayals.

4. Graceland-When it's on it's really good. When they practically killed the show by ruining a few characters it got pretty sad to watch. It's too bad they ran themselves into cancellation. There was something great here that suffered the unnecessary drama that was the main focus of season three. For one and 3/4s of season two it was great though.

5. Fringe-Like Graceland this show descended into something less lovable by the time it ended, but boy was it some good **** in those first three seasons. I didn't like how they would seem to toss aside story lines that were being built up, but they did give us a lot to enjoy. Dat Walter, boy I tell ya h'wat.

6. Firefly-It was a short ride, but a fun ride nonetheless. I can go into detail about what might have been, but what was entertained me all the way through.

7. Farscape-Something of a slight disappointment. I really like it, but there did seem to be a lot of filler at times. I did start watching season three, finally, and I do love it so far. I feel like this series might have been better with less episodes, but we'll see how it ends when I finally finish it all. Overall it's a good show that sets itself apart of many space operas.

8. Bitten-Surprisingly good first season that ended up being much better than I anticipated. I was hooked. Like the N.W.O. I was about to be a fan 4 lyfe....but then season two came. The introduction of the witches killed this show, and it placed most of what made season one so good in the background. It got so bad by the season finale of season two that I completely stopped caring about the show.

9. Being Human-I feel like this show spent too much time trying to find itself that it didn't expand upon what could have been great about it. In the first season I liked the idea, and the execution was solid for the most part. It was in season two that I felt like I was wasting my time, and I realized that I didn't care for these characters anymore.

10. Game of Thrones-Yes. I ranked this show low as hell. Big whoop. Wanna fight about it? I hate this show. The characters are not that interesting, and on top of it I hate them all besides Arya. She only wins by default at that. The action scenes were really terrible, and this is just more of the same old boring fantasy **** that we see all the time. Just because it's more brutal didn't do it for me. This is by far the biggest disappointment for me this year. I had such high hopes. I haven't been this disappointed since when I saw the original Star Wars trilogy and it sucked just as bad as the prequels. /triggering two fandoms at once

11. Twin Peaks-Another disappointment. I thought that this would be interesting, but this is just weird **** that seemed to go nowhere. Reading that Lynch didn't even want to solve the mystery of Laura Palmer's death until much later shows why I hated this show. It felt like it dragged so many things out, and just had people do weird things just to catch your attention. In the end I wasn't digging it.

12. Hemlock Grove-****ing Toonth.:cmad:

Too bad we didn't get to Buffy, Person of Interest, and Hannibal. I might make time for those next year since they all look interesting.

1. Firefly- One of those rare shows that I gave a second try and end up loving.

aaand that's all folks.

well at least you participated a little
and you saw Game of Thrones, but not necessarily in our timeframe? or at least not all of it.

i'll do my update soon :)

I wanted to rewatch Game of Thrones during that month but I think I was way too busy.

Do you guys want to start a new thread for next year's shows or stick with this one? And also, who's going first to spin the wheel?

I think we should just stick the main shows to this thread instead of creating a new one. Then we should just make the show threads every month. I also think Kane should spin the wheel first. It gets a newbie out of the way, and plus I flipped a coin and it came up on him.

CC is lazy and slow, so I'm going to post the new shows here before the show gets picked. 2016's shows will be randomly selected from the list below.

2016 Shows

Samurai Jack
Justified
Leverage
Sliders
Gundam Wing
Sons of Anarchy
Turn: Washington's Spies
Legends
Boardwalk Empire
Luther
Archer
Fargo
Alias
Sense8
Bloodline
Battlestar Galactica(2004)
Gargoyles
Orphan Black
Chuck
Band of Brothers/The Pacific

Just to break down things again. Each month one show will be selected randomly by one of the five members of the Deadly Venoms club each month except for the last two months which will be wild card months. During wild card month each member will pick a show to watch without any stipulations, and we'll just talk about them in the threads like normal. There will be a thread created by the member who picked the show out of an internet hat, and in that thread we'll discuss the show. Anyone can join in the discussion, so don't be shy on that front if you want to watch a show with us. We aim to watch at least the first season of whichever show is picked. This will give us a chance to get into some new shows, or revisit some of that we have already seen. 2016 should be a good year with some of the shows listed!

Thanks

I'm leaving this logo here in case anyone want to stick it on top of their banner like I did.

8kmqsR2.png

The good thing is that the 4th season of Luther just ended too, so if the show is good we'll be able to get into all of it. It's short as hell as well. First season is six episodes, second and third are four, and the fourth season is only two episodes. Here is to hoping that Spoons is right and that Luther is as good as season one of True Detective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"